Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Toxxupation posted:

gently caress those big whiny babies, wanting what they paid money for in a timely fashion

The documentary episodes have been released already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

The documentary episodes have been released already.

Actually that's a fair point, the doc episodes were far far better than the game and will probably remain so

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

gently caress those big whiny babies, wanting what they paid money for in a timely fashion

"Make an entire full-fledged game in under a year" is actually pretty unreasonable and not timely. Sorry! I thought we went over this already.

e: People seem to have this really strange (and also stupid) delusion that DF was working on Broken Age since before the Kickstarter. They also insist that Spacebase went through Kickstarter too, sooo

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 4, 2014

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Games take loving time, dude. If the options available right now are 'release today, it'll be a half-finished buggy piece of crap' and 'wait two months, it'll be mostly polished', I'll choose the latter.

ipaid10buxforthis
May 11, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bobulus posted:

Games take loving time, dude. If the options available right now are 'release today, it'll be a half-finished buggy piece of crap' and 'wait two months, it'll be mostly polished', I'll choose the latter.

Except it was double fine that said "we will release the game in 2012" and then delayed it to two years and split the game in half to make some sort of milestone.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ipaid10buxforthis posted:

Except it was double fine that said "we will release the game in 2012" and then delayed it to two years and split the game in half to make some sort of milestone.

They said they would deliver a $300,000 game in 2012.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
imagine defending double fine in the year of our lord 2014

lol

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Tim Schafer convinced himself after the KS success that "the adventure game is BACK, baby" and rolled the dice only to find out that everyone who liked those old adventure games was already a backer and nobody else cared.

He could have made that $300K game, pocketed the profit and most people would have been happy with a small quirky game.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Kickstarter does not (at least, it didn't in 2012) allow you to change the ship date of your product in the Kickstarter regardless of how much money it generates/what stretch goals are added. Once it goes live, whatever the page says is what it will say forever.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Eonwe posted:

lol

Don't know what to tell you. I'd love to play Act 2 today, but I'm satisfied waiting a few more months. I was quite pleased with Act 1. I feel like I've gotten my money's worth.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

monster on a stick posted:

He could have made that $300K game, pocketed the profit and most people would have been happy with a small quirky game.

I have my doubts about that.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Eonwe posted:

lol
Multiple goons who actually have jobs in the game industry have come in here and done just that.

Great Rumbler posted:

I have my doubts about that.
Considering most of the goons who apparently didn't even read the Kickstarter page, so do I.

People are pissed about the CURRENT version of Broken Age based on the profit of the Kickstarter. Do you seriously think the small example game they promised at first would fly off of that total?

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 4, 2014

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

lol

I can imagine it - and hell, I'll do it, too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Double Fine has done nothing but disappoint for the better part of a decade and will probably continue to do so in the future, Kickstarter or not. What was their last really substantial release? Psychonauts? Which totally owned, gameplay jankiness or not? Brutal Legend was a tragedy of mismanagement (Activision's fault) and everything since then has been whisper-slight and not even that funny.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Double Fine has done nothing but disappoint for the better part of a decade and will probably continue to do so in the future, Kickstarter or not. What was their last really substantial release? Psychonauts? Which totally owned, gameplay jankiness or not? Brutal Legend was a tragedy of mismanagement (Activision's fault) and everything since then has been whisper-slight and not even that funny.

They've shifted from larger releases to smaller ones but that doesn't make their work any less consistent. Really other than Spacebase there hasn't been a bad Double Fine game (though I haven't played the obscure console-only poo poo like that one rhythm game or their Sesame Street game.)

Massive Chalice is also excellent so far and I'd say it's their best game since Psychonauts, though it's obviously lighter on the humor.

vv Oh right I totally forgot about The Cave. That game sucks too, but I blame Gilbert for that one.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 4, 2014

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Psychonauts is to me still the best thing they have ever done by a long way. I need to find a way to play it through again. Wasn't that also their first release?

I still like Double Fine, and Tim, mostly due to the documentary series which is being made, but their QA has been so dodgy. The Cave had a game breaking bug in it on release, which took them a month to patch so I could even progress in the game, and the patch broke trophies and they have never fixed that. Psychonauts never came to the EU PSN store for PS3, and apparently is very buggy if you can get it.

