Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TurboJ9000
Nov 4, 2012

Antistar01 posted:

Thief 1 and 2 tracked what happened to people after they were knocked out; they could drown, and could fall too far, I think. I can't remember for sure with Thief 3 and 4.

Dishonoured definitely tracks it. Here's something I said back when playing the game for the first time:

quote:

Past me posted:

At the start of the mission I'm on now, I had a bit of an accident with the very first guy I knocked out. I was stashing him somewhere out of the way, and managed to drop him just a bit too far... onto his head... which exploded. (whooooops.) I felt pretty bad - though maybe I shouldn't have, considering who it was. And right at the start of the mission! But no, I said no reloading unless I died, so I carried on, feeling sort of dumb/guilty.

I've managed exactly one no-kill run because there's always someone who has to fall off a wall or something. Or walk through a wall of light that I re-wired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

TurboJ9000 posted:

I've managed exactly one no-kill run because there's always someone who has to fall off a wall or something. Or walk through a wall of light that I re-wired.

In my case it was a guard accidentally walking into rats after having to check an area.

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 26, 2014

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
You can do a no kills, no knockouts, no alerts run on the hardest difficulty in Thi4f as well, and it's not -that- hard if you know the maps well except for YOU KNOW WHAT near the end of the game. If you want to throw in all loot and all pockets picked on top of it though, well, I hope you like quickloading.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
The one thing that I can appreciate about this game is the customizable difficulty as it allows for quite a few adjustments in regards to gameplay features and even just some features of convenience, like the waypoints that show up on your interface. Another feature that can be turned off is the focus system that Bobbin showed briefly, which is mostly just a mechanic that makes the game easier by giving you access to instant knockouts or slow motion. I suppose they allowed for that because of some of the feedback they received prior to release.

The odd thing about that is that you still get to collect Poppies even if you turn the focus system off, so they effectively just become a consumable that does absolutely nothing and can't really be used.
I'll give them credit and agree with the idea that it's sensible enough for them to not bother to adjust the game in these matters when someone chooses an optional feature like that and at least the player can still sell poppies, but it's just a little thing about this game that kept bugging me when I played it.

And Bassos side missions are bullshit. I initially enjoyed exploring the hubworld for a bit, but the side mission system they went with makes exploration a detriment as the player will inevitably run into areas that look like they should be holding something of interest only to make them backtrack much later, because some arbitrary flags weren't set yet. And that happens a lot if someone decides to explore the area thoroughly, as you can never tell in advance whether an area just contains some hidden loot or is supposed to be visited later. The hub world is the only place that you can explore without constantly running into awful points of no return (there was three of those in this video alone), but they didn't do it many favours by gating side missions like that.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Depends. It's usually fairly easy to sneak by/distract human guards. The problem is monsters.

For a while I didn't get that people hated the spiders in Thief because of arachnophobia. I thought they hated them because their detection cones are so difficult to figure out.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I don't know what made me laugh more, Garret stealing a commemorative plaque like some sort of 50s Batman villain, or him going into Nathan Drake mode and stealthily destroying part of a building.

Bobbin, do you plan on showing off any of T2X in addition to Dark Mod?

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

I just hope we find out what happened to Erin. Watching her be a piece of poo poo for 30 minutes really endeared her to me and I'm sad she fell into count dracula's timewarp and died.

Zwiebel posted:

The one thing that I can appreciate about this game is the customizable difficulty as it allows for quite a few adjustments in regards to gameplay features and even just some features of convenience, like the waypoints that show up on your interface. Another feature that can be turned off is the focus system that Bobbin showed briefly, which is mostly just a mechanic that makes the game easier by giving you access to instant knockouts or slow motion. I suppose they allowed for that because of some of the feedback they received prior to release.

