Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Tiger Shark posted:

Whoa, you can get borderless fullscreen? Please explain how.

Starsector -> starsector-core -> data -> config

Should be a file called, "Settings".

Open it, and near the top will be some settings for the display.

Change it from
"colorblindMode":false,
"undecoratedWindow":false,
#"resolutionOverride":"1024x768",
#"forceAspectRatio":"1.3333",
#"windowLocationX":0,
#"windowLocationY":0,

to

"undecoratedWindow":true,
"windowLocationX":0,
"windowLocationY":0,

You change undecorated window to "true" and remove the #'s in front of the two windowlocations. When you launch the game, make sure you uncheck "Fullscreen" so it works properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger Shark
Oct 2, 2013

Brainbread posted:

Starsector -> starsector-core -> data -> config

Should be a file called, "Settings".

Open it, and near the top will be some settings for the display.

Change it from
"undecoratedWindow":false,
#"windowLocationX":0,
#"windowLocationY":0,

to

"undecoratedWindow":true,
"windowLocationX":0,
"windowLocationY":0,

You change undecorated window to "true" and remove the #'s in front of the two windowlocations. When you launch the game, make sure you uncheck "Fullscreen" so it works properly.

Got it working just fine. Thanks!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

First time playing the game with mods and while they are neat, dealing with the Java issues or whatever else is going on is a pain. Upgraded to the 64 bit JRE and edited vparams to 4 gigs and my game still crashes while trying to load my save. Going to shelve this one and hopefully the next patch will address the memory usage.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Oh cool, a Starsector thread. I got this way back and just decided to download it again for the new patch after not playing for a while.

What's everybody's opinion on the Afflictor? I haven't seen it talked about much, but when I first got one I immediately fell in love with it. It's OP as gently caress IMO.

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
Some notes on reputation in the vanilla game:

The fastest way to build reputation with a faction is to shoot down their enemies, in a system where they have a base, while they offer a bounty. Typically this means pirates, but Valhalla for example has both Tri-Tach and Hegemony bases so you can improve your rep with one at the expense of another.

The problem is that fighting their ships is also the fastest way to tank your rep with a faction. Not a problem with the pirates, you say, but if you get over -75 with them you can no longer trade with them at all and there are some useful things to be found at pirate bases.

There is a cap at -75 reputation however and only some actions can cause your rep to fall past that point into the unrecoverable zone. Fighting and destroying ships, smuggling, trading with enemies - none of these things will cause your rep to drop further. The major thing that will cause this is pursuing enemies in combat, this generates at least a -5 rep penalty every time. If you avoid this you can fight a faction's fleets indefinitely and never go beyond -75.

Only fight enemies that don't flee from your fleet on sight (you may need to leave some ships at the nearest station to make the fight more even) and never pursue the remnants of their force and you won't piss them off so bad that you're never forgiven. This allows you to build rep very quickly if the right bounties are in place.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Rorac posted:

What's everybody's opinion on the Afflictor? I haven't seen it talked about much, but when I first got one I immediately fell in love with it. It's OP as gently caress IMO.

What did you stick on yours? I've been using 4 dual machine guns and an antimatter blaster with lots of capacitors. I can shoot, cloak, uncloak, repeat with impunity for a long time, and whittle the enemy down to max flux then nail them at close range with the AB. I also stick upgraded engines on it and maybe augmented thrusters, with a couple nav buoys and my skills the top speed is over 300, easy. I can outrun fighters in it :stare:

I'm thinking of upgrading to railguns but I wouldn't have as many ordnance points to spend on vents and stuff.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
One thing I'd like to see in later patches is a better approach to crew management. It's weird that crew are currently treated as a commodity; some sort of system for assigning crew to different ships would be good. It would also be good to deal with the "put my huge cruiser into storage but forgot to put the crew into storage as well, whoops looks like your frigate has 300 extra crew sitting around doing nothing but eating supplies" problem.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want the Officer system in place, even if it is nothing more than AI behaviour adjustment. Getting sick of fleet carriers thinking they are battleships and charging into the battle instead of sitting in the back in support.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

oohhboy posted:

I want the Officer system in place, even if it is nothing more than AI behaviour adjustment. Getting sick of fleet carriers thinking they are battleships and charging into the battle instead of sitting in the back in support.

