Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Purge the colony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'd be less upset with the Zerg retcon if, as mentioned in the video, it wasn't done nearly word-for-word about a decade earlier with the Orcs in Warcraft 3. Like, the only difference I can think of is that there's no direct counterpart in Warcraft 3 to Mengsk. But yeah, Metzen may be a decent artist, but dear lord does he suck as a writer.

Anyhew, votes:
Might as well jump on the Purge the Colony bandwagon, since there's no chance in hell of any other mission getting a vote.

Also, you are not crazy, Star Man. I see the face as well. :stare:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

AradoBalanga posted:

I'd be less upset with the Zerg retcon if, as mentioned in the video, it wasn't done nearly word-for-word about a decade earlier with the Orcs in Warcraft 3. Like, the only difference I can think of is that there's no direct counterpart in Warcraft 3 to Mengsk. But yeah, Metzen may be a decent artist, but dear lord does he suck as a writer.

What retcon are we talking about? I don't remember most of the fall of auir too clearly and I never played any Warcraft games besides the first one and WoW

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I could even handle corruption plots if they focused on a gradual ideological corruption. You know, like how we use the term in real life. Instead it has to be physically manifest as some kind of magic venom. It's just gross as gently caress that he thinks this is interesting.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

The Door Frame posted:

What retcon are we talking about? I don't remember most of the fall of auir too clearly and I never played any Warcraft games besides the first one and WoW

If he's talking about the Starcraft retcon then it's referring to the fact that the Zerg were created by the Xel'naga to be the perfect organisms (or something) and the Overmind grew so strong that it grew its own independence and broke free and destroyed the Xel'naga.

If he's referring to the Warcraft retcon I don't think there was one, in Warcraft III the big thing with the Orcs is that they are less bloodthirsty because they were cut off from Draenor after the dark portal was destroyed at the end of Warcraft II and so they go back to their shaman roots. The whole thing with the Orc campaign in III is focusing on the juxtaposition of the demonic ways, represented by Grom Hellscream, and the old naturalistic ways brought about through Thrall being the new warchief.

I say it isn't a retcon because I'm pretty sure both the Warcraft and Warcraft II manuals document how the Orcs weren't always bloodthirsty and their Shamans got corrupted by demons and things spiraled from there. I don't know if corrupted is the right word to use to describe it but yeah I'm pretty sure that has always been the way the Orcs were written

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I still think it's pretty silly that the Overmind (described in the StarCraft 1 manual as a collective zerg consciousness created by the Xel'naga) is in fact a single physical entity that can be ripped apart by ancient Protoss brain magic.

If I recall correctly, the old manual also described all the Protoss equipment as being built in extremely elaborate and ancient factories on their homeworld, to be warped to their final destinations as needed- they're incapable of actually building things on-site. This idea completely falls apart over the course of the SC1 campaign because there are tons of instances where it makes no logical sense for the executor or other characters to be allowed to access said remote factories. I guess the Protoss don't give a crap about IT security?

Point being even the first game played things pretty fast and loose with the fluff.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Aces High posted:

If he's talking about the Starcraft retcon then it's referring to the fact that the Zerg were created by the Xel'naga to be the perfect organisms (or something) and the Overmind grew so strong that it grew its own independence and broke free and destroyed the Xel'naga.

That's the original fluff, and it was pretty decent (pure in essence but not in body). The new stuff in HoTS they retconned it with is way shittier.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Well, the gameplay and plot are quite disconnected. I think my favorite are all the "badass" bits about "those guys are the best of the best, it takes 20 years of training and even then only the survivors" and what you get on the battlefield, stomping under your miniature scale battlecruiser, is a chaff unit that'll die like any other and that you have precisely zero hurdles spewing out.

There was also the possibility that the protoss don't actually understand anything to the IT security of their old factories they don't understand either.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SIGSEGV posted:

There was also the possibility that the protoss don't actually understand anything to the IT security of their old factories they don't understand either.