Broken Age is a charming game, and the delays I can take as it's not like other games haven't been delayed, we just usually don't know why (at least not to this level). Splitting the game in two was necessary for them but has made a lot of people frustrated or lose interest, which I can understand.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of the studio's output of late, including the first half of Broken Age.

If I knew then what I know now, I probably wouldn't have paid into the Kickstarter. Too many delays for a kinda underwhelming product.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How do you guys possibly justify space base df9

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Eonwe posted:

Literally nobody is.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Which brings me back to my original point

Lol at anyone who defends double fine in The year of our lord 2014

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Eonwe posted:

Because if you bought it they gave you Hack'n'Slash free! And if you bought Hack'n'Slash you get DF9 free!

So you bought half a game you get another half a game giving you one full game to play!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Pirate Jet posted:

People are pissed about the CURRENT version of Broken Age based on the profit of the Kickstarter. Do you seriously think the small example game they promised at first would fly off of that total?

Is anyone pissed about the profit of BA? People are more pissed that the game still isn't done and it's taken a year (or more, we'll see) for Act 2 which was supposed to be out in summer, for a game that was supposed to be finished in when, 2013? An actual released game would have made people happier compared to what they have now.

Pirate Jet posted:

vv Oh right I totally forgot about The Cave. That game sucks too, but I blame Gilbert for that one.

Ron's a good guy, don't blame The Cave on him :colbert:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Is anyone pissed about the profit of BA? People are more pissed that the game still isn't done and it's taken a year (or more, we'll see) for Act 2 which was supposed to be out in summer, for a game that was supposed to be finished in when, 2013? An actual released game would have made people happier compared to what they have now.

It's a pretty common complaint about Broken Age that it's "not good enough to justify 2.5 million" or whatever.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Presumably you are aware of this? (Yes I am aware this is another KS for another point-and-click).

I quite liked The Cave but the massive gap in the middle whilst they fixed the game so I could finish it dampened my enthusiasm to the point I nearly didn't bother going back to it when the 1.01 patch came out.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Oxxidation posted:

Iron Brigade. The multiplayer is completely messed up on the PC because it's a Double Fine game, which sucks since it's a loving multiplayer game, but it was still a blast playing through the campaign in ridiculous mechs with weird guns. It's easily the most fun tower defense game I've played.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
edit: thought I was in the kickstarter thread. Oopps.

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
:dukedog:
Buglord

I shouldn't blame the poor quality of a game on the creator of the game?

Donnerberg posted:

Iron Brigade. The multiplayer is completely messed up on the PC because it's a Double Fine game, which sucks since it's a loving multiplayer game, but it was still a blast playing through the campaign in ridiculous mechs with weird guns. It's easily the most fun tower defense game I've played.

Iron Brigade uses GFWL for multiplayer. That deserves at least a chunk of the blame.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I don't know how anyone expected the cave to be good after the tremendously unfunny Deathspank.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ron's a hack, do blame The Cave on him.

I imagine Double Fine hasn't yet moved Iron Brigade out of GFWL because, much like Capcom learned with USF4, GFWL actually does handle matchmaking and user availability better than what they could do. USF4's online is a gigantic mess since they moved the game out of GFWL and Double Fine hasn't even worked out how to implement their own version of it.

As much (rightful) hate GFWL gets, it did a few things right.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Didn't Ron disavow and totally tear apart the 3rd Money Island game even though it was the best one (and possibly the best adventure game) because it didn't stick to his crazy ideals as to what an adventure game should be?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

shmee posted:

Presumably you are aware of this? (Yes I am aware this is another KS for another point-and-click).

I quite liked The Cave but the massive gap in the middle whilst they fixed the game so I could finish it dampened my enthusiasm to the point I nearly didn't bother going back to it when the 1.01 patch came out.

I thought the idea of the Cave was pretty sound, though I agree about the parts that were the same no matter which characters you picked. Some of the issues on release related to the game breaking you can't pin on Ron, though, that's DF. That he left DF kind of says that he wasn't very happy with what was going on there, though that is pure speculation.

Pirate Jet posted:

It's a pretty common complaint about Broken Age that it's "not good enough to justify 2.5 million" or whatever.

