Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
You do realize that the reason they don't do that is that they fear anything but a white main character will hurt their profit, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

e X posted:

You do realize that the reason they don't do that is that they fear anything but a white main character will hurt their profit, right?

Yes.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I know that I'd be cool with it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Batman sort of has "rich white dude" tattooed on him though (unless he was adopted).

Superman you could do as a Latino and the parallels would put X-Men to shame.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
SEE

LATINOS IN SPACE

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Batman's middle name is Géza.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

computer parts posted:

Batman sort of has "rich white dude" tattooed on him though (unless he was adopted).

Superman you could do as a Latino and the parallels would put X-Men to shame.

Originally Superman was an immigrant story, so yeah, that fits just fine. That fact that he had dark hair, compared to the Blonde action-men of the time, was a huge deal.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Speaking of Batman, do they have any plans to bring him into The Flash and Arrow plots at some point, or is he going to be reserved specifically for blockbuster movies? We have seen a few vague/hidden references to Wayne Enterprises but I can't tell if it's foreshadowing.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

They're not allowed to use him at all.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Oracle posted:

They're not allowed to use him at all.

The return of the Bat Embargo?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Flash can go the super-science route, Arrow should get all the magic stuff (write in Zatanna)

I'd say Flash get's Superman's position in a B-Trinity which is all about superscience instead of space stuff. Ollie gets Batman's spot which includes international crime, street level stuff and darker, subtler magical things. Whoever gets the third part would get Wonder Woman's somewhat ill defined piece which is more DCU mythos and magic and include the more epic fantasy stuff. Short list: Hawkgirl/woman, Wonder Girl (no connection to Wonder Woman), Mary Marvel (or however they want to name her), Raven (there was a pilot in the works iirc), or just make a character like Dr. Fate or Klarion a girl

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Xelkelvos posted:

I'd say Flash get's Superman's position in a B-Trinity which is all about superscience instead of space stuff. Ollie gets Batman's spot which includes international crime, street level stuff and darker, subtler magical things. Whoever gets the third part would get Wonder Woman's somewhat ill defined piece which is more DCU mythos and magic and include the more epic fantasy stuff. Short list: Hawkgirl/woman, Wonder Girl (no connection to Wonder Woman), Mary Marvel (or however they want to name her), Raven (there was a pilot in the works iirc), or just make a character like Dr. Fate or Klarion a girl

I'm fine with giving Supergirl Wonder Woman's spot in the Trini-B (tm)

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Xelkelvos posted:

Or just make a Zatanna show and go full-on magic/mysticism with it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm honestly surprised that the Raven show never got off the ground (:rimshot:). It's easily the most CW concept out of any DC thing.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Krad posted:

Things I didn't know I wanted until they were brought up include

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Krad posted:

That would actually be genuinely kickass, and would make a nice counterpart to Constantine's delving into the darker side of the DCU's mystic side. Zatanna is more of an all-around tone kinda character, and its easy to explain why she doesn't solve everything at once - you try coming up with backwards sentences on the fly - whilst also giving her the power to solve most plots in the end. Plus hey, give a semi-obscure female superhero her own show.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
But then Paul Dini's boner would be so big it crushes LA.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I can't believe none of y'all are bringing up the actual best choice. Traci 13.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Astro Nut posted:

That would actually be genuinely kickass, and would make a nice counterpart to Constantine's delving into the darker side of the DCU's mystic side. Zatanna is more of an all-around tone kinda character, and its easy to explain why she doesn't solve everything at once - you try coming up with backwards sentences on the fly - whilst also giving her the power to solve most plots in the end. Plus hey, give a semi-obscure female superhero her own show.

She's too powerful. Paul Dini loves her so much he married a simulacrum of her and even he couldn't squeeze out more than 2 or so episodes with her in it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

bunnyofdoom posted:

But then Paul Dini's boner would be so big it crushes LA.

Dini is already married to Actual Factual Zatanna, he's fine.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

boom boom boom posted:

I can't believe none of y'all are bringing up the actual best choice. Traci 13.

:( I think Traci was planned to appear on Constantine. Which might never ever happen.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm fine with giving Supergirl Wonder Woman's spot in the Trini-B (tm)

I don't see why Supergirl wouldn't effectively be the Superman component. In general, a direct Superman / Batman / Wonder Woman trinity doesn't seem like it applies, honestly.