You never actually see the labor caste of the protoss in either game, so I assumed in SC1 that you were getting units and structures warped in from the factories and forces sympathetic to you.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

SIGSEGV posted:

From what I remember of SC1 Protoss stuff, they were all connected psionically, so having a large [player led] splinter faction was something that had never happened in Protoss history since the khala, so they would have no reason to disallow warping stuff.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Aces High posted:

If he's referring to the Warcraft retcon I don't think there was one, in Warcraft III the big thing with the Orcs is that they are less bloodthirsty because they were cut off from Draenor after the dark portal was destroyed at the end of Warcraft II and so they go back to their shaman roots. The whole thing with the Orc campaign in III is focusing on the juxtaposition of the demonic ways, represented by Grom Hellscream, and the old naturalistic ways brought about through Thrall being the new warchief.

I say it isn't a retcon because I'm pretty sure both the Warcraft and Warcraft II manuals document how the Orcs weren't always bloodthirsty and their Shamans got corrupted by demons and things spiraled from there. I don't know if corrupted is the right word to use to describe it but yeah I'm pretty sure that has always been the way the Orcs were written
I got confused and was referring to Heart of the Swarm stuff. My bad.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Just forget Heart of the Swarm has a plot at all and bask in the warm glow of any given thing Abathur says. Especially when you realize he's Steve Blum doing an actual voice that doesn't sound like Steve Blum.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I was voicing my disappointment with Heart of the Swarm to a friend and he kept saying that it wasn't as bad as I was thinking. I mean I haven't played it personally but I have watched two playthroughs and it was waaaaaaaay dumber than Wings of Liberty. However I'm bad with words so I couldn't really describe what it was I had a problem with so it just turned into a "well, that's just, like, your opinion man" disagreement

I mean, I'll be honest I have friends that absolutely love Star Trek Voyager sooooo I just have weird friends v:v:v

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Save the colony, it's been a while since you fought the Protoss.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Tenebrais posted:

Metzen can literally only write corruption plots.

With an uncomfortable level of masturbation to them, too.

Save the Colony. No 40k zombie-apocalypse wanking on my watch!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Loxbourne posted:

With an uncomfortable level of masturbation to them, too.

To be fair, I can kind of understand his stated reasoning behind the orc and zerg retcons: Metzen isn't entirely comfortable with a one hundred percent, universally evil race like the orcs and zerg were at first, and he thinks that makes them one-dimensional. I don't think he's handled changing that well, but I can understand where he's coming from.

Save the colony because there isn't enough TvP in this campaign.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
Save the Colony. No particular reason, I just tossed a coin.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

Cythereal posted:

Save the colony because there isn't enough TvP in this campaign.

Sounds good to me. Save the colony.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!
Purge the colony.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
There is one thing I do like about the revelations in this mission, which is that it allows the existence of Kerrigan as Zerg superhero-queen make some actual sense.

See, the backstory of why the Zerg attacked the Terrans in the first place was (iirc) that they needed to improve their psionic ability before taking on the Protoss, and since humans are latent psychics, eating them seemed like a good way to do that. Except, this never panned out, as far as I can tell. Kerrigan spent the whole Zerg campaign on Char and the Overmind conquered Aiur anyway, no help from her. Even given the usual fluff/mechanics disconnect, it was especially jarring that what you got from infesting Terrans wasn't some neat humanoid semi-intelligent caster unit but a big proto-baneling.

So, if Kerrigan, Queen of Blades (I still think this name is dumb as gently caress and cringe every time someone says it) was actually made as an ace-in-the-hole for a longer-term plan, then infesting her makes more sense, at the small expense of ignoring the apparent actual goals of the Zerg in the first game (eat humans to be better able to eat Protoss and become the perfect organic entity).

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Synastren posted:

From what I remember of SC1 Protoss stuff, they were all connected psionically, so having a large [player led] splinter faction was something that had never happened in Protoss history since the khala, so they would have no reason to disallow warping stuff.

Imagine a Zealot suddenly being warped into an (enemy) splinter faction, finding his friend on the other faction. I don't think he'll obey the leaders of his enemy faction at all.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

This also reminds me that the heroes of the storm team actually does openly make fun of some of the especially dumb poo poo in the characters' backstories and designs in the things they say if clicked on too much. For example, Kerrigan questions the evolutionary advantages of high heels.