Design-wise, this is like using scotch tape to fix an antique vase. I'm somewhat happier with it sort of resembling the shape it should be in than seeing it lying on pieces on the floor, but I would have preferred you hadn't broken the fuckin thing in the first place.

bhlaab fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 26, 2014

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

bhlaab posted:

I just hope we find out what happened to Erin. Watching her be a piece of poo poo for 30 minutes really endeared her to me and I'm sad she fell into count dracula's timewarp and died.

Design-wise, this is like using scotch tape to fix an antique vase. I'm somewhat happier with it sort of resembling the shape it should be in than seeing it lying on pieces on the floor, but I would have preferred you hadn't broken the fuckin thing in the first place.

That's a bit much. As long as the options are toggle-able and the game doesn't break because of their lack, then it's a good compromise. Their perspective is that they want to sell to the broadest audience possible, and some people prefer the convenience of waypoints and thiefy magic powers.

They done hosed up the game in a bunch of other ways, but the display options weren't one of them.

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad
The thing that bugs me most about the secret lair (other than that it exists) is the disconnect between hearing the constant mechanical clocktower sounds while none of the shafts or gears are active. Isn't the whole point of the place that it's broken and abandoned? Is there actually something moving somewhere that you didn't show?

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
It IS haunted after all. It just happens to be ghost clockwork gears

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Regarding the pickpocketing objective, does every single purse count towards it or is it only one per NPC? (Seeing as NPCs have multiple purses.)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Brainbread posted:

With the route they went, I'm surprised you don't just use your arm to sweep everything on a table into a burlap sack.

B4rglar.

Basically New Garret should look like this:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
This is how he'll always look to me:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Spiders freak me out mostly because I ran into a situation where I had dozens of them fast rope onto me when I was younger. Still images, movies, video games and even spiders outside doing their thing is a-ok, but a spider inside is a no go for me.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

I'm waiting for the inevitable reboot of Bl4gger

(15 minutes the first pile of crap took to load, when it deigned to load at all. Kids today, don't know you're born, get off my lawn, etc)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Antistar01 posted:

Thief 1 and 2 tracked what happened to people after they were knocked out; they could drown, and could fall too far, I think. I can't remember for sure with Thief 3 and 4.

Dishonoured definitely tracks it. Here's something I said back when playing the game for the first time:

Dishonored does track it, if not always 100% accurately:

She's fine. I'm sure she's fine.
(Clickable for the fullscreen version, where you can see the lovely blood splatters better.)

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Dishonored tracked it to a degree where most people would fail a 0 kill achievement because they knocked out a guard in some locations where minutes later rats could show up and eat the unconscious dude if he was left on the floor.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Hey, quick question here, but are there any (good) Dark Mod missions that involve breaking into a bank? I plan on tackling the DLC once I finish up Chapter 2 and I'd like something to use as a comparison. If there's nothing better, I plan on going with Lords and Legacy, but that mission's big enough to be worth a few videos on its own.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
You could just replay the bank level from Thief. It's the epitome of Thief level design, so I doubt the thread would mind seeing you do it again.

As for the Dark Mod, I am unaware of one, but I just found it the mod was finished in this thread.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Hey, quick question here, but are there any (good) Dark Mod missions that involve breaking into a bank? I plan on tackling the DLC once I finish up Chapter 2 and I'd like something to use as a comparison. If there's nothing better, I plan on going with Lords and Legacy, but that mission's big enough to be worth a few videos on its own.

I haven't played it*, but the dark mod wiki has a list of missions here: Fan Missions for The Dark Mod. That list suggests that "Rightful Property" by jysk is a bank mission. No idea if it's any good or not.

*My laptop crashes too often with the dark mod for it to be even worth attempting-- I think I don't have enough ram.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

according to this topic, there is a part of the rightful property mission that's inside a bank, but apparently not the entire mission revolves around said bank.

