Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm not entirely sure what's going on there, but that was one round of combat - looks kinda busted.

madjackmcmad posted:

True to life college textbook sim :)

I'm tired and actually I think I'm getting sick but when I come back and see 4 or 5 new posts here in this thread it feels great. Thanks for all these notes. Tuesday isn't the end of work, but I do want to make sure a great version goes out into the hands of everyone out there so it is a big deal for me.

I think the game is in a pretty darn good place overall. It's a lot of fun.

If there's any aspect I think really needs a revamp and cleanup, it's the town and economy system - it's really important because if you don't abuse town consumable acquisition, you hinder your early game chances significantly, but doing so is really, really boring.

Similarly, if you don't acquire hammers early via Tinsteel and save them for later when you get mid/endgame equipment, you damage your chances in the midgame of getting to the endgame - particularly relevant for resist gear, you can usually find a good weapon and enchant it (sans polearms :v:).

It's too big of a system to say 'hey do these two things and it's fixed!', but I'll throw out some 0 second armchair designer thoughts:

Town Stuff

1) Shopping is boring. Condense towns down to a number of easily spotted, easily categorized vendors. Right now you have the barmaid selling consumables, the weaponsmith selling potions and scrolls, the general vendor selling... etc. All with a bunch of walking around generic villages that resemble each other but have just enough variance to make finding the consumable vendors (the ones you care about, since the armor/weapon stores are meh) more annoying.

2) Clean up the shopping UI. The cursor resets its position each time you buy something. This sucks for buying a bunch of cheap consumables mixed in with expensive consumables, it's like playing crappy minefinder, but with your gold.

3) Clean up the shopping UI v2: Item icons are not consistent from game to game, or category to category, price or otherwise. Make a series of small-medium-large potions and scrolls and make sure items stay in those categories always, so you can at least tell how powerful and expensive an item is at a glance.

4) Clean up the shopping UI v3: No that's all. It'd be nice if it was improved a good bit more if browsing and shopping is going to remain an important part of the game.

5) The whole purloined goods->prosperity loop is too vestigal right now. Upgrading a town from 0 to 7 causes a few more crappy items to show up at the vendors, nothing particularly exciting - and you do it primarily to reset/restock consumable vendors, creating more of the above #1 unfunness.

Some suggestions:

1) Rather than generic prosperity increases, add specific types of goods that boost the inventory of a town in a noticeable manner: Weapons, Armor, Potions, Scrolls, Books, Jewellery/Accessories (hats and gloves). Turning in such an item would guarantee the town would stock some more powerful items, though they'd often be more expensive.

2) Assuming town upgrades are more rare, having the town lose prosperity levels on death would still sting, and prevent you from easily keeping a single town upgraded - plus the gold costs would stop you from buying up expensive goods early in the game. It would also be another mark on the pre/post tower game where you see a jump in your gear that you can afford (and adds a small amount more money tension, do you buy up powerful gear or books for more skills?).

3) Tie the goods to more rare/dangerous monsters/dungeons, make finding them an exciting event, like a powerful artifact/set item/unique. Or tie them to clearing dungeons, so each dungeon you clear lets you improve a town.

Consumable Stuff

I almost wonder if you should look into introducing inventory limits on potions/scrolls. This would limit excessive consumable hoarding, and you could have potion belts/scroll bandoliers or somesuch to increase limits if you wanted to.

Crafting

The hammer system is great, it's fun to unlock upgrades, it's fun to upgrade items. But right now, all the items cost one flat Tinsteel fee, there's no way to convert metals up or down, and all items cost the same amount.

End result is you want to farm a lot of easy stuff, stock up on Tinsteel, then buy out high end hammers and use them on your mid/endgame gear.

I'm assuming the current system is a stopgap until you get around to upping the cost on hammers to be more in line with their power.

It's pretty drat important though, because if it's left as is, it's possible to 'trap' yourself as a newbie by not getting enough critical upgrades of the right type early enough to propel you into the late game.

