Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Yeah, I can understand attacking Sarah Palin for using him as a shield - but not attacking the kid himself. That's beyond the pale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

420DD Butts posted:

Yeah, I can understand attacking Sarah Palin for using him as a shield - but not attacking the kid himself. That's beyond the pale.

Well then, here we go... :getin:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

420DD Butts posted:

I doubt he was troubled by it. He seemed like an easy going kid

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Don't make me sad, please.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

I reserve my photoshop edits for classier political comedy, like 9/11 jokes, thank you very much.

:colbert:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

radical meme posted:

How many would be nodding in agreement with Cliff Racer if the discussion were about these images instead?

Well personally, I'm not going to call that :downs: baby a slut dressed for a bar. I have standards I prayed for hours to determine.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

That is really depressing. When it comes to attack Sarah Palin for not being able to keep her house in order, that was because she trumpeted herself as someone who was doing that. Which was a loving lie.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cliff Racer posted:

Because D&D didn't seem to have a problem with anyone talking about that stuff even though it was basically calling Sarah Palin's daughter a slut and teen mom.
Wait. You mean people were upset that a candidate who extolled the virtues of abstinence only education and a return to wholesome family values didn't have a family that reflected what she preached?

Well now I've seen everything!

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Crowsbeak posted:

Nope, unless they do something unlawful or ethically dubious they should not be attacked.

What about being a teenager and dressing up like they want a spot at the bar?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lote posted:

I don't think you're thinking of the appropriate bar at which one of the daughters is likely to find herself sitting.

Justice Obama 2038

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Lote posted:

Thats not ethically dubious. When I say ethically dubious I mean getting jobs with firms that lobby their parents.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 30, 2014

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
There is a huge difference between laughing at things in a goofy picture (What's that kid looking at? Why's that girl dressed like her doll?), and writing a lengthy, sincere commentary on how the picture implies all sorts of derogatory things about the kids' personal lives and their relationship with their parents. The GOP staffer didn't just write "lol why's Malia got a lovely look on her face and her outfit is crap", she did the latter.

Granted that goons have written lovely things about Trig in the past, but I doubt those are the same people criticizing this writer now.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lote posted:

Strange I don't remember much media coverage of when they got busted trying to use a fake ID.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Huge Liability posted:

There is a huge difference between laughing at things in a goofy picture (What's that kid looking at? Why's that girl dressed like her doll?), and writing a lengthy, sincere commentary on how the picture implies all sorts of derogatory things about the kids' personal lives and their relationship with their parents. The GOP staffer didn't just write "lol why's Malia got a lovely look on her face and her outfit is crap", she did the latter.

Granted that goons have written lovely things about Trig in the past, but I doubt those are the same people criticizing this writer now.

She wrote one paragraph about it. On Facebook. She then deleted it. It's not a big deal.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I didn't know evil liberals were attacking poor, defenseless Trig for making the decision to be a stupid, down syndrome baby and choosing to belong to Sarah Palin. :monocle:

This is my criteria for attacking a President's (or a congressman/senator's) children:

- must be adults or close to adult age
- must be actively doing something political on behalf of their parents
- must be doing something that goes against their Party's positions

By such criteria, the Obama girls and Trig are off limits, while Romney's "kids" and the Bush Twins aren't.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 1, 2014

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

- must be doing something that goes against their Party's positions

This only makes sense if they themselves agree with said positions.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

ThirdPartyView posted:

This only makes sense if they themselves agree with said positions.

I meant something like Bristol Palin having a kid out of wedlock, while still promoting abstinence.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Man do I hate slow periods in politics thread gets all sorts of dumb.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

How does that "hours of prayer" stuff supposed to work anyway? Did Jesus drop her a line after that telling her she was acting like a tremendous dick?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr Interweb posted:

I meant something like Bristol Palin having a kid out of wedlock, while still promoting abstinence.

You think she didn't know it was bullshit, didn't think she'd get ridiculed, didn't want to do it? She knows who keeps the gravy flowing, and you don't stand in front of a gravytrain.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

SirKibbles posted:

Man do I hate slow periods in politics thread gets all sorts of dumb.

