Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
And the developers of Final Fantasy 4 are in the Dwarf Castle.

On another note, just wanted to say I'm loving how this LP turning out. The Legend one was amazing, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Don't forget the Game Freak office in every Pokemon region.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Raitzeno posted:

Don't forget the Game Freak office in every Pokemon region.

FredMSloniker posted:

The Pokemon games often let you visit Game Freak's office, if I recall.

:colbert:

(Huh. When I'm quoted, it's colored gold. That's new.)

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

Hi, Mr. Apollo!

Please, just call me Apollo.

The first thing I thought of was this. Now he is two separate gorillas.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, the developers show up in LOTS of games as self-inserts. In addition to the previous examples, there's Goat Simulator, a sort of sideways-by-proxy example in Dominions, a very popular violent game for which it would be a spoiler, some of the GTA games, Eternal Daughter...Earthbound, I think, has some of the developers show up, in addition to tons of other RPGs.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
And of course Saga Frontier.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Terranigma had the developers in the japanese city. I ... think there was a ghost involved or something? Terranigma was weird.

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.
On the terrible side of games, there's also Bubsy 3D and... Pokemon Quartz. :gonk:

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Earthbound, I think, has some of the developers show up

There's a house you can't enter in Fourside, where the sign outside says it's the development area for Earthbound 2. Honestly, EB has its fair share of meta-references.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Don't forget the Two Guys from Andromeda showing up in Space Quest II.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There's also a cameo in Space Quest where Roger Wilco crash lands in King's quest and one of the people in the castle went "Go back to sleep Roberta" - being Roberta Williams.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
In Might & Magic I you spent the entire game trying to locate the Inner Sanctum. Then when you finally get there, you discover an overweight bearded guy sitting in front of a computer, presumably the game's creator Jon van Caneghem.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Zero has a sunscreen mustache. :allears: It's the little things.

I'm also surprised no one sang the praises of pants in Giant's World. There's a Pants Depot and everything!

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Oh my god. I am so glad I found this...I have got to get that search upgrade sooner or later to find my favorite authors faster....
Anyhow! I am so glad you are doing FFL2. I never really got into this game, got more into 3. I'll be glad to see where you go with this.
Also, what the hell happened with Apollo's Party?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Silegna posted:

Also, what the hell happened with Apollo's Party?

We.... Don't like to talk about that night. :smith:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Silegna posted:

Oh my god. I am so glad I found this...I have got to get that search upgrade sooner or later to find my favorite authors faster....

Just do what I do: Use the LP Forum RSS Feed with IFTTT, and have it send you a notification any time there's a new LP.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

Just do what I do: Use the LP Forum RSS Feed with IFTTT, and have it send you a notification any time there's a new LP.

If I knew how to use that, I would.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Silegna posted:

Just go here and click Add Recipe. Edit it to use iOS Notifications if you have an iPhone.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Silegna posted:

If you find "new" technology scary and confusing, you can always just periodically load that page and check for new threads manually. Still easier than trawling the forums for threads you haven't seen before.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

Just go here and click Add Recipe. Edit it to use iOS Notifications if you have an iPhone.

I..uh, I go on the forums from a laptop. I don't own an Iphone. Go ahead and mock me for it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Technology jokes aside, IFTTT is pretty rad. You can check the aforementioned RSS feed for certain keywords (say, Chokes McGee :iamafag: ) and route them to a simple email. I highly recommend playing around with it.

That being said, its not like you need any other LP :smuggo:

Asura United
Oct 17, 2014

HA! HA!
Well, hello.
You could also do what I do and use the LP Master List. It's how I found out about this one! :eng101:

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Someone from the Twitch Plays Pokemon thread brought this up:

StealthArcher posted:

Twitch Plays FFLegend 2 would have them in an unwinnable save by Ashura.

Is this hyperbole or is it actually possible to get to an unwinnable state?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Frocobo posted:

We're actually not too far off from where I had to reset after my first real game hit a brick wall with the RNG after I tried to skate through just buying nice equipment and shoving myself at the enemy instead of actually paying attention to how my level ups worked, I want to say a single world away. The game, she is a fickle mistress and can easily decide she's done with you.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.

Frocobo posted:

That's funny, because I can't really think of a single state in which this game would be unwinnable, other than Twitch playing it of course. This is not the kind of game that lends itself to random movement and chaotic input. Other than the premise alone though, the game always gives you a way to fix mistakes if you're willing to take that path.

That doesn't mean it doesn't like kicking you in the shins, though.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
If all you had in the party were weaponless humans, though, you couldn't actually win a fight.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mad Fnorder posted:

If all you had in the party were weaponless humans, though, you couldn't actually win a fight.

Even if you had mutants/robots/monsters in your party, though, there's no way you'd be able to make it through a dungeon before your attack abilities ran out of uses.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Even if you had mutants/robots/monsters in your party, though, there's no way you'd be able to make it through a dungeon before your attack abilities ran out of uses.

There's no guarantee that the capricious whims of the Internet wouldn't throw away all your weapons though (you probably wouldn't have very many to begin with due to the chore of buying and equipping items.)