There is also this one: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/16702-fan-mission-la-banque-bienveillante-by-airship-ballet-20141122/

It has bank in the title so it fits the criteria; whether or not it's any good is unknown to me, but people in that thread seem very positive.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
^^^^^ Was literally just about to link La Banque Bienveillante. It is indeed purely a bank mission, and it just came out a day or so ago. It's got some very unique ideas -to the Dark Mod, anyway- so I highly recommend you check that one out. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's also short and sweet, so you're not likely to get bogged down with a long recording time, as some TDM missions might threaten to do (lookin' at you, Heart of Lone Salvation...)

Erwin the German fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 27, 2014

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

SIGSEGV posted:

You know I think dark messiah is the real thief 4. Thi4f. Thiaf. It had a rope bow and didn't restrict it's use, tons of hidden areas and garret's master thief outfit with his name on it.

Well, you couldn't knock out people, only kill them but it was also a great swashbuckling simulator and had fun spells.

Mention of a wonderful game but no mention of the Sparta Kick Boot of Doom? For shame! :colbert:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Objectives
Ralf's Bread
Symond's Letter
Ralf's Debts
Walt's Game
Attention Servants!
For Honorable Service
For Protecting the City
For Protecting the Nobility
An Unexpected Move
A Bold Move
Weight Sensor Mark IV
Walt's Concerns
Puzzle Lock Mark II
Poetry by Yrjaenae

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
:dance: Bobbin is doing another LP! And it's Thief! And this looks good! Good work!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

As a professional security guard I can tell you that walking in circles on night shift is a tried and true way to keep awake when you're tired as hell and worried that you'll fall asleep if you stand still and there's a wall right there to lean against.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I wonder if there is any way to disable the weight alarm. Those gears look really jammable...

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008
I loved this mission when I first played it. Here's the two things missed in the video.

1. For those who don't actually want to set off the alarm: You can disable it. The weight sensor book even tells you how; just find something to block the mechanism downstairs with.

2. For those who missed the extra loot: There's a secret attic you can access in Knighton's room. The bottom shelf of the bookcase next to the chest with the staff's salaries has a switch hidden behind movable books.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Oh man, The Dark Mod looks great! My favorite Thief mission has always been the very first mission of Thief 1, because it's just a well done heist mission. I always thought the series needed more of those, and the plots got in the way. It's cool to see a fan game where it's all little side tales and vignettes.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Some little nice touch that I noticed was that the ornamentation near the light gem indicates if you are ducking by scrunching down when you do.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'll be honest: I'm just following this thread for the Dark Mod videos.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I've actually always found it a little frustrating that limitations like 'don't kill anyone' or 'don't knock anyone out' are tied to the difficulty levels in the original trilogy and now in the Dark Mod. I really like having the extra objectives that the higher difficulty levels give you ('now you need to find these things too', 'now you need to get back out again', etc), but the idea that Garrett just gives up, goes home - except wait now he can't because he can't pay the rent - because he got cornered and had to kill a guard in self defence?

~MY IMMERSION~ :negative:

So I actually liked that Thief 2014 separated that sort of thing out into a series of optional limitations you could set for yourself when starting a new game; that's a really good way to do it, I think. Of course I totally ignored all of them because you've always been able to choose to limit yourself if you want, but it's good that the options are there and - more importantly - that they're not enforced. (Doesn't save the rest of the game from being mediocre to awful, though.)

Also on the topic of immersion and how I interpreted Garrett's character, I was a little disappointed when they dropped the sword in favour of a dagger for Thief 3. It didn't make a lot of sense to me on the pragmatic "I don't want to die" side of things, especially after the first two games. That swords were physics objects that noisily clattered to the ground when you knocked a guard out - but you couldn't then pick them up and use them - was like salt in the wound, for me.

Understand that I never wanted to run around with a naked sword slaughtering every living thing on the map; it just made sense to have one as a last resort.

Out of interest actually, do you have a sword in the Dark Mod? Or just a dagger, like in Thief 3? (I doubt it's neither, as in Thief 2014.)

