Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Thankfully, PE ends without any fatalities, and everyone gets dressed in their normal clothes. It's now Snack Time. (Yes, it's really called that on your schedule.)

Toby, when the crazy girl tackled you, she gave you a few more bruises for your collection, but you shake it off. You've had a lot worse, after all. While you're changing, Luke and Simon give you some poo poo for getting laid out by a girl, but you can tell they're honestly sort of impressed by your collection of scars. Luke points to one and asks how you got it. How did you get it, and what do you tell them?

After you leave the gym, Cynthia, one of the girls who was giggling in homeroom and apparently a friend of the girl who put you on the ground, comes up and says, "Hey, I accidently packed two bags of chips this morning. You want one?" What do you do?

Elizabeth, Cynthia is mad at you again and ignores you as she runs off to talk to Toby. Bonnie, on the other hand, comes up behind you, and puts a friendly hand on your shoulder as she gives a snort of laughter "I normally think Basketball is boring, but if they played it the way you do, I could get behind it. You have any plans to eat? I could have someone bring something if you're hungry." What do you do?

Jamie, Bernie catches up with you after PE, asking where you ran off to. Accepting pretty much any answer you give her, she then starts giving you advice for your date tonight. What advice does she give that doesn't make any sense to you? She also mentions that there's a party tonight in the park, and the whole class is invited. She says you should come over after the date. What do you do?

Magdalene, as you're the last to change, no one sees the skin of your stomach loll back and forth as if... well, as if it were on a dead person. You see all the vending machines, but it's all salt and sugar. Nothing in them appeals to you. Raoul and Luke see you and invite you over for a snack. Of course, their food won't be any more satisfying, but it might be rude to refuse. Or you could go and search for something with more substance. What do you do?

Jeanine, you don't really have anything on hand for a snack, but your stomach is gurgling. You're pondering sneaking off campus to grab something from a convince store when you hear a small groan from underneath you. You look down and see the sewer grating you're standing on buckle and then snap. Suddenly, you're plunged into damp and fetid darkness. Between the clanking metal and splashing water, you're not quite sure, but you think you hear something growling behind you. What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

MC posted:

Jamie, Bernie catches up with you after PE, asking where you ran off to. Accepting pretty much any answer you give her, she then starts giving you advice for your date tonight. What advice does she give that doesn't make any sense to you? She also mentions that there's a party tonight in the park, and the whole class is invited. She says you should come over after the date. What do you do?
Jamie Reeves
"I lost something in the bathroom and it took forever to find it again..." is my half-truth. I didn't have it to begin with and I sure as hell didn't find it.

All of the advice she gives me makes sense except this last thing before we go our separate ways, "No matter what he does or how you feel, I'll never respect you if give it up on the first date. You have to see if he can win an away game first. Don't do anything I wouldn't do!"

Did Bernie just call me 'it?' Was she talking about my body like it's separate from me and wasn't right there at the time, listening? I kind of figure out the home game versus away game thing, but I've seen a movie that makes it a lot harder to imagine what she wouldn't do...

So I tell Davis that we're going to the park after dinner to party off the calories. It's gonna be a crazy night, and at the end of I just want to go home with my pelt, my name, my freedom, and my Bernie.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Anastaise Lumière, the Fae
Hot +2, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark +1
Harm 0/4  XP 1/5

Capfalcon posted:

Anastaise, Toni sighs in contentment as she relaxes on your lap. A few quiet moments pass before she looks up and asks, "Do you believe me? About, you know..." She shrugs a little uncomfortably. What do you do?

I run my fingers through her hair. What the gently caress do I say to this girl? "I guess I do... but I dunno what the gently caress is goin' on around here lately. This poo poo is way over my fuckin' head, let me tell ya." Ain't that the truth. "Look, don't worry about it; I'll find out what's up with Maggie. I've got, uh, a friend who might know something. In the meantime, just steer clear of her and try not to think about it too much, okay babe?"

We head towards the gym, but we're too late, everybody's already leavin'. Guess we spent too much time fuckin' around with each other's hair. So we turn around and head to the cafeteria. I look around for Jeanine, but there's no sign of her. poo poo. Jamie's nearby, though, don't they know each other? "Hey Jamie, how was Phys Ed?" I say, tryin' to sound innocent. "You seen Jeanine around anywhere? I had a question for her. About the uh, chemistry project. I was gonna talk to her at PE but of course Toni and I got hauled in. We just took some bullshit off the counselor for bein' late but I hear Maggie had the goddamn police after her! What the gently caress?"

megane fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 12, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark 0
Harm 1/4 Exp 1/5 Conditions: No Manners
Okay, of all the things that might happen today, Toby sure didn't expect to get floored by Lizzie. How the hell was she able to do that? Even with momentum on her side, she pulled him down like it was nothing! Nobody that looks like her should be able to do that. He'll need to talk to her after they're done.

The scar Luke asks about, he happened to get the first time he went on a hunt, before he met Jeanine and Jamie. Some emaciated, skeletal bastard took a bite at his arm, left some pretty deep marks. He says it's a dog bite, and hopes nobody here is enough of a vet to call him out on that.

