Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

seaborgium posted:

I was trying to figure that out, was there a time skip in that bit? There must have been a couple hours where he just tried talking to him, as I doubt even a skilled torturer could have gotten anything in just a few minutes.
Yeah I'm gonna assume there was a time skip (really odd because the first scene was also at night, would've worked better if it were day), because otherwise it would be hilarious if Waller gave Oliver literally 5 minutes to interrogate him. He must've sat around contemplating poo poo before even getting started, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Waller's team planted the bomb and let it go off in order to teach Oliver a lesson. She's playing a very long game - what's a few dead Hong Kong kids next to forging someone of Oliver's talent?

I don't necessarily think she has any illusions about turning Oliver into her own agent - but she recognizes his innate talent and probably wants her hooks into someone like that.

Amanda Waller, in nearly every incarnation, is the ultimate exemplar of "Ends Justify the Means"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

TyrantWD posted:

It seems like everyone has forgotten about what kind of person Waller is. The bulk of the season one flashbacks was Oliver, under the guidance of Yao Fei and later Slade, taking out one of Waller's operations led by Fyers. Waller has been monitoring the island for a long time, and seeing what Oliver did as an amateur, it's a good bet that he could be weaponized and turned into the greatest super agent she has ever come across. Considering that Waller also has the Suicide Squad, she clearly knows that she has an eye for those with a talent for violence.

This is a woman who was prepared to shoot down a Chinese passenger plane to kill one person. Letting a few more non-Americans die while she develops her super weapon is an easily acceptable cost of business for her. Stopping the bombing, killing that guy in the market - accomplishing any of that is just a bonus on the path to forging her very own super agent.
There is a difference between being ruthless and being harebrained. Of course Waller doesn't bat an eye at casualties, but she's not some sort of archvillain caricature that just throws whatever resources she has every which way without a care for how things might end up. If she was, she wouldn't have her job. Or, she shouldn't, because that would be incredibly stupid, like, "Hey I'm just gonna go about getting what I want in the most tedious and least promising method imaginable, and who cares if this doesn't actually end up working!" Waller is a fictional character; she doesn't "clearly" have an eye for anything beyond what the writers write her having an eye for...and in this case, the way that they're writing her "eye" is incredibly implausible.

There is absolutely no rational argument you can make for an untrained civilian celebrity being as much of an asset -- much less a better asset -- to Waller as trained operatives that she already has under her command who can already do literally everything she wants Oliver to do, and do it better. There is no logical explanation for why Oliver might be prime agent material in ways that someone like Maseo or Tatsu can't be with infinitely less effort and risk. If she's genuinely trying to get Oliver to become her super soldier, everything about this situation and storyline is forced nonsense.

If there's another, more sensible explanation for why Waller's trying so hard to turn Ollie into her weapon, hey, I'd be all ears, if not for the fact that we're eight episodes into the season and no such explanation has been revealed. Maybe it does have to do with the Bratva, but the show hasn't so much as hinted at something like that and has instead been steering the plot towards China White, god knows why. And for a show that's usually known to be so fast-paced and efficient with its storylines, this sort of uncharacteristic toe-dragging drivel is really frustrating, and it's just one of several such frustrating plotlines of the season.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Not exactly surprising given the crossover, but Arrow hit a new series high with a 1.4 demo rating last night.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Lyla's face when she see's Barry is just great, even better then Diggle face as he was kind of prepared for it. Argus is going to wreak Barry's poo poo.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Maybe. But The Flash has its own busybody military spook in Wade Eiling so they may keep Waller/ARGUS confined to Arrow. It was sort of weird how despite the ARGUS-heavy plot, Waller was only seen in the flashbacks.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Waller's a busy woman, she can't be hanging around Starling all the time. All those war crimes aren't going to commit themselves.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I really want Waller to scare the poo poo out of Barry. He needs it. And what's the point of having a sprawling shadowy spy organization if they're not going to try and control a dude who runs super fast?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was nuts.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Boogaleeboo posted:

Do you even remember who is on that team? A mercenary, a thug, a political bomber, loving Harley Quinn, ...

I missed this. How was it introduced that Harley Quinn is on the suicide squad?

And I don't remember if it was the arrow of flash episode where the doc is comparing batman to Ollie.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

M_Gargantua posted:

I missed this. How was it introduced that Harley Quinn is on the suicide squad?

And I don't remember if it was the arrow of flash episode where the doc is comparing batman to Ollie.

It was an easter egg.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

hcreight posted:

Maybe. But The Flash has its own busybody military spook in Wade Eiling so they may keep Waller/ARGUS confined to Arrow. It was sort of weird how despite the ARGUS-heavy plot, Waller was only seen in the flashbacks.

