Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

The early EU was also set post-RotJ, where the basic assumption was that the Empire was on the back-pedal.

The idea that all Stormtroopers were clones from the beginning blatantly ignores what's in the films. The stormtroopers had different voices and you can see that while their body types were similar, they weren't identical. And if Lucas' new original idea was that the Stormtroopers from the OT were clones like the troopers in Episode II, then he would have edited their dialogue in the Special Editions to have the same voice-actor like what he did to Boba Fett.

I'm not sure this follows. Ignoring any EU and looking strictly at the films, it doesn't really make sense to think that they went from clones in Episode II & III to non-clones in Episode IV. It also seems to me that a bunch of faceless minions who are only ever addressed by a number in the OT would suggest that they are clones. Also I don't really consider it a retcon as I remember as a kid putting Leia's comment about the clone wars together with an army of identical soldiers and just assuming that they were clones. It was only when I started down the rabbit hole of the EU that I realised this wasn't the common view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SirPhoebos posted:

The early EU was also set post-RotJ, where the basic assumption was that the Empire was on the back-pedal.

The idea that all Stormtroopers were clones from the beginning blatantly ignores what's in the films. The stormtroopers had different voices and you can see that while their body types were similar, they weren't identical. And if Lucas' new original idea was that the Stormtroopers from the OT were clones like the troopers in Episode II, then he would have edited their dialogue in the Special Editions to have the same voice-actor like what he did to Boba Fett.

Except that we have two explanations within the EU. One is that they used multiple lines of clone, which fits better with the faceless minions with only a serial number, and the other is that they abandoned clones entirely despite this not making sense with the rest of the EU.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Some of the oldest and best EU (Heir to the Empire) portrays clones as rare in the stormtrooper corps until the re-discovery of Spaarti cloning by Thrawn. Later good EU in the form of the X-Wing novels also goes along with that, where on occasion main characters disguise themselves as stormtroopers and are not immediately discovered which is pretty fanning even if there are multiple (but significantly less numerous than conscript) lines.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm sick of this argument. So sick. I hope the new movies address this once and for all dammit.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Strobe posted:

Some of the oldest and best EU (Heir to the Empire) portrays clones as rare in the stormtrooper corps until the re-discovery of Spaarti cloning by Thrawn. Later good EU in the form of the X-Wing novels also goes along with that, where on occasion main characters disguise themselves as stormtroopers and are not immediately discovered which is pretty fanning even if there are multiple (but significantly less numerous than conscript) lines.

Heir to the Empire is where the "running out of stormtroopers" stuff comes from. The Imperial Navy and Army have no clue where stormtroopers come from according to the WEG stuff that Zahn used. The Last Command equates clone pilots with stormtroopers too, I'm pretty sure.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Effectronica posted:

Heir to the Empire is where the "running out of stormtroopers" stuff comes from. The Imperial Navy and Army have no clue where stormtroopers come from according to the WEG stuff that Zahn used. The Last Command equates clone pilots with stormtroopers too, I'm pretty sure.

I got the impression stormtroopers were rare simply because elite, well-trained troops are not something the Empire is brimming with right now. Also everyone in the Empire is kinda freaked out by Thrawn's clones.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

In the Thrawn trilogy Imperial commanders are kind of weirded out by commanding clones. I prefer. The narrative that clones were incredibly rare by the time of the OT.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

In the Thrawn trilogy Imperial commanders are kind of weirded out by commanding clones. I prefer. The narrative that clones were incredibly rare by the time of the OT.

I always thought it was because in the Thrawn trilogy clones were described as being rather unpredictable and crazy.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

StashAugustine posted:

I got the impression stormtroopers were rare simply because elite, well-trained troops are not something the Empire is brimming with right now. Also everyone in the Empire is kinda freaked out by Thrawn's clones.

Again, though, nobody knows where stormtroopers come from, which is odd if the boys in white are just elite forces with a lot of training, and people speak of them as a finite resource, unlike starships, which require much more time to complete than any realistic training. But if they really don't know that stormtroopers are clones (and late EU material indicates that the GeNode lines of clonetroopers created false memories and full personalities within hours of decanting), then that explains why the naked use of clones freaks them out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
To be quite honest, the idea that any of the OT stormtroopers could be clones never even crossed my mind, even after I saw AOTC. I think this is because: a) I read The Essential Guide to Characters before I read any of the novels, and the only stormtrooper who had a write-up in that book was Davin Felth ("Look, sir! Droids!"), who wasn't a clone; and b) I subsequently read the Thrawn Trilogy, and I remember getting the impression that the people who were with the Empire now had fought against clones during the Clone Wars (there's one bit where Pellaeon reflects on how he once engaged a rogue clone army during the Clone Wars; I believe John Ostrander later retconned this into being an army of Morgukai clones bred by the Separatists to kill Jedi).