Man, what the hell does Cynthia want? Is this just another prank? She went from giggling at him to getting her buddy to Bo Jackson him, and now she wants lunch? Fine, he can play ball, see what the hell this is all about. "Sure, why not?" he shrugs, and mimes wincing at the bruise. "Your buddy has a hell of a tackle - where'd she pick that up?"

Manipulate NPC - How is Cynthia so strong? 2d6+1 = 9

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Toby, Cynthia scrunches her mouth up in distaste. She doesn't clearly doesn't want to talk about Elizabeth. "I'm really sorry about that, by the way. She can be a handful at times." She smiles a little, and adds with a shrug, "But she's my friend. Gotta look out for her." Completely changing the topic, she says, "By the way, I'm throwing a party tonight at the park by the river. I was hoping you could make it. We're going to have some music and food. BYOB, though."

Gonna have to promise to go to the party if you want more info, buddy.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Anastaise posted:

"Hey Jamie, how was Phys Ed?" I say, tryin' to sound innocent. "You seen Jeanine around anywhere? I had a question for her. About the uh, chemistry project. I was gonna talk to her at PE but of course Toni and I got hauled in. We just took some bullshit off the counselor for bein' late but I hear Maggie had the goddamn police after her! What the gently caress?"
Jamie Reeves
"Oh Jeanine? You don't find her, she finds you...

"Just kidding, I'll text her."

While I'm distracted typing Ana gossips about something I know all the facts about, "Did you hear that the cop tried to shoot some kid out the window in the middle of his interrogation? I guess whenever they gently caress up by asking questions first it's only a matter of time before they make up for it by shooting at someone later."

I'm surprised that my voice cracks at that and my eyes well up when I think about Mags getting shot dead, turned into something she would eat. I realize that when she said I was 'more to her than just a meal,'--even though according to Davis I need skin on my bones--she might have meant more that my life was precious to her than that my nutritional value was relatively low. I smile at Ana, embarrassed and surprised at myself.

"I dunno, I just wish I could keep her safe. Gotten kind of close since the storm... er, not rubyfruit jungle* close or anything." I can feel my face turning ruby red, though.

A gay bar named after a the lesbian novel.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
"...You want to invite me to a party after you spent the morning making fun of me with Bonnie?" he raises an eyebrow. "Or..." Oh god, he's the biggest loving dork, isn't he? He facepalms when he thinks he's figured it out. "...I haven't had enough sleep. Makes me say dumb things. Yeah, I'll be there, for sure." He does his best to not smile awkwardly.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

"Magdalene DuRousseau posted:

Hot -1, Cold 2, Volatile 1, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 Exp 2/5 Conditions: Suspicious

Jamie's plan seems convoluted and fraught with peril, but the reward outweighs the risk. I agree, and we arrange a time and place to meet and act. With a little good fortune I should still be able to rendezvous with Benjamin for our 'date' as well, although that has become...less important.

Sitting with Raoul and Luke was an interesting experience. Raoul has quite a developed understanding of Catholic doctrine, and can maintain a very interesting conversation about the more recent Christian philosophers - I was barely able to keep up, and I agreed to borrow some of his books on the subject in order to further my knowledge. Luke mostly laughed at us for being 'a nerdy god-squad' and accused Raoul of harboring some ill concealed affection for me. I will confess to teasing the boy a little, maintaining eye contact, waxing passionate about the various evidences of the soul and needing to breathe heavily at the end of a declamation, that sort of thing. I doubt they noticed that I barely picked at my 'snack'.

Turn On Raoul: 2d6+2 11

Taking a string on Raoul for later

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Elizabeth Anderson
Hot -1x Cold -1 Volatile 2x Dark 1
Harm 0/4 Exp 3/5 Conditions:

Capfalcon posted:

Elizabeth, Cynthia is mad at you again and ignores you as she runs off to talk to Toby. Bonnie, on the other hand, comes up behind you, and puts a friendly hand on your shoulder as she gives a snort of laughter "I normally think Basketball is boring, but if they played it the way you do, I could get behind it. You have any plans to eat? I could have someone bring something if you're hungry." What do you do?

Cynthia appears to have things well in hand with Toby. So I decided to leave them to their little discussion. Interfering now would only be awkward for all involved. After my little misunderstanding on the court Toby was the last person I wished to talk to. Talking to Bonnie will provide an adequate excuse not to make an immediate apology. The offer of food was tempting. I had prefered a properly nutritious meal for lunch which I had carried with me to school. But I had failed to allow for the effects exercise would have on my dietary needs. Turning to Bonnie I said "Yeah food would be pretty good right now."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Toby, she does her best to not laugh. She really, really does, but it's just too much for the poor girl. She says through the laughter, "Yeah, I know how that is. Everyone's had late nights recently." You ask about her friend again, and she's much more forthcoming. Her laughter dies down, and she gets a pained expression on her face. "I guess it's not really a secret, but I'd appreciate it if you don't go and tell everyone. So, during the storm, she got separated from her parents. She was in her home waiting for them when the levees broke. She survived, obviously, but when they found her, she was unconscious. She ended up being comatose for weeks, and when she woke up, she couldn't remember anything. And I mean anything." She bites her lip, adding, "Family, friends, even how to eat. So, she really didn't mean to hurt you. She honestly didn't know the rules of basketball. It's my fault, really. I should have thought about it, but I was... uh... distracted." Her cheeks turn rose red at the last bit.

