Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

nielsm posted:

Asuna's mom is actually Yuuki.

That idea went through my mind too. Not that I think it's true, but it would be hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Mother and daughter bonding over 11 hit combos.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
At least we can all agree that Insect Site sounds like the raddest MMO ever.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Kirito is like the greatest rear end in a top hat ever, he takes time while fighting 20+ people to pose in front of an explosion. And does poo poo just to showoff

Also steals spotlight from Klein, who can never get a cool moment.

Arkanterian
Oct 1, 2013
He gotta impress that harem of him somehow right.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

DheeradjS posted:

He gotta impress that harem of him somehow right.

He doesn't even care about the Harem though, he still only likes Asuna, Klein can't get anyone. The most he's ever gotten was a "Hey you're not so bad" from Lisbeth :smith:

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Klein's problem is that he is 25 and that he spends most days hanging out with a bunch of 17 year olds.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Dexo posted:

Kirito is like the greatest rear end in a top hat ever, he takes time while fighting 20+ people to pose in front of an explosion. And does poo poo just to showoff

Bah. Klein's so awesome he doesn't need to show off, he just needs to be there man.

I've finished the first book, onto number 2! I've managed pretty well superimposing the Japanese voices on the English text pretty well, though Klein's the easiest.

But yeah my speculation: Yuuki *IS* in fact related to Asuna, and is probably one of her brothers, the one who was originally supposed to have the NerveGear, dressed as a girl for some reason? She switched to boku in a show that has never used the pronoun for girls before. But that doesn't fit with the Dive system suppose to not let people be the other gender, so its not 100%, but being related seems likely to me now. Avoided by her mother and the rest of the family because ~reasons~.

I've not read the light novels.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
So I got impatient and read up on the conclusion of this arc

Big spoilers
drat... Terminal illness patients is not at all what I was expecting. I thought they were all going to be going to start new jobs/schools or something that would keep them away, and that Yuuki was actually related to Ssuna, but to know that they are all going to die of AIDS and cancer is pretty morbid. I get the feeling that the death scene for Yuuki is going to be something of a tearjerker. I hope that they do it well because if they muck that up it would totally change the feeling of the show. I also hope that we get resolution on Asuna's problems because it would suck if the series ended without resolving that.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dexo posted:

That had me laughing hard. Klein is so badass that he is killing peeps in the back and no one defends themselves, too busy gawking.

They animated more poo poo in this one episode than the entirety of GGO. A very good episode dripping in silliness.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

But yeah my speculation: Yuuki *IS* in fact related to Asuna, and is probably one of her brothers, the one who was originally supposed to have the NerveGear, dressed as a girl for some reason?

Hmm. Possibly.
I'm increasingly believing that Yuuki is related to Asuna, but it also seems as though the whole guild of the Sleeping Knights have a big shared secret. Based on both the name and some comments about how much Yuuki seemed to be living in the game, I wonder if maybe the Sleeping Knights are all in comas or suffering from Locked In Syndrome or something similar.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The_White_Crane posted:

Hmm. Possibly.
I'm increasingly believing that Yuuki is related to Asuna, but it also seems as though the whole guild of the Sleeping Knights have a big shared secret. Based on both the name and some comments about how much Yuuki seemed to be living in the game, I wonder if maybe the Sleeping Knights are all in comas or suffering from Locked In Syndrome or something similar.

If you suffer from a terminal illness and might even be in constant pain, the original Nerve Gear might really a good alternative to traditional painkillers etc: Not only disabling the pain, but also giving you a virtual world to do things in. Between being stuck in a game and being stuck in bed+constantly drugged, the game definitely sounds like the better option.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

jng2058 posted:

So they're going to get in, fight the boss, then Asuna's gonna get unplugged by her mom at a crucial moment, right? Then she's gotta confront her mom and then get back online just in time to help the team beat the boss.

That's the obvious way for the show to play this. I hope they surprise me, but I kinda doubt they will.

