Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I find Thi4f really relaxing to watch but an absolute chore to play. Something about the dainty fingers plucking everything shiny out of drawers and cupboards and safes just relaxes me. When I played the game I got stuck after halfway-cleaning out a map because I explored too hard and found the next stop on the linear path and ragequit forever out of frustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I suppose you don't know, then, but if you actually fulfill an optional condition the game awards you with a cash bonus. Where does this money come from? Who's paying it? It's never even addressed, let alone explained. Sorry to once again ruin ~YOUR IMMERSION~. ;)

You mean the per-mission optional objectives like 'pick 10 pockets', 'get 5 headshots', etc? I didn't pay much attention to those either because I was just doing what made the most sense to me at any given moment, but now that you mention it I do remember getting magic money for some of them. It was weird.

I had forgotten those for the moment; I was talking about the over-arching ones like ironman mode, take no damage, remain undetected, etc. The ones you can choose to take at the start of the game (I think it's only at the start). You don't get money for those too, do you? I'd assumed it was just achievements. Because who doesn't love achievements, right?! :haw:

supermikhail posted:

I don't understand the difficulty objection. The no-kill requirement does make the game harder, which is what the game promised. And I don't quite see how else you would enforce it except for auto-failing. Unless you switch to the stars (or other) grading system instead of difficulties. :shrug: (Speaking of the original and the Mod, of course.) Additionally, (and per Bobbin's comment) there weren't any ways for the first 2 games to reward the player for non-lethal runs. No achievements, for example.

It's not a major objection; I love the early Thief games! It's an immersion thing. I joke about it, but it is something I value fairly highly. I like things to make sense and feel as believable as is reasonably possible, you know?

As for 'enforcing' something like a no kills limitation; Dishonoured took an interesting approach in that it didn't stop you from killing... pretty much anyone you wanted, from memory, but it did have consequences for killing a lot of people. The main one I remember is that it made the final mission more difficult.

As another example, some(?) of the Hitman games simply docked your pay relative to how much collateral damage you did on a mission. (To pay for 'cleaners', bribes, etc.) Less money meant less gear and more difficulty, all in a fairly organic way. It's been a while, but I think your notoriety also increased if you'd killed a lot of people; authorities looking out for someone of your description, that sort of thing.

So I think there's room for enforcing/encouraging 'no kills' and whatnot without it being a binary, instant-game-over sort of thing. :)

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I'm all for the guilt approach. Humanize the individual opponents as much as possible and it makes it harder to kill them.

But that takes good writing and a lot of work.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Oh, yes, I was justifying the early games, not necessarily that approach as the best and sacrosanct (in case it appeared this way :cheeky:). I would also like to suggest that an emphasis on morality would have been out of place in a game about stealing for the sake of stealing. I mean, I can imagine that killing people could increase the number of guardsmen on the following missions... but so should clearing a place of all its valuables. Speaking of immersion. Anyway, I really can't come up with a good way to punish killing or reward pacifism in a Thief game (before it gets into achievements, upgrades, and other meta stuff, at least).

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Yeah, I don't really know either. Maybe something like word getting around the 'community' about your messy kill count and your fences giving you less money for your loot as a result because they're afraid of the heat. That might work nicely in combination with a system where you physically go around and fence stuff in between missions, as in Thief 3.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The problem is that game designers can't resist tweaking the reward/punishment scale for killing. Thief would do better to make the killing seem real and leave it up to the player how much Garret cares.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I don't think this discussion is very relevant to Thief with modern gamedev technology. An achievement, and a badge, perhaps saying "Professional", on the post-mission screen, is enough incentive for those players who are interested. Or the old system could be just fine. I thought the consensus was that no-killing in Thief was a sign of professionalism, not morality and recognition of consequences.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

supermikhail posted:

I don't think this discussion is very relevant to Thief with modern gamedev technology. An achievement, and a badge, perhaps saying "Professional", on the post-mission screen, is enough incentive for those players who are interested. Or the old system could be just fine. I thought the consensus was that no-killing in Thief was a sign of professionalism, not morality and recognition of consequences.

