Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kin posted:

Ah, i just noticed that the upgrades are yet another currency.

Talk about bullshit.

Eh, you spend your creed points to give stuff minor upgrades. You're going to accumulate those points from just playing the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Aishan posted:

and during the melee use a non-lethal weapon

Oh, I didn't know the melee counted. :downs:

And yeah you literally swim in creed points by the end of the game.

vv Okay, yeah, bad use of the word 'literally', I'm sorry. Please don't call the Internet Police on me!

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 30, 2014

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Daily Forecast posted:

yeah you literally swim in creed points by the end of the game.

If you can actually literally swim in them Scrooge McDuck style then I retract what I said earlier about not wanting to pay full price for this game.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Kin posted:

Ah, i just noticed that the upgrades are yet another currency.

Talk about bullshit.

edit: Oh yeah, i placed a marker in the game via the companion app (pointing to an unlocked chest), but even though i collected the chest and removed the market from the app, the marker is still there on my screen in the main game. Is that pretty much there for good now or is there just some kind of delayed synch?

You can remove it in-game from the map screen, it says "remove helix bookmark" when you hover over it.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Aphrodite posted:

There's 150 or so free from Uplay, and you earn them somehow. I have about 450.

I got at least 1000 over time doing the story line missions ( I know this for sure because I spent those on the best sword, which costs 1000 points)

Kin posted:

So, all the armour/weapons in the game.

Is it possible to get them all? I checked the prices of the most expensive gear and it's ridiculous. Have they designed it so that to get everything you basically need to buy helix points?

Also, there's too much choice here. Which is the best way to buy gear? Focus on Health/Stealth? Melee? Does it depend on the item type?

I loving hate games that have a bajillion different pieces of equipment that only marginally change poo poo like health/damage.
Do the theater missions and buy the clubs and do their missions, you'll be drowining in money.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, if you do the theater upgrades first and spend a moderate amount of time on side stuff you can have all upgraded legendary equipment by the end of the game. The dumb thing is how only one or two legendary pieces are available for each slot without club unlocks.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
And if you're really hurting for money you can do what I did do what complete losers do and stand in front of your income chest and alt-tab out of the game (don't pause it) while you browse the internet or do other things. Just tab back every once in a while to collect it.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Daily Forecast posted:

And if you're really hurting for money you can do what I did do what complete losers do and stand in front of your income chest and alt-tab out of the game (don't pause it) while you browse the internet or do other things. Just tab back every once in a while to collect it.

I sometimes leave my console version running and earning while I putter around my apartment cleaning.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Daily Forecast posted:

I figure if i was that desperate for money i'd just use cheatengine or something to give me it instead.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

macnbc posted:

Anyone remember how long it takes for the big new AC game to start getting discounted? Now that I've finished Rogue I'm interested in Unity but there is no way in Hell I'm paying full price for it.

If every year for the past 5 years or so is a guide it should have gone on sale during Black Friday (but it didn't) and will almost certainly get ~$20 knocked off on Amazon around Xmas.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Zachack posted:

If every year for the past 5 years or so is a guide it should have gone on sale during Black Friday (but it didn't) and will almost certainly get ~$20 knocked off on Amazon around Xmas.

I noticed that pretty much every sale going on is for AC: Rogue. I wonder if Ubisoft is trying to push that one now since it doesn't have the bad press Unity does.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Did anyone else find two dead soldiers (one British, one French) holding hands around 632, -446 in the North Atlantic? I found them while looking for Templar relics and was wondering if it was an easter egg or just something random.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
Seems that Kotaku has a hot scoop: next year's Assassin's Creed is called Victory and is set in 19th century London.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I expect to be somewhat disappointed but the screen shots indicate that at least some of the UI is finally being moved "into" the game a la Dead Space. The only permanent UI element appears to be the minimap.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

At least everyone having British accents will make sense! :haw:

Also, I think this is a new record for an AC game leaking.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

I'd like to see an Ancient Rome or Ancient Greece Assassin's Creed but I'll buy this once it's playable (I expect another broken game at launch)

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
One thing that could be interesting would be a game set in the same city where you skip between different time periods. Rome would be pretty good for this, you could run around monumental buildings when they were at the height of their glory (the Domus Aurea, Circus Maximus, a fully intact Colosseum, Old St. Peters and so) or visit the city during the most dramatic episodes in its history (the various sackings, or even WW2).

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

I think there's something wrong with me. I'm not a fan of the gameplay of the series at all, yet I keep buying them just because I enjoy the atmosphere. Like Black Flag was incredibly fun to me, but only because of the whole setting/tone it had rather than the actual gameplay. Just knowing that the next game will be set in Victorian London made me go "Yup, I'm gonna play that." I am certain I won't enjoy the actual game at all yet that will do nothing to deter me from getting it.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Huh. If this leak is accurate, I have mixed feelings—I'd liked to either get out of Europe or continue with Arno in France, because I like him and I think his character had a lot of potential left. But hnnngh Victorian London would be cool.

Kopijeger posted:

One thing that could be interesting would be a game set in the same city where you skip between different time periods. Rome would be pretty good for this, you could run around monumental buildings when they were at the height of their glory (the Domus Aurea, Circus Maximus, a fully intact Colosseum, Old St. Peters and so) or visit the city during the most dramatic episodes in its history (the various sackings, or even WW2).

