Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW

quote:

Russia's richest man has revealed that he bought US scientist James Watson's Nobel Prize gold medal, and intends to return it to him.

Steel and telecoms tycoon Alisher Usmanov said Mr Watson "deserved" the medal, and that he was "distressed" the scientist had felt forced to sell it.

The medal, awarded in 1962 for the discovery of the structure of DNA, sold for $4.8m (£3m) at auction.

The medal was the first Nobel Prize to be put on sale by a living recipient.

The 1962 prize was awarded to Watson, along with Maurice Wilkins and Francis Crick, with each receiving a gold medal.

Mr Watson, 86, has said he planned to donate part of the proceeds to charities and to support scientific research.

In an interview with the Financial Times recently, Mr Watson said he had been made to feel like an "unperson" since a Sunday Times interview seven years ago in which he linked race to intelligence.

Mr Usmanov said in a statement that he was the anonymous telephone bidder who bought the medal at a Christie's auction last week.

"In my opinion, a situation in which an outstanding scientist has to sell a medal recognising his achievements is unacceptable," he added.

"James Watson is one of the greatest biologists in the history of mankind and his award for the discovery of DNA structure must belong to him."

Mr Usmanov, said by Forbes magazine to be worth $15.8bn, is a major shareholder in Arsenal football club and was named Britain's wealthiest man in the Sunday Times rich list for 2013.

glad to hear everything worked out for dr. watson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

anchoress posted:

glad to hear everything worked out for dr. watson.

same

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW
some of james watson's greatest hits:

"If you could find the gene which determines sexuality and a woman decides she doesn't want a homosexual child, well, let her."

"Whenever you interview fat people, you feel bad, because you know you're not going to hire them."

"I am inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa because all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours—whereas all the testing says not really." He went on to say that despite the desire that all human beings should be equal, "people who have to deal with black employees find this not true."

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

"Whenever you interview fat people, you feel bad, because you know you're not going to hire them." -- James Watson

e:gently caress you

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

anchoress posted:

"If you could find the gene which determines sexuality and a woman decides she doesn't want a homosexual child, well, let her."

"Whenever you interview fat people, you feel bad, because you know you're not going to hire them."

"I am inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa because all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours—whereas all the testing says not really." He went on to say that despite the desire that all human beings should be equal, "people who have to deal with black employees find this not true."

it's incredible how a man with aspergers has managed to accomplish so much

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

gggiiimmmppp posted:

"Whenever you interview fat people, you feel bad, because you know you're not going to hire them." -- James Watson

e:gently caress you

lol

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008

anchoress posted:

"Wow yesh this brilliant scientist sure has some problematic points of view when it comes to race and gender. I think it would be good for society as a whole if we silenced and marginalized him"

Nigga gently caress yo feelings

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

I tend to find that my black employees are thugish and brutal, with a complete inability to work towards productive goals.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Biggie Shorty posted:

"Wow yesh this brilliant scientist sure has some problematic points of view when it comes to race and gender. I think it would be good for society as a whole if we silenced and marginalized him"

Maybe he shouldn't have been a huge racist?

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008

Inevitable posted:

Maybe he shouldn't have been a huge racist?

Maybe you should shut your loving hole and let the adults do science

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

My heart bleeds for this 86-year old racist gently caress who got five million dollars for his science disk

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Biggie Shorty posted:

he's racist

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

I tend to find that my black employees are thugish and brutal, with a complete inability to work towards productive goals.

here we find a great wasteland

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Biggie Shorty posted:

He and Crick plagiarized the poo poo out of their colleagues
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecular_Structure_of_Nucleic_Acids:_A_Structure_for_Deoxyribose_Nucleic_Acid#Collaborators.27_controversy

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW
Watson has repeatedly supported genetic screening and genetic engineering in public lectures and interviews, arguing that stupidity is a disease and the "really stupid" bottom 10% of people should be cured. He has also suggested that beauty could be genetically engineered, saying in 2003, "People say it would be terrible if we made all girls pretty. I think it would be great."

he's right. about everything

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Biggie Shorty posted:

He did some science and nobody took his prize away. But when you tell everyone what a huge loving racist you are you shouldn't be surprised when nobody wants anything more to do with you.