I was expecting it to provide various bonuses to whatever ship they were assigned to. It would be fun if they could have usable ship abilities that overrode that of the ships they're assigned to, like fortress shield (or fast missile racks :getin:).

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Minarchist posted:

What did you stick on yours? I've been using 4 dual machine guns and an antimatter blaster with lots of capacitors. I can shoot, cloak, uncloak, repeat with impunity for a long time, and whittle the enemy down to max flux then nail them at close range with the AB. I also stick upgraded engines on it and maybe augmented thrusters, with a couple nav buoys and my skills the top speed is over 300, easy. I can outrun fighters in it :stare:

I'm thinking of upgrading to railguns but I wouldn't have as many ordnance points to spend on vents and stuff.

I'm of the opinion that 4 tactical lasers and an LR PD laser is the best loadout. It takes some finesse but if you balance rapidly cloaking and decloaking or tapping and untapping the fire button, you lose almost no firepower in an immediate sense, but you get a big flux bonus on damage for keeping your flux around 80-90% of it's max capacity. In an older version I was able to fire all the weapons and only lose 2 flux, so once I kicked it up to around 80% capacity, I was able to lay down the damage for a very, very long time. I can't quite seem to do that in recent versions, I guess they lowered how much flux the lasers generate.

And poo poo man, only 300? I focused a lot on personal skills, but I don't even need a buoy and I can kick it well over 300.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I expect the Officer system to be more than just AI tweaks. It is sure to provide bonuses like the PC ship has. While the AI is fantastic there are some classes of ships that don't quite work with it even after given orders like the Astral where the captain keeps thinking he is commanding a brawling battleship of the line instead of a guided missile carrier that needs to hang back if only so returning and exiting fighters aren't getting vaporised by main guns.

IIRC the Officer system was also going to include personalities so you have to pair the right people with the right ship. He will be sure to get to it eventually. When it comes out its going to be awesome.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The AI seems to handle extreme range weapons poorly in general. I can make an LRM ship that could overwhelm a target with a missile barrage from across the map but in the hands of the AI it gets brought in to brawl with... The machine guns?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Rorac posted:

And poo poo man, only 300? I focused a lot on personal skills, but I don't even need a buoy and I can kick it well over 300.

Whoops, I was using the refit menu simulator for that value :saddowns:

In actual combat with augmented engines and maxed speed skills I can get it to 329 with the +75 zero flux boost without nav buoys. I just tested it in a combat map with two buoys for +30 speed and 359 is almost too fast, you overshoot literally anything else. It's probably the only ship I've ever had to use the decelerate button with so far.

edit: Apparently the tempest is 15 points faster than the Afflictor...I haven't used mine since I maxed out my speed skills.

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 2, 2014

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Ah, yeah, in that case it's a bit extreme, yeah. That said, it's great for chasing down/intercepting retreating opponents because you WILL catch them if they're not just about to cross the map border. I tend to keep mine in a state of extremely high flux, so it's a bit more controllable in combat. Try using the 4 tactical lasers + LR PD laser combo and see how that works out. With some range increasing mods and skills, it makes an excellent harasser that can attack from outside of the range of most other weapons.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
Just for fun I put 4 antimatter blasters on an Afflictor and left the turret empty. If you make sure the shields on your target are up it will overload almost anything up to a destroyer from zero flux if all 4 hit at once. The best part is the antimatter blasters recharge faster than an overload wears off :getin:

It creates stupid amounts of flux though if they're linked, alternating shots seem to work a lot better since you can at least get a shot off if you have a lot of flux built up.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I usually favor vents over capacitors, but an Afflictor with ABs is one build where you want to stack as many capacitors as you have room for.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Holy poo poo this game scratches so many itches at once. Took a look at it when it was 0.62 and was reasonably impressed, but 0.65 with SS+ and the other factions this is just amazing. Well worth the cost, especially seeing as its still only in alpha and the community aren't a bunch of self-important entitled shitlords.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

oohhboy posted:

I expect the Officer system to be more than just AI tweaks. It is sure to provide bonuses like the PC ship has. While the AI is fantastic there are some classes of ships that don't quite work with it even after given orders like the Astral where the captain keeps thinking he is commanding a brawling battleship of the line instead of a guided missile carrier that needs to hang back if only so returning and exiting fighters aren't getting vaporised by main guns.

