Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

RodShaft posted:

Thanks, guys. I plan on pulling audio right off the chip for stereo, so I only need +5 and ground.

The biggest snag I have at the moment is I was going to wire my xarcade stick for neo geo use without losing it's function on other systems. It has grouped buttons on separate grounds and Neo Geo/arcade has a common ground. I'm just worried it will kill functionality if I combine them.

What other systems does it work with? Toodles makes a board to convert Saturn, SNES, and PS2 controls to Jamma standard

http://www.godlikecontrols.com/ (FGW converter, towards the bottom. NOT the FGW LED Converter)
http://www.godlikecontrols.com/download/converterwelcome2.pdf

Basically you wire up an extension cable like shown in the pdf and it becomes the input.

Alternatives include buying an AES controller, or well, there are a million different mods you could do to that tank stick to make it common ground and have functionality for multiple consoles.

Oh and if you don't want to wire directly from your Jamma Harness to the stick you can always get some of these

http://www.winfordeng.com/products/brksd15.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The post office lost my package. My package was an EZ Flash IV from RealHotStuff. What are the odds they'll send me another one and I'm not just out forty bucks?

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006
^^^ GOTTA BUY EM' ALL! (at least one for the format)

JJJJJS posted:

I always recommend the FZ-10 unless you just have to have the aesthetics of the FZ-1. There's no motorized disk tray and it has an internal memory manager plus 100% game compatibility.

The FZ-1 is a good choice but as mentioned earlier the lack of an internal memory manager hurts it and I'm personally not a fan of motorized disk trays. I've fixed so many of them that I'm kind of sick of dealing with disk trays.

The Goldstar is the comedy option. It's typically more expensive, some games don't work properly, the entire disk tray, motor and laser assembly are one piece that slides out and is attached to the main board by a cable that loves to wiggle loose over time and the laser is the same one that's used in a CDX which is near impossible to get a replacement for in the wild.

I've got a Goldstar, an FZ-1 and 2 FZ-10 decks. The FZ-10 consoles are the only ones that I've not had to open up at some point.

FZ-10 it is! Sounds like the least amount of work.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Nativity In Black posted:

What other systems does it work with? Toodles makes a board to convert Saturn, SNES, and PS2 controls to Jamma standard

http://www.godlikecontrols.com/ (FGW converter, towards the bottom. NOT the FGW LED Converter)
http://www.godlikecontrols.com/download/converterwelcome2.pdf

Basically you wire up an extension cable like shown in the pdf and it becomes the input.

Alternatives include buying an AES controller, or well, there are a million different mods you could do to that tank stick to make it common ground and have functionality for multiple consoles.

Oh and if you don't want to wire directly from your Jamma Harness to the stick you can always get some of these

http://www.winfordeng.com/products/brksd15.php

That's awesome, but being as that'd be 40 bux for 2 controllers(which that and lag is why I was avoiding regular ps2-Neo Geo adapters. Well that and the terrible button lay out, but this fixes that), I think I'm going to try to figure out a single switch to combine the half dozen grounds or at least one per controller.

I already ordered my db15 connectors and cords.

Also,I was too excited to win an auction for so cheap, and didn't realize I won the mv1b not the mv1c. It came today(2 days early! So tomorrow I'll start on it.

Any info on just pulling the audio from the chip like I've seen on the mv1c? I don't want to hook up 12v and I'd rather not build a li'l circuit if I don't have to.

There's way less info out there on the 1b's.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Literally The Worst posted:

The post office lost my package. My package was an EZ Flash IV from RealHotStuff. What are the odds they'll send me another one and I'm not just out forty bucks?

If it went out priority then it's automatically ensured for 50$.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

RodShaft posted:

That's awesome, but being as that'd be 40 bux for 2 controllers(which that and lag is why I was avoiding regular ps2-Neo Geo adapters. Well that and the terrible button lay out, but this fixes that), I think I'm going to try to figure out a single switch to combine the half dozen grounds or at least one per controller.

I already ordered my db15 connectors and cords.

Also,I was too excited to win an auction for so cheap, and didn't realize I won the mv1b not the mv1c. It came today(2 days early! So tomorrow I'll start on it.

Any info on just pulling the audio from the chip like I've seen on the mv1c? I don't want to hook up 12v and I'd rather not build a li'l circuit if I don't have to.

There's way less info out there on the 1b's.

http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/tutorials.html

MV1B +5V only mod

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sizone posted:

If it went out priority then it's automatically ensured for 50$.

It did not.

