Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Green Intern posted:

I had sort of assumed that wave 2 would be proceeding to the next floor automatically. Isn't that what happened with wave 1?

ah, need to add a bit - there was a blurb last time starting they needed to touch the fire. I just gave people a breather round before going through. I'll modify the post accordingly

Edit: modified post to point out all you need is to touch the fire

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Sharpener Joe
Since no one have taken any initiative and we all are clearly rested enough. Joe touches the fire after telling the group.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Roscoe

A good scent hound can sniff out anything. A good magehound will dive through fire to get to it. With a yip, Roscoe slips through the burning flame.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Treat this as a continuation of the last update - no Talents have recharged any more, this is just getting Wave 2 to the Concept Forge

Roscoe and Joe both bound into the flame - The Maze implodes, walls folding neatly into the floor, cramming it and the amphitheatre into a single point, then folding in on itself to deposit all of them in a great foggy hall made for a giant.

In the distance, you can hear the pounding of hammers against an anvil. But what sort of hammers could produce such a sound? You can feel the impact in your bones, through the air, like a physical strike. In between columns in the hallway you have found yourself in, there lie wide, flat bowls like swimming pools. And within?

Jewels. Piles of flawless, flawless jewels. Ranging from the size of fists to the size of heads, even some you could not hope to carry on your own. Even the smallest would see you set for life. Yet they lie here, discarded, like rubbish.

---

The noise gets louder as you approach, and you begin to see a figure through the fog. A towering, four armed woman pounds rhytmically on the anvil before her, each strike sending plasma coruscating around her form. She does not react as the energy touches upon her - at least, not that you can tell - she has no face, just a smooth plane of stone. She does not react when you approach.

Periodically, she reaches one of her four hands into one of four basins set into the sculptured stone before her. They plunge into the water up to the elbow, and she draws out something, holding it up before her blank face, before placing it on the anvil and continuing her task. As you approach - without fear, knowing what you now know - she pauses, placing her hammers on the floor beside her.

"WELCOME. ANOTHER WAVE, SO SOON? HOW VERY PLEASANT! MORE IDEAS FOR THE FORGE - SO MUCH BETTER THAN ALL THESE WORTHLESS BAUBLES."

She places two of her hands on her hips, raising one finger of the remaining free hand and pointing at the sky.

"NOW THEN, I WILL SPEAK THE WORDS. THE TERMS OF MY SERVICE ARE SUCH: YOU MUST GIVE ME A CONCEPT, SOMETHING OF VALUE TO YOU AS AN INDIVIDUAL. (If only someone had asked you for mysterious concepts at character creation... ) I WILL TAKE ONE OF SUCH FROM EACH OF YOU, AND CREATE A GREAT WORK."

She splashes with one hand in one of the pools before her, idly.

"IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, ASK THEM ONCE YOU HAVE GRANTED A CONCEPT. I WILL ANSWER SHOULD IT BE IN MY POWER OR IF I FEEL SO INCLINED... OR PERHAPS YOU WOULD TALK? THAT WOULD NOT BE SO TERRIBLE, EITHER."

With this, she takes her hand off her face and crosses all four arms, waiting.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Roscoe

Something of value? Roscoe paws the ground, thinking. Of everything in his life, he can't help but think about the old goatherd, Ruben, who lived on the Order's lands and tended their flocks. A mean old cuss, he nevertheless had a soft spot for Roscoe. Maybe he was just lonely? He must have been, even with all of those goats around. There was a second bed in his home; it was always empty, old, dusty. Like its owner was missing and not coming back.

The dog sighs contentedly has he recalls days spent chasing goats into pens at Ruben's direction. Then, an evening of pets and snoozing by a fire! Ruben would always get this grim look on his face whenever Roscoe had to return to the Order for other work, but he'd always light back up whenever the dog returned! Ah, good times.

It was memories like this that made Roscoe never want to give up his pack.

Edited this to make it clearer. I wrote it up kind of fast last night before bed. I think that the goatherd was terribly lonely

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 26, 2014

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Koko tossed and turned as she dreamed images of her youth.

Something was deeply wrong, though at the time she couldn't quite put her finger on it.

The boredom.

The isolation.

Yearning to breathe free.

Koko roared and jolted upright.
No matter what happened here in the tower, she was never going back.