It was, but they also did a pretty good job of humanizing the Guards as just average Joe working stiffs. It always felt kind of petty to kill the poor bastards after listening in on their conversations about their jobs, their families, etc.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

supermikhail posted:

I don't understand the difficulty objection. The no-kill requirement does make the game harder, which is what the game promised. And I don't quite see how else you would enforce it except for auto-failing. Unless you switch to the stars (or other) grading system instead of difficulties. :shrug: (Speaking of the original and the Mod, of course.) Additionally, (and per Bobbin's comment) there weren't any ways for the first 2 games to reward the player for non-lethal runs. No achievements, for example.

The main problem with those objectives is that they are an artificial way to circumvent a flaw in the game mechanics. Since the first game, blackjack is just to good in dispatching the enemies, to the point when you can clear the entire level and run unmolested by anyone. Take "La Banque Bienveillante", for example - this mission has a feature where you have to physically carry your loot to a specific place, but it becomes completely trivial after you discover you can just knock everyone out and rush through the entire level back and forth.

It wasn't so obvious in TDP, because there were plenty of undead and other monsters that were immune to blackjack and required another tactics. Consecutive games made the problem more glaring, because there were comparatively more human enemies. At least the Watchers and Children of Karras required water/fire arrows to be disabled permanently, but they disappeared in the Deadly Shadows.

As for the Dark Mod, they tried to deal with the problem by making blackjacking more difficult. It was nightmarish in the earlier versions, because the enemy would frequently hear you and look back just when you were about to hit him, which freaked him out instead of putting him out of the fight. The devs made it a bit easier in the latest version, but it's still much harder than in the original Thief, mostly because the guards will immediately become aware of you if you touch them. Also, the heavy armored enemies will make a huge ruckus when falling. Of course, the undead are fully immune to knockouts (which makes them popular in fan missions) and there is a guard with a special helmet who's only susceptible to gas arrows (I don't remember if such guards didn't appear in Deadly Shadows first). There are plenty of ways to nerf the blackjack right now, but they are somewhat underused and may not always fit the mood of the mission.

supermikhail posted:

That's how Garrett explained it, but I always suspected he was just less jaded than he appeared. He was a guy who always tried to invent an elaborate excuse to every deed that could appear selfless. And there were occasions where his wall of cynicism pretty much cracked, especially after the events of the first game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gantolandon posted:

That's how Garrett explained it, but I always suspected he was just less jaded than he appeared. He was a guy who always tried to invent an elaborate excuse to every deed that could appear selfless. And there were occasions where his wall of cynicism pretty much cracked, especially after the events of the first game.

And at the very end of the last, now that I've finally finished Bobbin's original LP of Thief III. I never would've expected such a satisfying character arc for the cynical antihero.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Corbeau posted:

I'll be honest: I'm just following this thread for the Dark Mod videos.

Xander77 posted:

Absolutely serious - I have no idea how people are finding this interesting. It's just a bunch of waiting. The hard mode limitations in particular might challenge the player but make the video that much duller because there's really only one way to do things.

The wonderful thing about a double feature is that there's something for everyone!

Gantolandon posted:

there is a guard with a special helmet who's only susceptible to gas arrows (I don't remember if such guards didn't appear in Deadly Shadows first).

Mr. Clangey Head had only appeared in The Metal Age before The Dark Mod came about.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

And at the very end of the last, now that I've finally finished Bobbin's original LP of Thief III. I never would've expected such a satisfying character arc for the cynical antihero.
There's the whole thing about Garrett being rather different from what he thinks he is. I mean, he's a master thief who can break into just about anything, but apparently sells all his loot for peanuts because he still lives in a tiny-rear end apartment, pays rent and has financial problems. He carries around a sword which he can't use for poo poo, he prisonbreaks and helps folks in need (but that's totally just for all that money lying around the mansion Basso's fiancé works in, cross my black frozen cynical grimdark heart) and I like to think he's resorting to his brooding pose as a defence from being scared shitless half the time. Can't blame him either, given the things he's faced. Or rather avoided.
It's never stated outright, but my impression of Garrett was always that he's a wannabe. Great thief, but no common sense or social experience. And that makes him that much more likable.