----

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, there's definitely still some balance issues with various skills and enemies, but that can be tuned over time. I have no input on the masters programs because I just unlocked the first one for example :v:

edit: and loving lol@the grimdark darkmans abilities, they are the most :black101: skills, each one is a frazetta painting with conan in text form

victrix fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
Thank you for all that-- quick question, don't hammers all have variable pricing now?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
I've been playing it on and off, and while it's fun, I just can't sink myself into it. I don't have the tolerance anymore for "farm consumables, then ID scrolls, then gear, then you'll be OK." Does it shift away from that after a bit? :\

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Post poste posted:

I've been playing it on and off, and while it's fun, I just can't sink myself into it. I don't have the tolerance anymore for "farm consumables, then ID scrolls, then gear, then you'll be OK." Does it shift away from that after a bit? :\

You shouldn't have to farm too much, but gear will always be an issue. IDing items happens instantly at the Academy, and you can level up the lab + library to start with scrolls pre-ID'd. As for consumables, they end up being pretty important, but ideally you find enough of them between adventuring and shopping that you don't feel stuck.

Everyone is going to have different tolerances though, one person's just-right is another's grindy is another's softcore casual babby town. It feels ok to me right now, and most of the audience too, but I don't think it's possible for anyone to have a wrong opinion on this.

If you feel like you're getting stuck at a certain level and have to go grind, where is that happening? I appreciate the help.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

madjackmcmad posted:

Thank you for all that-- quick question, don't hammers all have variable pricing now?

They do not unless they literally just changed in the build I just downloaded :v: (it added glowing hearts to my skeleton minions though :3:)

I suppose if I could boil down the problem with the current economy, it's that it presents no real choices, but forces mundane micro to be optimal.

That's not the greatest cardinal sin any rpg has ever committed, many do, but it bugs the hell out of me.

Specifically: Income in the game is basically early game - little to no gold, early midgame, very low gold, post tower, shitton of gold, lategame, more shittons of gold.

Items are priced in such a way that cheap, early consumables are borderline free - you can literally buy every single low tier consumable up from every town you encounter, very early in the game.

Once past that, you can buy up every single mid tier consumable, then every high, etc (unless you're buying books of course).

So you have a situation where every town in the game is essentially an annoying ui/inventory minigame (with a glitchy ui unsuited for selective rapid buying), where you go and buy up every single item you can afford, but dodge the ones you can't.

There isn't a real choice being made here - either you have the money, and the 'work' to acquire the items with it is pure busywork with no threat, challenge, or decisions being made about what to buy, or, you don't do that busywork, and you are markedly weaker when you're doing the fun stuff, the dungeon delving.

The other problems (ui issues/shopkeeper inventory quality/purloined goods upgrades, etc) are annoying, but the root issue is the lack of meaningful decisions about how/where/why to spend your money.

To be clear, I don't have an issue with the player being stocked up with lots of consumables, you can and do still die with a pack full of them, action economy provides an inherent limitation on how much added power they give you, but it is added power, and not taking advantage of it is foolish.

My gripe is entirely that it's a big boring side track from the main fun activity, monster bashing in challenging dungeons.

(Oh, it also sucks trying to track down what town had what books for sale).

I almost think you should jettison upgradeable towns, move the vendors to the academy, and have their upgrades tied to goods found in the wild. Either remove normal towns or change them to monster occupied dungeons that reward you for freeing them (an invert of the usual 'you're saving the world but gently caress you this healing potion is 50g').

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Around level 10 or so, where the enemies make the switch from "Maybe throws a 4 damage bottle per enemy" to "Okay, so here's a lizard man, and ice wall spewer, a charging rear end in a top hat, and they're all buffed and there's a dude who will just charge slash you every turn, good luck!"

