Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Nalesh posted:

I mean like, a ranged attack that used banelings, like a spud gun :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF9bSqlLCCo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:fap:
Now, does it work with spine crawlers too?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
So soothing. Die void rays, die!

One of Husky's imba league maps caused queens to fire the equivalent of baneling pairs (All units exploded on death like banelings, and due to a quirk queen projectiles were units that weren't counted as actual units, so when they despawned they would explode like banelings. IIRC the example game basically became the zerg going mass queen and slaughtering everyone else.)

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

CrazySalamander posted:

So soothing. Die void rays, die!

One of Husky's imba league maps caused queens to fire the equivalent of baneling pairs (All units exploded on death like banelings, and due to a quirk queen projectiles were units that weren't counted as actual units, so when they despawned they would explode like banelings. IIRC the example game basically became the zerg going mass queen and slaughtering everyone else.)

Except that mass queen pushes were a thing! Like, 3 years ago before they reduced Queen/Spine Crawlers movement off creep. Well, nerfed it more.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Brainbread posted:

Except that mass queen pushes were a thing! Like, 3 years ago before they reduced Queen/Spine Crawlers movement off creep. Well, nerfed it more.

Since when have queens moved at a decent pace off creep?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Star Man posted:

Since when have queens moved at a decent pace off creep?

Like, in the Beta! Looked it up. Patch 9, which was in the Beta in 2010. Still. Was fun while it lasted. (They went from 1.5 to 0.95 or so off creep).

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Brainbread posted:

Like, in the Beta! Looked it up. Patch 9, which was in the Beta in 2010. Still. Was fun while it lasted. (They went from 1.5 to 0.95 or so off creep).

It's worth mentioning that the attack range for queens was substantially increased from 3 to 5 in 2012.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Synastren posted:

It's worth mentioning that the attack range for queens was substantially increased from 3 to 5 in 2012.

Reminds me of the Roach range change from 3 to 4. Suddenly they could attack Protoss Wall-offs from outside the range of a cannon, when placed directly behind it. "Well poo poo" was the collective response from Protoss players. It was painful to watch prior to it though.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Queens were always my favored defensive anti-air. I haven't kept up with the meta since HotS came out though. The change really hit me hard because.I didn't know how to use and deal with the new units.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
:siren:Bonus Update:siren:

The next protoss mission will be up tomorrow, but first a look into what could have been...

Source Video (No Commentary)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Voodoo doll? Seriously?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The only thing good about siding with Nova is that voodoo doll and what happens when he uses it.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
If you keep looking at the ghost equipment in the armory for a while, you'll see that Nova is now stowing away on the Hyperion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVqfg8HQbI
Trusting the Dominion assassin obviously turns out to be a very good idea (though this doesn't actually lead to anything).

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

maybe Nova DOES have as high a killcount, but we'll never know because Ghost was cancelled :v:

I'll show myself out

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

my dad posted:

Voodoo doll? Seriously?

Just think of it as a way to focus his psi powers easily.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I think ghosts are much MUCH more useful than specters. you have a ton of anti-large unit units. Ghosts can 2 shot zerglings and marines. If memory serves me correctly, with the upgrade they get a range of 10 outside a bunker and a range of 12 inside a bunker.
My only complaint about ghosts is they take up TWO slots inside a bunker and drop ship, same as medics. I don't see why they nerfed them so, and when I asked them in the testing game, I never got an answer to why.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 5, 2014

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Aces High posted:

maybe Nova DOES have as high a killcount, but we'll never know because Ghost was cancelled :v:

I'll show myself out

She is in Heroes of the Storm and is really good in that, you can also get her a roller derby outfit. :3:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Why are you putting ghosts in bunkers?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Star Man posted:

So they don't die horribly. Also they have very very good range.

SugarAddict posted:

I think ghosts are much MUCH more useful than specters. you have a ton of anti-large unit units. Ghosts can 2 shot zerglings and marines. If memory serves me correctly, with the upgrade they get a range of 10 outside a bunker and a range of 12 inside a bunker.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 5, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Star Man posted:

My guess is to take advantage of their range upgrades and be full-fledged snipers.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also so you don't have to leave them around stealthed/watch them like a hawk while you're doing other stuff.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I must have been distracted by the abilities to cloak, take out other spell casters, erase shields, and drop nukes instead of the things about a ghost that marines are way better at.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Wait, which is the canon choice?

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
:siren:Update:siren:

Source Video (No Commentary)

Voting:

Mission

Cutthroat
3 Protoss Research
120,000 Credits
New unit: Vulture

The Moebius Factor
3 Zerg Research
120,000 Credits
New Unit: Medivac

Safe Haven
-Protect The Colony
3 Zerg Research
-Purify the Colony
3 Protoss Research
125,000 Credits
New unit: Viking

Voting will end Tuesday December 9th at 11:00 pm PST

Raldan fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 9, 2014

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)

The Door Frame posted:

Wait, which is the canon choice?

Someone can correct me, but I believe it's shown that helping Tosh is the canon choice in Heart of the Swarm.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I could see the face too Star Man. :stare:

Uh, anyway Jim is a big drat hero who will try to Save the colony. No way pissing off the protoss for potentially nothing could end badly. No sir.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Jim has seen some bad poo poo, and optimism just gets more people killed. Safe Haven: Purge the Colony (also I never did that mission in my own playthroughs).

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 5, 2014

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Raldan posted:

Someone can correct me, but I believe it's shown that helping Tosh is the canon choice in Heart of the Swarm.

That is correct. Helping Tosh is considered A-Canon and by default it is what happened in the overall timeline of the games. Now, as for the mission choice, voting for:

Safe Haven
-Protect The Colony

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Having all the research in the Protoss missions from the start, except for weapons, shields and armor is part of the reason why I don't like them. Kinda takes some of the fun out of it somehow.

Safe Heaven
PURGE the unclean! Burn heretic infested!

Raldan posted:

I think so too, but the game will recognize the choice you make in one of the first HoTS missions. With a single line of dialog that doesn't matter in the slightest. :downs:

Poil fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Dec 5, 2014

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Edit. Changed my vote.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 5, 2014

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Raldan posted:

Safe Haven
-Purify the Colony
:black101:

We gotta go whole hog on this. We sided with Tosh, now we gotta set some things on fire. Like PLANETS.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Protect the colony.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Definitely protect the colony. That was always my first choice, and I see no reason to deviate.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Purge the Colony.

I never really liked the doc very much.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Purge The Colony

I might have already asked this like 6 months ago when this mission first came up in the thread but you are showing both right?

EDIT: Haha yup. :suicide:

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Cleanse the Colony with fire :black101:

Purge the colony

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Protect Haven

Keep the rear end in a top hat choices to the bonus episodes imo

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

It really annoys me that they didn't use the original VA for Tassadar, considering that he's still doing work for them as Cain in Diablo.

Purge the colony!

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I finally got the loving reference to 'Narud' Jesus Christ this game.

I vote the Mobius base one because Medivacs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
gently caress the doctor, we all know that there are only 2 cures for the zerg infection, bullets and fire
:flame:Purge the Colony:flame:

The ending for saving the colony is so disgustingly saccharine that it feels out of place with the rest of the game and actually kind of upset me after seeing the super metal purge ending so many times. Even though saving has a cooler mechanic than the purge, I stand by razing the entire planet

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 5, 2014

• Locked thread