IIRC the Officer system was also going to include personalities so you have to pair the right people with the right ship. He will be sure to get to it eventually. When it comes out its going to be awesome.

Why don't you give it a carrier rally then?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If it worked as intended then I wouldn't have mentioned it. The large carriers have enough weapons to make the AI think it can take poo poo on especially more so if you use AI point defence plus Tactical lasers or its mod equivalents. The Astral treats it more like a waypoint or a suggestion and quite happily travel to engage close combat. I don't mind it engaging in combat, but when it straight up disobey gets annoying as you see it shot up because it wanted to taste blood/plasma.

The small single deck carriers obey correctly and engage only in self defence.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I got this about 3 days ago and am fairly addicted.

I just put together my first half decent fleet. I'm running 2 Wolf Frigates, 2 Sunder Destroyers and 1 Falcon Cruiser. I'm going to replace the Falcon with an Eagle when it pops up. So far I've been wiping the floor with most things.

Quick question: At the moment I've only really been pissing off the bandits as annoying one of the factions seems like more trouble than it's worth. Other than annoying the poo poo out of bandits, what are some cool things to do?

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Changes for upcoming patch were posted. Pretty big combat changes this time around.

quote:

Miscellaneous:
Added Conquest battlecruiser to Sindrian Diktat fleet composition
Optimized save files (~50% smaller); should be compatible with 0.65a saves and will convert them over on next save
Added information about recently seen commodity prices to commodity tooltips
Cargo/fuel/etc capacity in the trade screen will update while drag-selecting quantity
Added new mission: "A Fistful of Credits"
If starting the game at full screen resolution in windowed mode, will automatically use an undecorated window

Combat balance pass:
Removed energy weapon bonus damage from high flux level
Increased damage values for non-beam energy weapons by roughly 25% to compensate
Beam weapons:
Standardized range to 1000 for most non-PD, from Tactical Laser to HIL
Increased range for PD Laser and LR PD Laser
Slightly reduced OP cost for all beam weapons
Tactical Laser, Graviton Beam, and Phase Beam are no longer interrupted by missiles
Greatly reduced fade in/out time for most beams
Missiles:
Salamander: both versions have unlimited ammo and require 20 seconds to reload
Hurricane MIRV: regenerates 1 ammo every 20 seconds
Pilum LRM: regenerates 1 ammo every 10 seconds
Ballistic weapons:
Now have unlimited ammo, except for Bomb Bay
Reduced OP cost of Light Dual MG
Ships
Destroyers and cruisers now have a peak effectiveness timer like frigates
Roughly 5-7 minutes for destroyers and 7-9 for cruisers
High-tech/faster ships have shorter timers
Sunder: increased top speed, acceleration, and flux capacity. Reduced shield efficiency.
Brawler/Shepherd: increased burn level by 1 (to 6)
Condor: reduced supplies/day by 1 (to 4)

Modding:
get/setHitpoints() now works for in-combat asteroids
Fixed bug where non-compressed saves would not load
"Edit variants" run simulation now allows deployment of allied ships (same list as enemies)

Bugfixing:
The ostensibly-removed logistics priority button no longer shows up on the fleet screen while docked
High Intensity Laser will no longer spawn multiple beams if the fire button is clicked multiple times
Making unconfirmed changes to the character skills/aptitudes now properly disables the power button in the top right corner
Fixed "run simulation" crash bug having to do with exporting ship variants
Mothballed ships no longer contribute
Fixed bug where repeatedly buy/selling a stack of Volturnian Lobster on the black market could yield infinite profits
Fixed bug where some space station mouseover descriptions would revert to the default text on game load
Fixed "secure comm access channel revoked" report spam bug, really this time
"Food shortage prevented", "food shortage likely" etc reports won't hang around past the date in the filter
Fixed issue where losses suffered by elite crew during boarding weren't being applied properly
Fixed issue where ships put into storage would occasionally get duped
Player gender is now properly set on new game creation
Fixed bug where switching flagships in a simulation with allied ships would leave your original flagship without AI control
Fixed issue where captured ships would sometimes spawn as hostile in the simulator
Fixed issue with burst beam weapons rapidly consuming charges if fired while the phase cloak or teleporter was activating