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Post poste posted:

Around level 10 or so, where the enemies make the switch from "Maybe throws a 4 damage bottle per enemy" to "Okay, so here's a lizard man, and ice wall spewer, a charging rear end in a top hat, and they're all buffed and there's a dude who will just charge slash you every turn, good luck!"

10 is pretty high, I'm looking at towers around level 8.

What sort of build are you using, and are you utilizing the blacksmith's hammers to give yourself resist gear?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Nope, it just goes from normal enemies to wall o' HP ones and nukers around then, and I'm barely into the third tier of items. The hammers really didn't occur to me, since most of the bonuses don't seem useful and I can't seem to get better ones.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Madmack, re hammers: 250 Tinsteel for everything, no variation or scaling (note that even with different levels, it'd still suck to have a bunch of one material and be unable to convert it, some sort of conversion/(gasp)goldsink would be nice).

Post poste posted:

Nope, it just goes from normal enemies to wall o' HP ones and nukers around then, and I'm barely into the third tier of items. The hammers really didn't occur to me, since most of the bonuses don't seem useful and I can't seem to get better ones.

Yeah they're vital - to unlock the new upgrades, you have to melt down an item that has the enchant you want, so what's probably happening is you're wearing your best gear and dying or selling stuff to merchants, which you should never do (hah, how's that for a trap).

Melt everything you aren't wearing, except stuff you have locked (5 on numpad, no idea what the other key is), that'll give you material to upgrade/buy hammers with, and unlock the actual upgrades.

The specific ones you want are cold/fire/poison resist, depending on where you are and what you're fighting.

When cryo mages start showing up, you need cold resist, fire for regular mages, poison for necromansers/some archers and orcs.

There's starlight/dread purple poo poo but you won't care about that until very late game.

50% resist can turn those mobs from instadeath to manageable, assuming your gear/skills are in order.

It's not actually as big of a deal to use hammers on your weapon, but a single nice upgrade can be useful on top of scrolls.

edit: Goddamnit. One shot by a champion melee hit. I hate learning how hard something hits by dying to it in a single round :saddowns:

victrix fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 8, 2014

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Carnalfex posted:

I'm not sure what has changed since the preview build, but in there the only thing that "reduced downtime" was that things respawned about as fast as you killed them, so you were constantly wading through waves of trash. That works for a game like diablo 3 when you can hold down a button and clear whole screens while mashing whatever mobility boost your class has to get to the next interesting fight, and still be able to react in real time when you see a threat. In a turn based game it means falling asleep on the movement key and then taking 50 hits in a row and insta-gibbing. Auto-explore is the cure to that.

On the plus side no animations on the sprites means you don't have to wait to move each tile or wait a year for all the attack animations when the screen is full of baddies. Dredmor did that and it could be a slog at times.

Enemies do respawn at a decent clip, but what I mean is that levels are fairly compact - corridors are short and 99.9% of the time they lead to a room containing things to kill/steal. When you've killed everything it usually takes about 30 seconds to get to the stairs.

Games like Crawl and ToME need AEx because they have huge sprawling levels of which about 30% is usually bare terrain. It's a mechanic used to solve a problem the game itself created. Dungeonmans avoids that by keeping the level design tight, the dungeons short-ish and making travel easy enough without having to press the Solve Tedium button.

E: I AM SO EXCITED FOR TOMORROW

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Post poste posted:

Your very first try at the scrobold warren is honestly the only time were you have to go blind and ID stuff on your own. After that, you can tell the headmaster to ID what's in your bag, and it's almost a given that you'll find an identify scroll in the scrobold warren. And further mans will benefit from the Alchemy/Library upgrades.

victrix posted:

Madmack, re hammers: 250 Tinsteel for everything, no variation or scaling (note that even with different levels, it'd still suck to have a bunch of one material and be unable to convert it, some sort of conversion/(gasp)goldsink would be nice).
No idea what's going on with your game, but my smith has different prices for his hammers, and only the small minor buffs cost tinsteel :shrug:

