Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Sorry to burst your bubble but she plays a stormtrooper

Ah well that's still fine, as long as she's in the movie I'm still happy. She's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Glow Sticks posted:

Was that Wedge flying the X-Wing?

Oscar Isaac.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

teagone posted:

IMAX shot of the falcon

click for HUGE

Jesus that still is beautiful.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

pixelbaron posted:

needs more imo

ok

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Glow Sticks posted:

I think that was Oscar Issac's character.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I'm so so hyped on that saber. The crackling blade and non-standard design are making me think we're going to see some real raw sith/ancient sith ghost influence stuff. Put a Revan kinda mask on whoever is holding that and my poo poo will be beyond lost.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Sorry to burst your bubble but she plays a stormtrooper

All the articles I've seen speculating her character have that listed as well as that she has been training with a lightsaber so I am not giving up my hope just yet.

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty
That X-Wing shot :swoon:

Glow Sticks posted:

I think Denis Lawson has said that no way would he come back. Which is a shame, but no suprise considering he's pretty much disowned the part ever since he finished making the OT.

Devol_Tettran fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 28, 2014

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

IMAX shot of the falcon

click for HUGE

New BG time.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

thank you friend

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sombrerotron posted:

What about the goddamn opening shot of A New Hope.

Static camera with two things gradually and slowly moving into the frame.

Actually, there is a shot that looks like that in ANH, only framed differently - when the alien pops up in the cantina.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Guys...

Guys.

It's okay.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crossguard_lightsaber

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I wasn't young enough to experience the Star Wars movies in cinema as a kid, and I was 5 years old when the Phantom Menace was released and I didn't really give a poo poo. But this trailer.. drat. When that music hit, I couldn't stop grinning. This is gonna be awesome.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I really want Oscar Isaac to be a jedi. It's what we all deserve.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

I'd be cool with him being some ace X-Wing pilot.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Darko posted:

It's easily the best looking of the prequels and the only one that doesn't hurt my eyes :)
There's actually a level of restraint in TPM compared to the other films that helps a lot with that. Lucas did not reach the level of throwing any toyetic idea he could imagine on the screen yet.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jewmanji posted:

With the giant mancrush I've developed on him after Inside Llewyn Davis, I have to agree.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
For all the problems with the prequels they did feel like Star Wars. This does not.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

im gay posted:

There is no point to the lightsaber's features, it would actually probably cut the user's hand off. Retarded.

Yes, that's why crossguards have never existed on swords in history before, they is no point to them whatsoever. None.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Jewmanji posted:

A jedi that carries a cat everywhere.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Timeless Appeal posted:

There's actually a level of restraint in TPM compared to the other films that helps a lot with that. Lucas did not reach the level of throwing any toyetic idea he could imagine on the screen yet.

Except perhaps Jar Jar Binks.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Comparing a modern sci fi movie to ANH is hard to get away with, considering most of what Lucas did there was loving new and amazing for its time.

Comparing the few shots in this trailer to the prequels is completely legit.

Especially because the things in the shots are dynamic as all hell.

And hell I like the saber.

I also liked Darth Maul's saber reveal in the TPM trailer.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZCHHHHOWWWWWWWWWWWW

PEW PEW PEW

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Thom12255 posted:

For all the problems with the prequels they did feel like Star Wars. This does not.

You're right.

It feels like Star Wars made by a much more talented team of individuals.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Still super-silly, tho?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

citing EU is the opposite of a good defense

lmbo

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Ugh. Not at all what I wanted.

It's like all the air was sucked out of the room, along with all of my hype. Oh well.

:smith:

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

This is exactly what I thought of when I saw that shot.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Skittle Wood posted:

I feel like people complaining this doesn't feel like Star Wars are somehow unaware that cinema has advanced since the late '70s/early '80s.

I think a lot of people are going to be shocked at how 'un-Star Wars' it's going to feel, at least at first. Technology has moved beyond blue screens and matte shots, camerawork has become more dynamic... Part of what made the prequels feel so awkward was how they put new CGI and effects in with those older techniques. I'm pretty confident that even if the shaky-cam and other things throw us (older, jaded fans) for a loop at first, for younger kids experiencing this as their very first theater Star Wars experience, the finished product will inspire the kind of awe, wonder, and :tviv: that the originals did when they first came out.

