Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Guy, it says they will suspend them if arrested, but he only has a warrant out. As long as he stays out of Georgia, he's got his job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Prime Time Players will return

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Some Punk notes from Meltzer:

quote:

We were told most, but certainly not all, of the WWE talent loved some of what he said what he said. Many were not happy about him complaining about his booking when he was booked better than all but a few guys over the past three years. The feeling of guys that while he complained about putting over Rock, Undertaker and Brock Lesnar in 2013, that most of them would have loved to have been in the position to work twice with Rock, and then do Mania against Undertaker and SummerSlam with Lesnar regardless of the outcome. One major name, while seeing Punk’s side on the medical issue and some other issues , felt most of the interview was “sour grapes.”

Many felt he came off badly about complaining that he was booked against HHH at WrestleMania, noting he’d be in one of the top matches and would get ample time to promote it. McMahon in the Austin podcast said that WrestleMania wasn’t about one main event these days, although Punk’s argument to that is that the guys in the one real main event get paid far better than just about anyone else on the show. Several felt he made himself look bad in complaining about having to put over Rock, Undertaker and Lesnar. The “two sides of every story” saying was said by others, but there was also a consensus that what he said about his experience in WWE was the same as many would say, with the difference that he made more money than all but a few, and they admired his balls to say it publicly.

Another person who knows several major WWE talents said, discounting the few that will parrot whatever Punk said, his experience is that there was a feeling that Punk’s comments on Ryback were unprofessional and cheap, and that nobody bought Ryback kicked Punk as hard as he could or intentionally broke his ribs. However, there was the feeling Punk is a genius, particularly for how he handled the situation. There was a lot of hate for Colt Cabana (I really don’t see why) according to one person. Some said they felt Punk was bitter. Almost nobody had any sympathy for his injury situation, noting that every top guy on the roster that works a full schedule has a litany of injuries.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Crabs in a pot.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Also Raw viewership:

8 pm: 4.23 million viewers
9 pm: 3.95 million viewers
10 pm: 3.47 million viewers

The football game wasn't even that good to begin with

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

armoredgorilla posted:

Crabs in a pot.

Too true.

Vertical Lime posted:

Also Raw viewership:

8 pm: 4.23 million viewers
9 pm: 3.95 million viewers
10 pm: 3.47 million viewers

The football game wasn't even that good to begin with

Oof, the entire audience of Impact left during Raw.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

"How can Punk complain when he's in the number 2 slot and I'm in the number 20 slot? I would love to be number 2!"

"I wrestle with broken knees all the time and I don't go complain!"

This is ... depressing

e:

armoredgorilla posted:

Crabs in a pot.

Yeah, that.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

And that's why there will never be a wrestler's union. "That guy's complaining about nearly dying! We're all nearly dying, screw him!"

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thought this was an interesting tidbit from the section on the Austin/Vince interview:

quote:

One person who knows Shane McMahon well noted that Vince saying the departure was mutual is just not the case, saying Shane took his 50 (million he had in WWE stock) “and got the f*** out of there.”

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
I'd have a feeling they'd change their tune if they all weren't allowed to chow down on painkillers like M&Ms. Punk's lifestyle didn't allow him to ignore injuries to the degree the rest of the locker room can.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

DeathChicken posted:

And that's why there will never be a wrestler's union. "That guy's complaining about nearly dying! We're all nearly dying, screw him!"

Well yeah, their feeling is that he was near top of the card, in great programs they would love to be in, and he complained about those things. When for them it's "I'm jobbing to Kofi Kingston, and next week he's jobbing to me, this is our life for the next millenia. My back aches, my legs are torn, I spasm in my sleep. And here this guy comes along and cries about putting over The Rock, Brock Lesnar and the Undertaker."

It looks to them, like a millionaire complaining because he had to make do spending a mear $1000 on the second best food.

Now granted, they should all be sympahtetic to his injuries, but on his booking, from their perspective, He was the No.2 Babyface and wasn't happy.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Has there been anything on the Observer about the Rene Dupree article?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

It's depressing that people are too dense to see that Punk complaining about working injured wasn't a complaint about how hard his life was but a complaint about the culture in WWE the forces everyone to work hurt.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Here's a movie that should bring this forum together:

quote:

Dave Bautista is currently filming a remake of the 1989 movie “Kickboxer.” Jean-Claude Van Damme is starring, and besides Bautista, also in the cast is George St-Pierre.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
So Dave's movie career is certainly going... uhh... well??

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Big Dave rules

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dsriggs posted:

So Dave's movie career is certainly going... uhh... well??
He was in a big marvel movie and is doing James Bond next.

Dude's movie career is already going better than any other wrestler's, up to and including The Rock.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

A surprisingly good performance in a surprising summer blockbuster, a future role in a James Bond movie...Kickboxer remake. He's doing better than the Tooth Fairy was at the start of his movie career.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Kickboxer kicked rear end

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Endorph posted:

Dude's movie career is already going better than any other wrestler's, up to and including The Rock.

when he's the second highest paid actor in hollywood, then we'll say including the rock

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Endorph posted:

Rock is probably doing better but I reserve the right to change that opinion if the next Fast/Furious film tanks.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
And there's a sequel coming that'll star Batista again, so I'd say Big Dave is set for working in film.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Thauros posted:

Assuming GSP is playing JCVD I look forward to a climactic final battle where he jabs Batista for 15 minutes

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

A surprisingly good performance in a surprising summer blockbuster, a future role in a James Bond movie...Kickboxer remake. He's doing better than the Tooth Fairy was at the start of his movie career.