Is that because there isn't enough money on the screen, so to speak, or that the writing/puzzles/overall design isn't very good?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Al! posted:

Didn't Ron disavow and totally tear apart the 3rd Money Island game even though it was the best one (and possibly the best adventure game) because it didn't stick to his crazy ideals as to what an adventure game should be?

I think he even criticized 2 since he wasn't the lead on that game either. I remember reading that as well though "disavow and totally tear apart" is much stronger than what he actually said, I think.

For the record I liked The Cave. I played through it once and thought it was pretty charming. I have no intention of going back to it anytime soon, but the vitriol aimed at that thing seems misplaced. Just don't play through it multiple times if recycled content bothers you.

Deathspank was baaaaad, though.

Edit: Wait, no, Ron was the lead on MI 2, I don't know why I thought differently.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 4, 2014

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I thought the idea of the Cave was pretty sound, though I agree about the parts that were the same no matter which characters you picked. Some of the issues on release related to the game breaking you can't pin on Ron, though, that's DF. That he left DF kind of says that he wasn't very happy with what was going on there, though that is pure speculation.

Going from the documentary episodes it seems like Ron Gilbert never really worked for DoubleFine and the Cave was more about Tim throwing an old buddy who nobody else wanted to work with anymore a bone. And given the low quality of the Cave compared to DoubleFine's other releases, it's not surprising they didn't ask him back.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Al! posted:

Going from the documentary episodes it seems like Ron Gilbert never really worked for DoubleFine and the Cave was more about Tim throwing an old buddy who nobody else wanted to work with anymore a bone. And given the low quality of the Cave compared to DoubleFine's other releases, it's not surprising they didn't ask him back.

Maybe, I haven't seen the documentary. My main exposure to the man was many many years ago (I worked at Cavedog) and got the impression that people generally respected him, though I'm not sure what happened since with him leaving Humongous, Hulabee failing, etc.

Anyway that's kind of OT and I'm sorry to have brought it up. We should get back to DF/BA talk, and as negative as I've been, I am looking forward to part 2. If nothing else the art in the game is gorgeous.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!

Al! posted:

Not really from what I can find:

http://members.tripod.com/flaminot_guild/monkey_island_fanclub/id16.html

INTERVIEW WITH RON GILBERT (1998)

Q. What about LucasArts new games, and especially The Curse of Monkey Island?

A. Monkey 3 was pretty good, although I was afraid of the worst. The biggest mistake was that Elaine fell in love with Guybrush. That's something she never would have done.

Also, this:

A. I would really like to do a straight adventure game. After doing Good & Evil I may find elements that really make me want to write another adventure game. I hope Grim Fandango does well and kick-starts the genre.

:sigh:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Eonwe posted:

I don't buy steam early access games?

E: I don't really care if the game was delayed or not. I really liked act 1 and honestly the better polished act 2 will be the better. I'm not a fan of telltales games much because they seem really buggy and rushed. TWD season 1 was like lightning in a bottle they are still trying to produce but it just isn't working for them in my opinion. A wolf among us was kinda just there, walking dead season 2 seemed a little interested but had some bad episodes. Really don't give a poo poo about a borderlands game or the game of thrones game either.

Also iron brigade aka trenched rip was so much fun on 360, it's a shame that they never took out the GFWL. gently caress man it was so good

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 4, 2014

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Brutal Legend was a tragedy of mismanagement (Activision's fault)
How is it Activision's fault?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I don't buy steam early access games?

what does that have to do with double fine being a shitlord developer that just slapped a 1.0 on a clearly unfinished game

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doggboat posted:

because for some reason people think that the developers are the bad guys despite the fact that early access/kickstarter has shown that they are pretty necessary because developers will just blow through money and give you half a game and then call it a day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Doggboat posted:

Activision hosed with the development of Brutal Legend tremendously, to the point of trying to turn it into a Guitar Hero spin-off while they were the publisher and then suing EA and Double Fine after Activision dropped it and EA saved it from cancellation. The suit pretty much forced all of the top devs of DF to spend time in court instead of working on the game for several months, which hosed with the development schedule royally. It's a shame, too, since Brutal Legend was a good game that could have been one of the all-time greats if they'd had enough time to iron out the gameplay issues.

• Locked thread