Wanna talk about Ferguson some more?

http://kansasexposed.org/2014/11/29/ku-journalism-major-shreds-case-against-mike-brown/

KU journalism major posted:

Alright y’all. I’d like to clear a few things up. This is a general address to the long list of misconceptions and inconsistencies and abuses of power that exist surrounding the killing of Mike Brown. I have researched these points and provided sources in case you wish to do some reading of your own.
-The most common misconception I’m hearing is that Mike Brown was significantly larger than Officer Wilson. This is incorrect. On page 198 of the official grand jury transcript, you can see that Officer Wilson testifies he is 6 ft 4 and weighs 210 lbs, the same size as Mike Brown.
(source)
-Mike Brown was NOT stopped because he was a suspect in crime. He and his friend Dorian Johnson were stopped for jaywalking, as Darren Wilson testifies to on page 208 of his grand jury testimony.
-Mike Brown WAS fleeing from Officer Wilson when he was fatally shot. Wilson confirms this on page 281 of his grand jury testimony.
-Officer Wilson broke police self-defense protocol, which teaches to disarm and incapacitate rather than kill and teaches officers to go for body shots. Officer Wilson shot Mike Brown twice in the head, after he shot him four times in his arm and torso.
(source)
-Ferguson Police ignored protocol and refused to interview or take a statement from the eyewitness present from Officer Wilson’s initial contact with Mike Brown until his death.
(source)
-The forensic examiner broke protocol by failing to take crime scene photos. On page 95 of the grand jury transcript, she claims that this was because her camera had died, however, she goes on to describe how she immediately followed Wilson to the hospital in order to photograph his “injuries.”
-Forensic investigators broke protocol by failing to test Officer Wilson’s gun for fingerprints, since Wilson claims that Brown grabbed his gun and caused it to misfire. Page 39, grand jury transcript.
-Darren Wilson was then allowed to break protocol by washing the blood off of himself before it could be photographed, making it impossible to analyze blood spatter patterns and determine what position Mike Brown was in when Wilson first shot him. Wilson recounts this on page 10 of his official police interview.
(source)
-While Officer Wilson’s story of what happened that day has changed at least three times, six separate eyewitnesses, four of whom have never met each other, all have identical accounts of what happened. They were never interviewed by police.
(source)
-These eyewitnesses all agree that Darren Wilson was the aggressor and that Mike Brown was shot while surrendering, with his hands in the air and that his last words were “I don’t have a gun. Stop shooting.”
-This is backed up by Mike Brown’s autopsy, which suggests that Mike Brown would have had to be in the hands-up position for the bullets to enter his hand and arm the way they did.
(source)
-Furthermore, in a press conference, the coroner who performed Mike Brown’s autopsy relays that there was no trace of gun shot residue anywhere on his body, proving that Wilson’s claim that Mike Brown grabbed his gun, causing it to misfire, is impossible and untrue.
(source)
-Ferguson Police lied about the distance Mike Brown was from Officer Wilson when he was killed. They reported it was 35 ft. but it was in fact 148 ft.
(source)
-Owner of Ferguson Market states that he did not call police to report a theft of cigars, that the theft had nothing to do with Mike Brown, and that the man on the security footage is not Mike Brown.
(source)
-The prosecuting attorney for the case against Darren Wilson has helped raise $600,000 in donations for Darren Wilson, creating a clear conflict of interest.
(source)
-The police department that Officer Wilson worked for prior to coming to Ferguson was disbanded after multiple instances of racial profiling.”
(source)

I'm too lazy to go through and BBcode all the sources, but they are all available from the link.

Some drat fine investigative journalism here. It's too bad we have to get it from a kid in school, and not paid professionals, huh?

The only way officer Wilson's (current version of his) testimony is remotely believable is if you hear - that Wilson cordially approached Brown and said " Hey guys, why don't you walk on the sidewalk?", Brown responded "gently caress what you have to say", said "YOU'RE TOO MUCH OF A loving PUSSY TO SHOOT ME." when the gun came out, and most unbelievably, he " made like a grunting noise and had the most intense, aggressive face I've ever seen on a person" AFTER being shot and while charging into a hail of bullets - and you think it sounds plausible.

If so, you should A) probably stop watching so much TV and letting the media wind you up and B) probably have no real personal experiences living around and working with poor people of color, making it easier to fear the unknown.