Well fair's fair, it didn't go like I expected it to. The boss didn't make it past the halfway mark of the episode, and the focus shifted to "what's Yuuki's deal?" So, hey, good job show!

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Wouldn't the same technology that interdicts brainwaves also allow stuff like mechanical limbs for amputees and paralyzed people? Or is it just only functional when the person is asleep?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

YouTuber posted:

Wouldn't the same technology that interdicts brainwaves also allow stuff like mechanical limbs for amputees and paralyzed people? Or is it just only functional when the person is asleep?

Accel World kinda answers that, there are mechanical limbs roughly 60 years later, its unknown what exists in the current day.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Raenir Salazar posted:

But yeah my speculation: But that doesn't fit with the Dive system suppose to not let people be the other gender, so its not 100%, but being related seems likely to me now.

In reference to that spoiler (which is just a prediction): The system doesn't actually prevent people from playing as the other gender. It is up to the specific game to make that restriction. If you recall in the first episode of SAO, Kayaba changed everyone's avatar to look like themselves which revealed that there were a lot of guys playing as girls.

EDIT: "You're a guy?!" "You lied about being seventeen??"

Nalin fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 1, 2014

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Everyone was surprised that the giant conspicuous jewel that screams "weak point" turned out to be a weak point. These guys are pretty bad at video games.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Counter-point: These mobs are new and weren't encounter during the SAO incident and perhaps such an "obvious" weakpoint is actually a trap.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

U-DO Burger posted:

Everyone was surprised that the giant conspicuous jewel that screams "weak point" turned out to be a weak point. These guys are pretty bad at video games.

I'd like to imagine that SAO is this nightmare reality where there was never a Demon/Darksouls. It would make so much more sense to me when people die from traps.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Jaysus, that was heartbreaking ;_;.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Its a shame that the show's direction was so lacklustre during ALO and GGO; this show could've easily entered "Anime Classic" territory.

I can still point to it and Psycho-Pass as being excellent speculative fiction but its just so sad that the rest of the content and direction don't match up to the potential or heck the original writing.

Though the original writing has its weak points, I can "get" Asuna and Kirito in the context of the right chronology of things and progressive but by going by the first two books I like Lizbeth a hell of a lot more.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Spoiling this for myself last week really didnt make this weeks episode any easier to watch at all. Great episode, even though it was pretty sad.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

FiftySeven posted:

Spoiling this for myself last week really didnt make this weeks episode any easier to watch at all. Great episode, even though it was pretty sad.

It's been spoiled for a few weeks now, but I thought the jerks in this thread talking about AIDS were speaking in hyperbole, not literally.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God drat Super AIDS! When they finally kicked the dog they didn't gently caress around.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Jessie is also acceptable.

I went to check this out and it is a crying shame I didn't see what I did see of Pokemon in Japanese. It is crazy fun compared the dub. Now I am tempted to watch the series in Japanese.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

oohhboy posted:

God drat Super AIDS! When they finally kicked the dog they didn't gently caress around.

Interestingly enough its been somewhat tamed compared to the light novel, which just keeps kicking the dog after its already been downed.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

The_White_Crane posted:

I wonder if maybe the Sleeping Knights are all in comas or suffering from Locked In Syndrome or something similar.

IT WAS EVEN SADDER THAN I IMAGINED. :(

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So was I the only one that thought "Hey here's several minutes of exposition on why you should feel sad for this character" was actually really weak and not that effective?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raxivace posted:

So was I the only one that thought "Hey here's several minutes of exposition on why you should feel sad for this character" was actually really weak and not that effective?
eh, it was kinda 'welp, here's a sad thing, bye' but yuuki is likable enough that it worked

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Raxivace posted:

I basically saw the explanation and wondering how the hell the infected blood even made it to a point where it was usable for transfusion. I mean, there are many many many reasons why blood donations need to be screened and such!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Raxivace posted:

It was good by SAO standards. Still pretty bad by normal standards. Especially with that two recent episodes of Yuki Yuna.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yosuke posted:

I basically saw the explanation and wondering how the hell the infected blood even made it to a point where it was usable for transfusion. I mean, there are many many many reasons why blood donations need to be screened and such!

