Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

The opening bothers me largely because not only is it recycled animation (which is fine) but it is poorly recycled animation. The shot choices they made barely fit the song and it ends up looking really really low-effort. I mean I skip the opening mostly at this point but still.

I don't skip the opening because I love the song, much more so than the ending which most everyone else seems to far prefer, but yea, I never really watch the opening - just leave it on in the background while I do something else for a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Under the vegetable posted:

People watch anime OPs more than once? This honestly shocks me.

Look at this person who didn't watch the Utena opening every time. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL25C0H9vVw

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Maarak posted:

A show that pushes the limits of its budget by trading fluid animation for great backgrounds, keyframes, and composition is doing everything right. The OP might as well be all text on a black background.

Yeah, it's very much not a priority for the limited resources of the production team, a new OP would be a nice surprise but is so incidental to the actual show that I really don't care or mind if they stick with this one for the whole run.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The only complaint I have with the OP is they need to update the footage for the next arc.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Some ops are amazing.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv_WHH96Pf8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AW6WfuWuOg

:colbert:

Chalupa Picada fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 24, 2014

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Everytime. Every god drat time. I don't even realize it until I start singing along.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Samba De Amigo posted:

Everytime. Every god drat time. I don't even realize it until I start singing along.

It's impossible not to belt out YAAAAAAAA-MAAAAAAAA-TOOOOOOOOO along with it. It just can't be done.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What's a lot rarer is taking the time to watch the ending. Very few anime had endings good enough for me to watch theme every time. This is one of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCg0JyuJQug

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've been skipping the G-Reco OP sometimes since while the music is nice the way they use recycled animation really does not go well with the song.

I definitely watch the ED every single time though! It's so catchy.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Srice posted:

I've been skipping the G-Reco OP sometimes since while the music is nice the way they use recycled animation really does not go well with the song.

I definitely watch the ED every single time though! It's so catchy.

Me and my roommate watch the OP because we're too lazy to skip through it honestly, but the ED we watch specifically for Mask's high-kick.

He really gets that leg up there and it's beautiful.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Raraiya is happy, about volunteering to help raise guide dogs.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I forget where I read this, but apparently, this week's episode is coming to us courtesy of Tetsuro Araki and the AoT team at Wit Studio.(?)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

People talking about OPs they watch every time in this topic, and no mention of this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97j86qH91Nk

For shame.

MonsieurChoc posted:

What's a lot rarer is taking the time to watch the ending. Very few anime had endings good enough for me to watch theme every time. This is one of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCg0JyuJQug
... Close enough. Thread's shame revoked.

(That ending is one of the most beautiful things. I never skipped it either.)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The episode director for this week's episode is Tetsuro Araki, famous for directing Death Note and Attack on Titan (and infamous for directing Guilty Crown). So have a brief article about that and G-Reco in general!

quote:

Yoshiyuki Tomino, creator of the Mobile Suit Gundam series and director of the currently airing installment Gundam: Reconguista in G, has an unfortunate reputation for being cranky and difficult to work with. He nonetheless has a large fanbase, among them Tetsurō Araki, director of hit anime series like Attack on Titan, Guilty Crown and Death Note. Araki recently asked Tomino about working with him, and to his delight, he accepted, handing Araki episode directing duties for Gundam Reconguista's tenth episode.

Araki got excited when he found out that Tomino was making another anime series. "As a Tomino fan, I thought I'd like to subtitle one of his works," he explained. "I felt I had a chance." Tomino says that he had seen Episode 1 of Attack on Titan and largely approved. "He keeps a good watch compared to mediocre directors. He captures a worldview. Araki-san tries his best. I happily considered approving all of the young generation instead of rejecting them all. I would've declined to direct Attack, but if I had accepted I wouldn't have been able to make this."

Araki was shocked when he received Tomino's feedback on his storyboards. Over a hundred notes had been attached to the pages, some with brutal comments like "This is nauseating" and "I want them to understand the direction of this scene." But Araki expected this sort of treatment from Tomino, and even says that he treasured the notes. "I stuck them on my desk," he admitted.

"With Araki as its center, a new day is coming for the anime world. That's not flattery. [Gundam Reconguista] may just be a giant robot show, but it's part of our culture. I don't want him to screw around making it." Despite his tough talk, Tomino concedes a certain amount of respect for Araki and his generation. "At my age, it's fine to show off to young people, but for someone of my level all we can do is study. I'm normal. If I had talent, maybe I would've made stuff like Ghibli... [Each time I spoke with Araki] I had to repeat to myself, 'You need to study. You need to broaden your viewpoint.' Also, when I went into the studio for the first time in ten years, I thought there were people with incredible talent, but they're not trying to go worldwide."

Tomino also says that he doesn't understand the reaction he's gotten about Gundam Reconguista "because they don't see [the work we put into it]. If they saw it, they would realize they wouldn't be able to do the work." He admits that parts of the show may be difficult for the target audience — kids — to follow, but thinks that when they grow older, they can rewatch and understand.

Tomino being incredibly particular about storyboards is cool, and really explains why the choreography in the show has been consistently stellar.

Srice fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 28, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Tomino.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This Araki's done some OK-ish work (even if it mostly amounts to accurately conveying source material and making it shinier without significantly enhancing its quality), but I always get disappointed when I see his name in an anime post and realise it's not talking about the other Araki. C'mon, Tomino, you've got the sparkles, the poses, and the rainbow palette. Why not go all the way?

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Oh crazy anime grandpa. :allears: But didn't Tomino had some not very good comments for attack on titans?

Darth Walrus posted:

C'mon, Tomino, you've got the sparkles, the poses, and the rainbow palette. Why not go all the way?

