Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gough Suppressant posted:

While I really would enjoy seeing Abbott kicked down by his own party, I'd prefer he remain the leader because that is the surest way of getting the lot of them out of power next election.

Or how about he gets replaced, the party still continues on its downward slide and they pull him out again in the last few weeks to the election? Wait thats a stupid plan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Changing leaders would be a hilariously stupid thing for them to do. Bring it on.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Labor waste brought us 3 leaders in 2 terms. The Libs should at least ry to up the efficiency by bringing us more leaders in fewer terms.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Amethyst posted:

Changing leaders would be a hilariously stupid thing for them to do. Bring it on.

They have three options and all are terrible:

1. Keep the status quo and try to grit teeth force your way through, this would work if it was public opinion alone or cross bencher obfuscation alone but not both.

2. Replace the leader, have a bounce (and a probable cabinet reshuffle) with a new leader (in addition to Julie there was rumours Abbott is trying to keep Warren Truss around because, despite ill health, if he goes the Deputy Leader becomes Barnaby Joyce who is also looking at Tony's job). The issue of course being that this officially makes them "no better than Labor" and no amount of circumstances have changed will convince the public of that when the circumstance was that they went back on every promise they had.

3. Cabinet reshuffle, which is being rumoured with most heavily Joe Hockey being bounced for Malcolm Turnbull and Scott Morrison over to take over the Defence portfolio. This too is a poor idea as it requires a complete restart of the government and is sure to piss off some people in his cabinet depending on what he does. Hell given it's Tony he might send Julie Bishop to the backbench.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I can't see them not having a small reshuffle. They've got no Assistant Treasurer, Johnston's poo poo, and it'd give them an opportunity to promote a few people (especially some women).

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Lid posted:

3. Cabinet reshuffle, which is being rumoured with most heavily Joe Hockey being bounced for Malcolm Turnbull and Scott Morrison over to take over the Defence portfolio. This too is a poor idea as it requires a complete restart of the government and is sure to piss off some people in his cabinet depending on what he does. Hell given it's Tony he might send Julie Bishop to the backbench.

I hope this happens, because the cabinet leaking like a sieve at the minute, is going to become a loving hose if that happens.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Sending Bishop to the backbench would be a very Julia Gillard thing to do.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Seems perfect to have an Abbott facing off against a Bishop. Could even have a cartoon of it drawn by a Pope.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
I really don't think a change of leaders would cause the damage that the Rudd/Gillard switch did.

There's already a bit of clearing the ground for a leadership change, with comments like 'changing leaders is fine if it's done right' (I've heard some softening of the issue on insiders and 7:30). The primary reason it was such a mess last time was it being blown up on every media front, and every time the wind changed 'LEADERSHIP BACKSTABBING' was on the front pages. You could have both Gillard and Rudd saying flatly 'there's nothing happening', with Rudd saying 'I'm not looking to challenge' and it'd still be the headline for a good week.

Without the media frenzy I think Bishop could quite easily slide into the leadership spot and the thing would be painted over as a 'responsible move to suit the mess labour left us in' as well as 'a progressive move in having a female leader, showing how modern and progressive the libs really are'.

I would love for it to tank the LNP even more, but I honestly think it would be a mild bump followed by steady recovery towards the next election. It would be A Bad Thing.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010
http://highered.xyz/ is worth a look.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Sanguine posted:

I really don't think a change of leaders would cause the damage that the Rudd/Gillard switch did.

There's already a bit of clearing the ground for a leadership change, with comments like 'changing leaders is fine if it's done right' (I've heard some softening of the issue on insiders and 7:30). The primary reason it was such a mess last time was it being blown up on every media front, and every time the wind changed 'LEADERSHIP BACKSTABBING' was on the front pages. You could have both Gillard and Rudd saying flatly 'there's nothing happening', with Rudd saying 'I'm not looking to challenge' and it'd still be the headline for a good week.

Without the media frenzy I think Bishop could quite easily slide into the leadership spot and the thing would be painted over as a 'responsible move to suit the mess labour left us in' as well as 'a progressive move in having a female leader, showing how modern and progressive the libs really are'.

I would love for it to tank the LNP even more, but I honestly think it would be a mild bump followed by steady recovery towards the next election. It would be A Bad Thing.

