Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

He hasn't really been using any of the breathing room LW allows, either. Until he gets back up to speed, he can let the aliens tech up a bit (meld is still at 3/canister for him), get exhausted high-level troops to pull extra shifts, and skip missions that won't get him what he needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Sober posted:

Didn't follow his twitch stream until recently but did he even go Gauss or did he beam to pulse? And selling off 'obsolete' weapons to get a leg up with no real safety net is always a risk no matter how minimal. But in all fairness he has like a stable of 60 people, and maybe only 12 of them are pure rooks, he just needs to be quadruply careful now.

He sold his beam weapons because he kept mis-equipping them because the shotguns look almost identical to the pulse shotguns. He didn't gamble against a safety net, he gambled that the extra weapons were going to kill his troops long before a squad wipe happened. And he might have been right, we'll never know.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

What the gently caress is o7 that everyone was doing in the stream chat?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Orgophlax posted:

What the gently caress is o7 that everyone was doing in the stream chat?

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Haha, you meganerds!

Anyone use jumpy legs genemod in LW? I still can't resist putting it on my snipers even tho it's up against the wounds one. It's so fun watching them jump multiple stories in a single jump.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

How the hell that ballistic sniper rifle hit an impossible difficulty march 2016 berserker for that much damage is beyond me.

Sober fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 5, 2014

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

Sober posted:

How the hell that ballistic sniper rifle hit an impossible difficulty march 2016 berserker for that much damage is beyond me.

The magic of AlexD

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Sober posted:

The magic of Precision Shot.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Dongattack posted:

Anyone use jumpy legs genemod in LW? I still can't resist putting it on my snipers even tho it's up against the wounds one. It's so fun watching them jump multiple stories in a single jump.

I like it on officers, assaults, scouts, and medics. In all cases because it gives them tremendous flexibility to either break line of sight with aliens, or get to out of the way places from the safety of out of sight.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

amanasleep posted:

One possible problem with that is Marauders don't get HEAT.

Okay, I'll admit I haven't built any of that module. It says it's SHIV/MEC though, drat my believing eyes!

I'm not actually doing an all assault run right now so I'm running HEAT gunners and haven't needed anything more. I might at least add it to my shivs though.

Anyone have a copy of that goon name list? I lost it when I had to reinstall, my extra copy was in the directory that got corrupted.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 5, 2014

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Sober posted:

Pretty sure you have to be the CO, if you just tag a lesser officer along a higher one it doesn't count.

I thought this was changed from vanilla. I'm not positive, though.

Elukka posted:

What's a good research strategy for LW past the early game? By September and October I'm falling behind badly, 6 nations lost and even mundane enemies like EXALT snipers like to one shot my dudes through full cover and smoke. (I guess by this point you just need to be tanky?) I think it's time to restart but I don't get an impression of what I'm doing wrong and what I should improve on and I don't really want to spend real life months on multiple failed playthroughs to try and find out.

First priority should be MECs, unless you have them already. What armor tech do you have? You should have Carapace armor at that point.

I restarted campaigns numerous times around September, and I found that MECs/better armor makes a huge difference in terms of keeping soldiers alive and out of the sick bay.

Getting Gauss weapons should also be a priority; do more damage and you'll take less in return. Also, 6 nations lost isn't out of the ordinary (not sure which difficulty you're playing), but if you should definitely focus on interceptor tech as well.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Beagle's campaign is getting slaughtered tonight. Just lost a MEC on a mono-Heavy Floater bomb disposal. 20 damage shots to his MEC now.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I wonder if a weird bug was introduced with one of these recent updates. Cause Beagle is missing almost all his 7x% shots, and I was earlier today too. And his usually reliable overwatch troops has hit a whole 2 so far.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Orgophlax posted:

I wonder if a weird bug was introduced with one of these recent updates. Cause Beagle is missing almost all his 7x% shots, and I was earlier today too. And his usually reliable overwatch troops has hit a whole 2 so far.

Well, this bomb mission has flying+tac sense floaters, which are like 30%s on a good day.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

This is insane. Theres no way he can beat that heavy floater.

Edit: Of course, I have been wrong before.....

Edit 2: OMFG that freeze.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 5, 2014

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

quick question, does ready for anything also apply to rocket shots? as in you shoot a rocket your first action, do you still go into overwatch?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Roobanguy posted:

quick question, does ready for anything also apply to rocket shots? as in you shoot a rocket your first action, do you still go into overwatch?

