Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Did Maddox ever have an official opinion on his main competitor, Something Awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
I remember there used to be a hell of a lot of games. Like 75 percent of the first page in GBS was either photoshop threads or CYOA game threads, and the other 25 was just threads about stuff in the news.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

NienNunb posted:

Did Maddox ever have an official opinion on his main competitor, Something Awful

of course dude
http://maddox.xmission.com/sa/goldmine.html

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
it sucked

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

isnt maddox dead now

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Wolfsheim posted:

isnt maddox dead now

Nope, he and Dick Masterson do a podcast where they complain about stuff. Strange to see how the old internet humorists have aged/kept doing the same schtick... I wonder if x-e still updates.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines
I can't be the only one that liked the Jean-Jacques Perrey gas chamber music better...can I? :catdrugs:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ultraklystron posted:

Nope, he and Dick Masterson do a podcast where they complain about stuff. Strange to see how the old internet humorists have aged/kept doing the same schtick... I wonder if x-e still updates.

I got curious, and turns out he has a new site where he does the exact same thing: http://dinosaurdracula.com/

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Goons posted:

Nope, he and Dick Masterson do a podcast where they complain about stuff. Strange to see how the old internet humorists have aged/kept doing the same schtick

:irony:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

The hell? I never even knew this was a thing and knew about Maddox about as long as SA. His articles and Youtube videos are still good, but the podcast is pretty boring. Dick Masterson is lame and annoying and I wish he would shut the gently caress up so Maddox can talk.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Brian-San and his magical card game AI was the best loving thing. "QUIT loving WITH MY CHARACTERS!!"

Also, Sephiroth-001 who posted an unironic top 100 list of all the cool stuff he could do which got narrated by a goon. Strangely enough, this whole event seems to have been nuked from the forums.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
forum and other invasions used to be tacitly condoned and we pulled quite a few really good ones. My favorite was the founding of our own cult. We used to block up exits in graphical chatrooms like habbo hotel or that coke one, grey and bald, and preach about the purity of the way, which is nonsensical enough that you can just make poo poo up for hours and hours and not run into any issues.

there also used to be both inter and intra forum wars. FYAD would wade into GBS and start spamming images and idiocy, or goons would get a hate-on for some forum or the other and all register accounts there, drowning it with our limitless numbers.

you gotta remember too that bandwidth didnt flow like wine outta a magic fountain back in the day. any small website or forum that was unlucky enough to get an awful link of the day or whatever would immediately collapse from the sheer weight of goon attention. Slashdot and other large forums had the same effect but it was kinda badass. You know how in some forms of christianity gods voice is considered too powerful for a mortal to hear and live so he's got an entire angel just so he can be heard without murdering people? that's exactly what it felt like. little people cant play with giants without accidentally getting trampled.

Buggerlugs
Aug 27, 2003

"All right, Bellamy came on at Liverpool and did well, but everybody
thinks that he's the saviour, he's Jesus Christ. He's not Jesus Christ"
I remember when torrent forums were here. It was like walking out on a sunny day with no underwear.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
it sucked

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

I remember joe chief and halos in space

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
download the MAY 1. 2001 archive and experience the fun!

yes, you can browse around in netscape (or whatever!) and pretend that the twin towers are still there.

https://archive.org/details/something-awful-forums-2001

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
When I registered I thought if you got banned you got to only post in FYAD forever.

I went in there to see what was going on and I never wanted to get banned.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Halah posted:

I can't be the only one that liked the Jean-Jacques Perrey gas chamber music better...can I? :catdrugs:

Anything with funky Moog is good, but the xploding plastix song just added that special touch. Or maybe that was the floating gas canisters and clouds around the place.

Also, did somebody mention June?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
aw poo poo, all the brian-san stuff is still online

https://sites.google.com/site/admkyle/home2

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i read sa for a long time before i actually registered, and i do remember there being a whole shitload more 'content creation' going on

i remember there was a thread called like 'caption animal pictures' or something dumb that ended up formalizing the impact text over animal picture format that became lolcats and then became like every lovely memes basis. i remember reading that thread and laughing so loving hard at INVISIBLE BIKE

there was a time long before memes were called memes and when those memes, instead of being some idiots lovely opinion over a stock photo or a rageface comic, were something different. mostly retarded videos. i remember being super impressed at that 'all your base' video back in the day with the huge number of well executed photoshops inserting all your base into tons of pictures.

there used to be a ton of really stupid flash videos hosted on SA too. there was one that was just a judge saying 'I FIND THE DEFENDANT.... DEAD IN MY BASEMENT!'

i think SA as a major internet content creator died out after like reddit got big. internet memes became all weirdly codified and run into the ground and unfunny. back in the old days it was all about novelty, then running that novelty into the ground, then moving on. now poo poo is just endlessly run into the ground with like no end in sight. like in the old days a year of internet time was like 10 years of real time in how fast trends moved. all your base was the main poo poo for like a couple of months and then after that it became insanely uncool to still be into it. if it had come around these days it'd just be a picture of the all your base guy with text over it and hed be called 'possessive all your base guy' and people would use it as basically a facebook status post

im not saying stuff was actually that much funnier back then, its just we moved on from unfunny poo poo a lot faster to newer pastures.

the last big thing to come out of here was slenderman, and sure it was pretty entertaining for that one thread, then holy poo poo did everywhere go apeshit for it. now every game is a slenderman game and retarded teens are killing eachother over it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

we had flash videos like hatten.swf and lobstermagnet

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

There were funny threads, douchebags, dickhead mods and every once in a while Lowtax would pop in with a "BAN ME" thread and dozens of people would ban themselves because the'yre unfunny morons. Occasionally a poster would flip their poo poo and go out in magnificent fashion. Goons were fat and ugly, some would hook up and get mocked mercilessly, others took themselves way too seriously (looking at you, Edgecrusher).