Elizabeth, Bonnie offers to have any snacks you want brought here. What do you want? After it arrives, she starts asking about you and your family. What do you tell her?

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Capfalcon posted:

Jeanine, you don't really have anything on hand for a snack, but your stomach is gurgling. You're pondering sneaking off campus to grab something from a convince store when you hear a small groan from underneath you. You look down and see the sewer grating you're standing on buckle and then snap. Suddenly, you're plunged into damp and fetid darkness. Between the clanking metal and splashing water, you're not quite sure, but you think you hear something growling behind you. What do you do?

Jeanine
Jeanine Delacroix
Hot -1 Cold: 1 Violatile -1 Dark 2
Harm 0/4 exp: 0/5 Condtions: Touchy, rulesbreaker

Ugh. ick. Things are dark, and wet, and they smell of poo poo. That calls back some really loving bad recent memories. But they'd do that for a lot of people here. I manage to get up, the broken sewer grating giving just a little bit of light, out of my reach. I get up to my feet, at least nothing broken. gently caress, well, there goes the plan to go to the church today, unless I want to do that smelling like sewage. And I just showered. Sewer grating must have been damaged during one of the hurricanes. Something got damaged enough to be unstable, but not enough to be directly seen, and there's so much stuff to fix.

I get up and reach for my cell to call Toby. This is one of those very immediate pragmatical problems he's better at. Except then I hear a noise. A growling noise. Now, a normal teenager might be worried because she has no idea what might be here in the sewer. Me, I'm worried because I have a few ideas. But you know what? gently caress that. I am a Mambo! I deal with spirits older than this country, they come when I bid, and they leave when I ask. I have knowledge. I have power. I do not go running and pleading for help just because it's dark and I think I hear something.

Out comes a lighter. A lot of things I have are cheap, but this is a quality lighter. Used to light candles and on occasion cigars. Steadying my breathing, I open it, and a small yellow flame pierces the darkness.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 2/5
My eyes widen a little bit when Jamie starts talkin' about Maggie. I try to remind myself I don't really know anything about it, but gently caress, what if she's, like, dangerous? "Look, Jamie," I start, checking behind me to make sure Magdalena is out of earshot. How do I explain this poo poo? "I know Maggie's your friend and all, and she seems super nice, but you might wanna... watch your step around her." I glance at Toni for support. "I mean, there's just some, like, strange fuckin' rumors goin' around. Probably nothin'! But, I mean, you know." I bite my lip nervously, scrabbling for words. "You can never be too careful. Sometimes, sometimes poo poo isn't what it seems, right?"

loving hell, I must sound like a complete rear end in a top hat. My cheeks are burning again. Why the hell did I bring this up?

Shut down Jamie: 2d6-1 3

megane fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 13, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
"You ever been afraid something's wrong with you then hear everyone says so behind your back, Ana? You'll start to agree them, like they know something you don't, instead of trying to prove them wrong..." I sniff and try to speak normally and coherently but fail.

"I sent your text. No need to thank me, you've done enough already. Bye."

shut down ana: 2d6+2 6

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jeanine, you see blackness. The light banishes the darkness, but leaves blackness behind. Obsidian eyes gleam the flame's reflection, blinking in... surprise? Or maybe they're always like that.
And then you see white. The pearly, unnatural whiteness of the teeth leering at you. You don't see anything else before your mind goes blank as it's pumped full of adrenaline. Fight or flight time. What do you do?

Magdalene, you've finished your conversation with the boys and had decided to go for a walk. Maybe you need to exercise your bones to keep them from going all flabby. While walking, you overhear a snippet of the conversation around the corner. You hear Anastaise say, "I know Maggie's your friend and all, and she seems super nice, but you might wanna... watch your step around her." You don't hear the rest until you get closer. "You can never be too careful. Sometimes, sometimes poo poo isn't what it seems, right?"
Jamie then tries to stand up for you but chokes back some tears on the last part, making it lose some of its effect. No one seems to have noticed you lurking nearby. What do you do?
Jamie takes the condition Outcast.

Toby, you get a call from Jeanine. She doesn't really say anything. At least, nothing you can hear over the yelling and growling. What do you do?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Magdalene DuRousseau

It hurts to hear the words, no matter how true they are. Jamie should be more careful around me. Anastaise has a good instinct in this regard. Nonetheless I am cut to the quick by the accusation, and Jamie's response to it rings true. I have at times started to believe myself to be the creature that killed Papa and nothing more. I take a moment to compose myself before stepping from around the corner. Only an very observant person could detect the tremble in my voice, or the slight shine in my eyes.

"Anastaise is right, Jamie. Sometimes...things are not as they seem. For instance, she gave the seeming of a friend to a lonely girl, and I suppose I gave the seeming of a naive fool.