I do agree that the whole town business could be streamlined a bit more, but can't really say how. Replacing purloined inventory with specific item crates doesn't sound good to me. Because you then are likely to micro the gently caress out of it, which gets tedious. Like, when you then find a crate of armor you groan because you rather would have more potions in your town of choice. I think the general buff from purloined inventory is fine. Doing potion shopping rounds didn't bother me much, but it may be worth it to cut down the vendors per town, while giving each a bigger stock. It just gets a little mindless eventually. You hop into town, hit the potion/scroll vendors and repeat that as long as your money allows it. Also, is there a way to sell/buy in bulk? Really missing that.

A thing I'd like to bring up, is that world map generation could maybe do with a sort of fail-safe. Thing is, I started three new academies for testing purposes, and each time I got majorly hosed. Like, aside from the scrobold warren and one other minor dungeon, everything in my area was towns+road encounters. Not a single dungeon, and I'm serious. The only dungeons I could find where in adventurous areas, which meant that they got really hard on floor 2, and almost unbeatable on floor 3. I did not enjoy to fight pangolins with a 1D6 weapon, and my loot pool before that was very limited. Yeah, the hard floors also dropped better items that I could equip, but the RNG refused me a one handed weapon. So I scrapped those runs, because when your second dungeon goes to dangerous on floor three, you're kinda boned. This stands in a hard contrast to my very first world map, that had a good spread of trivial+mundane dungeons that I could use to get my baseline going before pagolins/mages/brigands became the norm.

And lastly, another minor bug report. If you tell the master to make a new worldmap, the scrobold warren stays the same. And when you enter and exit it, it shows the "In progress" icon despite the boss being still dead.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

No idea what's going on with your game, but my smith has different prices for his hammers, and only the small minor buffs cost tinsteel :shrug:

Hmmmm, may have to nuke my entire game. Darnit, I had just built up a decent number of unlocks and stremf :(

edit: Come to think of it, I supposedly unlocked some new dmans character portraits, and I don't think any of them actually unlocked.

edit again: Sure enough, generating a new academy fixed the hammer prices. Bleh. Madjack, is there any way to fix that on my existing academy without having to start a new one?

Tin Tim posted:

Doing potion shopping rounds didn't bother me much, but it may be worth it to cut down the vendors per town, while giving each a bigger stock. It just gets a little mindless eventually. You hop into town, hit the potion/scroll vendors and repeat that as long as your money allows it. Also, is there a way to sell/buy in bulk? Really missing that.

I can't stand it because of the sheer quantity involved - in my current world there are ~10 towns. Figure just 3 vendors per town you need to check for consumables. That's 30 vendors spread out over a good sized geographic space. That's not fun to do with every single character (multiple times, because you have to go back as you pass each major gold breakpoint).

And that's assuming you don't want to deal with the current purloined goods minigame, tackle all the road encounters/forest camps, and drop off goods at all the different towns to add more consumables.

Consumables boil down to 'skills everyone has, some with very limited uses', but the acquisition method for them currently sucks, and if you don't do it, welp, hope you like dying without a healing potion/blink scroll/etc.

victrix fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 8, 2014

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

victrix posted:

Consumables boil down to 'skills everyone has, some with very limited uses', but the acquisition method for them currently sucks, and if you don't do it, welp, hope you like dying without a healing potion/blink scroll/etc.
Well, I do agree that you'e hosed without a healthy stack of consumables, but the rate at which you get them varies from game to game. Like, I don't have to do too much running tbh, and that's with making rounds through like six or seven towns tops. Though, I of course cleared the road/forest encounters and got some more inventory from random champs, so my towns are all boosted. Currently, I'm running with a lv8 fightermans who is well stocked on everything he needs. And that's because I boosted my towns. Having thirty healing potions on hand feels good! Like, I had to do something in the range of four shopping runs to build my stash, and now clearing dungeons mostly refills what I use in them. So I honestly just check a few high tier towns for blink or fat potions every now and then. Dunno, I'm not bothered by it, but your mileage may varry :shrug:

Aight, I have more bug reports but lets start with something good first

My first champion hall :black101:

Faced an ancient orc king and four of those brigands that burst knives at you and have the whirling sword aura. Tough poo poo! Burned like five blink scrolls and several potions, but boy did crushing them feel good!