Wow, SA today is TOTALLY different.

praxis fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 14, 2014

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Incredulous Dylan posted:

i don't think LF had anything to do with how the forums are now. it was a self contained community that mostly ran out fake SJW types and libertarian shitheads. yeah people would discuss actual social issues and make informative threads pretty often but if you were one of those types who cared more about "tone" and all that terrible tumblr stuff instead of the actual problems you were made fun of. where else would you find some thread that would combine a lot of interesting info on urban transportation planning with jokes and insults? it's a dumb sentence to write but it was always at least interesting to read. if you had bad opinions about how much you loved brown seeking lasers on planes or whatever you would be mocked and maybe someone would tear down your horrible world view. there were also plenty of the sort of threads there you see in fyad lites and bad cliques which are in every subforum. at least a lot of those cliques had interesting ideas behind them, like parodying some obscure and absurd political doctrine.

someone wrote in one of these types of threads about how they thought SA was a creative writing forum when they first stumbled on it and i would say that matches how i always thought of it. i'd say back then there was more freedom to try new ideas and submit material and the community would be more willing to play along or contribute. the shitheads were always run out eventually by flaming but there were more people willing to step up and post an original image/story/whatever. ultimately i think over time more people just signed up who found it funnier to bury every thread in unoriginal ironic spam, or just don't feel it is worth it to try and make a photoshop thread/whatever these days with the way the community reacts to everything now. i still like reading SA overall these days

"lf was nothing like sjw poo poo, it was actually *multi-paragraph description of vindictive, smug sjw poo poo*"

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
There are two things from old SA I want to see again. The guy who made a homemade flamethrower, and the guy who made an epic slip and slide that went like 500 yards. Both of these things were guaranteed to eventually kill someone in their own unique ways

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Invisible Handjob posted:

oh man, this right here too haha
lol at the guy who went to a Yorba Linda water district council meeting and had some of the superstars there hold signs for pictures

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Anyone have pics from when we goon rushed the dating game chat room?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

FirstPersonShitter posted:

there used to be a ton of really stupid flash videos hosted on SA too. there was one that was just a judge saying 'I FIND THE DEFENDANT.... DEAD IN MY BASEMENT!'

http://www.somethingawful.com/feature-articles/next-week-on/

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Killing for Peace has always stuck with me.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2448795&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

All this has done is made me find out that killfrog.com is still a thing

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

this still owns and my friends used to quote this constantly in high school we were pretty cool

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Bishop posted:

There are two things from old SA I want to see again. The guy who made a homemade flamethrower, and the guy who made an epic slip and slide that went like 500 yards. Both of these things were guaranteed to eventually kill someone in their own unique ways

The second one was Bruiser, of Garbage Truck fame. I first found this place because of a link to the water slide thread on Digg.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I briefly poked around the time of JeffK back when I think SA invaded the Planet Namek message boards, which I shamefully a mod of. I remember things going to poo poo really quickly and it was hilarious and awesome.

It was in more recent times, but what was that thread about that alien dude who had an account bought for him? Mr. Bill? Mr. Bigsby? That was fun and cool.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Bonzo posted:

Anyone have pics from when we goon rushed the dating game chat room?

http://www.somethingawful.com/feature-articles/sa-forum-goons/1/

classic.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

people said lots of naughty words at each other and then other people would say "take it to fyad" and then they took it to fyad

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

also lots of posts about "the friend zone" and lots of posts about "the ladder theory" and it was all bad.

but i remember the black science institute sigs and i remember them being

fun

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It was p funny.

2am SA closed for server maintenance crew.

Mopp
Oct 29, 2004

gbs.fm

King Diamond
Dec 26, 2005
AwfulYearbook had some great moments

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

I think the dating game invasion was the funniest thing from the old forums: http://www.somethingawful.com/feature-articles/sa-forum-goons/1/

Also the Spiderman comic strip edits, did we do those?

But the relationship goons and gamers had was my favorite thing about the forums. Like when the goons bombed the poo poo out of a Planetside funeral for some dude who died irl, tons of Battlefield 1942 shenanigans, and I'll still read any thread posted by those Eve dorks in GoonFleet. I loved logging into a game with a [lljk] tag and that alone was enough to encourage endless bitching and rage quitting and it always made me smile. You could even have fun playing completely terrible games like Star Wars Galaxies if there were enough goons. Good times, good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

gently caress yeah i love these

• Locked thread