Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

so what should people working midwest cities do

or technically southern in my case i guess (but we didn't secede!)

kill themselves and everyone around them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

qirex posted:

I think there's a cultural thing in a lot of companies that even a critical IC should never make more money than any management so if Flyover Widgets, Inc. is paying their dumb middle manager MBAs $80k they literally can't offer more than 75 to a mere employee

this is one of the main things sv cos have got right, still need to figure out how to fix the "managers make all the promotion/stock/bonus/raise decisions" thing tho

people are surprised this some how results in discrepancy in favor of managers over time

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

I think there's a cultural thing in a lot of companies that even a critical IC should never make more money than any management so if Flyover Widgets, Inc. is paying their dumb middle manager MBAs $80k they literally can't offer more than 75 to a mere employee

this explains pretty much everything about the reticence of these flyover firms. the pay of an individual contributor will have effects all the way up the chain

if you hire a programmer at 130k instead of 100k,
then his team lead has to book 170 instead of 120,
the cio/cto suddenly wants 250 instead of 150,

...and eventually all the new guy's teammates find out they're being underpaid by 30k and start asking for poo poo too.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pr0zac posted:

people are surprised this some how results in discrepancy in favor of managers over time

all business decisions involve principal/agent problems. "management" and "bureaucracy" are the solutions chosen for the problem. you know full well, going into it, that management will choose to overpay itself.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

medicaid and medicare aren't the same thing

she probably doesn't qualify for medicaid if she still has things like money and assets that haven't been remitted to you

you're right, I misread. they still have money, not the kind of money you need to get really great health care though.

America :911:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

kill themselves and everyone around them

rude

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

uncurable mlady posted:

you're right, I misread. they still have money, not the kind of money you need to get really great health care though.

America :911:

yeah dta

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

don't overlook the fact that they also are unwilling to invest any money in training their employees so the field of potential applicants is narrowed to the search for a loving unicorn. likely primarily driven by the fact that they skimp on internal raises so their retention rate is poo poo as everyone knows the only way to get back up to parity with the market rate or even just to keep up with inflation and cost of living is to switch employers.

this is, to me, one of the most infuriating things about working in tech. I mean, nearly all of us enjoy learning and indeed our knowledge is how we make money. So you have a field where people want to learn and think creatively, then you get out into the world of work and nearly all the employers go "oh, that's great that you've learned all these skills because we didn't want to have to train someone who can figure out multivariate calculus or write a compiler from scratch any new skills". Because obviously why would you want a broader base of workers with more diverse skills. It's so loving stupid.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

can we have a new york vs san francisco slapfight because those are always fascinating

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Broken Machine posted:

this is, to me, one of the most infuriating things about working in tech. I mean, nearly all of us enjoy learning and indeed our knowledge is how we make money. So you have a field where people want to learn and think creatively, then you get out into the world of work and nearly all the employers go "oh, that's great that you've learned all these skills because we didn't want to have to train someone who can figure out multivariate calculus or write a compiler from scratch any new skills". Because obviously why would you want a broader base of workers with more diverse skills. It's so loving stupid.

if you train someone then they'll want better pay and they'll be able to get it by switching jobs

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

carry on then posted:

can we have a new york vs san francisco slapfight because those are always fascinating

how is sf as dirty as the dirty parts of nyc

i legit do not understand this

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

there are some good cities in the great lakes region. chicago, minneapolis/st. paul. i guess that's it really.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

which city has more public pooping?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Seattle is pretty awesome and we have legal weed.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

massive underinvestment in a lot of things

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

if you train someone then they'll want better pay and they'll be able to get it by switching jobs

"what if we train our employees and then they go to other jobs"

"what if we don't and they don't"

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is the worst thing about flyover country, not the pay

finding a new job in a particular niche is hell. if you are stuck in a second-tier city (that isn't san francisco) there's only so much room for specialization

back when i lived in the flyover states i knew a ~*~ web scale ~*~ distributed systems developer who took a python web dev job just for the sake of changing jobs. there was literally nothing in his niche within 100 miles, and his wife wasn't about to move away from her family. i knew another guy who left a skunkworks/research group with an unlimited budget at a major aerospace firm for an IT operations job. this was also a move for his wife's family, and it was all he could find in my lovely hometown

yeah id totes move back to kansas city despite the pay, but itd mean having to work somewhere like idk cerner

meanwhile a few of the big names do have offices in toriville so id consider that a way better compromise in terms of options

i sorta expect ill end up just saving a ton in sv then moving somewhere else and buying a place outright