Arrow is certainly Batman, definitely. But although Flash is super, his idiom is more a DC take on Spider-Man. His story is about confronting adulthood, forming his identity, learning how to reign in his juvenile enthusiasm in a way that helps society. This version of Barry is emotionally vulnerable, child-like, arrogant, and in constant need of mentors. He's Peter Parker, not Clark Kent.

And sure, Flash does pick up the "Pandora's Box" nature of superpowers from Man of Steel, but Barry is hardly the only metahuman or even the only heroic one. He's not special because of his powers, but because of his compulsive moral sense to use them for good...choice, responsibility, straight up Uncle Ben poo poo.

Supergirl is an alien, so she picks up the cautionary tale of Krypton stuff, the immigrant stuff, and the cosmic mythology stuff. But also, she's always been super, so it'd probably be less about reigning in her powers as agonizing about when and why she should intervene. Which is part Wonder Woman and part Superman.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Xealot posted:

I don't see why Supergirl wouldn't effectively be the Superman component. In general, a direct Superman / Batman / Wonder Woman trinity doesn't seem like it applies, honestly.

Arrow is certainly Batman, definitely. But although Flash is super, his idiom is more a DC take on Spider-Man. His story is about confronting adulthood, forming his identity, learning how to reign in his juvenile enthusiasm in a way that helps society. This version of Barry is emotionally vulnerable, child-like, arrogant, and in constant need of mentors. He's Peter Parker, not Clark Kent.

And sure, Flash does pick up the "Pandora's Box" nature of superpowers from Man of Steel, but Barry is hardly the only metahuman or even the only heroic one. He's not special because of his powers, but because of his compulsive moral sense to use them for good...choice, responsibility, straight up Uncle Ben poo poo.

For what it's worth, Wonder Woman is the least defined in the Trinity so filling in a thematic third to go alongside a Batman analogue and a Superman analogue is actually a difficult thing depending on the bounds involved since the things that make her distinct in the Trinity is that she's female, has the closest association to magic of the three and has the lowest requirements to meet before actually taking a villain's life. Queen Mera could probably fill in that role just as well (I'm also a little sad that Aquaman pilot never got off of the ground).

Replace Uncle Ben with Pa Kent and you've got the same thing with Superman though. Also, your description also describes Superman when he was young and sometimes teaming up with the Legion of Superheroes.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think Flash is the Superman analogue in this...analogue...at the moment because he's the "first" of the bona fide godlike superhumans, kicking off an entirely new frontier for the world as they know it, and is doing so in a very bright, light, heroic, inspirational manner (in theory). It's a little too early at this point to see if Supergirl will fit that mold; if it's just about her being an alien and bringing aliens into the mythos, well, even someone like Green Lantern could fill that niche, and arguably better. There's so much more to being an alt-Superman than being an alien, which is why Captain America is often touted as the Marvel alt-Superman, after all.

And on the other hand, the whole idea of Supergirl being the fish out of water, newly-arrived to this strange mundane world from her old fantastical alien world, with radical ideas and notions about how things should be, and obviously with her being a girl in a playground of dudes, gives her a hint of Wonder Woman's persona. It's also too early to see if this ends up really being the case, of course, but for now it's interesting to see them fitting these square pegs into...semi-squarish holes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's also the Krypton show in development which if they were smart could crossover with Supergirl and allow them to save money on sets.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Ugghhg, mouth-vomit. Please let that show die in the womb, or else I've got my work cut out for me pretending it doesn't exist.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Astro Nut posted:

A Zatanna show like that seems like a slam dunk. I always thought DC's magic stuff was some of its best. If it's an origin story you can limit her powers as she's learning, a la Young Justice or something

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I like the idea of a female Dr. Fate.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

There's also the Krypton show in development which if they were smart could crossover with Supergirl and allow them to save money on sets.

I think this trend is great. Gothams focus is on Gordon and Bullock (i.e once removed from batman). This Krypton show is apparently going to focus on Jor-Els father (twice removed from superman).

Eventually we're going to get a show set on Oa following the great-grand father of the guy who will eventually harness the force of will power and form the green lanterns.