Abbott will not go quietly. He is a student politician through and through.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lid posted:

Then a few days later Tony added on Andrew Robb without explanation, which has actually pissed off Robb as not only does he go to a conference on a subject he doesn't believe in (alongside things like reality) but that while he was in South America at the time touring for trade meetings now he has to make a large schedule adjustment to several trade meetings just so he can go to Peru, where he is unwanted, to prevent Bishop from doing anything, who doesn't want him to be there.

Don't you think it odd that no one mentions Hunt at all and no one's even surprised by that? MSM silent on the issue, but a twitterer went and asked the Department and got this answer:

quote:

@MSMWatchdog2013 @ewe2 @jackinbocks2025 @GregHuntMP's office categorically told me they could not tell me if he was going "due to security reasons". Pfffft.

quote:

@MSMWatchdog2013 @ewe2 @jackinbocks2025 @GregHuntMP Yep.They were quite tetchy when I asked a simple question i.e. "Is Hunt going to Lima?" Weird & paranoid.

"security reasons" being "we're not allowed to embarrass the Minister who was told to shut up when he asked why he couldn't go" and I'm guessing that's the line they sold the MSM which went "oh fine".

Sanguine posted:

No. Bishop isn't that stupid. She didn't get to be deputy to several different leaders without brains.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 9, 2014

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

ewe2 posted:

Don't you think it odd that no one mentions Hunt at all and no one's even surprised by that? MSM silent on the issue, but a twitterer went and asked the Department and got this answer:

"security reasons" being "we're not allowed to embarrass the Minister who was told to shut up when he asked why he couldn't go" and I'm guessing that's the line they sold the MSM which went "oh fine".
We could be told that every head of state in the world was going to be in Brisbane for the G20. But it's dangerous to know if the Australian environment minister is or is not going to a world climate summit.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Lid posted:

Abbott will not go quietly. He is a student politician through and through.

Yeah, Tony Abbotts death throes would make Rudd look like Washington refusing to stand for a third term.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Admitting they have a minister for the environment is tantamount to having a policy on the environment, so it should be obvious why they try not to talk about Hunt.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I think they want to keep Hunt away from climate conferences for fear of him having a relapse and thinking climate change is real again.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Well I hope Abbott goes completely off the rails. He still needs to get air time and in the press, and even if the media ignore the rest of the LNP for his sake I'd not be surprised if he looked too insane for anyone to take seriously. A few of those mouth-agape head-nodding moments and it'd look like a good thing he was shuffled out of the way, now the LNP can get on with the job unhindered!

I hope you're right, I do, but I worry. Things can get much worse from here.
:ohdear:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Sanguine posted:

I hope you're right, I do, but I worry. Things can get much worse from here.
:ohdear:

Scott Morrison PM and Immigration Minister. Get ready.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I remember that brief period of time where the media discussed Hunt as opposition leader after Tony failed in 2010.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I don't think changing leaders would really change the LNP dramatically or even for the best, and I don't think it'll even happen, but the prospect of the QT camera shifting over to a glum and sad Tony Abbott sitting up in some backbench corner is such an immensely satisfying conjuration I hope against hope it does indeed happen.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
The Honourable Chancellor of Australia, Overseer of the Border Islands, Morrison

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

^^
Not having a punt, unAustralian.

ewe2 posted:

Scott Morrison PM and Immigration Minister. Get ready.

and don't forget, Minister for Women.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Stop betting on yourself Sophie!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Maybe she'll pull a Newman and challenge outside parliament.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

ewe2 posted:

No. Bishop isn't that stupid. She didn't get to be deputy to several different leaders without brains.
OTOH, not pushing for it and letting the buffoons like Abbott self-destruct means it could quite easily fall into her lap, like Julia Gillard or Jim Hacker

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Cartoon posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-08/ill-fated-asylum-seeker-forced-to-wait-for-medical-transfer/5952756

Please note that this is a failure in precisely the system that Morrison has now legislated to include the fate of EVEN MORE people. Note also what happens when there is a problem. This is a dark cloud over a festering boil on our national character (One only hopes that it leads to a "life-threatening systemic infection").

Liberal party are lifting strategy wholesale from US HMOs.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

FFS Mirabella isn't even a sitting member.