I'm mostly just hoping they aren't going to tell me to piss up a rope about it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Speaking of things that are kinda like Neo Geo:

Tomorrow is set to be a Very Special Day.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

d0s posted:

cheeky comment

Have fun missing out on the best Road Rash.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

My god, you're sexy.

That site shits the bed on my phone so I'll check it on the laptop after the kid goes to bed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

Have fun missing out on the best Road Rash.

I think you can assume that he has a PC.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

I think you can assume that he has a PC.

Yeah, or he could just emulate it. It's p-much the same.

Edit: I was joking, but speaking of emulating, how is the 3DS for retro gaming? Is there a flash cart that works well yet? A buddy offered me the smash bros one with 2 games for a hundie.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 5, 2014

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Every time this thread starts hating on the N64 I'm going to quote you all telling people to buy a 3DO :twisted:

I'm pretty ambivalent on the n64 too but goddamn the 3DO is Real Bad yall

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I still maintain the ideal 3DO is the Creative 3DO Blaster mounted in a 486 or Pentium PC for easy switching to old PC games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McCracAttack posted:

So, one thing led to another and now I have a copy of Persona 4 on the way for PS2. I barely even know what this game is about other than Japanese high schoolers and summoning stands or something. Pretty sure it's an RPG. I just feel like I should know a bit more about this series because it keeps popping up here and there.

Any advice on how best to enjoy?

Oh, you are in for a treat, Persona 4's one of my favourites :allears:.

Here's some basic advice, some of it's assuming you haven't played an SMT game before though;

• There's no penalty to waiting on how long you go until you go save someone. Even if you save someone on the first day, you'll just get intermittent conversations about them "resting", instead of your friends saying "hey, we should go try to save them this afternoon".
  • If you somehow manage to utterly tank the entire time it takes to rescue someone, Igor will toss you a mulligan and send you back a week in time.
  • Fuse often, fuse now. Get your S.Links up for EXP bonuses, and fuse any Personas that don't have any further skills to learn (denoted by the "?" on their stat page down the bottom).
  • Save Sundays for when the S.Links that occur on them. There's only, I think, maybe two of them, but they're generally good arcanas to Rank-Up in.
  • You're not going to do a perfect run of all the S.Links, so don't bother trying. Just do the ones that interest you. Kanji's is pretty good.
  • Learn elemental weaknesses and abuse the poo poo out of them for Press-Turns. Shadows will most definitely be doing the same to you, and it's fun as hell inflicting All-Out Attacks if you can knock a whole group on their asses :allears:.
  • Get some Personas with Dekunda and Dekaja and make sure you always have those skills. Enemies and bosses sometimes have stat buff skills (the -kaja ones) to buff their Attack, Defense or Speed, and you really need to be able to crush that ASAP. Dekunda is also vital because it wipes the respective debuff skills off of your Party.
  • Don't join the Music Club, the S.Link for it sucks.
  • Use your Rainy Days to either study (go talk to your classmate S.Links, there's almost certain to be one that'll study with you for a bonus to their S.Link), or go take on the Beef Bowl Challenge at the chinese restaurant. It'll buff all five social stats.
  • Nanako and Dojima's S.Links require a lot of Understanding, so work on that when you can. You don't actually get that many chances to do theirs (Sometimes they're watching TV or reading a newspaper instead of being available).
  • Check the fridge in your house every night. Sometimes you get the opportunity to improve your Courage (always pick yes), and sometimes you can prepare lunch for the following day. Making a decent lunch means whoever you share it with gets a big boost to their S.Link.
  • This last one's pretty obvious but; Don't ever end a day by going straight home. There's always something to do.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Nintendo Kid posted:

I still maintain the ideal 3DO is the Creative 3DO Blaster mounted in a 486 or Pentium PC for easy switching to old PC games.

It was an ISA card. I wonder if you could get it to work on one of these mobos:

http://www.amazon.com/MB-P4BWA-Industrial-Motherboard-ISA-Slots/dp/B004HLOQH6

(Probably not)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Last when you get really tired of the game and quit playing just watch this video and laugh instead (spoilers ahoy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7lj9qI8VFc

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lowen SoDium posted:

(Probably not)

The main issue it would have on there is that if I remember right the associated software only works on Windows 3.x and 9x, and all of those will have issues on that motherboard since it seems to exclusively use multicore CPUs and SATA drives.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

(Probably not)