Had two road encounters spawn over towns, and the towns couldn't be entered as long as the encounter was there.

Loot and level props in the wall. Also happened with a pot in the same dungeon.

That's a really mean random encounter map, and it killed the poo poo out of me. I'd say that it's almost unbeatable at the point where those enemies are your level, because the punk girls just jank you into the fray. No chance to escape from it. I even blinked, but apparently the range for their grab move is really far? I'd consider to either cut down the spawns on that map, or make it less open and don't let the player just stand in the middle of frown-town.

Dunno why, but the game insisted on spawning me in the middle of each road encounter I checked. This happened out of the blue, because I entered one normally much earlier, and went away after I rebooted the game.

Prevent bleeding potions don't seem to work? I popped one and immediately got more bleeding next round. Tried it twice with the same outcome. Also, bleeding is a super powerful effect and stacks like mad. Not sure if I like how it currently just eats right through your health.

Saw this on other maps too. Sometimes boxes/barrels leave behind the image of a pot that you can't break and just phase through.

And lastly, I'd like a few more hotkeys. I again have to reference tales of maj'eyal, which is pretty close in the neighborhood of this game tbh, but I really like the modular bar it has at the bottom of the screen. The modularity isn't a wish on my part, but just having the hotkey list be bigger would be great! With your class skills and all the consumables, 10 keys isn't that much. Oh, I guess I can also say that I found a way to play around the "problem" of having your second dungeon spawn in adventurous lands. The trick is that you have to sell your first loot haul, instead of giving it to your smith. Then use the money to scour the towns for potions and tier 2 armor pieces. If you can get enough things, beating your next dungeon is possible. The boss floor will still be dicey(depending on your drops), but winning is a lot more likely than before.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
I don't get how the museum works. I got a couple of orange-named books on Scrobolds, and the headmaster said he would give them to museum guy, I think? But I didn't notice any effect regarding that. When I ask him about progress, there seems to be a little bit on Punks, but what's the purpose of that? Really the museum just left me confused.

Also, there's still mention of early access on the steam store page, below the various "Buy Dungeonmans" options. Please don't joke about killing valve staff.

Edit: Previously here, me mixing up Unormal and Madjack.

Beeme fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 10, 2014

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I fear madjack has worked himself sick trying to get dmans out the door :ohdear:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

victrix posted:

I fear madjack has worked himself sick trying to get dmans out the door :ohdear:

Yeah I'm hosed up right now tbh. I'm about to post a hotfix for a crash, and then won't get back to real work until Thursday.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

madjackmcmad posted:

Yeah I'm hosed up right now tbh. I'm about to post a hotfix for a crash, and then won't get back to real work until Thursday.

Health > arbitrary release dates

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008
Get better.

Is there a JackieChanMans, yet?

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

madjackmcmad posted:

Is the Master of Battle in this release by chance Madjack?

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Haven't played this since the summer 2013 alpha. Kickassmans is crushing long into this night.

e: lots of dead dungeonmans

Happylisk fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 10, 2014

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Space Bat posted:

Is the Master of Battle in this release by chance Madjack?

Yes, King of Battle is accessible and all the powers work.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Just started playing. Is there a way to view previous log entries? Stuff keeps happening to me but then the log clears before I can actually read what it was. I just want to know what's going on!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

misguided rage posted:

Just started playing. Is there a way to view previous log entries? Stuff keeps happening to me but then the log clears before I can actually read what it was. I just want to know what's going on!

Yeah it also has a bad habit of being really, really spammy due to certain things (like inanimate objects taking damage from aoe abilities, etc).