Yeah I think that they will confine ARGUS to Arrow - ARGUS has the potential to be a bit dark for Flash. That made the crossover interesting though, seeing the contrast of the two heroes world. I'm not sure how Barry would react if he was faced with something horrific like Slade's mindgames from last season.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

quote:

I'm not sure how Barry would react if he was faced with something horrific like Slade's mindgames from last season.

...now I really want to see that.

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

imperialparadox posted:

I'm not sure how Barry would react if he was faced with something horrific like Slade's mindgames from last season.

Good question, how would Barry react if his mother was stabbed by some bizarre supervillain?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Pinwiz11 posted:

...now I really want to see that.

That would be amazing. Slade just spending half a season trolling Barry then reenacting that scene with Laurel except with Iris instead.

"Barry Allen is the Flash. Also, nobody reads your dumb blog. DEATHSTROKE AWAY "

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Well it's been established that a LOT of people were hammering F5 of their google search for "The Flash Aggregate Blog" because within seconds of her dubbing him The Flash her view counter went through the roof so Slade will have to settle for saran-wrapping all the lavatories at STAR labs or something.

e: oh right, Arrow thread.

The flashbacks have been really bad so far this season, they just feel disjointed and pointless. Sure, Waller is more vinegar than honey but surely she could come up with a proper way to motivate Ollie. Instead of Wallers aim being to use Ollie to infiltrate the Bratva I'll guess the Bratva is how he finally gets away from Waller, most likely after finding out she did the bombing to teach him a lesson. I just hope they don't make it too stupid.

This season needs more progress, we're nearly halfway in and we have no real idea who the villain is supposed to be. The DNA thing should lead somewhere after all this setup and I doubt they have Ra's al Ghuls DNA on file. He probably would have done something about that if they did?

Martout fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 4, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

BrianWilly posted:

There is absolutely no rational argument you can make for an untrained civilian celebrity being as much of an asset -- much less a better asset -- to Waller as trained operatives that she already has under her command who can already do literally everything she wants Oliver to do, and do it better.

You realize that you are watching a show whose entire premise is that Oliver, as the Arrow, is a superhero who can outfight pretty much any government trained operative, right? You need to let go of your tactical realism. You're not watching Tom Clancy or whatever bullshit.

Oliver is going to be a better operative than pretty much anyone else, regardless of whether you think that's dumb because of his background. You keep talking about Waller "risking" something, but so far you haven't put your money where your mouth is. China is a total playground for her. She could care less about any civilian casualties there if the end result is her own personal James Bond.

Sure, there's no way she could know for sure that Oliver would turn out well, but there's very little risk other than the couple hours a week she spends herself on the project, so she may as well try to develop him.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Someone else has already pointed this out, but Oliver is already well-trained by the time he left the island. Two years of training by Yao Fei and his daughter, plus Slade "motherfuckin Deathstroke" Wilson?

Waller doesn't want him as just another trainable agent. Her agenda reaches far beyond that - to the point where I think she planned and WANTED Oliver Queen to don the hood and start murdering criminals in Starling.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Bad Moon posted:

That would be amazing. Slade just spending half a season trolling Barry then reenacting that scene with Laurel except with Iris instead.

"Barry Allen is the Flash. Also, nobody reads your dumb blog. DEATHSTROKE AWAY "

Please.

Deathstroke would just trip him.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Narcissus1916 posted:

Someone else has already pointed this out, but Oliver is already well-trained by the time he left the island. Two years of training by Yao Fei and his daughter, plus Slade "motherfuckin Deathstroke" Wilson?

Waller doesn't want him as just another trainable agent. Her agenda reaches far beyond that - to the point where I think she planned and WANTED Oliver Queen to don the hood and start murdering criminals in Starling.

Oliver is also the son and heir of a wealthy tech CEO who's company is developing some sort of superweapons and who is part of a conspiracy with a rogue international assassin. Even if Oliver had no combat anything he'd still be an asset to her.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Zombie Tsunami posted:

Good question, how would Barry react if his mother was stabbed by some bizarre supervillain?

Yeah but that happening to him in the past as a kid is different then a Slade reign-of-terror happening to him now, as an adult, with superpowers, in the present.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Please.

Deathstroke would just trip him.

In the dead of night Slade breaks into Star labs, sneaks past a sleeping Wells and ties the shoelaces of Barry's suit together.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Bruceski posted:

In the dead of night Slade breaks into Star labs, sneaks past a sleeping Wells and ties the shoelaces of Barry's suit together.