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I agree for the most part on the adjustable difficulty however, the one huge thing I wanted to do but could not was adjust the knock out conditions independent of the AI sensitivity. I wanted to play with the most alert AI. But I also wanted the freedom to murder the crap out of civiliansprattling on about Orion and his nonsensical populist revolution. I swear that game made me more conservative. :/

Also you have a sword in Dark Mod.

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad
But only a short sword, whatever difference that makes.

My only gripe is that you didn't eat the rear end in a top hat guard's bread, just to piss him off.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Antistar01 posted:

So I actually liked that Thief 2014 separated that sort of thing out into a series of optional limitations you could set for yourself when starting a new game; that's a really good way to do it, I think. Of course I totally ignored all of them because you've always been able to choose to limit yourself if you want, but it's good that the options are there and - more importantly - that they're not enforced. (Doesn't save the rest of the game from being mediocre to awful, though.)

I suppose you don't know, then, but if you actually fulfill an optional condition the game awards you with a cash bonus. Where does this money come from? Who's paying it? It's never even addressed, let alone explained. Sorry to once again ruin ~YOUR IMMERSION~. ;)

Kiavahr posted:

But only a short sword, whatever difference that makes.

My only gripe is that you didn't eat the rear end in a top hat guard's bread, just to piss him off.

I did ensure that a goon will soon break his kneecaps, at least.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I don't understand the difficulty objection. The no-kill requirement does make the game harder, which is what the game promised. And I don't quite see how else you would enforce it except for auto-failing. Unless you switch to the stars (or other) grading system instead of difficulties. :shrug: (Speaking of the original and the Mod, of course.) Additionally, (and per Bobbin's comment) there weren't any ways for the first 2 games to reward the player for non-lethal runs. No achievements, for example.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Corbeau posted:

I'll be honest: I'm just following this thread for the Dark Mod videos.
Absolutely serious - I have no idea how people are finding this interesting. It's just a bunch of waiting. The hard mode limitations in particular might challenge the player but make the video that much duller because there's really only one way to do things.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Xander77 posted:

Absolutely serious - I have no idea how people are finding this interesting. It's just a bunch of waiting. The hard mode limitations in particular might challenge the player but make the video that much duller because there's really only one way to do things.

I'm sorry you have a short attention span and no patience. Perhaps stealth games aren't for you.

E: To sound a bit less flip, I think this is a matter of differing tastes, in all honesty. The older Thief games are about large maps that focus on exploration, atmosphere and slow, deliberate gameplay with a lot of waiting for opportunities and planning your movement from shadow to shadow, and the Dark Mod intends to hit the same kind of feel. It's totally fine not to enjoy that kind of gameplay, but the Dark Mod videos are much closer to the tone and gameplay of the original series and to people that liked that, they're obviously going to have a lot more appeal.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 28, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
My apologies if this has been mentioned (I'm just starting to marathon this magnificent thread)- my understanding is that GLOOM actually kills people by compelling them to suicide. That's why there's so much discussion of people going crazy and, particularly, why there's discussion of bodies in the river- people drowning themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Night10194 posted:

I'm sorry you have a short attention span and no patience. Perhaps stealth games aren't for you.

E: To sound a bit less flip, I think this is a matter of differing tastes, in all honesty. The older Thief games are about large maps that focus on exploration, atmosphere and slow, deliberate gameplay with a lot of waiting for opportunities and planning your movement from shadow to shadow, and the Dark Mod intends to hit the same kind of feel. It's totally fine not to enjoy that kind of gameplay, but the Dark Mod videos are much closer to the tone and gameplay of the original series and to people that liked that, they're obviously going to have a lot more appeal.
I played and replayed Deus Ex - all of them + The Nameless Mod - even stooping to The Fall (don't, seriously). They all had an emphasis on stealth, but their stealth was more dynamic than "wait out a patrol route" and it wasn't the only option.

• Locked thread