Even if movie isn't going to be led in with the Fox fanfare. :sigh:

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Thom12255 posted:

I disagree. Checkmate.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

It's like all the air was sucked out of the room, along with all of my hype. Oh well.

Hahahahahahah

No worries, I'll take your spot in the theater.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

drat, those x-wings. That was fantastic and I am fully hyped.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The singular thought I had after that teaser: This is the movie JJ has been waiting to make his whole life.

Many commentators have said his Star Trek films are "Star Wars films as Trek" and now he gets to go hog wild with the IP he's been aping for years and it shows. Stormtroopers troopin', Falcon doing acorbatics, "gently caress the physics and reasons for a rolling droid, just make it happen".

It's gonna be an interesting ride.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Darko posted:

Static camera with two things gradually and slowly moving into the frame.
The camera pans down and "slowly moving" is pretty subjective. I'll grant you that maybe in the rest of the Ep 7 shot/scene the camera follows the stormtrooper on foot, which would be unusual in a Star Wars film. But then the shot with the Sith already has that and anyway I'm getting off track here.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Sucks for you!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not happy until I see a light chainsaw

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Care to elaborate? Or did you just feel like doing a drive-by? Empty praise and empty criticism are both equally worthless.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Thom12255 posted:

What?

There was more passion and craftsmanship on display in every single shot in that trailer, than in the entire prequel trilogy.

and no, I'm not joking.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gonz posted:

A jedi that carries a cat everywhere.

Put that in the next teaser and the internet would explode with acceptance.

My cousin told me that she showed the trailer to her 8 year old son and he is FLIPPING THE gently caress OUT. That's the best meter of a star wars teaser if you ask me.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Eh, I think it's fine. But then again, I really liked the Episode I teaser with Jake Lloyd having Vader's shadow and look how *that* turned out.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Oh hey look it's a JJ Abrams movie. Yawn.

I really wish he had never directed Star Trek. While I am not a fan of his at all, I think he is a much better fit for Star Wars. It just sucks that he got his hands on the Star Trek reboot and now those films have to follow the vision and style he set up with the first two films, and Star Wars seems like it's going to be cut from the same cloth.

Seems like the biggest difference between the feel and style of the new Star Trek movies and this is going to be different character names and places and stuff. Like, the new Star Trek films with a splash more fantasy and Star Warsy stuff. I know I'm way oversimplifying it, but that's what it feels like. JJ Abrams Sci-Fi action franchise take two.

I'm probably not making sense but whatever. Basically, I just wish the same dude didn't end up directing both the reboot of Star Trek and the new Star Wars, two iconic Sci-Fi franchises. It's just silly to me.

I'll still watch it, and likely it won't be bad at all. Just, like most films like it these days, I'll forget about it as soon as I leave the theater. His films have no depth to really make them stick in your mind and imagination longer than it takes to watch them.

I felt the same way about Guardians of the Galaxy, a universally loved movie. It was a fun ride, and a good sci-fi action flick, but it was pretty shallow and kind of a one-time experience, as in you can pretty much absorb everything it has to offer from your first viewing. Stuff like easter eggs in the background during the collector's scene don't count. I'm talking about the film having a substance and being crafted in a way that you can imagine watching it a bunch of times. I felt Guardians of the Galaxy missed the mark in this department, as did Star Trek 09 and Into Darkness, and as this probably will. poo poo, might as well throw in Jurassic World into this category after seeing it's trailer. I certainly didn't think Guardians deserved all the crazy hype it was getting. Maybe it's just because I'm an older and now more jaded and experienced viewer. Or I'm just a stupid shithead.

Well guys, that's my post about how I think a movie that I haven't seen yet is going to be a let down, based on my opinion of the other Sci-Fi action films he, and others, directed. Thanks for reading! :wink:

Damo fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax
Looks like a Star War, I'm excited.

I'm also a fan of space wizards and light swords and tend not to take it too seriously so take that for what it's worth.

THE BOMBINATRIX fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 28, 2014

• Locked thread