Koko gives up captivity.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Name - Xyz'ck-MK.2 "Mark"
Health - 22
Armor - 14
Accuracy - +1

As much as Mark's observers are interested in the ancient goblin burial grounds the other waves seek the top and are advancing quickly. The time for dawdling is over. Mark takes off for the gate and leaps through it.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

You have my fist bro bump for that you mangy mammal.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Amo the Shy
Health- 19 Armor - 11 Accuracy- +1

Amo's shoulders slump a bit as he sees the spectacle of the skeleton flop back down to the ground as it begins to rise but he isn't going to be swayed from trying to get at least something from this floor. Hesitantly breaking off from Mark as it takes off for the portal he jumps down into the pit ambling up to the skull of the creature and begins gnawing on bits of the skull intent on breaking the jaw of the creature off into a manageable size to club things with.

13+8=21 Devouring those pesky chunks of bone that are in my way! :black101: He's gonna bite things one way or the other!

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 26, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Edited my above post to make it more clear/specific.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Sharpener Joe

Joe thoughts for a moment, and then say, "I was born to challange this tower, so I have no prior life before my creation."

Looking at his stick hand, he continues, "my Creator clearly put a lot of love and effort into creating me, otherwise I won't have even survive that Titan's attack."

Joe then look at the blacksmith's eyes on her hands and say, "speaking of the Titan, he is the most powerful foe I ever met. When I escaped from getting royally dusted from behind, I thought, oh my Creator, if that is the final boss of this tower, then I-we can't ever hope to defeat it."

After a mere pause, Joe say with determination, if you are a great blacksmith, then my concept is for you to make something that can deal with this Undefeatable Foe known to me as the Titan!

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

quote:

Longwei
Health: 18 + 4 = 22.
Armor: 13
Accuracy: +1
Skills: Interior decorating, resisting poison, digging
Abilities: Nature's sting, breath of the Titan Arum, amorphous algae assault
Talent: Might of the morass.

Longwei rolled over onto his back and breathed in deeply, his claws kneading and his wings twitching as he dreamed of pleasanter times. Unfortunately, his slumber is
interrupted as the ground shifts. Cracking open one eye, Longwei is perturbed to notice that the inedible object has moved. No longer feeling quite as safe, or as tired, he shakes his head, rolls over, and waddles out of his comfortable little divot. He blunders aimlessly past the activity surrounding the inedible object, and almost wanders through the gate, but stops suddenly upon seeing a flower. Many flowers, in fact. How had he missed all of them? Longwei loved flowers! He swishes his tail, sits on his haunches, and stares at the flower contemplatively. Wow.

(Contemplating a flower: 7 + 3 = 10)

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Cookie the Wizard

Disappointed and frustrated with his inability to resurrect the giant goblin skeleton, Cookie vents his feelings by blasting the remaining pillars with surges of magical fire. Once done, he makes his way to the portal.

Health: 20 - Armor: 11 - Accuracy: +1
(Nahal's reckless dweomer, 1d20+3=20, http://orokos.com/roll/234401)

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Twinkledorf

The deep gnome nonchalantly cracks off a finger bone from the goblin skeleton, nibbling on it thoughtfully before placing it in some pocket or bag in the sea of cloth covering his body.

After that, he follows the others to the portal.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Mini update for Wave 1!

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Name - Mr. Pat Miyagi
Health - 32
Armor - 16
Accuracy - +1
Skills - Stealth, Jump, Acrobatics
-5 to movement related Skills until end of floor

Miyagi screams in pain as the spear lodges into his thigh. So that's how it goes - fail the question and someone takes the brunt of the failure to answer. Miyagi has to decide what to do next. He certainly is in no form to fight, and the blasted spear hurt. Whoever he chooses must be able to bear the brunt should he fail to answer the question...

"For the next question
I assign one that heals fast
Thus I choose the pie."

The Sphinx smiles a toothy smile at Miyagi's impromptu poetry.
"Fair enough - the Pie-man surely looks tasty. I approve both of the haiku and of your choice of sacrifice. Well now, hearken to my second question - as your group has yet to answer correctly, and you still need three to satisfy my geas. My question: WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU WILL FIND AT THE TOP?"
A rolling shrug of her forelimbs.
"I suppose you could try to lie to me, though I can't see the point of that. Best make it entertaining, else the pie may regret your mundanity."