Shut Down Anastaise: 2d6+2 10

I'll give Anastaise the condition 'False Friend.' I think she has a string to spend on Maggie if she wants to downgrade the result and give a condition back.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Capfalcon posted:

Elizabeth, Bonnie offers to have any snacks you want brought here. What do you want? After it arrives, she starts asking about you and your family. What do you tell her?

Elizabeth Anderson

"I'll have whatever your having." Right now Elizabeth just wants food and is not particularly caring as to what. When the question turns to family Elizabeth is kind of honest "Not much to tell, Hurricane wiped out our house and nearly took me with it. I was in hospital for a while. Dad's job's literally still underwater but Mom's been busy trying to pay the bills." Elizabeth figures it's best to gloss over a few of her own doubts about the whole story. Bonnie is probably just making polite conversation anyway.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Jeanine
Jeanine Delacroix
Harm 0/4 exp: 1/5 Condtions: Touchy, rulesbreaker

I may not be the most experienced mambo, but I know the power of magic and the loa when faced with a monster like that. And that is exactly why I extinguish the lighter, turn around and run, run and not worry about stepping in poo poo or other things, as long as I'm getting away from that thing. I don't think about what it can be exactly, I don't think of what caused this.I I don't really think at all. All I do is sprint my rear end off. Only when I'm at some distance to I fumble for my phone. Got to call Toby.

Not sure if I'l find my cell phone has mysteriously started calling Toby on its own, or if he's getting that call from something else than my cellphone, more mysteriously. Running away from green eyed monster: 2d6-1 11 and marking 1 xp, hurray.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
"Jeez... That's pretty awful for her. I didn't have any idea, but yeah - I'm not holding anything against her, er, or you, don't worry about that." Toby frowns in concern. So she lost her memory, and got something else? Maybe this is some witchcraft bullshit like Jeanine-

Speak of the devil, he's got a call from her, must be something up. She doesn't call him for any little thing, usually just sticks to texts for that. "Sorry, gotta take this. Catch up with you in a bit?" He gives her a smile as he heads off, and only when he's sure he won't be eavesdropped on does he actually answer the phone... and hooooly poo poo. Okay, she's in trouble. Where? Not in the school, surely? But she couldn't have gone far, and surely there's nothing monstrous aboveground at this time of day?

Oh god, the sewer, maybe? But why the hell would she even be there? Nevermind that. He has to find her, and he's not sure where to start - if he just picks any manhole or sewer grate, he could miss her entirely. Closing his eyes, he hopes for something... anything - a vision from God, maybe, or whatever loving thing witches consort with, anything at all.

Gaze into the Abyss 2d6 = 8

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Toby, you can feel anger underneath you. It takes you a moment, but you realize that the water is angry. It's howling for the blood of the one who hurt its child. God, is it LOUD. It's coming from everywhere. You're in New Orleans, after all. The ground is packed full of water.

You see the water coming up and breaking through a sewer grate. It drags Jeanine down into the darkness, where what lurks in the depths can have its fill. Jeanine's flicks on a lighter and you see the monster from last night. it's right in her face. There is a frozen moment of surprise, and then they both run. Somehow, she outpaces the monster, and you know she's right below you. You spring into action. You spot a grate nearby and you pry it up. You see the faint glow of a phone, and you grab her by her shoulders and pull her up. You replace the grate, and collapse to your knees, panting alongside her. The water screams in frustration, and then it's gone. Just the two of you standing near the gym, and one of you covered in sewage up to your shins.

Since he asked for a clear vision, Toby is drained.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 2/5
My heart is sinking as I try to think of what to say to Jamie, but that's nothing compared to the pain when I hear Maggie's voice behind me. "Oh God, Maggie, no, that's, that's not what I..." Panic and shame turn my throat to stone. I look at Jamie, then at Maggie, feeling worthless and weak. Why did I do that? Such a goddamn idiot. poo poo, I'm crying again, gently caress. I just want to fuckin' die, right now.

Standin' up suddenly seems fuckin' impossible, my knees have just gone to poo poo. I collapse miserably onto a bench, clutching hopelessly at my skirt hem; I'm tryin' in vain to stop shaking. "Mags, I just... I am your friend, I'm just... stupid. So fuckin' stupid..."

I pull my knees close and close my eyes. Maybe somehow I'll disappear.

Hold Steady: 2d6-1 8 to remove false friend, but gain terrified (and lose my cool)

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Elizabeth, she shrugs and when a monstrous Hummer gets to the curb, she opens the back door and takes out a container of homemade beef jerky. She seems a little self conscious about the car and offers an explanation. "We have something nicer, but Dad got one of these after we had to spend half an hour going around streets filled with debris. So, my driver takes me to school in this now." Apparently buying a car is the appropriate solution to a casual inconvenience in her circles. After the explanation, she offers you some of the jerky. It isn't filling, but it's pretty tasty. As you she nods and shows concern at the mention of your family's woes. She says, "My dad owns a few construction companies. We came back here because he had to oversee repairs to the home office here. Otherwise, we might have stayed in our house in New York while things got back to normal around here." She goes on, talking about how inconvenient everything is, having to wait for things that she didn't have to before, not seeing her dad every day like she used to.