RaRa's bizzare adventure: G-self's pride.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Oh yeah, new episode is out. Looks like the schism in the two military arms of the capital is growing deeper.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Looks like Aida's still a terrible pilot!

It feels like the direction is slightly different, too, in that the mobile suits were treated a bit more like they were directing humans rather than big machines, which was a little odd. It's still packed with those little animation touches that this show is so good at, which makes me wonder how many of those storyboard changes Tomino wanted were adding little things in shots. My favourite was probably Bellri waving at another suit, and the G-Self's arm visibly doing the same thing in the cockpit cameras.

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 28, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

sunburnedcrow posted:

Oh crazy anime grandpa. :allears: But didn't Tomino had some not very good comments for attack on titans?

He read a little bit of the manga and had both positive and negative things to say about it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Really good episode, not a lot to say beyond how yet again, the small animation touches on this show are really incredible.

Also recksnows in bandannas. :3:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Red Bones posted:

Looks like Aida's still a terrible pilot!

At this point I don't think Aida is going to recover from her space retard syndrome.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Midjack posted:

At this point I don't think Aida is going to recover from her space retard syndrome.

She did get in a pretty sweet judo throw on that Wuxia.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Really good episode, not a lot to say beyond how yet again, the small animation touches on this show are really incredible.

Bellri spinning down the pole was delightful. Most shows would just keep that sort of animation static but they went the extra mile, and I love it.

Raraiya was also really frisky in some of her animations too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anyone notice Rariya was staring pretty drat hard at the space elevator while they were on the way to the Megafauna? She's definitely getting more coherent, and I'm wondering if the "Noredo's House!" thing was just to get her closer to the Space elevator.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Midjack posted:

That's Raraya. Aida's Amerian. Her problems are courtesy of good ol' Planet Earth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The animation this episode was quite good but the change in style made it hard to tell what was the G-Self being normal and what was the G-Self acting unusual I can't tell if it DBZ zwee-fighting was because of its boosted output (seemingly in response to Bellri's emotions), something it can normally do or a side-effect of equipping the backpack.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

One of the best episodes yet, and it did not even have Klim Nick or Mick Jack, I want to see more of Araki's scripts now!

But they return next episode so I'm excited. :allears:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The animation this episode was quite good but the change in style made it hard to tell what was the G-Self being normal and what was the G-Self acting unusual I can't tell if it DBZ zwee-fighting was because of its boosted output (seemingly in response to Bellri's emotions), something it can normally do or a side-effect of equipping the backpack.

Yeah that ridiculous punch near the end definitely felt like how Araki would do things. I'd have noticed that even if I didn't know about the episode director in advance.

GimmickMan posted:

One of the best episodes yet, and it did not even have Klim Nick or Mick Jack, I want to see more of Araki's scripts now!

Far as we know Tomino still did the scripts. He just directed the episode.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

I know we're seeing the glorious debut of the Jahannam Space Type, but did you catch whether Mick's using the Hecate or the Armorzagan? C'mon, people, the Bigro Zam's cool, but you promised us a Dom wielding a Gatling gun with a beam chainaxe bayonet. Quit holding out on us.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Man the capital army must have some really impressive manufacturing tech, it feels like they're retooling for a new gunpla mobile suit every week at this point.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sindai posted:

Man the capital army must have some really impressive manufacturing tech, it feels like they're retooling for a new gunpla mobile suit every week at this point.

Thats a pretty common Gundam trope to be honest. Other examples are Zeon's menagerie or the fact that the Freedom was built from the ground up in only a few months.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
The Wuxias are pretty cool, bonus points for them being a robot football team

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Capital is the only country on Earth that's supposed to have those sorts of capabilities, anyway. They've just started using their powers for evil.

And holy hell, they were pushing the Japanese-remilitarisation-is-kinda-creepy angle this episode. A bunch of manchildren going off to war in samurai-themed giant robots to a chorus of 'banzai's? Yyyep.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sharkopath posted:

I laughed out loud when that happened. Loved seeing them tying them on to their heads. Favorite moment though was probably Aida turning just before she's attacked by the Wuxia, and her rifle hopping off a tree. She really needs to get a smaller one. Also, Kerbes or whatever his name is seems to be hitting it off with Aida. With them noting that Bellri is adopted and possibly Aida's sister, that could develop in to a fun little relationship.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

I laughed out loud when that happened. Loved seeing them tying them on to their heads. Favorite moment though was probably Aida turning just before she's attacked by the Wuxia, and her rifle hopping off a tree. She really needs to get a smaller one. Also, Kerbes or whatever his name is seems to be hitting it off with Aida. With them noting that Bellri is adopted and possibly Aida's sister, that could develop in to a fun little relationship.

Bellri is possibly Aida's sister? That would be surprising.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Not really. They speculated last episode about rumors that Bellri was adopted and despite Bellri having twigged a connection to Aida in the first episode, we're now over a third of the way through the show with them having spent time together every episode and there's no real romantic tension there as of yet. With Kerbes taking an immediate shine to Aida, and Aida treating the guy more friendly than she does Bellri already, presumably because there isn't the specter of a dead friend looming between them I would actually be surprised at this point if they did turn in to a romantic thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

Not really. They speculated last episode about rumors that Bellri was adopted and despite Bellri having twigged a connection to Aida in the first episode, we're now over a third of the way through the show with them having spent time together every episode and there's no real romantic tension there as of yet. With Kerbes taking an immediate shine to Aida, and Aida treating the guy more friendly than she does Bellri already, presumably because there isn't the specter of a dead friend looming between them I would actually be surprised at this point if they did turn in to a romantic thing.

I think you're missing quite what would be surprising about it.

First a black Gundam protagonist, now a transgender one? Go Tomino!

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 29, 2014

• Locked thread