That reminds me of something that's been bugging me. Where do these people sleep? Do they have cots at Star Labs like Oliver in the Arrow Cave?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Bruceski posted:

"Situational awareness, Barry!"

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

boom boom boom posted:

That reminds me of something that's been bugging me. Where do these people sleep? Do they have cots at Star Labs like Oliver in the Arrow Cave?

I'm pretty sure they don't actually live there.

...Well, maybe Wells does. Caitlin and Cisco probably don't, though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

King of Solomon posted:

I'm pretty sure they don't actually live there.

...Well, maybe Wells does. Caitlin and Cisco probably don't, though.

Yeah, I assume that they, like Felicity, have an apartment that is rarely mentioned except when its a useful place for a kidnapping to occur

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

imperialparadox posted:

Yeah but that happening to him in the past as a kid is different then a Slade reign-of-terror happening to him now, as an adult, with superpowers, in the present.

Yes, and Barry definitely won't witness it in the present, as an adult, with superpowers, because there is no way there were two blurs in that room where his mother died. (I'm just giving you a hard time.)

Bruceski posted:

Slade finds Wells's future computer room and replaces the Gideon interface with a talking goatse. He also switches the language to Portuguese.

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)
That was a great episode of Arrow, and a drat good episode of TV.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Azhais posted:

Yeah, I assume that they, like Felicity, have an apartment that is rarely mentioned except when its a useful place for a kidnapping to occur

Barry: Where’s Cisco?

Wells: Oh, who knows. I don’t even know where he lives.

Joe: He doesn’t live at Star Labs?

Caitlin: I’ve always pictured him in a lighthouse…

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

boom boom boom posted:

Barry: Where’s Cisco?

Wells: Oh, who knows. I don’t even know where he lives.

Joe: He doesn’t live at Star Labs?

Caitlin: I’ve always pictured him in a lighthouse…

Nah man, he lives in the particle accelerator now, right where he can feel the vibrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I don't think Barry lived with Joe and Iris before he was struck by lightning, so it stands to reason that he still lives in whatever apartment he lived in a year ago.

Though he may have gotten evicted, now that I think about it.

Actually, wasn't there a clip of him waking up and getting dressed in his apartment a couple of episodes back?

Edit: wow, this crossover crossed my wires. I totally thought this was the Flash thread.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Azhais posted:

Caitlin's will appear when Ronnie shows up and sets fire to it, or turns her couch into asbestos or something.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

With the Flash around, the Arrow seems kinda pointless. From this episode, it seems like Barry could just dash in before breakfast and take care of everything, then be back before his coffee's ready.

I guess that's a traditional problem with superhero stories, but still, this episode really threw the contrast up.

EDIT: There was also the problem of treating torture like a real, functional way of getting information, but I guess that's just tv tradition.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

a foolish pianist posted:

With the Flash around, the Arrow seems kinda pointless. From this episode, it seems like Barry could just dash in before breakfast and take care of everything, then be back before his coffee's ready.

I guess that's a traditional problem with superhero stories, but still, this episode really threw the contrast up.

EDIT: There was also the problem of treating torture like a real, functional way of getting information, but I guess that's just tv tradition.

They didn't do the second thing though. Torture specifically got him false information that distracted his team and allowed his friends to be ambushed, and they were pretty explicit about that, what with him saying it was his fault for torturing.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Uhhh there are probably lots of criminals in the real world who will give up useful information if you torture them.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

greatn posted:

They didn't do the second thing though. Torture specifically got him false information that distracted his team and allowed his friends to be ambushed, and they were pretty explicit about that, what with him saying it was his fault for torturing.

That's true. I guess I was thinking of the flashback bits when I wrote that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

That's true. I guess I was thinking of the flashback bits when I wrote that.

Yeah, the one claiming torture was the way was Waller. Waller is Not A Good Person.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I just watched Assault on Arkham cause Captain Boomerang was in it. Amazing cartoon but the experience was marred because it reminded me that we don't have CCH Pounder playing Amanda Waller in Arrow. :mad:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TheChad posted:

I just watched Assault on Arkham cause Captain Boomerang was in it. Amazing cartoon but the experience was marred because it reminded me that we don't have CCH Pounder playing Amanda Waller in Arrow. :mad:

Might have Oprah Winfrey or Octavia Spencer in the DC cinematic universe iteration playing Waller though :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

teagone posted:

Might have Oprah Winfrey or Octavia Spencer in the DC cinematic universe iteration playing Waller though :getin:

bleh

• Locked thread