Now, Thi4f presents something resembling Garrett the way he is in his mind - and it's a disaster. Well, one of many.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 28, 2014

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I only ever played the original Thief via the demo, which I played tons of. I'm really enjoying watching this LP and working my way through Bobbin's Dark Project play through. I never knew there were so many zombies!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

There's the whole thing about Garrett being rather different from what he thinks he is. I mean, he's a master thief who can break into just about anything, but apparently sells all his loot for peanuts because he still lives in a tiny-rear end apartment, pays rent and has financial problems. He carries around a sword which he can't use for poo poo, he prisonbreaks and helps folks in need (but that's totally just for all that money lying around the mansion Basso's fiancé works in, cross my black frozen cynical grimdark heart) and I like to think he's resorting to his brooding pose as a defence from being scared shitless half the time. Can't blame him either, given the things he's faced. Or rather avoided.
It's never stated outright, but my impression of Garrett was always that he's a wannabe. Great thief, but no common sense or social experience. And that makes him that much more likable.

Now, Thi4f presents something resembling Garrett the way he is in his mind - and it's a disaster. Well, one of many.

I'll say that my favorite parts (story wise) of the first three are the bits when his facade cracks, if not outright breaking, particularly his interactions with Victoria (I think that was her name?) in 2, and the fact that the Shalebridge Cradle seems to creep even him out in the briefing in 3.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

George posted:

I'm all for the guilt approach. Humanize the individual opponents as much as possible and it makes it harder to kill them.

But that takes good writing and a lot of work.

I remember a moment of this from Perfect Dark. When you'd disarm an opponent, they'd beg you not to hurt them or they'd tell you about their families (or that they just work here, and don't have anything to do with the higher ups). It definitely made me feel bad enough to not want to hurt them after that.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Brainbread posted:

I remember a moment of this from Perfect Dark. When you'd disarm an opponent, they'd beg you not to hurt them or they'd tell you about their families (or that they just work here, and don't have anything to do with the higher ups). It definitely made me feel bad enough to not want to hurt them after that.
That's what I liked in the original Splinter Cell trilogy and why I always went for mostly non-lethal runs: the vast majority of the enemies in those games were just doing their job.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Tehan posted:

I find Thi4f really relaxing to watch but an absolute chore to play. Something about the dainty fingers plucking everything shiny out of drawers and cupboards and safes just relaxes me. When I played the game I got stuck after halfway-cleaning out a map because I explored too hard and found the next stop on the linear path and ragequit forever out of frustration.
Yeah actually same here, I really like how it LOOKS but as to how it plays and...stuff, yeah I can see why this game is not great. But I'm enjoying watching it certainly.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
I love this most recent mission for The Dark Mod. I just wish the guards wer a little more intelligent.

As for the difficult levels requiring you not to kill, I support it. I rather like this current mission's restriction on how many people you can knock out too. It forces you to sneak in and sneak out. The only evidence you were there are the missing items. True professionalism.

Bobbin, I would like to see you play through a Dark Mod level blind. It's nice seeing these levels but it loses something when you sit there waiting for someone you know is about to walk around a corner.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
I like the variation on the requirements, especially when it's tailored to the type of mission at hand.

For this particular mission, I think if you could just KO everyone like other missions there wouldn't be much to it. The alarm would be utterly pointless if no guards were conscious, and there isn't that much to the manor besides 'grab the Captain's obviously placed shiny toy + all the other loot'. So its fair to limit knocking out guards at the hardest difficulty here.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Without the no knockout rule anyone skilled at stealth games starts playing a meta-game called "Can I incapacitate everyone on this map?". I just finished Lady Boyle's Party in Dishonored and have a save right outside of the manor backed up. I plan on reloading it to see if I can play my other favorite stealth meta-game "Whisper gentle nothings as I strangle someone for my own amusement" with the entire party.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Lady Boyle's Party is my favorite map in the game. There are so many ways to be a dick in it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Zushio posted:

Without the no knockout rule anyone skilled at stealth games starts playing a meta-game called "Can I incapacitate everyone on this map?". I just finished Lady Boyle's Party in Dishonored and have a save right outside of the manor backed up. I plan on reloading it to see if I can play my other favorite stealth meta-game "Whisper gentle nothings as I strangle someone for my own amusement" with the entire party.