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Name - Mr. Pat Miyagi
Health - 32
Armor - 16
Accuracy - +1

"HAH!" Miyagi laughs, although he ends the laugh in a coughing fit - The pain of having a glass shard tends to end your laughter at situations quite a bit!

"There is only one valid answer if you are referring to mortal beings. I have only found pain and loss so far in this tower, what else could be lost?

WE FIND ONLY WHAT WE BRING TO THE TOP.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Name - Bofan Burmud
Race - Dwarfish, mostly
Class - Alchemist
Health -40 http://orokos.com/roll/217581
Armor - 11 http://orokos.com/roll/217583 31 For the next four rounds
Accuracy - +1
Skills - Alchemy, Competitive Drinking, Gambling
Abilities - "Cleaning Chemical Disaster", "Right Hook of the Drunk", and "Acid Surprise"
Talent - Can brew alcohol anywhere, anytime, with anything.
Motto - "They'll break my legs if I don't pay up!"
AI Action - If they're in my way and they don't want to drink with me, choose one of the abilities up there.

Inventory:Climbing Hook of +5, Glass of Identification (two charges) 4 bottles of Bofan's Basalt Brew (+5 defense for four rounds)

Chugs all of his Basalt Brew for +20 Defense for four rounds

"I ainc't gomt fwelinegs for these assholes but thta guy gave oup his past life to be here and you're playing with hmi like he's ja piebce of meazt. yol'lu ehave your price of bilood but it'll jbe your own!"

Smashed and feeling ornery, Bofan mixes acids Hydrofluoric, Sulfuric, and something that alchemists in another plane might've described as Chlorine trifluoride. Throwing the mixture at the Sphinx he finds that...

http://orokos.com/roll/234530 6

Most of those seemed to cancel each other out, maybe drinking four bottles of high-proof alcohol wasn't the best for mixing things on the fly.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be forever known that Grognan is a true blue Bro. Through and Through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bVnOfM1Lpo

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 27, 2014

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Grognan posted:

Name - Bofan Burmud
Race - Dwarfish, mostly
Class - Alchemist
Health -40 http://orokos.com/roll/217581
Armor - 11 http://orokos.com/roll/217583 31 For the next four rounds
Accuracy - +1
Skills - Alchemy, Competitive Drinking, Gambling
Abilities - "Cleaning Chemical Disaster", "Right Hook of the Drunk", and "Acid Surprise"
Talent - Can brew alcohol anywhere, anytime, with anything.
Motto - "They'll break my legs if I don't pay up!"
AI Action - If they're in my way and they don't want to drink with me, choose one of the abilities up there.

Inventory:Climbing Hook of +5, Glass of Identification (two charges) 4 bottles of Bofan's Basalt Brew (+5 defense for four rounds)

Chugs all of his Basalt Brew for +20 Defense for four rounds

"I ainc't gomt fwelinegs for these assholes but thta guy gave oup his past life to be here and you're playing with hmi like he's ja piebce of meazt. yol'lu ehave your price of bilood but it'll jbe your own!"

Smashed and feeling ornery, Bofan mixes acids Hydrofluoric, Sulfuric, and something that alchemists in another plane might've described as Chlorine trifluoride. Throwing the mixture at the Sphinx he finds that...

http://orokos.com/roll/234530 6

Most of those seemed to cancel each other out, maybe drinking four bottles of high-proof alcohol wasn't the best for mixing things on the fly.

Welp! Wave 1, feel free to take combat actions because Bofan just started poo poo! Otherwise I'll assume AI actions

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Mike Gallego posted:

Name: Valthax
Race: Strawberry Rhubarb
Class: Pie Lord
Health: 40
Armor: 12
Accuracy: +3
Skills: Pastrymancy, Speed Eating, Spellcraft

Pie Cutter of Truth

Gathering his great power, passed down within his family for generations, Valthax attempted to turn the great foe before him into a delicious pie.

Alas, it failed.

http://orokos.com/roll/234570 1d4=1

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Sevin Cazzuale : Health: 26 Armor: 12 Accuracy: +2 Crit. Range: 19-20
Inventory: Shaman Staff (3 charges), Green Shield (3 charges)

"Sorry about getting you hurt Mr. Miyagi. I didn't realize what volunteering you entailed."

Sevin will use sonic thrust to get in a quick attack before the sphinx can react to our attacks.