EDIT: Oa will look strangely similar to Canada.

MrFlibble fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 9, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ten bucks says Sieg-El or whatever his name is ends up on 1900's Earth within 3 episodes and gets stuck there for the whole season.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Xelkelvos posted:

Replace Uncle Ben with Pa Kent and you've got the same thing with Superman though.

In some versions, definitely. Hilariously, Man of Steel positions him as the anti-Ben. His entire argument is that Clark shouldn't use his powers to save people, because he should worry more about himself. The thematic arc is backwards; Clark has to reject his adoptive father's lesson, to be the hero he was meant to be.

There is such an element of destiny to Superman. Kal-El is born to be a hero; it's inherited. What I like from classic Spider-Man is that Peter Parker isn't that way; he's just some guy. His powers are literally accidental, yet it happened and now he exists. Adding a predestination angle to the recent Spider-Man movie really annoyed me.

Flash is weird because it's saying both things. The lightning "chose" Barry, and Wells has built his entire cosmological worldview around this event before it even happened, but also it was a freak accident that targeted Barry and dozens of others by pure chance. The Flash was never meant to exist, but does, but maybe always was supposed to, and kind of always existed, because time travel. It's complicated.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Burning_Monk posted:

Originally Superman was an immigrant story, so yeah, that fits just fine. That fact that he had dark hair, compared to the Blonde action-men of the time, was a huge deal.

This. Remember the early comic book industry was very, very heavy with Jewish creators.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Xealot posted:

There is such an element of destiny to Superman. Kal-El is born to be a hero; it's inherited. What I like from classic Spider-Man is that Peter Parker isn't that way; he's just some guy. His powers are literally accidental, yet it happened and now he exists. Adding a predestination angle to the recent Spider-Man movie really annoyed me.

Flash is weird because it's saying both things. The lightning "chose" Barry, and Wells has built his entire cosmological worldview around this event before it even happened, but also it was a freak accident that targeted Barry and dozens of others by pure chance. The Flash was never meant to exist, but does, but maybe always was supposed to, and kind of always existed, because time travel. It's complicated.

Yeah Flash is definitely not filling a spiderman role. Spiderman is very much about a person who was neither prepared for not had any interest in managing the power he got his hands on. He then goes and is a shitlord with those powers not really taking them with any level of seriousness and it gets someone he cares about killed before he starts to look at what he can do with his power as more something that he is responsible for using to help people.

Flash on the other hand is an idealist who looks to try and make the world a better place and tries to believe in things beyond human understanding. He's chosen by the speed force to realised that ideal and help people from the kind of rampant power that other people are not going to be so altruistic about. Hes very much a character that seems to be being built up as a symbol for what all people should inspire to be.

Spiderman always came off as the superhero who was very much one of the people while the way they are presenting the flash is much more like the superman setup of being much more than a mere man and stood above everyone else.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the comics Barry is so chosen that the lightning bolt that hits and gives him powers is Barry himself converted to energy.

They probably won't do that in the show.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Aphrodite posted:

In the comics Barry is so chosen that the lightning bolt that hits and gives him powers is Barry himself converted to energy.

They probably won't do that in the show.

I always thought that was awesome, but only as a bookend kind of thing.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

I always thought that was awesome, but only as a bookend kind of thing.

Wells is actually the speedforce made manifest. Confirmed.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Wells is actually the Black Flash.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

e X posted:

Wells is actually the Black Flash.

No, that's Diggle.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Whizbang posted:

No, that's Diggle.

Nah, he is the Black Racer!

e X fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 9, 2014

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Green Lantern*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

A Zatanna show like that seems like a slam dunk. I always thought DC's magic stuff was some of its best. If it's an origin story you can limit her powers as she's learning, a la Young Justice or something

If she's learning, why not play to CW's audience and make her a teenager? Maybe include something about her dad not wanting her to do magic because of some past trauma but is still proud that she's doing good so is conflicted, get some drama out of that, maybe she has an on and off relationship with a sexy ethnic teenage boy who's also a superhero, but totally accepted by his parents, you could get a lot of good drama mileage out of that. Maybe she has a friend who's black and has an iron man suit, that would own.

Traci 13 is the obvious choice for a show!!!!

• Locked thread