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008
Mother fucker wins the nobel prize and Gibbis posters tell him to check his privilege . oh ho ho I can't wait to post this dumb poo poo on weird twitter and rustle me some jimmies boy howdy

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Von braun was a nazi that poo poo rockets out his rear end onto the moon. Let the man science, when he's dead we can villify him.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

god drat. watson said some real rear end poo poo

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you
Grandad hates dumb fats, so what :colbert:

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

anchoress posted:

People say it would be terrible if we made all girls pretty. I think it would be great.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

he invented DNA so he could be cloned, and his clone's name? steve buschemi. RIP

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Biggie Shorty posted:

Mother fucker wins the nobel prize and Gibbis posters tell him to check his privilege . oh ho ho I can't wait to post this dumb poo poo on weird twitter and rustle me some jimmies boy howdy

You are probably a racist and probably not a scientist.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

anchoress posted:

Watson has repeatedly supported genetic screening and genetic engineering in public lectures and interviews, arguing that stupidity is a disease and the "really stupid" bottom 10% of people should be cured. He has also suggested that beauty could be genetically engineered, saying in 2003, "People say it would be terrible if we made all girls pretty. I think it would be great."

he's right. about everything

Someone made a joke earlier but he may really be an autist of some sort. Smart guy, sure, but even brilliant people are stupid about more things than not and the smartest people of all know when to shut up which Crick unfortunately doesn't.

People boo-hooing about some 80-year-old geezer that needs more paintings though... the dude was involved in one major discovery and needed to steal a bunch of people's work to do that. Cool story but it's not like he's Einstein or anything.

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW
they should have given him a prize for saying whatever he feels like and not giving a gently caress

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

you know another scientist who said a bunch of really offensive poo poo? copernicus

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

be genetically different, baby

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

if we could just turn the dumbest 10% into racist nobel laureates we could cure cancer and AIDS and go to mars and send all of the minorities to alpha centauri in a generation

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008

Inevitable posted:

keep them scrub-tier swipes comin' sonny boy! I luv em!

Ha HAaaaa!!

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

the new pleb posted:

Von braun was a nazi that poo poo rockets out his rear end onto the moon. Let the man science, when he's dead we can villify him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTKn1aSOyOs&t=33s

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008
every body in this thread is a loving moron, but only some are stupid enough to suggest that we care that the guy who discovered DNA is a loving racist misogynist fat-shamer.

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

Inevitable posted:

and you seem pretty invested in GBS's opinion of an old timey science man.

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008

Biggie Shorty fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 10, 2014

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
sorry guys, you used up your "Get outraged at some politically incorrect scientist" card up with the comet guy and his shirt. watson gets a pass and you have only yourselves to blame

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

The Mad Archivist posted:

sorry guys, you used up your "Get outraged at some politically incorrect scientist" card up with the comet guy and his shirt. watson gets a pass and you have only yourselves to blame

he's racist

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

gggiiimmmppp posted:

you know another scientist who said a bunch of really offensive poo poo? copernicus

Well he didn't get a Nobel prize either. Checkmate, historian!

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
That prize belongs to Rosalind Franklin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
It's dumb for a trained and accomplished research scientist to call entire races less "intelligent" than others without sufficient scientific data to back up that claim. It's sloppy worksmanship and should not be taken seriously.
It's even dumber, however, for people to then get outraged on a moral level (as opposed to concerned on a methodological one) at the scientist's statement, because of a cultural tendency to see the intelligence of the individual human being as a measuring stick for their particular "worth" within postmodern society, which causes them to confuse scientifically unfounded factual statements about IQ for blatantly racist statements about human worth. It is also really dumb that a medal the sized of a beer coaster got sold for 5 million dollars.

• Locked thread