Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

That's definitely not how that works. People think this about Civil Service, but uh, it's a snap to update a PD.

Ah. My only use/knowledge of it was when the civilian ESO for my last unit said she didn't have to come to the main unit as she was primarily working out of a sub unit (which she lived closer to), so I requested her PD which showed her main job functions should happen at my unit and showed it to the Command. Soon after she was working out of the main unit and doing 'travel as required' to any sub-units, per her PD. I only pushed the issue because she was a bitch that never wanted to help out with tests/TA and said she didn't have to since I had the collateral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
Just got approved for PO1, can I officially stop caring for the next 15 years?

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Null Integer posted:

Just got approved for PO1, can I officially stop caring for the next 15 years?

Are you getting paid?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Is PO1 E-6? If so are you saying you picked up E-6 in five years?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

nwin posted:

Ah. My only use/knowledge of it was when the civilian ESO for my last unit said she didn't have to come to the main unit as she was primarily working out of a sub unit (which she lived closer to), so I requested her PD which showed her main job functions should happen at my unit and showed it to the Command. Soon after she was working out of the main unit and doing 'travel as required' to any sub-units, per her PD. I only pushed the issue because she was a bitch that never wanted to help out with tests/TA and said she didn't have to since I had the collateral.

Basically the "That's not in my job description." is a nuclear option that might work once, and you had better be right to assert that whatever you're doing isn't a.) covered by vague language in your PD and b.) is something you actually shouldn't be doing. Best case scenario if you piss off someone important enough to do something about it is that the union attempts to interfere with updating the PD, but to be honest, the unions involved with civil service have absolutely no teeth since there's no ability to strike. As a disclaimer this all depends on command climate and other factors which may have an effect on the outcome of any kind of grievance or complaint lodged against a GS/WG/WF whatever the gently caress.

This is, incidentally, why when the JTR/JFTR merged that the per diem/M&IE changes went through without a hitch, because the unions are incapable of doing anything meaningful about it.

Hekk posted:

e: sorry to poo poo up thread w/ civ service chat
Yes, it's E6 and I picked up E6 in 5 years, 5 months. Not in the Navy, though.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Hekk posted:

It's not that uncommon in certain rates.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

SpaceJustice posted:

Pretty common for CTIs. Most people pick it up the cycle before their contract's up, makes for a tasty CDB.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

SpaceJustice posted:

That seems pretty fast but I've heard of Marines getting SSgt in 6 years or so. Too bad the Navy doesn't consider PO1s SNCOs or Senior NCOs or whatever you all call them.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Hekk posted:

That seems pretty fast but I've heard of Assholes getting SSgt in 6 years or so. Too bad the Navy doesn't consider PO1s SNCOs or Senior NCOs or whatever you all call them.

They're Senior Junior NCOs. SJNCOs SIJ NOKS

At PO1 most departments seem to relegate you to being a secretary for a Chief. None of the ones I know have much autonomy or directly lead anyone.

I actually knew a CTI1 who made it in four and a half years. Left DLI, got 2nd class first cycle out of A-School then NECC sent him to Iraq with some pixel-faced group and he got capped for doing something he never specified, i always assumed it was giving a captain head in the midst of a firefight

Analogical fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 12, 2014

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Analogical posted:

At PO1 most departments seem to relegate you to being a secretary for a Chief. None of the ones I know have much autonomy or directly lead anyone.

I actually knew a CTI1 who made it in four and a half years. Left DLI, got 2nd class first cycle out of A-School then NECC sent him to Iraq with some pixel-faced group and he got capped for doing something he never specified, i always assumed it was giving a captain head in the midst of a firefight

You've never been on a ship. I was absolutely directly leading on a ship.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

poopkitty posted:

Yeah I'm only talking the bulk of the CTI community. I have no idea what goes on inside those giant metal floating things

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Analogical posted:

Yeah I'm only talking the bulk of the CTI community. I have no idea what goes on inside those giant metal floating things

Lots of cuddling and crotch grabbing

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Analogical posted:

It's not that hard if you're in the right rate. I put on first after about the same amount of time. I was only 22 at the time plus I look young anyway. I had someone ask me at least once a week if I was wearing the right uniform. Several people even demanded to see my ID card.

I then proceeded to not make chief for the next 6 years.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

poopkitty posted:

I think it depends on the Chief. I had a good Chief who empowered me to lead and would point me in the right direction if I needed some help. Some Chiefs aren't as good about that and have trouble giving up some control.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

SpaceJustice posted:

I think it depends on the Chief. I had a good Chief who empowered me to lead and would point me in the right direction if I needed some help. Some Chiefs aren't as good about that and have trouble giving up some control.

Truth. Depends on the PO1 also. I empowered some, and marginalized others.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

poopkitty posted:

Are you getting paid?

Of course not! I just get all the extra work with none of the pay.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

Bro, I ask you with all seriousness, have you contacted an IG or at the very least a JAG?

This. Some serious, SERIOUS red flags went up reading Analogical's post. If that poo poo's true, and I'm going to assume it is, heads, dicks, balls - all of it - will roll for something like this.

If Navy JAG/Navy IG said those things to you, I highly recommend you contact DOD IG ASAP.

http://www.dodig.mil/About_Us/contactUs.html

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Analogical posted:

Even their labels have accents

It's Korean, it just says "SASIMI" *shrugs*. Wait, you paid 20 bucks for that poo poo? Goddamn...

