Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The automated refinery is so gross. Low on gas? Why bother expanding when you can just send an SCV to bogart the geysers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
The stuff said about Consume in Brood War was wrong. It's an instant kill, and always recovers 50 energy regardless of the unit's HP.

Upgrades
Nyx-Class Cloaking Module
Orbital Command

Zerg Research
Cellular Reactor

Protoss Research
Automated Refinery

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007
Upgrades
Orbital Command
Advanced Construction

Tech
Automated Refinery
Cellular Reactor

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Alpha3KV posted:

The stuff said about Consume in Brood War was wrong. It's an instant kill, and always recovers 50 energy regardless of the unit's HP.

Upgrades
Orbital Command

Zerg Research
Cellular Reactor

Protoss Research
Automated Refinery

These votes.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Upgrades

Research
Zerg Regenerative Bio-Steel
Protoss Automated Refinery

I vote for these as well. The Biorector is good and all, but honestly, you don't use THAT much energy on anything but Ghosts/Specters and in those cases they are usually pop and run. If your medics are running out of energy then uh... you should probably have more medics, or use a few Healbuses. And the Healbus brings me to my next point against the Bioreactor... It doesn't work on mechanical units, and there are only 2 Bio units with energy counts in the Terran Campaign. Medics and the Ghost/specter. Meanwhile the biosteel allows for a slight increase in the usage of all vehicles. Anything that survives the fight will have a few more HP by the time the next one runs around. Not much, but enough to survive two shots instead of one, meaning that it put that much more damage on target.
Besides, if you get Nyx cloaks, ghost/specters energy consumption basically flat-lines.

The difference between auto refineries and double SCV construction boils down to a fairly simple thing... Do you want a faster early game, or do you want to not have to bother building SCVs to run your refineries. I prefer the latter. It means that those Small Cramped Vehicles are mining more minerals, or repairing your units/buildings rather than stuck on gas duty, while you still gain that gas. Honestly, the campaign generally starts you out with plenty of SCVs for the early game, and doubling up on production doesn't speed things up that much. I find that the refinery snipe option is always good for a laugh too.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

TimNeilson posted:

Voting Nyx-Class Cloaking Module, Orbital Command, Cellular Reactor, and Automated Refinery.

Voting for this too.

GKirby
Jun 19, 2008

I DID IT ALL FOR THE GAMBIT
Upgrade
Lets improve our base's efficiency with Advanced Construction and Orbital Command.

Zerg:
Let's make things interesting with Cellular Reactor.

Protoss:
Let's pump out the SCVs with Command Center Reactor.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Upgrades
Orbital Command

Zerg Research
Regenerative Bio-Steel

Protoss Research
Automated Refinery

Basically this.

It's weird how you post once in a long silent thread and then a few days later BAM update! :v:

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Zebrin posted:

The Biorector is good and all, but honestly, you don't use THAT much energy on anything but Ghosts/Specters and in those cases they are usually pop and run. If your medics are running out of energy then uh... you should probably have more medics, or use a few Healbuses. And the Healbus brings me to my next point against the Bioreactor... It doesn't work on mechanical units, and there are only 2 Bio units with energy counts in the Terran Campaign. Medics and the Ghost/specter.

Actually the Cellular Reactor affects all units that use energy, not just bio units, which is quite helpful for a few later tech units coming up. As for my votes:

Upgrades:
Orbital Command

Research:
Cellular Reactor
Automated Refinery

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
The Starcraft II LP is back? :getin:

Upgrades:
Psionic Lash

Research:
Cellular Reactor
Automated Refinery

I'll go with these. It will be interesting to see what a group of Spectres can do in the hands of someone with micro skills. I'm pretty terrible at using them myself.

ArkhamPraetor
Sep 11, 2011
Glad to see this back.
Upgrades:
Orbital CC

Research:
Cellular Reactor
Automated Refinery

Biosteel is just too slow to justify taking when you can just send an SCV over or drop a mule for better results, and the reactor is helpful with a couple units we don't have yet and will let us do something sort of gross. Also automated refineries let us proxy gas which is super gross.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Ilyich posted:

The Starcraft II LP is back? :getin:

Upgrades:
Psionic Lash

Research:
Cellular Reactor
Automated Refinery

I'll go with these. It will be interesting to see what a group of Spectres can do in the hands of someone with micro skills. I'm pretty terrible at using them myself.

Good point, we can always pick up the best detector in the game later if we want to roll more mech and seeing someone with skill abuse energy abilities sounds fun. I'm changing my answer to cellular reactor

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
You waited for someone to call it abandoned to post an update, didn't you? :v:

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
Voting Closed!

Upgrade:

Nyx-Class Cloaking - 13
Orbital Command - 11
Psionic Lash - 5
Advanced Construction - 3
Advanced Medic Facilities - 2
Maelstrom Rounds - 1

Research:

Cellular Reactors - 13
Regenerative Biosteel - 6

Automated Refinery - 18
SCV Reactor - 1

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

I don't understand why anyone would take the SCV reactor over the auto-refineries. The refineries instantly free up at least 3 SCVs, 6 if you play a gas heavy army and need that 2nd gas.

GKirby
Jun 19, 2008

gatesealer posted:

I don't understand why anyone would take the SCV reactor over the auto-refineries. The refineries instantly free up at least 3 SCVs, 6 if you play a gas heavy army and need that 2nd gas.

I voted for the SCV reactor. I'm mainly trying to pick options that would require him to perform more APMs rather than less. I figure that would make more interesting videos to watch.