That's the main thing where the episode falls for me.

The part where it explores a third alternative in the euthanasia question is pretty good.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just as an FYI, Japanese hospitals are closed on weekends and evenings.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Beef Waifu posted:

Just as an FYI, Japanese hospitals are closed on weekends and evenings.

They're... Seriously? The weekend and evenings are the times people are most likely to get hurt, because they're not holed up at work. How is this a good decision? :raise:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Yosuke posted:

LN discussion for the latest episode:

The anime cut a LOT of dialogue between Asuna and the doctor where the doctor explains basically everything that could be explained. How Yuuki got infected, how her family handled it, her troubles at school, her current medical situation, etc.

In regards to how Yuuki got infected, the doctor starts with explaining how blood tests are performed: the antigen test and the NAT test. From a little bit of research, a NAT test for AIDS was first licensed by the FDA in 2001. In the US, there is, on average, a 17 day window period after initial infection where a NAT test cannot detect the virus. The doctor explains that the bad blood was in the window period and tested as false, which is how it made its way to the mother. Basically, a freak medical accident.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Yosuke posted:

Remember Isaac Asimov contracted AIDS through a similar means. :(

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Okay, you know what? I was actually pretty fine with how this played out, if only because (Ep 22) most other shows don't take the loving time to go in-depth about what's wrong with someone. It's just like, bullshit moe disease with fainting and anemia followed by convenient death. This, they took the effort to explain the disease - a particularly drug-resistant strain of AIDS - and put it in a semi-realistic context, and that in itself made it feel less contrived. I really appreciated that poo poo. It was emotionally manipulative on the basic level, but it didn't treat the audience like idiots. Also, I fall for this emotional manipulation every time anyway, so I might as well feel justified when I bawl over pixels.

Woulda been much better if Yuuki turned out to be a pale, obese man in his mid-forties, though.

Harettazetta fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 8, 2014

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
It all kinda makes sense that the government is spending millions dollars on all this technology for her, it's reparations. I'd want to be robocop for a couple years if you killed me and my whole family with AIDS.

JDG1980
Dec 27, 2012
I wonder how Asuna plans to help Yuuki attend school. Maybe it has something to do with Kirito's attempts to bring Yui into the real world via Augmented Reality? Yuuki has a physical body, but for different reasons, she's just as much trapped in VR as Yui is.

That might also be a good way for them to wrap up the conflict between Asuna and her parents. Maybe her mom would be less skeptical of VR if she sees some real-world good come of it, and her parents might be more accepting of Kirito if he's the one who makes this breakthrough, thus demonstrating he's not just some loser who plays video games a lot. I do hope that arc doesn't last past this season; we've seen enough angry glares from Mom already. Time to move on, one way or another.

Maybe I just didn't notice it before, but Asuna's legs look really, really skinny in this episode. It could just be the art style, but it would make in-universe sense considering that she's been spending so much time in VR (including two+ years trapped in the NerveGear) and probably hasn't been eating or exercising enough in the real world.

The timeline of VR technology given in this episode is a bit screwy. Intuitively, you'd think that just cutting off or numbing the pain signals to the brain with a device like this would be much easier than injecting a full VR world experience. Yet apparently in the SAO universe, the VR MMO came first, and the medical applications only later.

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

JDG1980 posted:

I wonder how Asuna plans to help Yuuki attend school. Maybe it has something to do with Kirito's attempts to bring Yui into the real world via Augmented Reality? Yuuki has a physical body, but for different reasons, she's just as much trapped in VR as Yui is.

They're probably going to put her in a classroom by using Kirito's 360 dome camera thing to enable her to speak and look around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Bricklord posted:

They're probably going to put her in a classroom by using Kirito's 360 dome camera thing to enable her to speak and look around.

It's pretty much outright stated this is the case if you watched the ED for this arc.

• Locked thread