Again, I think Bishop is smarter than this. They'd have to try and convince whoever steps in between now and the election that its for the good of the party and they'll get a nice thing later for it. That's the sort of thing a weak person would go for. I doubt even Malcolm would go for it. They'd do it to Greg Hunt or Peter Dutton maybe. The real sharks would bide their time.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

ewe2 posted:

FFS Mirabella isn't even a sitting member.

She's priced the same as Melbourne's chances of winning the 2015 AFL Premiership so that should give you some idea of how seriously Sportsbet regard Mirabella

http://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/australian-rules/afl/AFL-Premiership-Winner-2015-1553803.html

EDIT: Geez Brisbane might be worth a bet for the 8 now I look at it

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yes, our great leader. Julie Bishop

Julie Bishop will use climate talks in Peru to argue Great Barrier Reef is not in danger posted:

FOREIGN Minister Julie Bishop will use climate talks in Peru to argue the Great Barrier Reef isn’t in danger.
She’ll also warn UNESCO it’s at risk of being duped by activists.
Ms Bishop will lobby members of UNESCO’s World Heritage Committee not to list the reef as a World Heritage site in danger next year, saying this could set a dangerous precedent that could affect the home countries of committee members.
“Every country that has an environmental icon that activists seize upon would be at risk,” she will say, according to The Courier-Mail.
“There is no justification for an in-danger listing by the World Heritage Committee.” The World Heritage Committee will meet next June to decide whether to formally declare the reef as an asset in danger.
The conservation group WWF Australia says Ms Bishop’s position is disappointing, given Australia’s own scientists are saying the government’s efforts on reef protection are severely lacking.
“It’s very disappointing that our foreign minister is trying to frighten foreign governments, instead of Australia taking strong action,” WWF’s Great Barrier Reef coastal campaign manager Louise Matthiesson told AAP.
Australian reef expert Terry Hughes has said the Abbott government’s claim the reef is not in danger defies all available science.
The director of the Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies last month said there was a disconnect between the government’s position and what scientists across the globe are saying.
The government’s own reef outlook report, released earlier this year, found the reef is in poor condition and deteriorating, with climate change the primary threat, Prof Hughes said.

quote:

She’ll also warn UNESCO it’s at risk of being duped by activists.

It's a trick you see. A mere prank. You UNESCO folks fell for it hook, line and sinker

Anidav fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 9, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

hiddenmovement posted:

She's priced the same as Melbourne's chances of winning the 2015 AFL Premiership so that should give you some idea of how seriously Sportsbet regard Mirabella

http://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/australian-rules/afl/AFL-Premiership-Winner-2015-1553803.html

EDIT: Geez Brisbane might be worth a bet for the 8 now I look at it

Punching down isn't funny :(

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Today's Bizarro World entry comes from Michael Ronaldson, Minister for Veteran Affairs:

Yeah I know, Michael who? Is Credlin just giving up and going "sure Michael, that's kicking goals" and job-hunting now?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Hey Michael maybe you should get DVA the gently caress together before you start throwing stones you useless poo poo

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This guy knows what's up. But I'm still going for Morrison eventually. And here's the real problem:

quote:

Outside the inner circle, which is certain to be shaken up before long, only the parliamentary secretary to the prime minister, Josh Frydenberg, offers a gleam of talent for the future.

That is, if the front bench chumps fail, there's nothing. Only the neoliberal Obama might save them.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
I'm seeing the words "It's on" bandied about on Twitter a bit at present.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

http://theaustralian.com.au/news/ab...023ae612b22a0d6

quote:

CROSSBENCH senator Ricky Muir last week described his decision to back the Abbott Government’s draconian legislation on refugees and asylum seekers as “a choice between a bad option and a worse option”.

He was right and, with his vote, Australia is now effectively a rogue state when it comes to international law and respect for basic human rights.

With the passage of the Bill we have erased any references to our obligations under the United Nations Convention on Refugees. This was a document that emerged in the aftermath of the horrors of World War II, and one that Australia helped formulate.

In June this year the UNHCR released a report showing the number of refugees, asylum seekers and internally displaced people worldwide had, for the first time since WWII, topped
50 million people. Of these, 16.7 million people are classified as refugees.

