Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Tarezax posted:

That's pretty old-school, yeah. Modern MMOs give mobs a leash distance by default, usually.

Also, more and more MMOs just don't have hard zone boundaries like EQ1 did, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Pity, the Ghoul King sitting at the zone to Upper Guk was always amusing.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Nipponophile posted:

Haha, what? That's some kind of backronym there. The origin of "kiting" was as people say, running around with monsters following you like kites on a string. It was first popularized in the original Everquest, where certain classes (loving druids) were able to kite things around that were intended to take a party to beat, at little or no risk to themselves.

Speaking of kiting mobs....

I remember long ago during original vanilla World of Warcraft some alliance went and kited the Orgrimmar flight master all the way to Silithus and then kept kiting him around the zone over and over, for like a few hours Orgrimmar had like no flight master.

Then the Goon Squad went and got their revenge on the Alliance by kiting the Theramore flight master.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2006/12/10/were-in-your-docks-kidnapping-your-flightmaster/

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Oh boy, just taking that entire death beach scene from an older episode and dropping it in this one wholesale? Oh, Log Horizon you shouldn't have!

....no really you shouldnt have

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Other than that though, decent episode!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

A fight against three raid bosses at once that is just unfair. Can you image the rage it would generate if an mmo like Wow did that?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Kirin in FFXI comes to mind.

*fight four separate bosses, get drops from each to summon thing*

*fight big thing, it summons those same four bosses again*

Well...well drat.:smith:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Annointed posted:

A fight against three raid bosses at once that is just unfair. Can you image the rage it would generate if an mmo like Wow did that?

Eh, council fights are like that, Illidari Council was fun, as was Blood Prince council.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Annointed posted:

FFXIV has a dungeon like that, but at least the add in it is just a copy of the same boss again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
A boss fight that has multiple enemies with isn't terribly unusual. This is multiple boss fights at the same time. There is a hard limit on how many people can enter the zone at once, too.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Serious Frolicking posted:

A boss fight that has multiple enemies with isn't terribly unusual. This is multiple boss fights at the same time. There is a hard limit on how many people can enter the zone at once, too.

Earth Wind and Fire cheevo from Wrath was the most fun encounter in the game outside of Ulduar.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
They literally did the stupid beach scene all over again. Holy poo poo you sick pieces of Dragon Ball poo poo bastards.

Wow hey this is pretty cool Oh poo poo a knight boss HOLY poo poo 3 bosses at once ahaha that monk guys still a dick ahaha Oh poo poo that Ice Giant all dead hmm okay I guess walk around your crappy hometown blablah this is super boring Oh look it's the moon again oh what the gently caress. gently caress you. gently caress this poo poo not again. god dammit. Yay for next week!
:negative:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Drifter posted:

They literally did the stupid beach scene all over again. Holy poo poo you sick pieces of Dragon Ball poo poo bastards.

Wow hey this is pretty cool Oh poo poo a knight boss HOLY poo poo 3 bosses at once ahaha that monk guys still a dick ahaha Oh poo poo that Ice Giant all dead hmm okay I guess walk around your crappy hometown blablah this is super boring Oh look it's the moon again oh what the gently caress. gently caress you. gently caress this poo poo not again. god dammit. Yay for next week!

You got to appreciate the part where he says he didn't appreciate his parents enough with the note of his parents saying that they're sorry.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I thought the beach scene felt pretty different anyways after seeing how Shiroe felt just as filled with doubt as Akatsuki was.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Drifter posted:

there also was some MAJOR cockteasing as to what shiroe has learned about the universe and of course none of it is investigated at all. because ya gotta have that reused death scene

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
A Server ON THE MOON and a third party (as opposed to just people of the land and adventurers) in the game? I know I was all :aaa: holy poo poo what's going on? But nope, he had to go pat Akatsuki on the head again.

What's with all teh Garbage Dicks? They're everywhere now.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 29, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

It's the new Stupid Newbie avatar.

Raxivace posted:

I thought the beach scene felt pretty different anyways after seeing how Shiroe felt just as filled with doubt as Akatsuki was.

Not different enough to warrant just reusing it wholesale with no changes whatsoever. They could've skipped past it for new content because all the different stuff was in the lead up to it!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Oh that explains everything. Though I'm not sure if being known as Garbage Dick #7463 is better than Stupid Newbie or Toilet Lord.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Toilet Lord sounds pretty awesome, to be fair.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I really like how they have to substitute people counting out loud for a boss addon with timers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

I really like how they have to substitute people counting out loud for a boss addon with timers.

I was actually wondering just how the countdowns worked when apparently all major boss attacks have specific cooldowns.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
While I'm not a fan of them reusing so much of the beach scene, I don't think they went too far with it either. The majority of Shiroe's time on the moon was new stuff, and while I admit I don't really care about his childhood or origins it wasn't completely lacking in new information either.

This was a great episode. The guy verbally counting out the seconds to figure out the cooldown was great too.

As for the raid bosses, there's a difference between a council fight and fighting a regular boss and having two other full raid bosses show up. Like if you were fighting Arthas and both Sindragosa and Lana'thel suddenly crash the party. Just simply more damage than one party can deal with.