Sonic thrust: 17

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Music Theory posted:

Name - Chauncey
Race - Human
Class - Explorer
Health - 15
Armor - 13
Accuracy - +1

Skills - Athletics, Brawling, Acrobatics

Abilities - Fisticuffs, Dodge, Identify (Determines properties of the target)

Talent - Rescue: Somehow moves something to or away from Chauncey. An example would be throwing a person to a distant platform, or magnetically attracting a rare artifact from a distant era.

Motto - "Look, a rare statuette from the Wyrm Rebellion Era!"

AI Action - First, get any artifacts. Failing that or if there are none, rescue someone dramatically, or even undramatically. If none of these apply, investigate the surrounding area or punch something.

Mystery - Dashing, Britannia, pith helmet, Cunningly, Archeologist

FLOOR: 3, THE FALLING ROOM

Inventory:
  • Spear
  • Climbing Claws (+2 to climbing, +1 to melee accuracy)

I'm going to be pretty busy for a few days, so Chauncey's AI for the maze is to follow Giovanni and help him do whatever (Unless the whatever harms Chauncey). I might be able to check in occasionally, though.

Chauncey rummages around in his pack for a sandwich, because he doesn't have anything better to do and he's getting a bit hungry. Maybe he remembered to pack one before he came to the tower?

"Say, Tikki-whatsit, what are you going to do with that button?"

21 (Roll for sandwich, 1d20+1)

:wtf:

Music Theory fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 28, 2014

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Bronan

(OOC: Sorry - in all the hullaballoo over Thanksgiving I let this thread slide a bit. Mea maxima culpa!)

"A concept. Something of value to me as an individual." Bronan rubs his chin thoughtfully. He's been quiet for some time now, perhaps a little disappointed that he hadn't managed to find a loophole in the Maze's rules... but then, he decides, it had been worth trying. It's that thought that rings in his mind as the towering Forgemistress makes her demand, and it's that thought that makes him grin just a little bit. "I can do that. But first, if you don't mind, I gotta tell you a story."

Bronan steps forward, attempting to keep his gaze on the giant four-armed woman's face (or face-approximation-area, anyways) and not her equally giant - to his perspective, anyways - chest. Look, he's a Brobarian, he notices these things.

"See, I wasn't always a Brobarian. I actually was born in a village called Gheek. And, see, the Gheeks - that's what people that lived there were called, I dunno why - they had this thing going where, see, they had pretty advanced tech for the area. Best smiths, best farming, that kinda thing. But, see, none of 'em tried new poo poo. 'Cause they were always saying 'Man, what if it doesn't work? Just stick with what we know.' Which was smart, right? What they had was already the best around.

"Anyways, so one day a tribe of Broberians shows up and is all 'Hey, you guys make good stuff, how about you share?' An' the Gheeks were like 'hell no, this is our stuff, get out of here, Brobarians.' So the Brobarians went and burned the village to the ground and took a bunch of the kids off with them an' I was one of those kids. You with me so far?"

Bronan pauses, takes a swig from a mug. Where did he get a mug of stuff to drink? Doesn't matter. It's poetic license. Run with it.

"So, see, they taught me to grow up like a Brobarian. They hazed the poo poo out of me, man. I mean, they whaled on me with the Paddles of Penance an' made me chug from the Keg of Glory. All day every day I practiced the sacred arts of Beer Pong and Getting Swole. But for a long time it didn't take, see? I was all 'this is stupid, it won't work, I'm just gonna screw this up.' Then one day...

"...then one day I just said 'fuckit,' you know? 'Fuckit, maybe it will work. It's worth trying, anyways, 'cause those Paddles sting like a motherfucker.' An' drat if it didn't work out. I got Swole, bro! I got tough an' fearless an' I drank seven Elder Brothers under the table an' I picked up hot chicks an' I made that poo poo work, all 'cause one day I decided that bein' scared of failure was stupid.

"You want a sacrifice? You want me to give up a concept? I'll give you one I already gave up, one we all gotta work at giving up every day. That little voice that says 'you can't do it.' The one that says 'stay quiet and don't get noticed and no one will expect anything from you.' You can have my timidity, babe, an' once you take it an' hammer the poo poo out of it or whatever the gently caress it is you do, you wanna grab a beer? 'Cause that four arms thing's got me thinkin' about all kinds of crazy poo poo we could do together. Hell, hook us up with some booze, we can play Drink Strip Ping-Pong or somethin'."