What I'm saying is, I can't say I particularly rue the non-canon status of the old EU.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
When people talk favorably of the Clone Wars series is it the animated one or the CG one they mean? Can you even watch the animated one anywhere?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

RichterIX posted:

When people talk favorably of the Clone Wars series is it the animated one or the CG one they mean? Can you even watch the animated one anywhere?

Talk about it has been the CG one. The animated one is fantastic and very nearly beyond reproach (as much as a 5-15 minute cartoon can be).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

About the stormtroopers, not to mention that in the Jedi Academy Trilogy I think Kyp Durron (or his brother?) was a stormtrooper, and Luke meets an old clearly non-clone stormtrooper in Children of the Jedi. I remember when I first watched A New Hope as a kid (long before the prequels) for some reason I thought that stormtroopers were cyborgs with their helmets implanted onto them and Luke & Han killed them by basically pulling their heads off in order to get their uniforms. I guess I had kind of gruesome imagination as a kid.

Also the original animated Clone Wars cartoon is amazing and it sucks that when the CGI version came out Lucasfilm tried to erase the first series from existence by no longer selling it.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

RichterIX posted:

It's really not very hard to find. The animated micro-series is okay. Some parts, especially in the first "season," are really embarrassingly bad (Dooku's entire vocabulary for one episode iinvolves chuckling and saying the word "Indeed?" very dramatically, and C-3PO does a striptease, for example) and there's some stupid plotlines that go nowhere (the invincible armored guy called Durge or something that never appears again, and Anakin going to some weird giant rat planet for a drawn-out spirit journey kicked off by a very heavy-handed hallucination sequence) but it's got some good characterization especially for Ventress and Grievous. The animation's pretty nice too if you can get over Tartakovsky's penchant for occasional stupid facial expressions. It's got about as many hits and misses as the CGI series but I'm pretty sure most people enjoyed it.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Kyle Katarn was a stormtrooper in the novelization of Dark Forces. Not a clone.

Kir Kanos and Carnor Jax (along with all or most of the imperial guard hopefuls) were also stormtroopers at the beginning of Crimson Empire.

Isn't a plot point somewhere that the Jango clones start deteriorating deteriorating going crazy after 15 or 20 years, and by A New Hope they're mostly enlisted stormtroopers?

I prefer the world where stormtroopers are actual people. Adds more weight to their ill-deeds.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zoran posted:

I, Jedi is by far the funniest book in the old canon, if you read Kevin J. Anderson's poo poo.

I also find it funny that it's Mike Stackpole of all people trying to take KJA to task for having one-dimensional villains and characters who are either obvious self-inserts or exist as wallpaper that occasionally tells you how cool the self-insert is.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Seeing that this all arose from fans raising a fuss over black stormtroopers, I think what I and others are trying to say is that no you are actually a horrible racist and must submit to tumblr for punishment. :whip:

EDIT:

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Isn't a plot point somewhere that the Jango clones start deteriorating deteriorating going crazy after 15 or 20 years, and by A New Hope they're mostly enlisted stormtroopers?

Bingo! It's in the post-RotS novel about Darth Vader. The Emperor announces they're switching over to an enlisted army.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 6, 2014

khamul
Jul 27, 2006
Shadow of the East

Strobe posted:

I know they're several times not-canon by now, but I love the old WEG sourcebooks. The Imperial Sourcebook actually laid out an Imperial government system that made sense, including a combined-forces army and navy (as opposed to just stormtroopers). One of the creepier things about the stormtroopers as laid out in the sourcebook involved them having a completely independent and secret chain of command and recruiting base. I think at the time it wasn't clear whether stormtroopers were supposed to be some sort of clone or brainwashed human, and before the prequels came out it didn't matter. Now, I think it's cooler to think of them as both, coming from a number of different sources within the vast expanse of the galaxy.
Also, Sectors and Sector Groups explained a lot about how a galaxy with tens of thousands of worlds could be governed/ controlled by a relatively small central apparatus. Sectors were made up of tens or even hundreds of individual inhabited worlds, and the entire region was represented/ controlled on Coruscant by one Senator/ Moff. To the extent that it matters how an imaginary universe actually runs, the WEG materials are great for fleshing out what you see in the films--which is exactly what a lot of the EU authors used them for.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hazo posted:

It's really not very hard to find. The animated micro-series is okay. Some parts, especially in the first "season," are really embarrassingly bad (Dooku's entire vocabulary for one episode iinvolves chuckling and saying the word "Indeed?" very dramatically, and C-3PO does a striptease, for example) and there's some stupid plotlines that go nowhere (the invincible armored guy called Durge or something that never appears again, and Anakin going to some weird giant rat planet for a drawn-out spirit journey kicked off by a very heavy-handed hallucination sequence) but it's got some good characterization especially for Ventress and Grievous. The animation's pretty nice too if you can get over Tartakovsky's penchant for occasional stupid facial expressions. It's got about as many hits and misses as the CGI series but I'm pretty sure most people enjoyed it.