He's also starring in a movie with Robert De Niro.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
So Smackdown is worse than Raw or not?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Thauros posted:

i am loving down big dave is the greatest in or out of the ring

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Sramaker posted:

So Smackdown is worse than Raw or not?

Smackdown is generally the better show but it's also the one nobody watches because there is no plot advancement that isn't immediately forgotten about come the next Raw.

It's like an uppity Superstars at this point.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Onmi posted:

Well yeah, their feeling is that he was near top of the card, in great programs they would love to be in, and he complained about those things. When for them it's "I'm jobbing to Kofi Kingston, and next week he's jobbing to me, this is our life for the next millenia. My back aches, my legs are torn, I spasm in my sleep. And here this guy comes along and cries about putting over The Rock, Brock Lesnar and the Undertaker."

It looks to them, like a millionaire complaining because he had to make do spending a mear $1000 on the second best food.

Now granted, they should all be sympahtetic to his injuries, but on his booking, from their perspective, He was the No.2 Babyface and wasn't happy.

"Hmm, everybody from a bottom-card geek like me to the No. 2 guy in the company is really unhappy with how things are being run. This means the No. 2 guy is whiny baby" - wrestlers.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Gonzo McFee posted:

Smackdown is generally the better show but it's also the one nobody watches because there is no plot advancement that isn't immediately forgotten about come the next Raw.

It's like an uppity Superstars at this point.

Supposedly once it moves to Thursdays it'll advance plot again

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Smoking Crow posted:

For a month before they lose interest in it again

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah this isn't the first time in just the last few years alone they've made claims about wanting to make smackdown matter again

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Roman Reigns posted:

He's also starring in a movie with Robert De Niro.

have you seen a Robert De Niro movie lately?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Vertical Lime posted:

Some Punk notes from Meltzer:

I can see most of the guys especially lower mid card saying that kind of poo poo because they want don't want to be rocking the boat, they want to get the next big push. With the whole same mentality of "everyone performs injured gently caress that guy!", it's endemic that Punk isn't saying that poo poo to complain but to show how loving bad that work culture is.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

They genuinely believe that a different audience watches Smackdown from the one that watches Raw so probably not.

Also everyone in the WWE that's making GBS threads on Punk should read this and take it to heart.

Big Dave Meltzer posted:

Some people will interpret this as WWE = bad, others as Punk is an egomaniac, some of his facts weren’t correct, and use that to absolve WWE of anything negative. The reality is somewhere in the middle.

But on the egomaniac thing, or Punk has too high an opinion of himself, this is a fact of life that people who say these things about main event talent don’t understand. They are all like that or they wouldn’t be main event talent. If you don’t have the confidence that you are the best, you wouldn’t be main event talent. It amuses me when people read books by top stars or listen to interviews and go, “This guy is full of himself.” If they are a top guy, either they are being honest with you and are, to a degree, full of themselves, or they are putting on fake performance. Privately, there isn’t one of them who doesn’t think they are the best, some are more subtle about it than others. And as time goes on, the ones who are comfortable with it, hold back on the fakeness a lot less. Punk was not the greatest natural athlete. He did not have a look that would have gotten him a push in another era. He had tons of great matches because he was in good enough shape to do so, worked hard enough to do so, and was smart enough to understand how to do so. His promo ability is top tier on the all-time list, which is something that is a combination of hard work, practice, and ego.

If you knock him for thinking he should have had a WrestleMania main event, just remember if he wasn’t thinking that way, he’d be just a guy in prelims who would have never gotten higher than those in charge pegged him to get at first. And if that person had complained, nobody would give a rats rear end what he said, true or not. Everyone has different goals. From the outside, the idea that someone believes they succeeded or failed as a pro wrestler based on whether they got a WrestleMania main event sounds like somebody with a major problem. While there is some realness to it, it’s also in other ways a fake honor chosen largely by one guy. It’s a guy who has a great track record historically at building his company, but also has greatly lessened the overall popularity of the industry at the same time, and whose track record at knowing what top talent is in this day and age and being ahead of the curve on it is spotty at best. The reality is this is a company that wanted to fire Punk years ago, that fired Daniel Bryan twice, and would have totally botched this year’s Mania had Punk not quit. They even came close to cutting Cena, whose charisma was obvious in his first week of training school to anyone with an eye for talent. And it was a company determined to put Orton vs. Batista as last year’s Mania main event. Worrying about their judgment to define how you look at your career is ridiculous.

oatgan posted:

have you seen a Robert De Niro movie lately?

Are you knocking the Fockers?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Heath Slater that's not how you get girls to like you :smith:

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
Daniel Bryan was fired twice? I remember the one with the debut of Nexus but there was one before that too?

modern villian
May 4, 2009

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Daniel Bryan was fired twice? I remember the one with the debut of Nexus but there was one before that too?

He used to wrestle dark matches in the early 00's, maybe that's it

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

modern villian posted:

He used to wrestle dark matches in the early 00's, maybe that's it

He had a developmental contract straight out of Shawn's school in Memphis Championship Wrestling that was terminated along with a bunch of others in 2001.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Guys guys, we're all forgetting the real news here:

Meltzer posted:

WWE this past week applied for a trademark for the term Big Red, so that’s going to be part of Rowan’s new name.

So if you liked Cole saying it 500 times last Monday, you're in luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

...uh, I thought Wrigley would have that one tied up.

• Locked thread