Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

if you want you can submit to the tviv megapoll i co-run every year here so i can look at your polls and shake my head and laugh at all the terrible sci-fi the people itt watch

i will be smug as poo poo while laughing, my arms slightly folded; there'll probs be that look of "oh, you" of knowing, yet slightly friendly, condescension

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

MrAristocrates posted:

Attack the Block is a perfect loving movie.

yes, yes it is. And furthermore, I have noticed the people that hate it are almost universally white privilege cryptoracist douches. I have heard the main characters referred to as thugs. Some people were indignant that a film would dare make teenage criminal punks into heroes.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

if you want you can submit to the tviv megapoll i co-run every year here so i can look at your polls and shake my head and laugh at all the terrible sci-fi the people itt watch

i will be smug as poo poo while laughing, my arms slightly folded; there'll probs be that look of "oh, you" of knowing, yet slightly friendly, condescension

Is there a point at which suddenly your calm demeanour is ruptured when someone points out a set of tardis cuff links, or perhaps a themed mug... the house of cards falling down as your high horse is removed cast into the very people you mock? I mean you have un-ironically given this show multiple A's.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

And not even always for the actually good episodes

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Stormgale posted:

Is there a point at which suddenly your calm demeanour is ruptured when someone points out a set of tardis cuff links, or perhaps a themed mug... the house of cards falling down as your high horse is removed cast into the very people you mock?

No, because then I set off the bomb collar.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

No, because then I set off the bomb collar.

That would certainly be your Call, I mean it is your Duty to keep him in check.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Stormgale posted:

That would certainly be your Call, I mean it is your Duty to keep him in check.

Yeah, it's my collar duty.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Press X to Post Puns in thread.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
Re watching stolen earth/journey's end. Turns out they're super good, as opposed to essentially eighty percent of RTD who. I can't imagine being disappointed by these eps, even still. They are utterly insane/amazing.

Literally the doctor says "I saw you fly into the jaws of the nightmare child"

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Stormgale posted:

Press X to Post Puns in thread.

x

E: I don't think it worked

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

In case this wasn't posted yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxcMCr_lA7M

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

I see your beedeer and raise you...

This bit of masterpiece.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Jsor posted:

x

E: I don't think it worked

Well I suppose you might feel cross about that.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Random Stranger posted:

Hartnell-Doctor was a pretty crappy pilot. The first season was essentially, "Sorry Barbara and Ian, hm, I can't steer this thing well enough to get you home. Hm." They had to steal a Dalek time machine that could be steered in order to return to modern day (well, 1965) London. Troughton, I recall, managed to steer it a few times, but it was once Pertwee got pardoned that the show let him go where he wanted.

It's funny because while I don't exactly disagree, the pilot's one of the few episodes of the classic series I genuinely like and can watch over and over. Everything else, tediously drawn out dreck bar Genesis, which fascinates me to this day.

Anyway, Alien owns, Aliens owns, Die Hard owns, Terminator 2 is a great action film but an absolute garbage follow-up to the perfect original. Merry Christmas!

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Sentinel Red posted:

It's funny because while I don't exactly disagree, the pilot's one of the few episodes of the classic series I genuinely like and can watch over and over. Everything else, tediously drawn out dreck bar Genesis, which fascinates me to this day.

Anyway, Alien owns, Aliens owns, Die Hard owns, Terminator 2 is a great action film but an absolute garbage follow-up to the perfect original. Merry Christmas!

Wrong meaning of the word pilot

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sentinel Red posted:

No wonder you don't like old Who if you can't even be bothered to read the whole of a very short post :v:

Toxxupation posted:

2014 only? Still voting for Lexx 10 times

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That's the thing, in a vacuum Aliens is a solid action flick with a badass female hero. It's the connection to Alien that really damages it.

Lose the connection to Alien and you kneecap the central theme, unless you replace it with an alien that operates in a very similar manner with a similar undertone of sexual violence. Aliens has a whole lot more going on than just being "a solid action flick with a badass female hero".

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Lose the connection to Alien and you kneecap the central theme, unless you replace it with an alien that operates in a very similar manner with a similar undertone of sexual violence. Aliens has a whole lot more going on than just being "a solid action flick with a badass female hero".

Ever seen Geiger's book of designs for the Aliens series? If you think the stuff that went into the films was sexual, ooooh boy.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

Terminator 2 is a great action film but an absolute garbage follow-up to the perfect original. Merry Christmas!

Oh no you don't motherfucker, you don't get to just drop that and run. in what way is T2 garbage compared to T1

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it doesn't have garbage shots of a totally not-believable rubber face double and lovely suspension of disbelief shattering stop-motion, so it's waaay too scary

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

Activision has always been after our pocket money anyways. Their own franchise is just a carbon-copy process degrading to the point where it's cool to hate COD. And Destiny too.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Today, at best buy, as I was buying far cry, I looked on the shelf and they had a blu ray collection of Matt smiths time as the doctor for 110 dollars

I held it in my hands

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, why DIDN'T you buy it? :confused:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, why DIDN'T you buy it? :confused:

He didn't say he didn't

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Well at first i was going to but then i realized i shouldn't buy overpriced derivative european garbage so i bought far cry 4 instead

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Did anyone tell you the definition of insanity?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
He didn't. Occ isn't that calamitously stupid with his money unless Puzzles & Dragons is involved.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

When does the Matt Smith -athon begin? January?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah, the 3rd we're doin a watchathon in irc

i should really edit Zags' post into the op

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
January 3rd, Regy Rusty's doing a commemorative simulwatch. His post is in here someplace.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Toxxupation posted:

Today, at best buy, as I was buying far cry, I looked on the shelf and they had a blu ray collection of Matt smiths time as the doctor for 110 dollars

I held it in my hands

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME

To hold in my hand, a DVD Box set that contained such power...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

Well at first i was going to but then i realized i shouldn't buy overpriced derivative european garbage so i bought far cry 4 instead

ironicat.jpg

This joke only works if the Far Cry games are still made by CryTek which I can't be bothered to check

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

ironicat.jpg

This joke only works if the Far Cry games are still made by CryTek which I can't be bothered to check

It's made by Ubisoft. Most definitely intentional irony there.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

It's made by Ubisoft. Most definitely intentional irony there.
Toxxidation just wasted his time and cash then. He has made a huge mistake trusting Ubisoft and NOT Moffat!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Grouchio posted:

Toxxidation just wasted his time and cash then. He has made a huge mistake trusting Ubisoft and NOT Moffat!

There are cheaper ways of getting into Moffat. Coupling (uk) and Jekyll boxes usually go for really cheap.
Sherlock doesn't break the bank either with their 3(!) episode seasons.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

adhuin posted:

There are cheaper ways of getting into Moffat. Coupling (uk) and Jekyll boxes usually go for really cheap.
Sherlock doesn't break the bank either with their 3(!) episode seasons.

What about Press Gang?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Would you say he wasted moffat stacks of cash not buying it?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

BSam posted:

What about Press Gang?

Goddamn you BSAM! You got my hopes up about _Steven_ Moffat-series I haven't seen yet. :argh:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

I held it in my hands

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME

Yeah, what is wrong you? Why would you ever go into a Best Buy?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

adhuin posted:

Goddamn you BSAM! You got my hopes up about _Steven_ Moffat-series I haven't seen yet. :argh:

What do you mean? It's the same guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Normally this is a pretty agreeable sentiment by sheer force of how badly Ubisoft has been dropping the ball.

But Far Cry has been this special little gem, between 3, Blood Dragon and, from what I've seen and heard, 4. It's apparently immune to the problems of their other big titles.

• Locked thread