Analogical
May 20, 2013

:shepicide:

Analogical fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 12, 2014

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
They missed July? Slackers.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I think I told you guys this, but we have a 6 year chief in our field. I actually I think I see more red rockers in my field than gold.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Better update your Page 2, shippie :chiefsay:

Sir Lucius posted:

I think I told you guys this, but we have a 6 year chief in our field. I actually I think I see more red rockers in my field than gold.

I made in 7 years and got a lot of sideways glances rocking the one service stripe in my blues. Then again moving to the reserves, it seems everyone is either older and more time in or fresh from the schoolhouse.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

drat, fastest HM Chief I ever heard of making it was 7 years or so, and by 9 he was a Senior Chief. My instructor in A-school was in his class and they were always competing, my instructor made Chief at the 8 year mark right after his friend, but I think he's still a Chief and hasn't picked up. Both have ridiculously awesome stacks of ribbons though.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Nick Soapdish posted:

Better update your Page 2, shippie :chiefsay:

I made in 7 years and got a lot of sideways glances rocking the one service stripe in my blues. Then again moving to the reserves, it seems everyone is either older and more time in or fresh from the schoolhouse.

That's one thing I noticed, I think I'm the youngest first class at my NOSC.

EDIT: Also, it's weird seeing Chiefs and above with no warfare devices.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Haha I've seen so many 10ish year e-5s and a lot get HYT at the 12 year mark

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Done with another A school. Commence drinking and beard growing for a few weeks!

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Pandasmores posted:

Both have ridiculously awesome stacks of ribbons though.

Ha! I've been in 3 and a half and just started my second row (I'll let you guess which one it is).

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

Ha! I've been in 3 and a half and just started my second row (I'll let you guess which one it is).

That's because this command is stingy as gently caress with impact awards unless you deploy.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

buttplug posted:

That's because this command is stingy as gently caress with impact awards unless you deploy.

All the NIOCs are IMO. The impacts they do give out are for really weird reasons. I tried to nominate a guy for a coin and they wouldn't even do that. I think part of it is that the civilians run most of our offices so the Naval component can't track when we do something that would merit an award and the civs don't ever think to tip off our NCOICs. My LPO doesn't even know what I do at a job title or description level, not because she can't either.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Laranzu posted:

Done with another A school. Commence drinking and beard growing for a few weeks!

Congrats on finishing the hardest scho....pffffftttttjahahahahahaha

Good job putting up with all that bullshit and preemptive congrats on picking up first next cycle.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It's too bad there's hardly any Army IAs going on these days. Do one of those and you come back with 3 rows

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Sir Lucius posted:

Some people hate the Good Cookie award, I personally love it. It means that I was good enough at my job for people to look over the petty bullshit most of the time, and I appreciate that.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Christoff posted:

It's too bad there's hardly any Army IAs going on these days. Do one of those and you come back with 3 rows

There's still some in intel but you have like 28 days to get your boots on that ground before the campaign is over for awards.

Until the ISIS CRISIS that is. Looking like I'll be sent to advise next year but I doubt they'll retro a campaign so really it's just six months of bootlegged movies and comfortable-but-annoying living conditions.

Analogical fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 13, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Analogical posted:

All the NIOCs are IMO. The impacts they do give out are for really weird reasons. I tried to nominate a guy for a coin and they wouldn't even do that. I think part of it is that the civilians run most of our offices so the Naval component can't track when we do something that would merit an award and the civs don't ever think to tip off our NCOICs. My LPO doesn't even know what I do at a job title or description level, not because she can't either.

*shrugs* I'm an 1820, this is my first NIOC...no basis of reference. Even with the way the NIOCs are setup, there's nothing stopping MIL folks from putting other MIL folks in for awards and leaving the narrative/write-up on the high side with all the juicy juicy goodness and then just sanitizing the citation...

I just came from the joint world where the Army handed out awards like they were going out of style. I walked away from a 3-year tour with 2 JSAMs and a DMSM as an O3 (unheard of).

To put it in perspective, COs typically get a MSM after a successful command at sea.

Analogical posted:

There's still some in intel but you have like 28 days to get your boots on that ground before the campaign is over for awards.

Until the ISIS CRISIS that is. Looking like I'll be sent to advise next year but I doubt they'll retro a campaign so really it's just six months of bootlegged movies and comfortable-but-annoying living conditions.

AFAIK the OIF campaign ribbon was extended in light of the recent events with ISIS. I'm assuming you're referring to the OEF campaign ribbon being schwacked? I must have missed that..

buttplug fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 13, 2014

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.
Technically, OEF ended a couple days ago and was replaced by Operation Resolute Support. Not sure how that affects the actual award eligibility though. Everyone just gets GWOT EMs now, I guess?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Laranzu posted:

Hey, this just loving clicked with me. Congrats man! If you end up at ft. meade let me know,

I just finished a 56 hour work week and went to an Army/Navy boxing match. It was actually a lot of fun, but god drat you'd think there'd be more Navy that close to the Academy. I seriously think the 10 people in our group were the only ones cheering for the future naval officers to beat the poo poo out of the army future officers.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
My god, you mean people don't get to grow beards while being in? I feel pretty good with this beard right now.. All jokes aside, why is the Army/Navy game thing starting to explode, its filling up facebook with the 'viral marketing b grade youtube videos.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Ryand-Smith posted:

My god, you mean people don't get to grow beards while being in? I feel pretty good with this beard right now.. All jokes aside, why is the Army/Navy game thing starting to explode, its filling up facebook with the 'viral marketing b grade youtube videos.

Because it's today.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
At this moment buncha mids and cadets are freezing their dicks/tits off Waiting for the 3pm march on. Don't miss those days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I still find it very hard to give a gently caress about the naval and army academies playing football.

• Locked thread