I personally am a white Jew raised in the suburbs and was given every opportunity while growing up. As a younger man though, I spent the better part of a decade as a working musician living in the poorer parts of Oklahoma City, and wore many hats. People like the residents of Ferguson were the majority of my clientele while I was wearing my "sound engineer" hat, so I got a lot of experience working closely with such people. I'll admit I was intimidated at first, but I eventually got more comfortable with it as I realized that the portrayal on TV was largely bullshit and that ultimately they had the some rear end in a top hat/non-rear end in a top hat ratio as anyone else. Sometimes I think that experience is the only reason I have the perspective that I have.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Justus posted:

Wanna talk about Ferguson some more?

http://kansasexposed.org/2014/11/29/ku-journalism-major-shreds-case-against-mike-brown/

I'm too lazy to go through and BBcode all the sources, but they are all available from the link.

Some drat fine investigative journalism here. It's too bad we have to get it from a kid in school, and not paid professionals, huh?

The only way officer Wilson's (current version of his) testimony is remotely believable is if you hear - that Wilson cordially approached Brown and said " Hey guys, why don't you walk on the sidewalk?", Brown responded "gently caress what you have to say", said "YOU'RE TOO MUCH OF A loving PUSSY TO SHOOT ME." when the gun came out, and most unbelievably, he " made like a grunting noise and had the most intense, aggressive face I've ever seen on a person" AFTER being shot and while charging into a hail of bullets - and you think it sounds plausible.

If so, you should A) probably stop watching so much TV and letting the media wind you up and B) probably have no real personal experiences living around and working with poor people of color, making it easier to fear the unknown.

I personally am a white Jew raised in the suburbs and was given every opportunity while growing up. As a younger man though, I spent the better part of a decade as a working musician living in the poorer parts of Oklahoma City, and wore many hats. People like the residents of Ferguson were the majority of my clientele while I was wearing my "sound engineer" hat, so I got a lot of experience working closely with such people. I'll admit I was intimidated at first, but I eventually got more comfortable with it as I realized that the portrayal on TV was largely bullshit and that ultimately they had the some rear end in a top hat/non-rear end in a top hat ratio as anyone else. Sometimes I think that experience is the only reason I have the perspective that I have.

Um, I just checked one item that stood out,

quote:

-Mike Brown WAS fleeing from Officer Wilson when he was fatally shot. Wilson confirms this on page 281 of his grand jury testimony.

And that didn't happen.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
There's no chance of any action being taken against a prosecutor that helped raise money for the guy he was supposed to prosecute is there? I mean that should be a disbarment or something, right?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Well some poo poo rag has already started the campaign to turn Tamir Rice into a thug in training.

Gawker posted:

Earlier this week, authorities released video of a Cleveland police officer fatally shooting 12-year-old Tamir Rice. He was killed within two seconds of the cop's arrival at a park where he was seen holding an airsoft gun. On the same day the video was released, Northeast Ohio Media Group published a report titled "Tamir Rice's father has history of domestic violence."
Video: Cops Shot, Killed 12-Year-Old Two Seconds After Arriving at Park

Authorities released video this afternoon of a police officer fatally shooting 12-year-old Tamir… Read more

The article, which has so far been shared on Facebook over eight thousand baffling times, reports that Tamir Rice's father has a history of violence against women, including Rice's mother. Although it never explains the significance of this fact, it is preceded by an update:

(Update: A line has been added to this story to give insight into the motivation to investigate the parents' background)

That line—added after the fact, presumably due to questions about the article's relevance—doesn't give the insight promised: "People from across the region have been asking whether Rice grew up around violence." Oh, have they?

Assuming it is true that "people from across the region" have been asking whether a child mistakenly killed by police while holding a toy "grew up around violence" (and there is obviously interest in the answer, seen in the incredible amount of social sharing), it is hard—impossible, really—to justify taking seriously, and acting upon, the clear search for blame in an innocent child.

12-year-old Tamir Rice was killed by police in two seconds. His parents' backgrounds, violent or not, had no bearing on his death.

[image via AP]

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

quote:

People from across the region have been asking whether Rice grew up around violence.

No, he was raised in a holodeck. He never saw any images of violence.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

I'm just ASKING QUESTIONS, MAN. posted:

People from across the region have been asking whether Rice grew up around violence.

Sure, right up until he loving stopped growing up, also while around violence.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

US Politics December - It's All White People's Fault. No, Really, It Is.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
What is it with these guys and writing insane scripts for the victim? Like, they get away with it regardless. Zimmerman said Trayvon said 'you got me' when he got shot, now this guy says Brown was calling him too pussy to shoot. It's almost like the people all kinda have the same root cause of being insecure, fear filled, bigots with power fantasies...