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
The ghost of the Mark.1 laughs at the foolish barbarian's pick up line. It drifts over and whispers in Bronan's ear. "You have chosen...poorly"

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Bronan

(OOC: Sorry - in all the hullaballoo over Thanksgiving I let this thread slide a bit. Mea maxima culpa!)

"A concept. Something of value to me as an individual." Bronan rubs his chin thoughtfully. He's been quiet for some time now, perhaps a little disappointed that he hadn't managed to find a loophole in the Maze's rules... but then, he decides, it had been worth trying. It's that thought that rings in his mind as the towering Forgemistress makes her demand, and it's that thought that makes him grin just a little bit. "I can do that. But first, if you don't mind, I gotta tell you a story."

Bronan steps forward, attempting to keep his gaze on the giant four-armed woman's face (or face-approximation-area, anyways) and not her equally giant - to his perspective, anyways - chest. Look, he's a Brobarian, he notices these things.

"See, I wasn't always a Brobarian. I actually was born in a village called Gheek. And, see, the Gheeks - that's what people that lived there were called, I dunno why - they had this thing going where, see, they had pretty advanced tech for the area. Best smiths, best farming, that kinda thing. But, see, none of 'em tried new poo poo. 'Cause they were always saying 'Man, what if it doesn't work? Just stick with what we know.' Which was smart, right? What they had was already the best around.

"Anyways, so one day a tribe of Broberians shows up and is all 'Hey, you guys make good stuff, how about you share?' An' the Gheeks were like 'hell no, this is our stuff, get out of here, Brobarians.' So the Brobarians went and burned the village to the ground and took a bunch of the kids off with them an' I was one of those kids. You with me so far?"

Bronan pauses, takes a swig from a mug. Where did he get a mug of stuff to drink? Doesn't matter. It's poetic license. Run with it.

"So, see, they taught me to grow up like a Brobarian. They hazed the poo poo out of me, man. I mean, they whaled on me with the Paddles of Penance an' made me chug from the Keg of Glory. All day every day I practiced the sacred arts of Beer Pong and Getting Swole. But for a long time it didn't take, see? I was all 'this is stupid, it won't work, I'm just gonna screw this up.' Then one day...

"...then one day I just said 'fuckit,' you know? 'Fuckit, maybe it will work. It's worth trying, anyways, 'cause those Paddles sting like a motherfucker.' An' drat if it didn't work out. I got Swole, bro! I got tough an' fearless an' I drank seven Elder Brothers under the table an' I picked up hot chicks an' I made that poo poo work, all 'cause one day I decided that bein' scared of failure was stupid.

"You want a sacrifice? You want me to give up a concept? I'll give you one I already gave up, one we all gotta work at giving up every day. That little voice that says 'you can't do it.' The one that says 'stay quiet and don't get noticed and no one will expect anything from you.' You can have my timidity, babe, an' once you take it an' hammer the poo poo out of it or whatever the gently caress it is you do, you wanna grab a beer? 'Cause that four arms thing's got me thinkin' about all kinds of crazy poo poo we could do together. Hell, hook us up with some booze, we can play Drink Strip Ping-Pong or somethin'."

Bra-fuckin-vo.

Update tomorrow morning is the plan

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

quote:

Loney Captivity Timidity
Sorry for not being part of the dump-my-negative-trait/memory bandwagon. :smithcloud:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Nyaa posted:

Sorry for not being part of the dump-my-negative-trait/memory bandwagon. :smithcloud:

Nah, it's cool! You watch, your concept'll be the coolest aspect of the thingamajig.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Most likely stating the obvious, but if you give away bad qualities your going to get a bad artefact, but improve your charecter and vice versa. Seems like a lot of this tower is based on making the choice between acting for the good of a group vs claiming a benefit for yourself. At least in the later levels and the ones we didn't break.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

We all gave the opposite of what we really value, but I hope she runs with it and makes one of these:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Arkanomen posted:

Most likely stating the obvious, but if you give away bad qualities your going to get a bad artefact, but improve your charecter and vice versa. Seems like a lot of this tower is based on making the choice between acting for the good of a group vs claiming a benefit for yourself. At least in the later levels and the ones we didn't break.

We'll find out, won't we? Part of the fun for me, personally, is 'trying unexpected poo poo and seeing how dog kisser responds.' Sometimes that leads to 'everyone gets blessed and cursed at the same time;' sometimes that leads to 'you broke a level of the tower, good job!'