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I'm not sure I like destroyers and cruisers having a peak OP timer. The missles changes look somewhat interesting though.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Interesting that the Tactical Laser got a buff. It's already a really great weapon.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Hopefully all the other missiles follow before the patch drops and they all get regen ammo with differing regen times. That'll put them on par with all the other types and they can finally start being balanced in proper fashion. Beams needed a buff - the fact they don't generate hard flux (no matter which damage type they use) is a huge downside and the range was far too short for something that leaves no lasting impact in enemy shields.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't say I like the operation timer being extended to bigger ships. They have their own flaws to balance them out with out the nerf. Missile reloading should be good. Removing Ballistic ammo count is good as I avoided them as running out of ammo was a far greater issue to ship survivability than incoming damage. Mixed on the flux bonus damage mechanic as that differentiated play between ballistic and energy.

Officer system please.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'll have to reserve my judgement until I play that patch because the developer almost always makes good game decision, but man that's a pretty big set of changes. Really can't see why destroyers and cruisers now have time limits. For really high-tech stuff like the Medusa and Doom sure, but for the rest? ehhh

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Gobblecoque posted:

I'll have to reserve my judgement until I play that patch because the developer almost always makes good game decision, but man that's a pretty big set of changes. Really can't see why destroyers and cruisers now have time limits. For really high-tech stuff like the Medusa and Doom sure, but for the rest? ehhh

It's basically a soft time limit for fights in general. That's a good thing, especially if weapons get infinite ammo - it stops those eternal runaway fights, which are absolutely a thing that happens with high tech ships (even big ones). Low Tech becomes more viable because eventually the High Tech enemy is going to be forced to fight or flee because they'll run out of performance first.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't say I much like the operations timer being shorter for high tech ships given that a lot of them are built the be standoff ships.

If the shielding and weapons encourage you to be careful I don't much get why you'd add a crap out timer to the ship.

Also don't much like that ammo is no longer a thing, not really seeing the appeal of energy weapons otherwise.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

This overview from the OP should remind you of why high tech ships have worse CR timers

quote:

Low-tech (Hegemony, Pirates): High armor, ability to keep shields off and stay at high flux to bully enemy ships with kinetic and HE damage, lots of missiles, low logistical load, positioning-dependant. The choice if you like to man up and just facetank and ram things and slug it out.
Mid-tech (Sindrian, Mercs, Neutrals) High mobility, very offensive: energy based PD with ballistic assault weapons is highly efficient. Flexible. Good fighters. Often positioning-dependant. Medium logistical load.
High-tech (Tri-Tachyon) High shield efficiency and focus on energy weapons. Best frigates. Very powerful 1v1. Can usually always back out of a losing firefight and reset, which is effective because the ships rarely have to take armor/hull damage. Very high logistical load. Has some of the best ship systems.

Also, ammo was only a problem for very specific ship setups (ships with Thumpers, Hammerhead with dual heavy MGs or thumpers or Flak Cannons, or Onslaught with Gauss Cannons) and doesn't change much, except for in those ridiculously long fights that this patch aims to eliminate anyway. It's always been a fact that in Starsector you can crush the enemy in less than a minute with a setup geared for it, making ammo or missile count a trivial factor.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
1000 range Tactical Lasers is pretty much RIP Hounds.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

This overview from the OP should remind you of why high tech ships have worse CR timers

Also, ammo was only a problem for very specific ship setups (ships with Thumpers, Hammerhead with dual heavy MGs or thumpers or Flak Cannons, or Onslaught with Gauss Cannons) and doesn't change much, except for in those ridiculously long fights that this patch aims to eliminate anyway. It's always been a fact that in Starsector you can crush the enemy in less than a minute with a setup geared for it, making ammo or missile count a trivial factor.

I always found ammo to be an important consideration for any fleet trying to do more with less.

Yes if you have an ideal setup you can beat the enemy into a pulp in a minute or two, but that's not very challenging, taking a mid-range ship with limited weapons and ammo and piloting it well to beat a more effective on-paper force is both challenging and useful.

I dunno, I don't see what value it adds by just forcing ships to repeatedly retreat and making combat even more CR-attrition based, as well as removing an interesting balancing mechanic in the form of ammo, which is especially important for ballistic weapons as the limited ammo capacity is the main thing which dictates the necessity of carrying both kinetic and explosive weapons.