I bet they continue with the rifts for this kind of thing. It makes sense for cool bits that they can't include in a game. I had a lot of fun with these bits in Unity, and I don't care how silly they were.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Hopeford posted:

I think there's something wrong with me. I'm not a fan of the gameplay of the series at all, yet I keep buying them just because I enjoy the atmosphere. Like Black Flag was incredibly fun to me, but only because of the whole setting/tone it had rather than the actual gameplay. Just knowing that the next game will be set in Victorian London made me go "Yup, I'm gonna play that." I am certain I won't enjoy the actual game at all yet that will do nothing to deter me from getting it.

I have the same problem. What other explanation do I have for buying AC3 this past Steam sale and still enjoying it ~9 hours later? Hell I'll probably grab and enjoy Unity if they actually end up ironing the major bugs out.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Urgh, i swear this game actually had an alright framerate back when i started playing it but as i've progressively revealed more of the map it's getting more and more juddery.

Maybe that's the problem, maybe it's something as stupid as the more map you reveal, the more of the entire thing gets store in video memory until you run out and it starts to shudder at every conceivable point. I don't even know if that's how video memory works but i bet ubisoft probably found a way to make it work like that.

I'm in the skill upgrade menu and it grinds to a crawl :psyduck:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hopeford posted:

I dont mind the gameplay but i am in the same boat as you. Its the setting and the time periods that keep drawing me in. I am a history major, so i like seeing what they get right and what they get wrong. They usualy get alot right or at the very least the aesthetics right.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
There's probably not much further forwards in time they can really go, didn't Ubisoft say that cars and widespread use of guns are anathema for the series?

Having said that I'd like to see an AC game in 1920s Weimar Germany. May a multi-protagonist thing set in several cities, European and American.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

So have patches for PC done anything to make unity worthwhile? I really like the setting and paris looks great but all the talk about bugs etc. make me kinda hesitant to spend 60 bucks on this..

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Son of Rodney posted:

So have patches for PC done anything to make unity worthwhile? I really like the setting and paris looks great but all the talk about bugs etc. make me kinda hesitant to spend 60 bucks on this..

Honestly? No.

I'm using a GTX 970 and the damned thing still stutters and freezes.

I don't know what voodooish combination of hardware they used when testing this to convince them it was ready for release, but it's not any combination that another human on the planet has.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I've got a 2600k, un-RMA'd P8P67 Pro, and a 970 and I haven't had a single problem :iiam:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Oh look, Ubisoft plans for there to be another Assassin's Creed game starring another white dude in Europe next year.

This will go well. :allears:

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
Also on a GTX 970 and no issues or glitches at all. Patch 3 seems to have fixed the only thing that was bothering me (the game couldn't keep in sync with co-op partners).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

99.99999% of people don't care what color the protagonist is or what's between his legs so they have no real push to change anything.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Has there been any word on what will be in the next patch, and if it will tackle the framerate being poo poo?

I may have gamefly'd Unity and am curious if I should play it when it arrives tomorrow or if I should wait a week or so for a possible patch.

I don't give a toss about bugs or glitches, I just want a stable framerate.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

What settings do you have configured for the graphics on your 970's then? I've put everything up to max and i'm getting stuttering.

I also found a reddit post with some suggestions for tweaks to improve the performance on nvidea cards during cutscenes which worked well in the beginning but not so much any more.

I pretty much get some level of stuttering all over the place.

I suppose it could be my processor. I'm still currently on an i3 (an i5 is due soon).

edit: actually, these are the tweaks applied: http://steamcommunity.com/app/289650/discussions/0/624074858812666917/

Ok, i went in and dropped the Anti-aliasing options from the special Nvidea ones to SSAO and FXAA and now the game runs super super smooth.

I'm assuming I'll need a better CPU to handle the TXAA and whatever the other ambient occlusion setting is.

Kin fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 3, 2014

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I got the XBone bundle with Black Flag and Unity, but my internet sucks so I doubt I'll be using them. If anyone want to buy the codes, PM me.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I guess Ubisoft's business model at this point is "leaking" next year's title so it can be napenthene against the disappointment surrounding this year's title?

Who are you going to assassinate in Assassin's Creed: Victory? Jack the Ripper? Spring-Heeled Jack? Isambard Kingdom Brunel?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume you're going to end up being Jack the Ripper.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

99.99999% of people don't care what color the protagonist is or what's between his legs so they have no real push to change anything.

This is not true at all, unless you think only white males play AC.

Not only that but there is a giant loving world outside of Europe ripe for exploration. And yeah I'll be bummed if it's just another boring white male protagonist.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

Koalas March posted:

This is not true at all, unless you think only white males play AC.

Not only that but there is a giant loving world outside of Europe ripe for exploration. And yeah I'll be bummed if it's just another boring white male protagonist.

one taking place in ancient Sumer could be interesting

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Assassin's Creed: Victorian London is pretty much the setting I've been waiting for since the series started. Glad they're finally getting to it. Haven't picked up one of these since Brotherhood so the gameplay should at least feel fairly fresh.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Did the initiates stuff just get fixed? A patch got rolled out for synch stuff on the mobile app and i noticed that my initiates level suddenly shot up to 8 because it finally picked up that i've finished all of the other games except 4.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
Is there a goon club on Xbox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Kin posted:

Did the initiates stuff just get fixed? A patch got rolled out for synch stuff on the mobile app and i noticed that my initiates level suddenly shot up to 8 because it finally picked up that i've finished all of the other games except 4.

It's still not recognizing any of my games, so not yet.

• Locked thread