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Wave 2 sticks together forever. Bro-team for life.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I had no idea what the MYSTERY was for so I just put in gibberish for Bud, and seeing these awesome posts about meaningful sacrifices is making me nervous.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I also put random stuff in, but then I sort of used it as the jumping point for my bit here so :shrug:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Abyssal Squid posted:

I had no idea what the MYSTERY was for so I just put in gibberish for Bud, and seeing these awesome posts about meaningful sacrifices is making me nervous.

don't worry too much - they were intended to be guidelines but im more impressed with all the stuff people have come up with

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

HBar posted:

We all gave the opposite of what we really value, but I hope she runs with it and makes one of these:

Koko, unsatisfied with simply murdering her teammate, now seeks to destroy it's very soul using foul 1980's magics. I curse you koko, but only when you least expect it!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

(Noon is sorta morning, right!?)

-[Wave Four]-
“Fresh off failing to raise the giant skeleton, the wizard Cookie decides to vent his frustration by detonating the remaining stone pillars. When all’s said and done and the smoke clears, a panting Cookie stands in a muddy field with only two pillars remaining - those holding up the gate. Everything else is rubble. The first floor is pretty definitively smashed up.”

“Mark takes in the destruction and lurches towards the gate - he has rightly seen there’s nothing more to do here. Moving quickly, Amo and Twinkledorf leap onto the skeleton for a bit of grave robbing before they are pulled to the next floor, taking a hunk of jawbone and a joint of finger, respectively. Due to the skeleton’s size, it’s more like a greatclub and a... smaller club, but at least it’s something! In the fading seconds before Mark reaches the gate, Longwei has just enough time to smell one of the surviving flowers in the field.”

-~~~-

Stone and bones. Many bones - but much fewer than there were. And still no water. They stood surrounded by corpses in various states of decomposition, surrounded on all sides by tall stone walls. Craning their necks upwards, they could see the line of the wall extending a good thirty metres or more straight up. They could all see the starry sky above, the full moon hanging directly over the mouth of the well, and felt a strong urge to ascend. A tiny pile of what was probably mud lay in one corner. A large-ish hole near the base of the well peered out into the void. Jammed into many crevices of the stonework of the well were bits of bone, metal and wood, the relics of past climbers. At this point, the Well was more of a grisly ladder than any real challenge.

-[Wave Three]-
“Still in the Falling Room, Tikkiti seems pretty drat proud of himself for pulling that button out of the wall. He’s attached it to himself like some sort of medal - goofy rodent! Chauncey, for his part, is ignoring Adam and taking a moment to have a little snack he must have smuggled in with him. It looks worse for the wear, but I guess in those situations food is food. (Chauncey heals 5 HP) Tikkiti unstoppers his Smokey Potion and toasts Chauncey with it. How cozy!”

“Meanwhile, Bud has clearly regained consciousness, because even as he plummets to earth, he has time to quickly tear his pants off and use them as a makeshift parachute. And you know what? It seems to have worked - he’s burnt off some speed, but not enough. If Giovanni doesn’t act soon - woah, something’s up. Failed Talent activation (4 Rounds till Talent Recharges), then he just touched the portal, which apparently worked to pull them all through!”

-~~~-
Giovanni touches the portal and momentarily feels as though he’s sinking through a draining basin. When his senses clear, he finds himself in a dank and dingy room with dirt floors, wet stone walls and a low roof. Looking around, he finds the rest of his Wave, safe and sound. Bud is still holding his pants above his head and screaming. To their left and right extend corridors, with torches in regular intervals along the wall every few metres. Curiously, a rough hole is smashed through the roof directly above the group, through which is void sky is visible. A resonating voice speaks to them/appears in their skulls directly, crushing out all other thought.

"THIS CONSTRUCT IS A MEASURE OF YOUR SPEED AND CAPACITY FOR SACRIFICE. THE FIRST TO COMPLETE IT SHALL RECEIVE A BOON. THE LAST WILL RECEIVE MY DISDAINFUL CURSE. IF YOU WOULD, YOU MAY EXCHANGE PLACES WITH ANY OTHER. A COST IN BLOOD WILL BE EXTRACTED.”