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
My absolute favorite bullshit lie from Wilson's testimony is that Brown reacted as if each bullet that hit him was a powerup.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

CarterUSM posted:

Sure, right up until he loving stopped growing up, also while around violence.

I grew up around constant domestic violence and around tons of guns. I guess that means I should have been shot by the cops when I was a kid! Oh wait... I'm white. Nevermind.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

What is it with these guys and writing insane scripts for the victim? Like, they get away with it regardless. Zimmerman said Trayvon said 'you got me' when he got shot, now this guy says Brown was calling him too pussy to shoot. It's almost like the people all kinda have the same root cause of being insecure, fear filled, bigots with power fantasies...

it's probably rooted in that recent study that showed that white people literally believe black people have superhuman powers and levels of aggression

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Tigntink posted:

I grew up around constant domestic violence and around tons of guns. I guess that means I should have been shot by the cops when I was a kid! Oh wait... I'm white. Nevermind.

I was referencing the fact that his growing up, around violence or not, ended abruptly due to someone else's violence being inflicted on him. It certainly wasn't an effort to support that imbecilic theory about "black kids are naturally violent thugs because domestic violence. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

CarterUSM posted:

I was referencing the fact that his growing up, around violence or not, ended abruptly due to someone else's violence being inflicted on him. It certainly wasn't an effort to support that imbecilic theory about "black kids are naturally violent thugs because domestic violence. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Oh sorry - you were clear. It's absurd to blame a child for their own death just because they grew up in a violent neighborhood. You are 100% right. I just think it's absolutely loonie that people can claim that black kids aren't treated differently than white kids or even other minorities.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

There's no chance of any action being taken against a prosecutor that helped raise money for the guy he was supposed to prosecute is there? I mean that should be a disbarment or something, right?
That's what I want to know. What does the Missouri bar association think of all of this? To me it's advertising Missouri to new lawyers looking at prosecutor jobs as "Come here and do any crazy poo poo you want!"

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

When did this happen?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's what I want to know. What does the Missouri bar association think of all of this? To me it's advertising Missouri to new lawyers looking at prosecutor jobs as "Come here and do any crazy poo poo you want!"

So it's par for the course for the legal profession?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

My absolute favorite bullshit lie from Wilson's testimony is that Brown reacted as if each bullet that hit him was a powerup.

"It was at that point I realized I had loaded my gun that morning with Super ShroomTM magical healing bullets. Everything would have been fine at that moment if it weren't for the fact that Brown had been on The DrugsTM which reacted poorly to the healing bullets and inflicted the Berserk status upon him. Lacking any other status-restoration items in the police cruiser due to departmental cutbacks my only course of action at that point was selflessly and regretfully chase down the berserking Brown and continue to pump magical healing lead into him, buffing his stats while praying for a fatal integer overflow before the monster that had been unintentionally created started to harm innocent bystanders. While tragic, this all could have been resolved peacefully if the FPD armory had remembered to order more Pheonix Downs"
-Wilson.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Um, I just checked one item that stood out,

And that didn't happen.

It appears to be based on this (from the testimony)

Darren Wilson posted:

One thing you guys haven't asked that has been asked of me in other interviews is, was he a threat, was Michael Brown a threat when he was running away. People asked why would you chase him if he was running away now.

I had already called for assistance. If someone arrives and sees him running, another officer and goes around the back half of the apartment complexes and tries to stop him, what would stop him from doing what he just did to me to him or worse, knowing he has already done it to one cop. And that was, he still posed a threat, not only to me, to anybody that confronted him.

Maybe it's a bit hyperbolic to extrapolate that quote to being definitive confessed proof of shooting the kid in the back, but if it's not concrete lawful evidence, I at least find it convincing that that's probably what happened.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Wilson's testimony literally makes Michael Brown sound like a grizzly bear, or like an evil alien from a Universal Studios movie. Shooting them just makes them mad, but they might pause just to scream at you in primal fury. :rolleyes:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I don't know if this is from a recent episode as I stopped watching South Park yonks ago but did South Park really just say that there shouldn't be hate crime laws?

And of course IMGUR upvotes it by 6000 votes. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't know if this is from a recent episode

Season 4.

• Locked thread