Voyager I posted:

1000 range Tactical Lasers is pretty much RIP Hounds.

This also, 1000 units is already tediously long in terms of the camera and being able to aim at and see the things shooting at you, it's fine for gimmick weapons but making almost all beam weapons default to it is going to be irritating on both sides, and entirely obsolete shieldless designs.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

OwlFancier posted:

I always found ammo to be an important consideration for any fleet trying to do more with less.

Yes if you have an ideal setup you can beat the enemy into a pulp in a minute or two, but that's not very challenging, taking a mid-range ship with limited weapons and ammo and piloting it well to beat a more effective on-paper force is both challenging and useful.

I dunno, I don't see what value it adds by just forcing ships to repeatedly retreat and making combat even more CR-attrition based, as well as removing an interesting balancing mechanic in the form of ammo, which is especially important for ballistic weapons as the limited ammo capacity is the main thing which dictates the necessity of carrying both kinetic and explosive weapons.

This also, 1000 units is already tediously long in terms of the camera and being able to aim at and see the things shooting at you, it's fine for gimmick weapons but making almost all beam weapons default to it is going to be irritating on both sides, and entirely obsolete shieldless designs.

1000 range is only exceptional for a small-mount weapon that can be fielded in bulk by Frigates (other small mounts can already push that range, but usually at prohibitively high OP costs). Medium ballistics and beams can already reach that far without factoring in that larger hulls get more powerful Integrated Targeting Units, and effective combat ranges only go up from there as ship sizes increase. It's going to be a huge game-changer for the Wolf, especially in the very early game 1 Wolf v 1 Hound battles, but it's not going to break the combat system in general and breaking 1000 range isn't unusual for most ships larger than frigates. It actually might make things worse for Frigates since now every single medium or high tech ship can project a 1000 range gently caress-off zone around themselves for 5 OP.

Ammo really wan't much of a mechanical concern outside of a few situations and Ballistic weapons in general weren't balanced around it as a limiting factor. It made a handful of weapons unusable and occasionally became an issue in unusually long battles but generally wasn't even a design concern.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Also let's not pretend the shield-less ships were ever really viable. They were a bad gimmick at the best of times.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The real problem with the shield-less ships is that none of them are really well-armored or have really intimidating firepower. The Brawler and Enforcer, for example, would still do really well without shields because they pack a shitton of armor and can carry plenty of firepower to force an attacking ship into overload.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The Enforcer and Dominator might be better in AI hands as shieldless ships since it would stop them from capping out their flux with their terrible shield efficiency instead of just letting their armor do its job and murderizing whatever idiot was standing in front of them.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DatonKallandor posted:

Also let's not pretend the shield-less ships were ever really viable. They were a bad gimmick at the best of times.

When starting the game the cerb and the hound are excellent, with these changes, not so much, unless they make beams do kinetic damage or something.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

Buffalos, yes. But Hounds are really, really useful. I keep 3-4 of them for chasing down defeated fleets. The range on a Mauler is enough that they can harass most retreating ships safely, and they're so cheap to deploy and maintain that you don't even notice having them in the fleet. As well, they can chase down defeated fighters.

Plus, how often do the defeated fleets really try to put up a fight?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Has anyone noticed that the AI can be retarded at times with the retreat command on ships with fixed shields?

Rather than backing out of range, they turn and moon the enemy with their unshielded engines and promptly get blown up. I lost quite a few wolves that I thought I was saving with the retreat command.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I'm kinda surprised that ballistics are getting the unlimited ammo treatment, but given how generous their pools were originally, I guess it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Brainbread posted:

Buffalos, yes. But Hounds are really, really useful. I keep 3-4 of them for chasing down defeated fleets. The range on a Mauler is enough that they can harass most retreating ships safely, and they're so cheap to deploy and maintain that you don't even notice having them in the fleet. As well, they can chase down defeated fighters.

Plus, how often do the defeated fleets really try to put up a fight?

So unshielded ships excel in situations where the enemy can't shoot at them. Yes but any ship would do well in those situations. Also Heavy Maulers are broken as gently caress and I don't know why they haven't been nerfed yet (they make every ship that has a medium ballistic mount great).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 5, 2014