She then changes the subject to the party, saying, "So, you have anyone that you want to go to the party tonight with? I mean, if you don't, I could pick you up on the way."

Magdalene, as Anastaise collapses onto the bench looking miserable, Toni takes one look at you and bolts, abandoning Anastaise to your wrath.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Elizabeth Anderson, the Hollow

Elizabeth just froze. Had Bonnie really just said what what she'd thought she'd heard? Perhaps her own hearing was defective? No one could be that insensitive surely. Yet Bonnie had said it. She was complaining about some minor triviality as if it was the end of the world. People were out of work people had lost their homes, their parents, their siblings and their jobs. Elizabeth herself had lost her memory, her home, everything that had made her what she was. And this--this rich girl had the sheer gall to complain that the floods had caused her to have to wait for things she wanted. All the warmth vanished from Elizabeth and her fists clenched. In one smooth movement she slapped Bonnie hard across the cheek. As the rage descended she heard herself say "People here have lost everything, their homes, their families, their livelihoods and you--you" Elizabeth pauses for a moment searching her memory for a word foul enough to describe Bonnie "you have the nerve to complain. about how hard done you are due to having to wait for that dress you wanted. To answer your question I don't want to go to the party with you. I don't want to go anywhere with you. You disgust me."

Slapping Bonnie: 2d6+2 10 Gaining one string on Bonnie. Lashing out
You disgust me: 2d6+1 4 shutting her down or not as the case may be.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Elizabeth, the slap rings out like a gunshot. Bonnie puts her hand on her face, as if feeling to make sure that she was actually slapped. While you rail against her, Bonnie's look is so shocked that you don't know if she actually hears any of what you say. At the end, she just stands there staring at you, her hand on her cheek. She suddenly stands, flinging the container of jerky from her lap and runs for the bathroom near the gym.

Still shaking with fury, you decide to take a walk to calm down. As you round the other side of the gym, you see Toby helping a filthy Jeanine out of a sewer grate. What do you do?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 13, 2014

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Elizabeth Anderson, the Hollow

Capfalcon posted:

Elizabeth, the slap rings out like a gunshot. Bonnie puts her hand on her face, as if feeling to make sure that she was actually slapped. While you rail against her, Bonnie's look is so shocked that you don't know if she actually hears any of what you say. At the end, she just stands there staring at you, her hand on her cheek. She suddenly stands, flinging the container of jerky from her lap and runs for the bathroom near the gym.

Still shaking with fury, you decide to take a walk to calm down. As you round the other side of the gym, you see Toby helping a filthy Jeanine out of a sewer grate. What do you do?

Elizabeth walks away. It's the hardest thing she's done in her restarted life. Something inside her tells her to hunt Bonnie down, to dominate her and to show her the truth through violence. Shaking with barely contained fury she stalks off. Perhaps a walk in the fresh air will calm her down. Setting off at a brisk pace she turns a few corners and finds herself face to face with the two people she'd least like to see. Toby and Jeanine. Luckily Toby seems distracted, more interested in pulling up Jeanine from what seems to be a sewer grate. Elizabeth steps over, curiosity temporarily replacing fury, "Is sewer diving one of the latest teenage crazes I've missed?" she asks in an utterly flat voice. Then noticing Jeanines obvious distress her better instincts kick in. "Need a hand with anything?"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Magdalene DuRousseau

While Anastaise is crying and trying to apologize I watch Toni flee. Clearly she has been telling stories about me. I do not know what she has seen, or thinks she has seen, but I will need to discredit her. The alternative is...well, it might solve two problems but it would likely raise a dozen more. Rather than give chase I sit down next to Ana, and gesture for Jamie to sit on the other side. I put my arms around her and gently stroke her hair while she sobs.

"Je vous pardonne, mon ami. A misunderstanding, I'm sure. I appreciate your concern for Jamie's well-being, and I can assure you my intentions towards her are perfectly honorable. I promise I will not harm her, or you. I should not have been so harsh. Now, dry your eyes. I will stay with you as long as you need."

She smells so...strange. Like rum, and smoke, and...fresh earth?. A good smell, but not one that suits her. I rest my head on her shoulder and listen to her breathing while she recovers her self control.

Turn on Anastaise: 2d6+3 11

Using terrified to gain +1, taking a string.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

The water splashes as I make my way. Not going anywhere, just fleeing. Feeling that... thing rushing behind me. I can't die. There's threats to deal with, justice to deal... things to learn. Auntie, the loa, the people of the French Quarter. I can't let them down! I won't. But I can't run much longer.

And then something grips me and lifts me off the ground. "NO! gently caress! LET ME GO!" I call out, elbowing and scratching at whatever has got his grip on me, trying to bite whatever's holding me. It's only when I'm out in the light I see who got me out there. "Toby." I wrap myself around him, still high on adrenalin. "gently caress... you saved me." For a moment I don't care that there's secrets and distrust, that we're somewhere in school, and that I smell of sewage.