Theoretically you could. Any processor you install into it should understand the same instruction set. It would be an absurd level over overkill to have that whole set up just to run DOS 6.22. You could not use the onboard sound for it, you'd have to install a Sound Blaster as well, but there's two ISA slots. Creative used a solution that they did with a lot of specialized hardware at the time and had a VGA pass through for it (I used to have a DVD-ROM drive from them that had this same feature). And you'd have to get the compatible CD-ROM drive. It's a lot of headache for this thing.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
You could perhaps use a P4 Cedar Mill in that board if Win98 refuses to even boot on a dual core. It wouldn't be the oddest computer part pairing in history, though, that probably goes to this guy with an i7 and an overclocked 3dfx Voodoo5 6000. For less than half the performance of the integrated graphics on the CPU, even.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Oh yay people are talking about Persona 4 and I can gush about it somewhere. Playing through it on my Vita and oh my god this game. Persona 3 was one of the best JRPGs I've ever played, and I thought nothing would beat it, but somehow P4 is beating it in almost every way. The music, the cast, the writing, the everything, oh my god GOTY forever. P3 had some really amazing s-link stories but I think I'm enjoying P4's as much if not more.

I just got to the "drunk" scene at the club when you get to Port Island and that was hilarious. :v: Going back to Port Island didn't even register with me until I heard "Gekkoukan High" and remembered who Chihiro was, at that point my mind was blown. I can't wait to see where this leads.

I basically bought a Vita for P4, and I couldn't possibly be happier. I feel towards it basically the same as I do towards Yakuza 3 and 4 - 3 was my favorite game on the PS3 hands down, until I played 4, and it blew 3 completely out of the water.

e. My only problem with 4 is the same as my only problem with 3 - the dumb, dumb mechanic of "protagonist dies, instant game over" despite others having revival skills/items. I held out hope in P3 that it was plot-driven - like maybe the entire world was happening in the protagonist's head, or his life was somehow tied to the world in some way that him dying would really mean the end of it all, but nope. I don't imagine it's any different in P4, but we'll see I guess.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 5, 2014

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how Ridge Racer 4 has held up? I'm waffling over picking it up on PSN, but I'm unsure if it's become a product of its time or if it's still a fun jaunt for an arcade racer.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I decided to just suck it up and buy another flashcart. If the mail turns mine up, I'll return it and get my money back. If not, gently caress it, I have a flash cart.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Code Jockey posted:

Oh yay people are talking about Persona 4 and I can gush about it somewhere. Playing through it on my Vita and oh my god this game. Persona 3 was one of the best JRPGs I've ever played, and I thought nothing would beat it, but somehow P4 is beating it in almost every way. The music, the cast, the writing, the everything, oh my god GOTY forever. P3 had some really amazing s-link stories but I think I'm enjoying P4's as much if not more.

I just got to the "drunk" scene at the club when you get to Port Island and that was hilarious. :v: Going back to Port Island didn't even register with me until I heard "Gekkoukan High" and remembered who Chihiro was, at that point my mind was blown. I can't wait to see where this leads.

I basically bought a Vita for P4, and I couldn't possibly be happier. I feel towards it basically the same as I do towards Yakuza 3 and 4 - 3 was my favorite game on the PS3 hands down, until I played 4, and it blew 3 completely out of the water.

e. My only problem with 4 is the same as my only problem with 3 - the dumb, dumb mechanic of "protagonist dies, instant game over" despite others having revival skills/items. I held out hope in P3 that it was plot-driven - like maybe the entire world was happening in the protagonist's head, or his life was somehow tied to the world in some way that him dying would really mean the end of it all, but nope. I don't imagine it's any different in P4, but we'll see I guess.

I am also currently playing through P4 for the first time on a vita TV I just bought. I intentionally put it off for golden and yeah it owns. The protag death thing isn't too bad since you can always just retry from the same floor. I believe the newgame+ options let you disable it also.

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

A friend has been playing Pokemon Gold on her Super Game Boy 2 and I decided to grab Crystal, which I am playing on a GBA SP. Does anyone know if there is such a link cable that would allow us to trade/battle on the systems we are using now?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

A friend has been playing Pokemon Gold on her Super Game Boy 2 and I decided to grab Crystal, which I am playing on a GBA SP. Does anyone know if there is such a link cable that would allow us to trade/battle on the systems we are using now?

All you need is a standard Game Boy Pocket/Color link cable, as that's the size port used in the Super Game Boy 2 and it also directly fits in a GBA or GBA SP (but you can't use them for GBA only games).