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Progressive JPEG posted:

i sorta expect ill end up just saving a ton in sv then moving somewhere else and buying a place outright

cheap places are cheap for a reason

i could fly out and buy a place outright in an ok mid-size market, with cash. but then i would own a house in a place where my career options are sharply limited. that's not a win, unless i intend to vacation there

this is probably my retirement plan

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i lie to myself too

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

same but not in america

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Elder Postsman posted:

there are some good cities in the great lakes region. chicago, minneapolis/st. paul. i guess that's it really.

yeah I feel like we're doing pretty well up here but I don't have sv or ny experience to compare it with

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pr0zac posted:

this is one of the main things sv cos have got right, still need to figure out how to fix the "managers make all the promotion/stock/bonus/raise decisions" thing tho

my experience at FB is that it's harder for a manager to get a high rating or promotion than for a peer IC. substantially so, in fact. partly it's that there needs to be a role of sufficient scope for the new level, and we have more E7 technical challenges than we have M2 management scope slots.

(I've never had a promotion at FB, and don't expect that I'll get one at this point. similarly, I've taken a minus-one rating for delivery gaps that I would definitely not hold as strongly against an E8.)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

cheap places are cheap for a reason

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Subjunctive posted:

my experience at FB is that it's harder for a manager to get a high rating or promotion than for a peer IC. substantially so, in fact. partly it's that there needs to be a role of sufficient scope for the new level, and we have more E7 technical challenges than we have M2 management scope slots.

(I've never had a promotion at FB, and don't expect that I'll get one at this point. similarly, I've taken a minus-one rating for delivery gaps that I would definitely not hold as strongly against an E8.)

intel had "parallel" tracks for management & senior technical people, and there was a lot of reassuring talk about how people didn't have to choose

... still saw people choose

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

intel had "parallel" tracks for management & senior technical people, and there was a lot of reassuring talk about how people didn't have to choose

... still saw people choose

3m does the same thing, is intel a matrix org by chance?

i think only matrix orgs can pull this off because nobody has a direct manager

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
no, I had direct lines my whole time

there were dotted lines for a few select people, but by and large it was a pyramid. if i try to talk more i devolve into the local politics of the design team and groups within it, but the Standard Story was parallel tracks were available

actually, the first 4 years of my career i went through 4 managers, all of whom quit managing people after a year of me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

makes sense, intel seems too functional to be a matrix org

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hobbesmaster posted:

what's a "matrix org"? does that mean managers can boss around anybody?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

prefect posted:

it typically means you have at least one manager for your overall area, and one manager for a specific project you're working on. the overall area manager is managing on everyone in allt he projects, the project manager is managing everyone in the same project regardless of division.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

hobbesmaster posted:

now i'm remembering them throwing that word around for some of the cross-functional teams reporting structures, pls don't make me remember

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nintendo Kid posted:

it typically means you have at least one manager for your overall area, and one manager for a specific project you're working on. the overall area manager is managing on everyone in allt he projects, the project manager is managing everyone in the same project regardless of division.

is that different from having a project manager?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

also you can be assigned to multiple projects. someone may have you set in microsoft project to be 30% on project a and 70% on project b

what happens when project a and project b's PMs both come at you with a crisis?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

prefect posted:

you have a dozen or more dotted-line bosses all competing for your attention, and each assigning you different work

because none of your bosses ever get anything done or really give a poo poo what happens to you, promotions and raises are determined by how much impact you make on your bosses bosses, i.e. people you see like ten times a year

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

hobbesmaster posted:

also you can be assigned to multiple projects. someone may have you set in microsoft project to be 30% on project a and 70% on project b

what happens when project a and project b's PMs both come at you with a crisis?

roll a d 10?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

so basically it allows for an exponential number of managers as the business grows instead of a merely linear number

sounds awesome

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

so basically it allows for an exponential number of managers as the business grows instead of a merely linear number

sounds awesome

imagine doing a 360 review process to assign and monitor every single piece of work

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

imagine doing a 360 review process to assign and monitor every single piece of work

i did a 420 review process with the vp of my group once, it was pretty chill, we had whisky too

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i have never once in all my professional experience seen a matrix model work out well for the medium or long term. not once.

it's like the simpsons communism joke. in theory it may sound nice but in practice...

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the second time I interviewed at yahoo they tried to explain their matrix org structure and I was just like :stare:

I talked to like 35 people that day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i have never once in all my professional experience seen a matrix model work out well for the medium or long term. not once.

it's like the simpsons communism joke. in theory it may sound nice but in practice...

lmao wow it's like exactly how oldjob was set up. no wonder things were so hosed.

• Locked thread