Though to be fair the HotS team is literally the SC2 team so they're really making fun of themselves.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 6, 2014

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the Xelnaga messing with the Zerg. Are they even mentioned in WoL outside of the artifacts? And speaking of mentions, does Duran ever get mentioned again? His secret mission is kind of a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Or was anyways

Feinne posted:

This also reminds me that the heroes of the storm team actually does openly make fun of some of the especially dumb poo poo in the characters' backstories and designs in the things they say if clicked on too much. For example, Kerrigan questions the evolutionary advantages of high heels.

It doesn't matter how much Blizzard makes fun of it afterwards, the fact of the matter is that they still did it with a straight face at first

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The Door Frame posted:

And speaking of mentions, does Duran ever get mentioned again? His secret mission is kind of a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Or was anyways

It does in one of the missions the thread is currently ignoring in this vote, in a just referencing it sort of way. They play with it more in HoTS although you can guess the quality of that from general discussion on the quality of HoTS's plot in general.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Eh, the part of HotS where Duran is referenced again in some way is one of the least awful parts of its plot (not saying much) because they don't really hit you over the head with a thing.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

As long as he is still a unsettling weirdo, I'm in. I always hated him as a kid since his infected voice creeped me out, then when I was old/good enough to actually get his mission, I realized that he was one of the best parts of the BW story. Second only to Stukov, of course.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

As long as he is still a unsettling weirdo, I'm in. I always hated him as a kid since his infected voice creeped me out, then when I was old/good enough to actually get his mission, I realized that he was one of the best parts of the BW story. Second only to Stukov, of course.
He is, but it's more in an awkward way.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Door Frame posted:

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the Xelnaga messing with the Zerg. Are they even mentioned in WoL outside of the artifacts? And speaking of mentions, does Duran ever get mentioned again? His secret mission is kind of a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Or was anyways

It doesn't matter how much Blizzard makes fun of it afterwards, the fact of the matter is that they still did it with a straight face at first

What do you mean, outside of the artifacts? The artifacts are one of the most important plot elements in the whole of WoL!

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Protect the Colony

By default, I go with all the choices that let you keep a character on the ship.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Torrannor posted:

What do you mean, outside of the artifacts? The artifacts are one of the most important plot elements in the whole of WoL!

The artifacts are just mcguffins and don't really help us understand the Xelnaga besides "the protoss think they're sacred", which we already knew. Hell, the BW crystals were at least kind of explained, for the artifacts, we just get a bunch of nothing

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Duran, like all the other elements of WoL and HotS, is introduced and then completely loving wasted as a story element within 30 seconds.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

the first time I played BW (and since I was a child and had no patience) I just cheated on the first Terran mission because I didn't want to waste time looking for a geyser. The next map they have Duran in the cutscenes as if he's now a part of the regular team and I'm like "who the gently caress is this guy, where did he come from :confused:". The copies of Starcraft and BW I got were the Battlechest versions so I got the strategy guides with them, so I checked to find out what the gently caress I missed, huh turns out if you explore you find Duran's base :downs:

Also Stukov was a pretty cool guy in BW and he and the mutation-obsessed zerg were probably the highlights of Kerrigan's between-mission dialogues

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Abathur is like the one good thing about Heart of the Swarm. And I liked Dehaka.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Star Man posted:

Abathur is like the one good thing about Heart of the Swarm. And I liked Dehaka.

All of Kerrigan's supporting cast is good, or at least inoffensive. Which is more than can be said for the actual protagonist of the game. :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Star Man posted:

ESSENCE!

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Burn the colony to the ground

Because I like the result of it. Plus, you can only truly defeat Zerg with the cleansing touch of fire (or by ramming a Carrier into it).

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

We don't need no infestation let that motherfucker burn.

GKirby
Jun 19, 2008

I DID IT ALL FOR THE GAMBIT
I was going to vote for Cutthroat, but since that's not going to win, I say Purify the Colony!

GKirby
Jun 19, 2008

I DID IT ALL FOR THE GAMBIT
edit: sorry, double post some how. Have some Kerrigan/Zeratul fanart I found on Google just now.

GKirby fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Cythereal posted:

All of Kerrigan's supporting cast is good, or at least inoffensive. Which is more than can be said for the actual protagonist of the game. :v:

Organism Abathur in agreement with statement. Concern over unneeded qualifiers. Inefficient.

• Locked thread