In the face of this global crisis the response from Australia — one of the wealthiest nations on Earth — has been to cut our refugee resettlement intake from overseas and pass cruel, callous legislation that is arguably in breach of international law

We cage asylum seekers in what can only be described as tropical gulags — hellholes where disease, violence, depression and sexual assault festers — and refer to them as “illegal” even though they have committed no crime.

When Immigration Minister Scott Morrison and his supporters talk of “illegals” they are lying, in an effort to dehumanise and demonise. As Article 14 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights makes perfectly clear: “Everyone has the right to seek and to enjoy in other countries asylum from persecution.”

We deny refugees and asylum seekers fair and timely assessment and then when and if their claims have eventually been processed, we effectively deny them entry to Australia.

And bear in mind here that as of the latest figures available, about 70 per cent of the more than 2000 detainees languishing behind wire in the Manus Island and Nauru compounds who have had their claims processed have had positive determination of their refugee status.

For them there will be no resettlement here. They can languish on Nauru for a few years, possibly be resettled in Papua New Guinea — perhaps shipped off to that bastion of democracy and human rights known as Cambodia — or, for some, be offered a Temporary Protection Visa that may eventually see them shipped off to anywhere in the world of the minister’s choosing anyway.

It is a policy of deliberate cruelty perpetrated by both sides of politics, but taken to new — to use Senator Sarah Hanson-Young’s description — sociopathic depths by Morrison last week.

Morrison effectively used children in detention as pawns to blackmail his legislation through the Senate, saying to the likes of Muir: “Pass my Bill and I’ll release the kids.”

This ignores the fact that he (and Labor before him) has the power at any time to release those children. It is hard to imagine a more cynically exploitative abuse of process and human life, and this from a man who professes to be a Christian. And here it is a shame Muir and others didn’t stand firm and say “Release the children first, and then we’ll negotiate”.

With the passage of his Bill Morrison is now virtually omnipotent when it comes to unfettered — and unchecked — control over other people’s lives.

Asylum seekers arriving by boat will no longer have access to the Refugee Review Tribunal. Their cases will be considered on a “fast track” basis without even formal interviews and they are denied natural justice in the form of access to our courts, with any appeals instead being heard internally by Morrison’s department.

Morrison has the power to individually refuse refugee status on the nebulous grounds of “national interest” or “character”. He does not have to publish his reasons.

Worse, he has the power to deport people anywhere in the world, even if that places them at risk of torture. The relevant clause dictates that an unlawful non-citizen must be removed regardless: “It is irrelevant whether Australia has non-refoulement obligations in respect of an unlawful non-citizen.”

As the Law Council of Australia pointed out in a Senate Committee submission last month, “the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties requires States to implement their obligations in good faith and stipulates that a State may not invoke the provisions of internal law as a justification of its failure to perform its obligations under a treaty …”

The LCA also argues that the rule of law requires “Executive powers to be carefully defined by law, so that it is not up to the Executive to determine what powers it has, and how they should be used”, and “Executive decision-making to comply with the principles of natural justice and be subject to meaningful judicial review.”

Scratch that. What would a few lawyers know about justice?

It is tempting to argue for a royal commission to uncover the true horrors and abuse of law inherent in Australia’s maltreatment of the world’s most vulnerable, but given this government’s unilateral ruthlessness the findings would likely be ignored.

Future generations will look back on this dark period in Australian history with profound shame and regret. Many of us feel that way already.
I just don't know anymore

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Someone at news is getting fired for letting that go to print

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

quote:

brandy 6 HOURS AGO
Funny how it is always baby boomers protesting this type of action.

Always passing on the debt to the next generation.

Ahhh the most selfish generation that ever existed does not mention we are taking more refugees through the correct channels now.

Now I must get back to work so I can fund your retirement and pay for my own.

Just... what.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Paul Syvret has always been a bit of a moderate/lefty voice in the Courier Mail when he isn't making smug, forlorn attempts to explain basic economics to Queenslanders. I guess he must be kind of like the conservative version of finding an Amanda Vanstone LNP shill article in a Fairfax paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ewe2 posted:

This guy knows what's up. But I'm still going for Morrison eventually. And here's the real problem:

That is, if the front bench chumps fail, there's nothing. Only the neoliberal Obama might save them.

I like Andrew Elder's opinion of Josh Frydenberg - "a sillyhead"

• Locked thread