Turn on Toby: 2d6-1 7 Toby chooses, give a string, promise something I want, give himself to me

But then it wears off, and I let go. Don't act like some damsel in distress. You're his partner. He needs to be able to rely on you, not having to save you. I get up. I am a voodoo priestess. I need to have things in hand. I need to be in control. "Something's targeted me. And I have a few suspicions. We should... talk more... elsewhere." Short, practical, without weakness. I'll leave the swooning in his muscular arms to those more cheerily apt for that.

And then Elizabeth comes and I eye her. Best not to show my suspicion. "Goddamn sewer grating near the cafeteria broke!" I curse, as I might if that actually happened. "loving wreck this school is. I'm going to the bathroom, get the worst off. If a janitor complains about the filth, you can tell him to suck it! And I might be late for the next class!"

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Magdalene DuRousseau posted:

While Anastaise is crying and trying to apologize I watch Toni flee. Clearly she has been telling stories about me. I do not know what she has seen, or thinks she has seen, but I will need to discredit her. The alternative is...well, it might solve two problems but it would likely raise a dozen more. Rather than give chase I sit down next to Ana, and gesture for Jamie to sit on the other side. I put my arms around her and gently stroke her hair while she sobs.

"Je vous pardonne, mon ami. A misunderstanding, I'm sure. I appreciate your concern for Jamie's well-being, and I can assure you my intentions towards her are perfectly honorable. I promise I will not harm her, or you. I should not have been so harsh. Now, dry your eyes. I will stay with you as long as you need."

She smells so...strange. Like rum, and smoke, and...fresh earth?. A good smell, but not one that suits her. I rest my head on her shoulder and listen to her breathing while she recovers her self control.

Turn on Anastaise: 2d6+3 11

Using terrified to gain +1, taking a string.
Jamie Reeves
I follow Mags's lead and we hug it out with Ana instead of fighting. My friend hugs her neck and brushes her hair with her fingers, so I hold her hand in both of mine, massaging it gently, and lay my head in her lap. I hear the ocean waves in one ear, whispering to me the secrets of Ana's sorrow and of what has her so scared,. Then I close my eyes so I can see them too.

gaze: 2d6+1 10
the visions are lucid and detailed; the visions show you what you must do.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Harm 1/4 Exp 1/5 Conditions: No Manners, Drained
Jeanine, take a string~

God, girl smells so bad he almost gags, and fights like a wildcat when he's saving her rear end, but Toby forgets about all that when she hugs him. Bossy, mysterious, smartass Jeanine acting like this almost stuns him, leaves him lost for words. Even when she disentangles herself from him, he's still almost slackjawed, before he can shake himself back into sense. "Uh... yeah, later. I'll send a text or something, for a place and time?"

As she goes, he looks at Elizabeth. "...Oh, hey. Er, you're going to Cynthia's party, right? I've been meaning to talk to you, like, privately. Mind if we do that tonight?"

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 14, 2014

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jamie, you close your eyes so you can better hear the whispers of the ocean. A scene swims into vision. Anastaise and Toni are in the bathroom. Toni is a mess, while Anastaise is concerned. Toni says something to Anastaise, who reacts with disbelief and horror. Anastaise watching the bathroom so Toni can recover.

You strain to hear what they're saying, but you can only hear the ocean whispering.
"Anastaise knows, but does not believe. The truth has been given to her, but she hides it in the depths, like a pearl. She herself is a child of two worlds, but does not accept others."

You open your eyes, but the vision doesn't end. As you look up, you see that Anastaise has a sword hanging over her head, ready to drop at any moment. An impossibly tall dry selkie is holding it idly in his hands. As you stare up into his face, you realize that he isn't really a dry selkie. He's just wearing a skin, like you wear your dolphin skin. It slips another inch closer, and Anastaise unconsciously flinches. The Selkie Who Isn't a Selkie is looking down at her, without anger or rage, but disappointment on his face. The sword slips closer and closer to Anastaise's neck.

A sob from Anastaise brings you back to yourself.
The Ocean doesn't like him. It wants you to unmask him.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 14, 2014

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jeanine, as you walk over to the bathroom, your phone chirps. You have a message from the fish. Apparently, Anastaise is looking for you. Great. Another problem. Just what you needed. She can wait, though. You've got to get this crap off of you if you're going to meet anyone. As you open the door, you hear a gasp and sob being choked back. You see Bonnie lunge from the mirrors into a stall and slam the door shut. She's doing her best, but you can still hear her muffled sobs. What do you do?

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

I enter the bathroom, hoping tohave a moment to compose myself fully, think things through. But when the door opens, I see miss rich white girl rush into a stall. Oh great. Well, at least she's not trying to talk to me. I was thinking of maybe risking a communion with the loa, but that's not happening right now. gently caress it. I take my shoes and socks off, and take a towel to wipe off my feet. Sure, I hear her sobbing in there. Probably her favorite pony died or something. It's not my problem.

Except it is.

There's a lot of things that could be going on in this place. I just got attacked. Elizabeth acts aggressively like that, and I think something's going on there. There is a man eating creature on the loose. Something weird is going on in St. Florian. I am the mambo of this place. If some thing is hurting students in MY city, in MY school. That is MY problem. And for as much as I loathe Bonnie, and as much as I fantasized about putting a nice hex on her, she hasn't done anything more evil than being aggressively, stupidly entitled.