I once managed KO the entire Detroit PD in Deus Ex HR without a single alert. Lots of savescumming, and one room needed a concussion grenade and an energy bar, but I did it.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I think it's best when they give you a limited number of knockouts, for you to use at your discretion. That way, you haven't removed all challenge, but you can still deal with smaller localized problems. Using your knockouts to thin down two of the patrolling guards, in this mission, may have made getting that scepter much less painful.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Dabir posted:

I once managed KO the entire Detroit PD in Deus Ex HR without a single alert. Lots of savescumming, and one room needed a concussion grenade and an energy bar, but I did it.
You mean the main office area on the first floor with all the computers? I never quite managed that. (but then again, I never had the patience to build box forts)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'd rather see the game give you more tools to split up / distract / lure guards away than let you knock out just a limited number of them.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

HenryEx posted:

I'd rather see the game give you more tools to split up / distract / lure guards away than let you knock out just a limited number of them.

It has quite a lot. You can use a noisemaker, which ensures that every guard that could hear you will go into the place where you shot the arrow instead. You can also use a normal broadhead or a small item to make a noise. The problem is that everything that could lure away the guard also alerts him. Normally, it's too much hassle having to deal with a partially alerted guard whom you can just knock out without anyone noticing.

JesusGeorge
Apr 29, 2005
TheKeeper bought me this account so now I have to rub peanut butter on his nipples on a daily basis.

Iunnrais posted:

I think it's best when they give you a limited number of knockouts, for you to use at your discretion. That way, you haven't removed all challenge, but you can still deal with smaller localized problems. Using your knockouts to thin down two of the patrolling guards, in this mission, may have made getting that scepter much less painful.

I've always wondered why they didn't try limiting knockouts by how obvious the missing guard/civvie would be. Like, if you've got a guy standing at a door, and one who walks by every half-hour, knocking out the door guard is going to be an instant red flag to the patrol guard, whereas knocking out the patrol guard might be unnoticed by the door guard for quite a while. And the guy they have to report to in two hours would probably go looking for them if they didn't show up after another hour. Not that I'm a fan of time limits, but steal a guard schedule and you've got a plan before you even start the mission.

You could have fun with that too. If the security chief is knocked out when they check in, and the guards are just rent-a-cops, they might just take that as an excuse to call it a night.

The thing that makes me step away from stealth games for months at a time is the cognitive dissonance caused by being able to do things that *should* draw attention. Putting out the candle at a table with three people sitting at said table is bad enough, but water out of nowhere, much less from the end of a wooden arrow, is reason for mild concern. Now, if wind blew out the candle and you're out of matches/fire-mana, then *maybe* you'd call it chance, pack it in, and go to bed.

Couple that with people's heads suddenly being better armoured when they see you, and making creaky wooden floors quieter than concrete (how noisy is *your* sidewalk?) and it's like having to forget reality and learn a bunch of rules to a... game... Huh... Maybe I'm an idiot...

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Xander77 posted:

You mean the main office area on the first floor with all the computers? I never quite managed that. (but then again, I never had the patience to build box forts)

I had to use a nade on the interrogation room, personally. Breaking all of the limbs in the police department without getting spotted is a fun challenge.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Well, the reason stuff like this hasn't been implemented is pretty simple: it would be really complicated to implement. What your describing would take heavy, complicated scripting that would likely break pretty often, as well as custom audio barks, etc.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Maybe someone could mod in a little air vortex cannon from the Inventor's Guild to blow out candles from 25 feet away, so he would still require a water arrow for larger torches but could knock out smaller lights without being so overt. And for non-alerting distractions, Garrett could toss a handful of coppers for guards to notice and stop to pick up, if not go full Metal Gear Solid and leave one of those copious nude paintings around for them to gawk/pretend to be indignant at.