I'm sure he has it on the list of Things To Fix Once I Have Ten Of Me And Four Hands Each

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

madjackmcmad posted:

Yes, King of Battle is accessible and all the powers work.
Good to know, thanks!
Too bad I'm really terrible at this game. I've been trying to unlock the master programs but I always die at level 5 or so because I suck. Oh well, gotta keep trying.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

madjackmcmad posted:

Sorry for you dude, get better soon!

Space Bat posted:

I've been trying to unlock the master programs but I always die at level 5 or so because I suck. Oh well, gotta keep trying.
How do you even get the master programs? I'm at a point where I just dump points into delving/cartography, because I have real armor and sword&board maxed out.

I'm gonna spoiler what led to this for people who wanna find out alone.

Don't talk poo poo to the Doomsayer! It happened to me at like lv 4, and I had to double combat blink out of town. Made it to the world map with four health lol

On the other hand, this also made the mayor and a merchant disappear forever :shrug:

Proof that other status animations can also stick around. Though, an unending torrent of blood is kinda cool :v:

And lastly, let me gloat about nice gear

High tier weapon scrolls ftw! And I can still put a hammer on it. Probably gonna go with biting :rms:

Dunno why this ring is only worth 89 silver, because it seems incredibly powerful to me. All those brigand ice mages or ancient king ice mages? Get hosed! That one champion hall where four ice mage champions splatted my previous run? Get hosed too!

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 10, 2014

Mayheim
Jun 15, 2006
Is there a way to not get completely ruined by stat drain? I was hoping to get them back if I killed the boss but that quickly became impossible. :rip:

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

I'm gonna spoiler what led to this for people who wanna find out alone.

Don't talk poo poo to the Doomsayer! It happened to me at like lv 4, and I had to double combat blink out of town. Made it to the world map with four health lol
This was terrifying. I'm not sure I would have survived, but the game crashed the moment the bees started to act.

Is there unlocking of sprites? I could've sworn I read that I had unlocked an alchemist sprite some time ago, maybe when I upgraded the alchemy lab, but there were no new sprites to choose from.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Beeme posted:

Is there unlocking of sprites? I could've sworn I read that I had unlocked an alchemist sprite some time ago, maybe when I upgraded the alchemy lab, but there were no new sprites to choose from.

Yeah I have the same problem, I've supposedly unlocked a bunch but they don't show up on new dungeonmans.

Also I got to the 'new' endgame, and it is brutally difficult. My wizardmans who was basically destroying anything in sight in Legendary dungeons is struggling hard, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to clear it, there are some attacks that I'm pretty sure would have one shot me without a potion of stremf or science active, and a few champions are barely getting dented with a potion of foom active, and this is with base foom of like 40+ and a crazy enchanted 4 star spellpower weapon.

I can't tell if some of the enemies here are overtuned, or it's supposed to be like this. I've only cleared part of one wing of the dungeon, and I don't think my supplies will last for the whole thing.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I know the previous version of the final dungeon had dudes that would use Gravity attacks that would remove a % of your health and pretty much spam that and demolish you regardless of your total health. Not sure if that is still the case but those guys can reduce even an untouchable tank to poo poo in short order.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Gildiss posted:

I know the previous version of the final dungeon had dudes that would use Gravity attacks that would remove a % of your health and pretty much spam that and demolish you regardless of your total health. Not sure if that is still the case but those guys can reduce even an untouchable tank to poo poo in short order.

There's just all kinds of nastiness. Some kind of undead champion that threw a bunch of bones that did hundreds of damage, would have killed me without potion + light shield active.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Mayheim posted:

Is there a way to not get completely ruined by stat drain? I was hoping to get them back if I killed the boss but that quickly became impossible. :rip:
So far I've dealt with it by applying maximum violence as fast as possible. Use your potions+skills and lock them down if you can. Especially champion potions are super good for this, and use stamina regen to not stop smashing. My fightermans has no problems there, because my bread&butter ability locks things down for a turn. But then again, I've only met those bigger skelly mages in the graveyard that use drain. Could be a totally different thing if you face multiple enemies with it. But then the principle of "gotta crush fast" still applies.