Here’s a refresher posted:

(Okay First Wave, here's how we're doing this. You're in a maze. The first one to the end gets a prize - the last one out (or furthest from the exit, at least) gets a nasty curse. You can use Abilities, Skills or Talents as desired, but mainly you have to tell me where you want to go. Give it to me in this format:
LLRL
to take left, left, right, left turns - unless otherwise indicated, you'll run until you hit an intersection. If you get to a dead end, you'll automatically run back to the last intersection and take the other direction - but it'll cost you one of your move actions (from the end of the list). You can submit up to 5 moves and take an action, or take no action and submit 10 moves. Good luck!

And the other rules too posted:

(Okay, so here’s the deal - you can run back to start from your location for one move action, run to another’s current location for two actions, or swap places with another for one action - though you also take 1d6 damage. You can even swap places twice, if you want.)

-[Wave Two]-
The Giantess considers the concepts granted to her by the First Wave for the merest moment, then reaches into the pools beside her systematically, drawing out inscrutable ingredients. Looking at each in turn, her voices belowed out their choice.

---
“LONELINESS.”

A child - an orphan, picked through the garbage of the refuse heap he travelled to each day. More than the gnawing hunger he had grown used to, his back bowed under the weight of his crushing loneliness and the futility of his life. Turning over the fragment of mirror he had found, he was blinded by flicker of the sun before catching his reflection. He sat there and gazed at himself for a moment. Really, who needed anyone else? He had himself, and he could always depend on himself. He drew himself up to full height, no longer slouching. He’d make his own way in this world.

---
“CAPTIVITY.”

A circus bear, long beaten down by her captors, lies forlorn in wait for the next show. Manacled around the neck and wrists, she has no hope for escape, and has long since stopped trying. A glimmer of light in her water bowl reminds her of lapping at the stream with her siblings and her mother - before these same men killed them and captured her. Filled with a cold rage she could not remember feeling for ages, she paced around her cage until one of her captors came for her.

Witnesses could never quite explain how the bear slipped out of its bindings and pushed effortlessly through the bars of her cage. Nor could they understand how the ropes and guy wires the others had tried to bind her with had broken so easily. For the bear, none of that mattered. All she knew is that she’d never be a slave again. Never.

---
“AN UNDEFEATABLE FOE.”

An ant, a drone among countless legions, gazed up at the incomprehensibly large being that had come to their hill. A beam of light swept through the ranks, incinerating soldiers like they were nothing. This was no battle - this was a force of nature reaping through everyone he’d ever known. As the ray angled towards him, a flicker of light inspired him to charge the giant, seeking a gap in its armor. Finding the tiniest chink, he bit as hard as he was able, feeling the subsonic rumble of its roar of pain as it fell to earth. As his sisters in battle swarmed over the writhing giant, he chittered victoriously.

“HIS TIMIDITY.”

A tiny Gheek, torn from his family and hazed unmercifully, lay in the grass weeping, smarting from the vicious paddling he’d received. “Bro up!” they’d told him, as they laughed and whooped and drank. He gazed up at the clouds covering the sun, drizzling him with a misty rain. His tears and the rain mixed, and suddenly he couldn’t tell whether they were his tears or the sky’s. The sun passed through a gap in the clouds for a moment, blinding him. When he opened his eyes again, he sat up. “Fuckit. Maybe it will work.”

He strode back into the village like a man, took a clay flagon of ale off the table, drained it in one go, then broke it over Broconius’ face.

---
The concepts gathered, the Giantess placed them on her anvil, hammer poised. Despite the distracting visions, they were compelled to look - and watch - and wonder. What was she making? (Seriously, what do you think she’s making? What do you hope she’s making? It matters. A lot.)

-[Wave One]-
The Sphinx considered Miyagi’s answer for a second and nodded uncertainly. “Well, I suppose that that wasn’t a question with a correct answer, per se, but I think we can both agree that answer wasn’t precisely a correct one. You of course must know there is something up there and it’s not merely a psychol- AUGH!” She wheeled in the direction of Bofan, who at this point had skin as rough and pitted and hard as basalt. She brushed the acid flask off her hide and glared at him, talking over his stream of drunken invective. “THE COVENANT BETWEEN QUESTIONER AND ANSWEREE HAS BEEN BROKEN! THERE CAN BE ONLY BLOOD BETWEEN US.”