UmbreonMessiah posted:

That's funny, because I can't really think of a single state in which this game would be unwinnable, other than Twitch playing it of course. This is not the kind of game that lends itself to random movement and chaotic input. Other than the premise alone though, the game always gives you a way to fix mistakes if you're willing to take that path.

Any point where 1) you have no attacks and 2) you have no way to acquire attacks without winning a battle is an unwinnable game state. You'd have to be trying pretty hard, but it's possible. Generally speaking to be truly unwinnable it has to be right before a boss/mini-boss, since if you can run from battles long enough to make it to a treasure chest (or NPC event) you might theoretically have a chance.

If you have 4 monsters it's possible to evolve them all to the point where they can't kill anything, at which point you can no longer get any meat to evolve them to anything else; there are very few points in the game where you can do anything in this situation.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.

Gabriel Pope posted:

If you have 4 monsters it's possible to evolve them all to the point where they can't kill anything, at which point you can no longer get any meat to evolve them to anything else; there are very few points in the game where you can do anything in this situation.

It is next to bloody impossible to get a monster lineup wherein you can't do anything to anything. You would have to be extremely unlucky for this to happen, or once again, be trying to make it happen. Even then, monsters are BLESSED with inflated Agility stats, so you can run away from any fight you can't win and then go get new meat to fix the problem. Bosses are an entirely different matter, but there's always a way to abuse the monster lineup to make that a non-issue.

Unwinnable situations are really, really hard to get into in FFL2, is what I'm saying. Even in the worst situations, you've always got hope.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm sure that were twitch to play FFL2, we would get lots of fan art about how the party has to spend half their waking hours staring at the Prism :allears:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
You could theoretically get out of most rough situations just by repeat saving and loading and dragging yourself tile by tile to safety.

That said, I think there's at least one boss area that you can't get out of once you've entered it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mad Fnorder posted:

Yeah, this (and having zero gold when it happens) is the only unwinnable state I can think of. You can always back everything back out to First World and start over from scratch if things go horribly wrong, unless you have zero weapons and no way to replenish them.

Then again, you have to try really hard to pull that off, to the point where you're actively attempting to get into that state.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

And that all goes back to Twitch Plays, which would, almost inevitably, end up with the game stuck in an unwinnable state.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Side note: Hilariously, FFL1 actually had a way to get out of an unwinnable state. Fire a party member and hire a new one, and they'll come with weapons. You can trudge all the way back to Base Town and start over from there. The only time you can't do that is once you've made it to Paradise, and at that point, lol wut.

So FFL2 managed to regress in some way while cleaning up everything else. Drakengard SaGa!

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

You could just run from encounters until you find a chest right?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

ShadeofBlue posted:

You could just run from encounters until you find a chest right?

Assuming you haven't opened them all. :laugh:

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Although technically not 'unwinable' there are lots of parts in the game where you have a boss fight ahead of you and no way to back out if you've saved past a certain point. If it turns out that boss is too hard for you, you're basically screwed.

There is 1 point in particular that we are coming up to soon in the game where I know I was almost in such a position, and I believe there are like 2 other such positions in the game I'm aware of.

FFL2 doesn't pull its punches in a lot of cases.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Oh right, I forgot that there's actually one in the next update, isn't there. :doh:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Seyser Koze posted:

Oh right, I forgot that there's actually one in the next update, isn't there. :doh:

Wow. Yeah, you're right I forgot one of the upcoming sections is one way. Blatantly so, at that.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can think of a really easy way to get to an unwinnable state, that being using the trash as an item at the wrong time, which can delete magi and leave you unable to go to the next world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Bonus Feature A1: Mr. S Explains It All—Combat and Stats

Ah! Pardon, I didn't expect you so soon. One moment.

There we are. Now. It's come to our attention that the director of this endeavour has made a number of errors in his explanations. I'm sure he meant well, but let's be honest, there's only so much we can expect from him.

Yeah, I appreciate the—hey!

Not to worry, though! It turns out several members of our viewing audience are SaGa veterans, and they're willing to share their extensive knowledge with us. Sadly, there won't be much in the way of jokes or flashy graphics or what-have-you. If you're into that sort of thing, you may want to hold out until our next update, where I assume Miss DiMarco will commit some violent atrocity and Mr. Sigma will make a glib joke about it.

You better believe it, buddy!

Hmm. Well, let's start with some mathematical information from Choco1980:

Choco1980 posted:

One thing people haven't talked about here is the bizarre way the random encounters work. See, the big secret to the game is they aren't actually random. Instead, the battle setups (ie, what enemies you fight and how many) are determined by an incredibly complex set of variables that are difficult-to-impossible to orchestrate deliberately.

This is quite the salient point. For those of you from worlds with a higher technology level, you may be aware of "pseudo-randomness." Computers are deterministic machines and cannot pick purely random numbers the same way humans, monsters, &c. can. If one simulates the original "seed," or start, of a pseudorandom chain, every "random" number that follows will be the same as before. This is by and large negated by using the computer's internal clock as the starting seed, thus ensuring every run-through starts on a different seed. In theory, it's possible to recreate a pseudorandom chain by resetting the clock—but there are so many factors, not the least of which is execution order and time, that it might as well be purely random. This does not take into account supposed "clumping" that arises from non-complex pseudorandom chain caclulations, but that's another subject entirely, and one that you won't find here.