Nope.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

No-one is allowed to complain about "Beagleluck" ever again. Karma was fully repaid this night.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Beagle just lost 2 MEC suits, too.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Rogue0071 posted:

Beagle just lost 2 MEC suits, too.

You could hear a small part of him break when he checked if he lost them.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Yeah I will be super glad when you can rebuild MEC suits.

edit: lol Beagle going crazy, considering basic SHIV army

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Beagle's officially lost it. :stare:

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:
This stream has been ridiculously brutal.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Does he not notice he has 2 other Alloy SHIVs on his roster??

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Sober posted:

Does he not notice he has 2 other Alloy SHIVs on his roster??

Alloy SHIVs are valuable and irreplaceable. You don't seem to understand the reason X-COM is subcontracting out to Sony.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Beagle is basically the best player I've ever seen. For him to eat it this hard is pretty good proof that the game needs some more rebalancing. Amanasleep can talk numbers all day but the proof is in the beaglepudding.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Huh, did he get pulse lasers before they added power systems as a pre-req or something? Found it odd it's still on his research list.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Shivcom :getin:

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

Beagle is basically the best player I've ever seen. For him to eat it this hard is pretty good proof that the game needs some more rebalancing. Amanasleep can talk numbers all day but the proof is in the beaglepudding.

To be fair the difficulty is called impossible. Still I do think the game is a bit too nasty at times.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Not pictured: another shiv and a sniper with disabling and shap shot.

e: And now he's replaced two shivs with troops due to lack of items.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Sorry, no numbers, but Beagle plays I/I, and the game is balanced around Normal.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Well I'm glad I'm playing the balanced difficulty :v:

edit: so is this all stemming from one lost mission or was it a more gradual loss on the strategy layer?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Oh he got the subway map.
Also the perfect weather for what is probably the end.

e:

dyzzy posted:

edit: so is this all stemming from one lost mission or was it a more gradual loss on the strategy layer?

One nearly full squadwide with the addiontal loss on the strategy layer for no backup of material. He has enough soldiers, just not the weapon.

Then again, he kept up with the pace of the campagin.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

dyzzy posted:

He had a crashed UFO where he should have retreated and didn't, lost 7 soldiers and almost all of their gear. This made it necessary to rely heavily on MECs for the bomb defusal mission, at which point heavy floaters with HEAT ammo wrecked two MECs. He has thus moved to disposable SHIVs.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

amanasleep posted:

Sorry, no numbers, but Beagle plays I/I, and the game is balanced around Normal.

He's also a much better player than normal.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

trucutru posted:

He's also a much better player than normal.

Literally this. If beags would play normal, than the game would "be" way too easy.

e: Boss Heavy Floater :gonk:

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 5, 2014

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

amanasleep posted:

How different are the difficulties in Long War, really? Long War doesn't seem to have the tightly designed gameplay where clear differences in how you approach each type of enemy are determined by 1 or 2 hitpoints, and I doubt that the devs have spent any time making a beefy AI and hamstringing it for the intended experience of Normal.

Do you get fewer alloys or have to spend more? Do aliens do some multiplier of damage? Because without experience in the later stages of the campaign I'm don't know how the difficulties stack up. It's one thing to say the game is balanced for one difficulty. It's another thing for the differences between difficulties to really matter when the differences in a Vanilla game already get tossed onto the pile every two in-game months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

TheBlandName posted:

How different are the difficulties in Long War, really? Long War doesn't seem to have the tightly designed gameplay where clear differences in how you approach each type of enemy are determined by 1 or 2 hitpoints, and I doubt that the devs have spent any time making a beefy AI and hamstringing it for the intended experience of Normal.

Do you get fewer alloys or have to spend more? Do aliens do some multiplier of damage? Because without experience in the later stages of the campaign I'm don't know how the difficulties stack up. It's one thing to say the game is balanced for one difficulty. It's another thing for the differences between difficulties to really matter when the differences in a Vanilla game already get tossed onto the pile every two in-game months.
I think the AI is unlocked even on normal unlike vanilla EU/EW, where it's gimped.

Also this: http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Difficulty_%28Long_War%29

• Locked thread