She shrieked an earsplitting wail as her armor fastened itself down over her body, covering her face with a featureless mask. Miyagi screamed as the glass spear in his leg shattered, leaving a jagged hole in his leg. (Miyagi takes 5+2 damage, and ongoing 2+2 damage each turn until you roll a 4 on a 1d4) As the Sphinx charged at Bofan, Sevin took a lunging stab at the flank, scoring along her armor and sinking into her flesh momentarily before she rushed by. Valthax had a blink of time to try to exert his Talent (and fail (Four Rounds till Talent Recharges)) before she collided with Bofan like a missile, taking him off his feet and dragging him along the sandstone floor. And yet, he was completely unharmed.

---
“Woah, looks like poo poo’s going down with the Sphinx - Miyagi just answered the question and Bronan just blinsided her with a vial of acid! Action’s getting too intense for our Lipreaders to accurately determine what’s being said, but I think the action will speak for itself!”

Kyyp
Jan 14, 2007

Tikkiti. Health: 43. Armor: 14. Accuracy +1.
Inventory: Shaman Bow. Shaman Arrow (x2).

Maze? Easy! Rats best at mazes. Tikkiti is best at mazes! We get to the next floor in no time!

Tikkiti runs off as fast as a rat/man can run, using his obvious natural skill to (randomly) choose what direction to turn.
Escaping: 1d20+5+2+2 = 11
Goddamnit

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

It's morning for me still! :v:

As the wave is about to be moved to the next floor Amo strokes the teeth of the newly crafted club he has made affectionately, imagining how much easier it would make it to gnaw through the flesh of a being after it had been tenderized by a jaw much mightier than his own.

Newly arrived in the well he settles down into his chest form an arm hanging out and fully opens his lid placing the tip of the club into his mouth and sliding it smoothly into his extra-dimensional guts to be stored until needed. Turning to Mark his lid opens slightly his teeth showing through the cracks in a facsimile of a grin hey raises a hand and signs at Mark "I've decided to call it Gristlegrinder"

He glances upwards raising himself to his full height observing all the grips and holds in the walls of the well a feeling of longing shooting through his limbs, this is what he'd dreamt of for so many years, it was why they'd taken him out of the dungeon circuit. You eat one hapless adventurer with a penchant for dance and read all of the literature they happen to be carrying about their hobby and they just pull you off of the work floor! Did it really matter if the dungeoneers saw him dancing around before he killed them instead of just sitting there like a fancy treasure chest? It wasn't like they'd ever live to tell the tale! He had a perfectly spotless kill record!

Amo rolls his neck side to side stretching briefly, eerie creaks coming from his joints as he limbers up his lid taking on a lustrous oiled appearance and his brass fittings gleaming as though freshly polished as pride begins to swell in his literal and figurative chest.

It was time, time to put all the book learning to work, decades of thought into the theory of dance were going to culminate in this moment. Amo lifts his foot into the air slowly extending it behind him as he lifts his arm above his head into the arabesque position.

Book after book of knowledge flits through his head and the steps of the dance he has in mind solidify as Amo falls forward his back leg whipping ahead in an arc as he springs at the wall and puts into practice the technique he'd studied in an Arvanian Mountaineer's dance manual, already his mind is clumsily reaching for words titling his first "masterpiece" Boy stuck in a well eschews the patriarchy and frees himself, the subtle beautiful nuances of the cliff dancing Arvanian people inspires a great strength in his arms and guiding his hands dextrously towards handholds as he attempts to gracefully ascend the well
20 12+5+3 (would be 25 if Bud's handholds are still active.) So this is a thing :v:

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 29, 2014

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Name - Mr. Pat Miyagi
Health - 21
Armor - 16
Accuracy - +1
Glass shards gently caress you: 1d4 3
"MotherFUCK that hurts! Daniel-San save meeee!"

Miyagi is trying to lay low from the mean cat-lady that only brings him pain. Hopefully He and Daniel-San can try and pull the glass shards out from his leg away from the sight of Queen 'Tude.
Steathy!: 1d20+5 18

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Sharpener Joe
Although Joe is hoping for a weapon that can take down that giant, he wasn't so sure after his companions dumped a bunch of negative trait into the smith pot. Looking at his freshly cursed party, he doubt they can survive much longer with their cursed health. If only there is something great to even that out, something like a cure or... Another powerful companion golem ROBOT to join heir rank.

It makes sense, a powerfully undefeatble servant under the captivity of this party, but it is to timid and lonely to say no or leave his role of servitude.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 28, 2014

• Locked thread