That and I'm picking things I didn't pick on my playthrough. V:downs:V

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Maybe I'm just in the multiplayer mindset, but wouldn't the SCV reactor help get your economy up faster than the auto refineries?

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

GKirby posted:

I voted for the SCV reactor. I'm mainly trying to pick options that would require him to perform more APMs rather than less. I figure that would make more interesting videos to watch.

That and I'm picking things I didn't pick on my playthrough. V:downs:V

Sure, I personally just don't understand why someone plaything through the game wouldn't pick auto refinery.

Nalesh posted:

Maybe I'm just in the multiplayer mindset, but wouldn't the SCV reactor help get your economy up faster than the auto refineries?

eh, from what I remember about multiplayer I don't think you would benefit much from it ever in there, by the time your economy is high enough that you don't have to worry about saving 100 minerals for supply depots or spending those minerals on units other than SCVs so that you can survive, the extra SCVs would be pointless. Especially if you do as you are supposed to and use the Mule every chance you get.

gatesealer fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 26, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If you're going super mech-heavy auto refineries also allow you to just plop a refinery down on an out-of-the-way geyser that you have no intention of actually putting a base on yet, and start reaping the benefits of increased gas income.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Every supply you free up is more military at 200/200. A single auto refinery is three more attack moving marines. :downs:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

GKirby posted:

That's not really how APM works. It just means six more SCVs get made per base.

GKirby
Jun 19, 2008

Star Man posted:

That's not really how APM works. It just means six more SCVs get made per base.

See my second point.

fake edit: The idea is that he has to micro more SCVs rather than setting a refinery and forgetting it. Also it makes the very beginning more interesting as he has twice as many SCVs coming out.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Unless you're transferring them you aren't really microing your SCVs, ever. They're very 'set and forget'

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

gatesealer posted:

eh, from what I remember about multiplayer I don't think you would benefit much from it ever in there, by the time your economy is high enough that you don't have to worry about saving 100 minerals for supply depots or spending those minerals on units other than SCVs so that you can survive, the extra SCVs would be pointless. Especially if you do as you are supposed to and use the Mule every chance you get.

Since the SCV reactor affects your command centers from the very beginning of a map, this would enormously impact a multiplayer game, as it would allow Terran players to create workers in twice the capacity, slingshotting their economy forward. It would allow Terrans to consistently match Zerg droning, without Terran needing to cut early army production or teching. Put another way, it would be like chronoboosting probes, only twice as good and without the need to actually use an ability to do it. :v:

The real comparison between SCV reactor and autorefineries is that a SCV reactor will functionally compress the early stages of a map by allowing Raldan to get his economy running faster, while autorefineries free up a small portion of supply for units (each gas requires 3 SCVs for optimum income, and there are 2 geysers/base, so functionally 6 SCVs/base) and/or allow raldan to just drop a cheap 75 mineral building on a gas geyser at a base he may have no intention of establishing. Or lifting his bases when his minerals run out, I guess. I can't remember how often that happens in later missions, though, so that might just be a null point!

Poil posted:

Every supply you free up is more military at 200/200. A single auto refinery is three more attack moving marines. :downs:

Or a tank. :black101:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tanks are neat, I forgot they were 3 supply.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'm not big on RTSes anymore but is this worth picking up while it's $10 on the black friday sale? So far it seems pretty generic single player even by RTS standards.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm not big on RTSes anymore but is this worth picking up while it's $10 on the black friday sale? So far it seems pretty generic single player even by RTS standards.

For 10$, I'd recommend getting it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Soylent Pudding posted:

I found it pretty enjoyable. The main game is a pretty standard single player rts, and the expansion is a solid campaign that plays around with the game a little more to give it a more unique feel.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
The campaign is most certainly worth $10.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

FoolyCharged posted:

I found it pretty enjoyable. The main game is a pretty standard single player rts, and the expansion is a solid campaign that plays around with the game a little more to give it a more unique feel.

The expansion's basically 'Starcraft Does Dawn of War II', isn't it? One of the major systems for it reminded me a lot of DoWII

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The expansion's basically 'Starcraft Does Dawn of War II', isn't it? One of the major systems for it reminded me a lot of DoWII

Speaking of which, there's a pretty good map that remakes DoW2's last stand gamemode.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I wouldn't go that far, but it does prominently feature a powerful hero that you can customize so they're comparable at the least.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Who cares about the hero, and the terrible terrible story and characters, when you can do awesome things with jumping zerglings and jumping banelings?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

As for more APM with SCV reactor. He would just right click on a mineral pile at the start of the game, and mash S more with SCV reactor.

Auto-refineries just make Gas less of an issue.

As for Heart of the Swarm.
Jumping. Banelings.
This alone makes the game worth $10. Ditto zerglings. I think I ended up using lings right through the campaign just because they are adorable as heck.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Speaking of banelings, I'm still sad there isn't an upgrade for overlords where they can shoot out any banelings they've picked up :v:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Nalesh posted:

Speaking of banelings, I'm still sad there isn't an upgrade for overlords where they can shoot out any banelings they've picked up :v:

You've never heard of a baneling drop?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Star Man posted:

You've never heard of a baneling drop?

I mean like, a ranged attack that used banelings, like a spud gun :v:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Nalesh posted:

I mean like, a ranged attack that used banelings, like a spud gun :v:

I'm now imagining an overlord upgrade where they grow arms and toss banelings underhand at enemies as an attack.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm now imagining an overlord upgrade where they grow arms and toss banelings underhand at enemies as an attack.

What the Zerg need is a manapult! (And armoured war bears)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

(And armoured war bears)
So...Ultralisks, basically?

• Locked thread