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Agrias120 posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on how Ridge Racer 4 has held up? I'm waffling over picking it up on PSN, but I'm unsure if it's become a product of its time or if it's still a fun jaunt for an arcade racer.

It's The Best Ridge Racer

e: get it for the music alone, it has one of the best soundtracks in any video game

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The Toro finally showed up from Turkey!

Ordered 10/28, received 12/3. :stare:

Now I have a shift of work to do before I can hook this thing up. :negative:

Looking forward to your impressions of this.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

RE: GBA Castlevanias

Literally The Worst posted:

I had heard they were far inferior to Aria.

Circle of the Moon was honestly really nice, and my favorite of the bunch. I really dug how it eschewed the flatter levels other CVs had been trending towards and had a lot of vertical exploration as well.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Midnight Raider posted:

Circle of the Moon was honestly really nice, and my favorite of the bunch. I really dug how it eschewed the flatter levels other CVs had been trending towards and had a lot of vertical exploration as well.
The GBA Castlevanias are great because they all play somewhat differently and are all very good in their own way. While they all have some shortcomings (CoM was really, really dark on the original hardware, HoD has some pretty uninspired music, etc.) I think that each one is easily worth playing through today. Taken as a set, I like them better than the DS games only because I feel like each one stands out from the others more than the DS games, which are kind of "same-y" to me.

d0s posted:

e: get it for the music alone, it has one of the best soundtracks in any video game

Awesome--that's good to hear. I love Ridge Racer games, but I never ended up playing 4 and I've always wondered about it. I'll definitely snag it now.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I disagree about HoD's music being uninspired, and also with the common complaint about the audio quality. It's got a really unique lo-fi fuzzy chiptune thing going on that I love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG5EzU2EZ5o

I'll never not love this song.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Heran Bago posted:

Looking forward to your impressions of this.

Gonna try for tonight. I got home late last night. Plus I need to find my SCART cable that I set aside for this. :negative:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

d0s posted:

Yeah, Ridge Racer Type 4 is an excellent game with an excellent soundtrack. Probably the best PlayStation arcade racer, though still not as good as Rush on N64.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

IT LIVES!

kinda...

I'm assuming the green tint(it's not nearly as bad as the picture mashed it look) is due to my crazy messed up way I rigged it up for testing.

I found an old Molex ac adaptor for an external hd, that runs 2a to both 12v and 5v so I'm just gonna use that and not worry about stereo modding it yet.

Tomorrow I hit up radioshack for an option for my xarcade grounding issue.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

RodShaft posted:

Tomorrow I hit up radioshack for an option for my xarcade grounding issue.

But then the problem arises: you're still using an Xarcade.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

is that your kitchen table

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

El Estrago Bonito posted:

But then the problem arises: you're still using an Xarcade.

Meh. It's pennies to make it compatible. I got a double tank stick for 30 bux ages ago with the intention of swapping out the sticks(the main complaint I've heard about them) or just using the board for another project. It's day till now. If you have another cost effective way to hook up controls, I'm all ears, but this is my best option at present.

Edit:

d0s posted:

is that your kitchen table

Nope. Corner table in my garage. It's the only space I have for projects since we moved. Once we get a house I'll have an entire room again(or a pole building).

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 6, 2014

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

RodShaft posted:

Meh. It's pennies to make it compatible. I got a double tank stick for 30 bux ages ago with the intention of swapping out the sticks(the main complaint I've heard about them) or just using the board for another project. It's day till now. If you have another cost effective way to hook up controls, I'm all ears, but this is my best option at present.

Edit:

Nope. Corner table in my garage. It's the only space I have for projects since we moved. Once we get a house I'll have an entire room again(or a pole building).

If you have one of the good ones you're fine, they just have bad quality control so a lot of the PCBs have shipped with significant lag. Also the components are pretty awful all really cheap IL/Happ knockoff poo poo, that I would replace as soon as you can with actual IL parts.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If you have one of the good ones you're fine, they just have bad quality control so a lot of the PCBs have shipped with significant lag. Also the components are pretty awful all really cheap IL/Happ knockoff poo poo, that I would replace as soon as you can with actual IL parts.

It looked significantly nicer when I cracked it open then the pictures I've seen online. But I won't know jack till I give it a go.

Edit: it has 4/8 way adapter things which I didn't see in pictures, and extra shielding at the quick connects. Nothing special. But like I said, it could be poo poo when I try it out, but for under a dollar in parts and some time I feel it's worth the risk.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

This is probably the best end to a week I could ask for.

• Locked thread