The ultimate point is this: the original Game Boy didn't have an onboard clock to use as a pseudo-randomization seed. And so, the seed had to be cobbled together based on the one unpredictable factor it could find: user input. It really was the best option available, but unfortunately, the programmers thought it an excellent idea to store the randomization seed into the battery backup whenever the user saved. The repercussions of this will be left as an exercise to the reader, but I assure you: this won't be the last time you hear about this.

Now, on to some corrections! Sadly, the author was not 100% accurate in his assessment of SaGa combat. Fortunately, we have Gabriel Pope, an expert in the matter. I assume Pope is ex-military, as his knowledge of the battle field is quite exceptional.

Gabriel Pope posted:

You're working too hard, unfortunately. FFL2 just keeps track of your most recent action, so only the last attack you use counts for stat ups--trying to drag out the fight is pointless as long as everyone has a turn.

Unfortunate, but not too far off from what was stated—and the original point of not wasting weapon uses still stands. However, Chokes was catastrophically incorrect that one cannot train defense. In fact, not more than a day after that claim was made, Miss DiMarco gained a point of defense from all the shield work she was doing while Sara and Zero trained.

I didn't tell him because it was totally funnier that way! :mmmhmm:

And if that weren't enough, gatesealer provides the final nail in the coffin:

gatesealer posted:

You can actually level up defense. It mostly involves just using a shield in combat and then you get a chances at increasing your defense. Mutants have a better chance of this than humans do. [...] The trick is that you need to take off all your other armor so that your chance increases since the math includes your current defense rating with armor included to determine your chance (low defense = higher chance of a level).

So, there you have it. Strip naked and dare someone to hit your shield. It's good for personal growth.

Finally, we round out the discussion by visiting a few glitches brought to our attention by Gabriel Pope. First is basic racial predispositions. I'm not a believer in eugenics, but there are notable DNA differences between our various races that can't be denied.

GabrielPope posted:

-Humans have all-around better stat growth than mutants
-Mutant agility growth supposed to be on par with mutant defense/mana/HP but due to a bug it's somewhat slower
-Human defense and mutant strength have near-zero growth (on purpose for humans, by accident for mutants)

So, one can see that humans will evolve every stat but Defense quite quickly, whereas Espers can make tremendous defensive gains but will hardly ever increase strength. Quite frankly, this makes Heather's defense gains even more baffling.

Like, my mom always said I was exceptional!

I think the word you're looking for is "special."

Hey! No one mentioned you this update.

Ladies, please. Furthermore, Pope seems to know a little something about magi that we don't:

Gabriel Pope posted:

It gets even better! The code for the elemental boost is bugged, so Fire and Thunder magi actually boost all attack spells including non-elemental ones (Poison and Ice magi boost fire spells only.) It's nice having what amounts to 3 copies of the Mana magi--Fire/Thunder magi don't apply to healing or physical mana-based weapons, but those aren't what you're using Mana magi for in the first place.

The resistances mostly work as intended, except Thunder and Ice are flipped. Whoops.

A nasty surprise for people who think they're electricity-proof, I should think. This is particularly relevant in lieu of the following information from UmbreonMessiah:

UmbreonMessiah posted:

Realistically, Agility and Mana are the only important stats...and even then, Mana is the god-stat. [...] Why? Because Mana doesn't just determine how much damage you deal with magic attacks, it also determines how much healing spells heal you for.

[...] As well, agility affects your hit rate in some...odd fashion. Meaning if you're going to use weapons, just use agility weapons so you don't have to raise TWO separate stats to do your job.

Or just use magic, which is all based on Mana and can't miss.

I think UmbreonMessiah does discount some rather fine strength weapons, but the overall point is sound. Problems, however, quickly become apparent when one realizes Mr. Butte does not have a mana rating.

Huh. So that explains why you let me skip spellcasting last spring.

Indeed. One cannot squeeze blood from a stone, and on a teacher's salary, I'm not inclined to try.

At any rate, Umbreon does the math for us:

UmbreonMessiah posted:

Just to take the Cure Book as an example of the game's healing formula, the book heals for MANA(Caster's + Target's)*4. So if you were a 90 Mana mutant healing an 80 Mana whatever, you'd restore ~680 HP. However, since poor Roy has 0 mana, the same cure book used on him would only restore 360 HP

AUGH

Augh, indeed.

Is that what I have to look forward to in this LP?!

Probably!

:sigh:

Well, that's all for now! Thanks so much for your time; we'll be returning to the ongoing story after this. However, should you see anything else awry, please don't hesitate to let us know. I'm quite confident there'll be at least one mistake between now and the end.

Seriously, I'm your writer. Stop making me look bad.

You can't do a thing about it. I'm union.

Next Time: True Eye? More Like True Lies

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 27, 2014

• Locked thread