Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
To be honest I have sympathy for people that have always been poor but lately I have little sympathy for people that made decent money for decades and lost it all. I can't believe they never thought, "You know now that I'm making money maybe I should learn how to manage it? Maybe buy a few books or something, what if I lost my job? I'd be hosed."

A lot of people that I've met that are struggling now told me they were making six figures 5-10 years ago but they just couldn't stop using those credit cards because of course their 100k jobs were going to last forever. Then you meet the day traders that thought they were wall street wiz kids and knew which stocks to put all their savings into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

To be honest I have sympathy for people that have always been poor but lately I have little sympathy for people that made decent money for a few years. I can't believe they never thought, "You know now that I'm making money maybe I should learn how to manage it? Maybe buy a few books or something..."

A lot of people that I've met that are struggling now told me they were making six figures 5-10 years ago but they just couldn't stop using those credit cards because of course their 100k jobs were going to last forever. Then you meet the day traders that thought they were wall street wiz kids and knew which stocks to put all their savings into

what percentage of people do you think ever make six figures and how much does this factor into coworkers you interact with at whatever lovely job you have now

how much do you let this affect your thinking on a wider scale

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

TEAYCHES posted:

what percentage of people do you think ever make six figures and how much does this factor into coworkers you interact with at whatever lovely job you have now

Even if a household only makes 50-60k a year they can still buckle up and get into a safe position. I could work minimum wage and still live a sweet life thanks to a few years of scrimping and hard work.

But nope they have to get the 200k McMansion.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 13, 2014

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014

TEAYCHES posted:

a misanthrope you should check this guy out, he's an even better journalist than you #getrekt

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Prorat posted:

Clinton got his golf balls sucked and forgot about the economy, Bush played golf and hosed the economy then Obama played golf and did nothing about it.

you mean he did nothing because doing so would make every elected official not rich? hasn't obama made like 4 million from being president so far from speeches and books etc.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

sexy young infidel posted:

a misanthrope you should check this guy out, he's an even better journalist than you #getrekt

im just asking questions

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

TOILETLORD posted:

you mean he did nothing because doing so would make every elected official not rich? hasn't obama made like 4 million from being president so far from speeches and books etc.

no one becomes president to get rich since to be president you have to be rich already

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Even if a household only makes 50-60k a year they can still buckle up and get into a safe position. I could work minimum wage and still live a sweet life thanks to a few years of scrimping and hard work.

But nope they have to get the 200k McMansion.

200k house in the midwest isn't even a mansion, must less on the coasts.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Torka posted:

no one becomes president to get rich since to be president you have to be rich already

he wsa backed by mr soros so original wealth was meaningless.

open container
Sep 16, 2008

TEAYCHES posted:

you have an excellent way of sweeping complex issues under the rug by just using common sense. thank you, i am a republican now

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

TEAYCHES posted:

im just asking questions

oh that dude was talking to me? i usually skip over his post because they are bad and his av is dumb

edit: infidel, i mean

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

common sense anecdotal experience is dumb. if you let the extremes of some retards you know color your perception of economics please stop. you can always single out some fuckup whose there because they are a fuckup, thats not some wider indictment of everyone else struggling unless you are truly a misanthropic sociopath who loathes everyone around them, in which case you are living in a hell of your own creation, great job

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

TEAYCHES posted:

common sense anecdotal experience is dumb. if you let the extremes of some retards you know color your perception of economics please stop. you can always single out some fuckup whose there because they are a fuckup, thats not some wider indictment of everyone else struggling unless you are truly a misanthropic sociopath who loathes everyone around them, in which case you are living in a hell of your own creation, great job

racism?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
if anyone ever wants to blame the president for large national trends, i would say it's not the president that's the problem, it's the presidency. the entire governmental system is archaic, compromised, and even corrupt. the executive branch has to be completely overhauled for any meaningful reform to happen, and then it's on to the legislative. but before that, it's the shadow government (intelligence agencies/defense contractors, the NSC, wall street, huge lobbying/law firms) that have got to have a hammer taken to them. the steps before real reform would even be possible are immense. don't assume i know what i'm talking about i just say stuff though

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
Let's talk about your perceptions of economics TEACHYS. HEre's my guess: its gay as poo poo

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

a posting ghost posted:

if anyone ever wants to blame the president for large national trends, i would say it's not the president that's the problem, it's the presidency. the entire governmental system is archaic, compromised, and even corrupt. the executive branch has to be completely overhauled for any meaningful reform to happen, and then it's on to the legislative. but before that, it's the shadow government (intelligence agencies/defense contractors, the NSC, wall street, huge lobbying/law firms) that have got to have a hammer taken to them. the steps before real reform would even be possible are immense. don't assume i know what i'm talking about i just say stuff though

another vote for civil war and killing the rich.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Prorat posted:

200k house in the midwest isn't even a mansion, must less on the coasts.