I look at the stall door, uncomfortable. One decision made, now how do you go from there. "Bonnie. What happened?" I... try not to sound too bossy.

Mind you, if the reason she cries IS something stupid, I give no guarantee I won't throw some salt in her wounds. Being a aggressively, stupidly entitled doesn't merit hexes, but that doesn't mean I can't use perfectly mundane manners to tell her how much she sucks.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jeanine, she keeps crying but manages to sniffle out, "I don't know why everyone hates me. I try and be nice. I really really try, but everyone hates me anyway. You hate me too, don't you?" What do you do?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

MC posted:

Jamie, you close your eyes so you can better hear the whispers of the ocean. A scene swims into vision. Anastaise and Toni are in the bathroom. Toni is a mess, while Anastaise is concerned. Toni says something to Anastaise, who reacts with disbelief and horror. Anastaise watching the bathroom so Toni can recover.

You strain to hear what they're saying, but you can only hear the ocean whispering.
"Anastaise knows, but does not believe. The truth has been given to her, but she hides it in the depths, like a pearl. She herself is a child of two worlds, but does not accept others."

You open your eyes, but the vision doesn't end. As you look up, you see that Anastaise has a sword hanging over her head, ready to drop at any moment. An impossibly tall dry selkie is holding it idly in his hands. As you stare up into his face, you realize that he isn't really a dry selkie. He's just wearing a skin, like you wear your dolphin skin. It slips another inch closer, and Anastaise unconsciously flinches. The Selkie Who Isn't a Selkie is looking down at her, without anger or rage, but disappointment on his face. The sword slips closer and closer to Anastaise's neck.

A sob from Anastaise brings you back to yourself.
The Ocean doesn't like him. It wants you to unmask him.
Jamie Reeves
Poor Ana, she's just like me, haunted by a powerful masquerader who wouldn't hesitate to murder one of his own. The difference is that the ocean wants me to hide from mine, and to help her fight hers. I'll do it. But first Ana has to believe.

I pretend to read her palm, because that'd probably be less weird for her than knowing that I heard it from her lap-shell, then I roll over and look up at her. "Ana, I see a there's a big scary man in your life, too. Whatever they say and do, you have to understand that you're not alone."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

Okay, she's just having some drama time over nobody liking her. No mambo business. Pick having a laugh, or just ignoring her, or maybe just say 'yes' in a dry voice. Proceed with cleaning feet.

"Bonnie."

Oh come on. This spoiled princess feels isolated? Feels like society is against her? Feels like no matter what she does, she's lost in advance. Welcome to school! Class is in session!

"I...."

You can crush her. How many times are you going to get a trust fund, silver spoon brat like her at your mercy like this? Just lay the perfect little burn on her. Maybe she'll call mommie and daddy and this school will be rid of her.

"I don't... hate you."

It's not coming out with quite enough conviction to really be any support.

"You just... it sometimes feels like you think you're better than others. Like you think we're lesser than you because we're not from rich parents. And when you talk about all the things you've got... At home, I live in a glorified container. I poo poo in plastic communal toilet boxes. Remember yesterday when you made a remark about Luke's clothes? How his mom should buy him some decent ones?" I sigh. "Luke can't buy clothes. The clothes he got are the ones he wore when he got evacuated and what charity can give him. And his mom... his mom never got out of Katrina. "

All right. We were gonna try NOT to make her feel worse. "I don't think you're an evil person or anything, Bonnie. And I've... seen some evil folks. Look.... why don't you tell me what happened?"

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 2/5
C'mon, c'mon, stop cryin', I tell myself. Doesn't work the first couple of times; turns out havin' people forgive you hurts almost as bad as havin' them hate you. My throat's startin' to hurt from sobbing, that's just great, and I'm sure half the school is gonna hear about how I broke down like a bitch in the middle of the fuckin' cafeteria.

But finally I manage to pull myself together. Make myself smile. God, my eyes are probably red as hell, I must look like a fuckin' wreck. But it's better. I'm better. Maggie and Jamie are both huggin' me tight, which... feels...

I stand up, suddenly realizing I've had two girls huggin' me in public for the past couple of minutes. Embarrassed for a slightly different reason, now. "Ah, hmm! O, Okay." I straighten my blouse self-consciously. At least I've mostly stopped cryin' now, though I'm still sniffling and shakin' a little. "I. I really am sorry, gently caress, I gotta..." I shake my head, I can't figure out how to explain all the poo poo that's goin' through my head. gently caress me, I don't even understand all the poo poo that's goin' through my head.

Jamie is still holding my hand, why is -- she reads palms? Who the gently caress does that? I -- whoa, what the gently caress, oh no oh poo poo she knows! Panic and confusion race through my mind - no. No, no. Can't be, how the gently caress could she know about Dad, she doesn't know anything, breathe, just breathe. Just a coincidence. I try to make up some bullshit but nothin's comin', so I just stammer out "I know... but... look, if poo poo gets dangerous, I'll come to you, okay? I promise. But I'm fine right now, okay?"