It has been quite a few years since I saw it, but I remember getting a kick out of the episode where Mace Windu is fighting an entire army of droids single-handed, and when he loses his lightsaber he punches them out instead.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

It has been quite a few years since I saw it, but I remember getting a kick out of the episode where Mace Windu is fighting an entire army of droids single-handed, and when he loses his lightsaber he punches them out instead.

God that was awesome.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

SeanBeansShako posted:

God that was awesome.

Mace Windu owns. And I choose to believe that he really did out-duel Palpatine.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Zoran posted:

It would be awesome really if he came back in the New Movies. I don't care if he'll be ancient and lacking a hand, he's got one and can still shatter point like crazy.

Look, a nerd can dream :(.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

God that was awesome.
For those that haven't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj07qh51zPI

Though Grievous' introduction is even better, in my opinion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIj7gIDFDe4

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Grievous is actually sort of more interesting in the cartoons than in the actual loving film he's in. That is really really weird to this day if you ask me.

Kind of like the reverse Boba Fett (debuted in the silly as hell Holiday Special cartoon, dies like a clown in the films).

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Why do people assume Boyega is a stormtrooper, instead of just wearing the armor as a disguise? That happened in the original trilogy a bunch - Han & Luke on the Death Star, Leia & Lando in Jabba's Palace, Han to get back into the bunker...

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Metal Loaf posted:

Like I said, it's very hit and miss, and the action sequences are mostly hits. The Mace Windu episode, the clone fights, and the lightsaber battles are all loving rad. I get the feeling people are only remembering these and not the awful dialogue and plotlines when they say the series is "beyond reproach" but overall I still think it's a worthwhile watch.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Zoran posted:

Yeah, but Mace totally fell to the Dark Side at the end of the fight. He straight up was about to summary execute a defenseless opponent. It's even more explicit in the novelization, he sneers to Palpatine "You Sith disease!" after he surrenders. That's one of the few examples where I feel the Prequels succeeded in portraying Palpatine as a devious schemer without making it feel like he just had a copy of the script-he had forced the Jedi into a no-win situation where either they would be destroyed or become the very evil they had fought against for so long.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 7, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Why do people assume Boyega is a stormtrooper, instead of just wearing the armor as a disguise? That happened in the original trilogy a bunch - Han & Luke on the Death Star, Leia & Lando in Jabba's Palace, Han to get back into the bunker...

Early leaked info said the main character was a Stormtrooper.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

RichterIX posted:

Both seasons of the animated one are on YouTube in their entirety.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It also gave us this awesome scene.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I would really like it if Genndy Tartakovsky was given the chance to make a new cartoon about a lone Jedi walkng the galaxy post Order 66. I know that's basically an overploughed field at this point but it would essentially be Samurai Jack and as such it would be worth it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jedi Jack? Yes. Yes I would agree to that.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Agreed, but only if they bring back that lion alien bounty hunter dude again.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Or Pig Sheriff and his redneck posse. Way more effective than those big-planet high-falootin Inquisitors.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They've released character names.

Also I read an interview with Oscar Isaacs where he talked about how there were tons of physical props and everybody really poured their heart into making this movie. Hope that's true.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Only silly-ish one really is Poe. I'd like to know Rey and Finn's last names though!

(One of them is going to be Starkiller, isn't it?)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I was more than a little skeptical of the authenticity of these until I found the EW article they come from.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/12/11/star-wars-the-force-awakens-character-names/

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Only silly-ish one really is Poe. I'd like to know Rey and Finn's last names though!

(One of them is going to be Starkiller, isn't it?)

Rey is definitely going to be Solo. Finn Starkiller is something I hadn't considered but definitely feels like it could fit.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Chairman Capone posted:

Rey is definitely going to be Solo. Finn Starkiller is something I hadn't considered but definitely feels like it could fit.

Organa-Solo :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Nah, their children's last names would not be Organa-Solo.