JesusGeorge
Apr 29, 2005
TheKeeper bought me this account so now I have to rub peanut butter on his nipples on a daily basis.

insanityv2 posted:

Well, the reason stuff like this hasn't been implemented is pretty simple: it would be really complicated to implement. What your describing would take heavy, complicated scripting that would likely break pretty often, as well as custom audio barks, etc.

Not saying you're wrong, but I'm a big fan of illusion. Just tag the candle on the table as "the suspicion candle" and let slip the dogs of "I'll find you" if it ever goes out. And just tag the spot the patrol guard passes as a check for the door guard. No guard, raise the alarm on all in earshot of the calling guard. No harm if the patrol guard goes missing though, door guard's not bright enough. Checking in with the boss can't be faked though. It'd have to be a condition that prevents clubbing of guards (and allows clubbing of civvies in the wrong place at the wrong time).

I feel like modern designers forget that you don't have to literally create artificial intelligence. If you create circumstances that look like it, no one knows the difference (until they check the source code or find the glitch that placing a carrot where the door guard should be prevents the 'no-guard' trigger).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Xander77 posted:

You can clear the computer room without a nade, but there's a small room next to it with three armed cops all sitting facing each other.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Just as a heads up, if anyone wants thfourth, it's on sale as a daily deal on steam for $10 including DLC. $7.50 for the base game, which might be roughly what it's worth.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
I can vicariously experience the pain of playing Thi4f by watching Bobbin play it. Also, I'm too busy dying in The Dark Mod now.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I too am digging the hell out of the dark mod time this lp inspired in me. I just wish there was something I could do for the stability of it, get about 45 minutes out of the thing tops before I start getting graphical glitches followed shortly by a crash. Saving too often seems to accelerate the process.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

I too am digging the hell out of the dark mod time this lp inspired in me. I just wish there was something I could do for the stability of it, get about 45 minutes out of the thing tops before I start getting graphical glitches followed shortly by a crash. Saving too often seems to accelerate the process.

Have you checked you CPU and GPU temperatures? It sounds like this could be what's causing the problem.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'd say Thi4f is about $7-10 worth of game. I enjoyed it myself until the last 1/5th or so.

There's a few great levels hidden in the muck, and the game is generally okayish outside of some of the really really stupid poo poo like Basso mission areas not opening up until you TAKE the missions.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Gantolandon posted:

Have you checked you CPU and GPU temperatures? It sounds like this could be what's causing the problem.

Not too much I can do about it I think, playing on a laptop. Open to suggestions though.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

Not too much I can do about it I think, playing on a laptop. Open to suggestions though.

There are some things you could do:

• Clean up CPU fan and radiator thoroughly.
  • Replace thermal paste on the radiator.
  • Buy a cooling pad.
  • Reduce temperature in the room where you're playing. Even a few degrees can help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

JesusGeorge posted:

Not saying you're wrong, but I'm a big fan of illusion. Just tag the candle on the table as "the suspicion candle" and let slip the dogs of "I'll find you" if it ever goes out. And just tag the spot the patrol guard passes as a check for the door guard. No guard, raise the alarm on all in earshot of the calling guard. No harm if the patrol guard goes missing though, door guard's not bright enough. Checking in with the boss can't be faked though. It'd have to be a condition that prevents clubbing of guards (and allows clubbing of civvies in the wrong place at the wrong time).

I feel like modern designers forget that you don't have to literally create artificial intelligence. If you create circumstances that look like it, no one knows the difference (until they check the source code or find the glitch that placing a carrot where the door guard should be prevents the 'no-guard' trigger).

Just a comment on this. When we'd do security checks, we would check every door that was supposed to be locked at least once a night. Reason I want to bring this up is... well. The guards don't really seem to care if a door is open when it shouldn't be. If you close it, they'll never know that it was picked. Something to add to it is guards simply checking on things that, well, are supposed to be closed or locked.

Or even just locking a door that is supposed to be locked.

• Locked thread