I look over at Maggie, and I'm reminded for a moment of the dark, earthy smell of her skin and the touch of her fingers and okay, wow, I really need to get out of here. "Thanks, for uhm." I lick my lips, then smile weakly. "Look, I'll... talk to you both after school, okay?"

"Tell Jeanine I'll tell her ab- that I'll see her after school too." That thought shoves the rest of this poo poo out of my mind for the moment. Not a conversation I'm lookin' forward to.

megane fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 14, 2014

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

As you finish explaining Luke's situation, her sobbing escalates into full retching. You hear whatever she had for a snack end up in the toilet. After she stops hurling, she tells you she's fine, which in another situation might be funny. She's going to let you take care of your business. You hear pull out her phone and call for her driver to come pick her up. She makes her way out of the bathroom towards the front of the school. The bell then rings, signaling that third period is about to start.

Despite the rumors that Monsignor Gris, the history teacher, is a white supremacist and Mrs Ordon, the math teacher, is a lesbian, the other two classes thankfully go by uneventfully. Word of the party this evening has percolated throughout the class, and most people seemed interested. Raoul and Simon are probably going to give it a pass, for different reasons, though.

Jeanine Delacroix, you told the school that you were checking yourself out so you could go home to change. They didn't like this idea, but they liked the idea of a negligence lawsuit even less. You lived close enough that you were able to clean up and change in enough time that you could have probably gotten back before third period, but why waste a perfectly good chance to play hookie? Now that you're back on campus, you remember what a popular person you are! Luke and Raoul and Anastaise and Toby are all waiting to talk. Oh, and you still have the monster in the sewers to deal with. What do you do?

Magdalena DuRousseau, Benjamin makes sure to give you his number so you can meet up in the evening. After, Jamie and you figure out that it would probably be better to wait to spring the trap until it's darker. You call Benjamin and tell him that you'd like to move the date up some time.

Jamie, while you're waiting, Davis wants to know what time to expect you, and he gives you his address.

Toby Ceprien, Vicky approaches you after school. She brushes some hair out of her face as she asks if you have plans between now and party time. She's got her arms crossed as she holds her sketchbook against her chest. You're supposed to talk with Jeanine sometime tonight, but you haven't seen her since she ran off after you pulled her out of the sewer. What do you do?

Elizabeth Anderson, you haven't seen Bonnie since you saw her run off to the bathroom, and good riddance. Cynthia asks you to come with her to help get some things for the party. Apparently, you're back in her good graces. What does she want to get that doesn't make any sense?

Anastaise Lumiere, you really, REALLY need to talk to Jeanine. Yeah, sure, Simon is over in the corner, brooding while watching Toby and Vicky chat, but do you really have time for that now?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 14, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

MC posted:

Jamie, while you're waiting, Davis wants to know what time to expect you, and he gives you his address.
Jamie Reeves
I tell him I'm hungry for food and to learn his cooking secrets ASAP, and have him walk me to his home. After all there's a party tonight and I want to leave myself plenty of time to get ready for it and do this errand.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jamie, he's a little surprised, but he offers you his arm for the walk back. He lives about a ten minute walk away. He's actually staying in his house, which it is a modest shotgun house. Since it was on a raised pallet, the flood waters were prevented from doing any damage to the inside. As he opens the front door, he says, "Oh, by the way, my parents have been working late recently. They work at a restaurant near here, and in a few years, I'm probably going to join them." He leads you to the back of the house, through a living room and a bedroom,

The power is still out around these blocks, so he kept the salmon in an old fashioned ice box. He starts a gas stove, over your protests. "I know, I know. You want it raw. This isn't for the fish. It's for the rice and soup." While waiting, he dices vegetables for the soup, his knife flying while conversing with you. He gets the pots boiling and places the rice in one and the veggies he's diced into the other. While that's going, he starts cleaning the fish and cutting it into strips. He offers to show you how to do it, handing you the knife. He starts to lean in close against your back, guiding your hands as he shows you the way to use the knife to remove the scales and other parts, only leaving the flesh that will go into the sushi roll.

Soon enough the meal is ready. If it tastes half as good as it looks, it might be the best meal you've had since you've come on land.He takes out a bottle of rum and two glasses. He grins sheepishly, saying, "I know it doesn't quite go with the food, but it's all I could get. So, you're the guest. What do you want to toast?"

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
I point the knife at him jokingly when he threatens to spoil this perfect fish, "That rum can wait! It'll go better with dessert anyway. I want to savor this." So I toast with water to the skill he taught me with the knife, "To making the most of it, no matter how little meat there is between the skin and the bones."

And savor the sushi I do. I smell it, lick it, and close my eyes and breathe while I chew it. "MmmmmMM!"

Turn on Davis: 2d6-1 9

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jamie, the food is even better than it looks. Obviously, Davis wasn't idly bragging when he said he knew what he was doing. And he enjoys watching you appreciate his skill.

After the sushi is gone, he pours you both some of the rum. You notice his eyes run up your legs all the way up to your neck. After he shoots the drink down, he leans in close, going in to kiss you on the lips. What do you do?

• Locked thread