Also, still wondering what's up with that master training and how you get it :v:

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
I can't get past level 6 or so because of those stupid whip girl mobs :saddowns:

I'm doing great, kicking rear end left and right and then whoops I open a door and a turn later I'm in the center of a room surrounded by mobs and even if I get away whoops I'm right back in there again. It's really annoying and Not Fun. Is there something I can do about them?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Also, still wondering what's up with that master training and how you get it :v:

Spoilers!

Grimdark Darkmans 2h weapons, Deadcrafting, Necronomics

Disintegral Calclus All primary Wizardmans schools

King of Battle Polearms, Real Armor, Shieldcraft

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making
Don't know how I didn't see this game before! Just bought it on Steam. Was thinking of waiting for a sale, but since it is goon-made I thought I should at least buy one game this year at full price! Anyone got any hints for me before I jump into the game and die a millions times?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

victrix posted:

Spoilers!

Grimdark Darkmans 2h weapons, Deadcrafting, Necronomics

Disintegral Calclus All primary Wizardmans schools

King of Battle Polearms, Real Armor, Shieldcraft
Ohh, nice. I may try to go for King of Battle after looking at the skills a bit more.

Overall, I do hope that we can expect a few more skills/classes in the future. I'm bringing up tales of maj'eyal again, but it's a pretty good example for how good a complex but still flexible skill/class system can be. Of course, it's the result of a long dev process and extensive community feedback, but it's the direction I'd like to see in the future.

Minarchist posted:

I can't get past level 6 or so because of those stupid whip girl mobs :saddowns:

I'm doing great, kicking rear end left and right and then whoops I open a door and a turn later I'm in the center of a room surrounded by mobs and even if I get away whoops I'm right back in there again. It's really annoying and Not Fun. Is there something I can do about them?
Hmm, these can be mean depending on your class. I guess it's not possible to give a blanket advice on them, but there are little things that you can do. Positioning for instance helps. Like, when you spot one of them, walk back(or around corners) to kite them away from the other mobs. And if they jank you into the fray, use your consumables. Don't hog potions if they can save your life right now! A lesser regen potion can sometimes be enough to tank the storm of hits, and champion potions are life-savers. And then you also should get your target prioties in order. Like, those girls don't do that much damage, so consider killing the tougher enemies around you first, instead of taking the girls out after they janked you. Or even worse, trying to get away again. As said, kinda depends on what mans you play.

Pogue_Mahone posted:

Don't know how I didn't see this game before! Just bought it on Steam. Was thinking of waiting for a sale, but since it is goon-made I thought I should at least buy one game this year at full price! Anyone got any hints for me before I jump into the game and die a millions times?
Do the scrobold warren first, but be careful on the third floor. Rest when you run out of stam/health and don't play too fast. Also, it may be worth it to leave the dungeon after clearing the second floor, and have the academy master identify your loot. Having a regen potion is pretty handy for the first boss, and it can be lovely to ID yourself if you don't get multiple drops. After beating the warren, don't dump your loot on your smith. Sell it to a shop, and use the money to buy potions and tier 2 armor pieces. Then explore the map a bit for more towns, and keep an eye on the bar at the top of your screen, because it shows the challenge of an area. In a perfect world, you'll find your second dungeon in "mundane" territory, but if not, you'll have to take an "adventurous" one. That's a rough ride, especially at the bottom, but doable with a bit of gameplay experience under your belt. Also, stay away from road encounters until you're confident in your mans(Lv 5 should be okay imo). The map layout throws you against a larger number of foes without any safe space to retreat, and they can own you hella fast. This should be enough to get you going. Oh, dungeons in a "trivial" area will also give you the choice to just have them poop out some loot, because you're too strong for them. Do that for some free drops because who wouldn't?