Also it's safe to assume they have their own gimmicks and it could be impossible to handle even if you tripled the amount of people in the raid. Like if one has a gimmick where you need to spread out and one has a gimmick where you have to stack up. You can't do both so you take far more than "just" three times the damage and you wipe.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Desuwa posted:

While I'm not a fan of them reusing so much of the beach scene, I don't think they went too far with it either. The majority of Shiroe's time on the moon was new stuff, and while I admit I don't really care about his childhood or origins it wasn't completely lacking in new information either.

This was a great episode. The guy verbally counting out the seconds to figure out the cooldown was great too.

As for the raid bosses, there's a difference between a council fight and fighting a regular boss and having two other full raid bosses show up. Like if you were fighting Arthas and both Sindragosa and Lana'thel suddenly crash the party. Just simply more damage than one party can deal with.

Also it's safe to assume they have their own gimmicks and it could be impossible to handle even if you tripled the amount of people in the raid. Like if one has a gimmick where you need to spread out and one has a gimmick where you have to stack up. You can't do both so you take far more than "just" three times the damage and you wipe.

My guess is that they'll try and have the bosses damage each other in friendly fire and engage in cleanup once one or more is at cortical life levels. Alternatively, they'll cave in the passageways or find out the spawn trigger isn't HP based

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
We have to remember that A) they're underleveled for this, B) it's not technically a game anymore, and C) it's guarding a fundamental world system that controls the gold in some way. All of these factors imply that it's not necessarily possible for them to win this fight. While gamers have a habit of making the impossible possible, much to the chagrin of the designers, and for that reason I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they did win, I think they might transition this into a moral about knowing when to quit. Shiroe also had that inner monologue about how he should have trusted the Kunie clan representative, so maybe this will end with negotiation instead of world firsts.

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

Desuwa posted:

My initial assumption was that the two additional bosses were used as a "soft" enrage due to taking too long.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Shodai posted:

My initial assumption was that the two additional bosses were used as a "soft" enrage due to taking too long.

I thought it was more of a sign that the bosses/monsters are becoming "intelligent" (like the adventurers) and are breaking the world by doing things not expected by the game. If a party of adventurers was beating down one of your boss buddies, would you just stand in an adjoining room and wait for them to finish politely?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Weed Wolf posted:

I thought it was more of a sign that the bosses/monsters are becoming "intelligent" (like the adventurers) and are breaking the world by doing things not expected by the game. If a party of adventurers was beating down one of your boss buddies, would you just stand in an adjoining room and wait for them to finish politely?

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. The whole theme of the show is that this world is becoming more and more like reality and the mobs are becoming intelligent, remember the signs that goblins had been training against each other? Think about raid bosses that actually strategize to some extent against players instead of following set patterns. Think of them eventually coming out of their dungeons and attacking player and PotL towns and maybe even coordinating to take out all the res points at once so players can't come back to life period.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I wonder how they'd treat death if it took a year of time before you were brought back, rather than immediately respawning. Like, you'd still be by all accounts immortal, but you'd miss out on a lot. That'd suck.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Drifter posted:

I wonder how they'd treat death if it took a year of time before you were brought back, rather than immediately respawning. Like, you'd still be by all accounts immortal, but you'd miss out on a lot. That'd suck.

I'd think they'll even be more cautious about dying. Because a lot can change if the local leader died for a year.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Raid bosses are only badasses inside of dungeons. Outside, there is no particular limit on the number of people who can attack them at once. Even Evil Santa, who had a mechanic which supposedly discourages human wave tactics can be dps'ed down from outside of his buff range. The only trick to that raid was figuring out what was going on with him and removing his ability to teleport.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Drifter posted:

They'd treat it as permadeath for the first year until someone respawns, I imagine.

killglance
Apr 13, 2012

Drifter posted:

What if it cost you a year of memories.

when you run out of those do you begin to lose intelligence and eventually become a vegetable?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

killglance posted:

What if it cost you a year of memories.

when you run out of those do you begin to lose intelligence and eventually become a vegetable?

All the cat adventurers start acting like real cats after they die.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

If the whole "you begin to become what you look like!!" thing is true, then it should really apply to more than just gender.

What I'm saying is Nyanta probably isn't just roleplaying any more.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Dragonatrix posted:

If the whole "you begin to become what you look like!!" thing is true, then it should really apply to more than just gender.

What I'm saying is Nyanta probably isn't just roleplaying any more.

Somebody hooked a cat up to their computer game. Cat causes the apocalypse.

Nyanta is the end boss is what I'm saying.

Arkanterian
Oct 1, 2013
Whoever is the VA for Nyanta in the dub, I want more of him.

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

Nice short shorts Shiroe. Wish they expanded a little more on the connection between the 'game' and the real world, but I guess the last episode is a step. Didn't Shiroe say he might've found a way out a few episodes back?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Bricklord posted:

Nice short shorts Shiroe. Wish they expanded a little more on the connection between the 'game' and the real world, but I guess the last episode is a step. Didn't Shiroe say he might've found a way out a few episodes back?

He told Nureha that he had a way of permanently removing an adventurer from the world, but was uncertain if that meant they would go back to earth. I don't think the specifics have been revealed yet.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

DheeradjS posted:

Whoever is the VA for Nyanta in the dub, I want more of him.

Saying 'nyaa' in a dub would usually raise tons of red flags, but it turns out that a black suave voice solves everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Plus it sounds quite close to "yeah", which goes well with the suave voice.

• Locked thread