Moving would probably be a good idea. Like I said I feel bad for poor people that can't do that but I don't see why people wouldn't move somewhere with a lower cost of living if they can get the same income. $200k will buy a palace in many parts of the USA.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

TEAYCHES posted:

spot-on post, and that is coming from a misanthrope

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Remove income tax, capital gains tax, and property tax.

Cut almost all social programs that didn't exist 100 years ago.

Get rid of most all 3 letter agencies.

Boom economy fixed.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Prorat posted:

Boom economy fixed.

only if you reinstate full castle doctrine as in people can kill criminls and minorities in the streets like the good old days

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
IMO we don't trim fat here. It's got to be chainsawing the dead weight of government while still keeping the ones that can actually work a computer and I think that's pretty American

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Prorat posted:

Boom economy fixed.

ugh gross

you are gross

gross

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

sexy young infidel posted:

IMO we don't trim fat here. It's got to be chainsawing the dead weight of government while still keeping the ones that can actually work a computer and I think that's pretty American

fire them all if a community wants a resource they can provide it themselves. gut the military, just keep special forces air force and navy.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Prorat posted:

Boom economy fixed.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TOILETLORD posted:

only if you reinstate full castle doctrine as in people can kill criminls and minorities in the streets like the good old days

This but criminals only.

Mandatory guns in holsters for all adult men, so that there only has to be a single sheriff in every city.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Nah a large inefficient government is actually a good thing because it prevents a handful of people from getting too much power. More spending, debt, etc would benefit the economy greatly. I mean gently caress just give everyone a check they're just going to spend it anyway so you'll get it back and then some if your smart. People can't save for poo poo.

That said I'm still going to make fun of people for being bad with money.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 13, 2014

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

no more roads, either! and gently caress the fda!! you don't tell me what to do with ecoli mr. barak hussein obongo!!!!!!!!!!!

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014

A misanthrope posted:

ugh gross

you are gross

gross

Beatn at ur own game... you know you have to kill yourself now, right? Haha seriously though you do

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Prorat posted:

This but criminals only.

Mandatory guns in holsters for all adult men, so that there only has to be a single sheriff in every city.

i'm in favor of un restricted gun ownership as long as all people own are lever actions single action revolvers and bolt action rifles, inclusing all law enforcement.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
RIP a misanthrope died, last post not even containing a cat gif

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

lol

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

yo kill all the rich

and the ones who support them despite being poor should kill themselves

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
Weeks before the Diablo II: LOD expansion pack came out I traded all of my SOJ's for pskulls predicting a bull market on pskulls after release. Well it turned out I was wrong and the SOJ -> Pskull trade plummeted and a lot of my diablo 2 wealth was lost overnight.

What I learned from this was don't try to be greedy or smart just be content with being kinda poor and unambitious.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Hot Jam posted:

Weeks before the Diablo II: LOD expansion pack came out I traded all of my SOJ's for pskulls predicting a bull market on pskulls after release. Well it turned out I was wrong and the SOJ -> Pskull trade plummeted and a lot of my diablo 2 wealth was lost overnight.

What I learned from this was don't try to be greedy or smart just be content with being kinda poor and unambitious.

I remember I bought up stacks upon stacks upon stacks of pots in WoW because they were like 90 silver thanks to all those chinese farmers. I took a break for a couple months and when I came back I was a rich man because all the farmers had been banned.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

learning from these examples that all goons can attribute their financial sense to blizzard videogames

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

TEAYCHES posted:

learning from these examples that all goons can attribute their financial sense to blizzard videogames

Eh I recognize it was just luck. Most people will assume they're auction house wiz kids.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Hot Jam posted:

um, i think (i think??) what you're trying to say is "don't try to time the market" which is good advice.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Eh I recognize it was just luck. Most people will assume they're wall street wiz kids.

just like........ real life... fffcucucccuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

A misanthrope posted:

um, i think (i think??) what you're trying to say is "don't try to time the market" which is good advice.

• Locked thread