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 10, 2014

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
What are the chances of an alternate sprite pack popping up? I find the current graphics incredibly offputting. :/

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Overall, I do hope that we can expect a few more skills/classes in the future. I'm bringing up tales of maj'eyal again, but it's a pretty good example for how good a complex but still flexible skill/class system can be. Of course, it's the result of a long dev process and extensive community feedback, but it's the direction I'd like to see in the future.

I dislike Tome precisely because it does have ten billion classes and skills and stats, I was completely overwhelmed every time I played it.

Dmans plays really fast, once your academy is built up, you can progress to the midgame really quickly with any build, which is a lot of fun, and it's not a huge slog to reach the end either, you can finish the game in one session if you have a free afternoon.

That said, I do think a few skill lines could use a few more active skills, Wizards are spoiled for choice compared to most melee lines.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

victrix posted:

I dislike Tome precisely because it does have ten billion classes and skills and stats, I was completely overwhelmed every time I played it.

Dmans plays really fast, once your academy is built up, you can progress to the midgame really quickly with any build, which is a lot of fun, and it's not a huge slog to reach the end either, you can finish the game in one session if you have a free afternoon.

That said, I do think a few skill lines could use a few more active skills, Wizards are spoiled for choice compared to most melee lines.
Yeah, you're not wrong with that opinion. I guess it ultimately comes down to the conflict of what people actually want from their games. Like, I too went ohmygodwhatisallthis the first time I played tome. But when I got the hang of the game, I really enjoyed loving around with builds and mixing skills on an adventurer. But to each their own, and I can also understand if madjackmcmad wants to keep dmans fast and loose instead of having intricate class combos. Because fast and loose is definitely the vibe of the game, and I also like it for that. As you said, sometimes it's good to play a few dungeons in an hour, whereas a game like tome can keep you inside a single one for that time. The second half of tome also becomes real tedious after you did it a few times, so I really can see dmans staying in the spot it is currently in.

I guess what kinda throws me off about the current skills, is the lack of blanket passives that any class can use. Like, a lot of games give you a tree that offers some tiny bonuses to resource regen, damage reduction or offense. Something along the line of this could be an interesting start to diversify the class builds a little bit.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I just bought this game, and aside from a few bugs (I've had critters get dozens of turns of attack while I'm resting, effectively killing me without letting me get a turn), I've been pretty satisfied with it. Last time I played was the summer preview, and it's really come a long long way from there.

The only real grievance I have with the progression is it almost becomes mandatory to become a hybrid because there's just that short dungeon delver tree for generics, and that's it. I think some more masters programs and another tree or an expanded 101 tree would really round out your options without becoming overwhelming, but for a release it's got plenty of poo poo to pick from.

I really like how pretty much all four stats are useful for any build and I wish more games did this instead of primary + secondary + dump stats your class doesn't care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zirconmusic
Nov 17, 2014

Unstoppable Trash Panda
Hey sup I did the music for this. Glad to see people enjoying the game! I'm also giving a little bit of input on some design stuff though Jim is definitely still the boss.

So about the hybrid thing - true that you often use multiple skill trees but there are a lot of options some of which I didn't even consider until recently. For example if you're 1h/shield, you have your 3 sword+board skills plus high guard + armor skills. You could pick up Southern Gentlemans for more damage w/o spending stamina, or pick up the defensive skills like Rapier Wit. Or go full tank with Bannermans - skip the polearm skills, just get banners. Or Necromanser for the summons, or Tricksonometry for getting out of tight spots.

Plus it's easy to overlook the fact that you can use a bow with dual wielding or 2h weapons. That offers some neat possibilities even if you want to be exclusively melee. Like you could use Shellbreaker Shot to soften up defenses before you use a big opener attack like Storm Driver.

• Locked thread