Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Yeah, it took me a few tries as well. The keys to the battle are poison, turtling, and the resist death accessory that I believe is in the dungeon right before the boss.

Keyword "resist". You still have a chance to instantly die if the game wants you to no matter what! :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
star ocean 4 made me angry. not the writing (which is ludicrous) but by pulling the really tough boss it looks like you're supposed to die to trick. lost a bunch of progress.

on the other hand i've been playing ff13-3 and its the best final fantasy in years. but it runs like poo poo so i'm excited for that to hit pc

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

corn in the bible posted:

star ocean 4 made me angry. not the writing (which is ludicrous) but by pulling the really tough boss it looks like you're supposed to die to trick. lost a bunch of progress.

on the other hand i've been playing ff13-3 and its the best final fantasy in years. but it runs like poo poo so i'm excited for that to hit pc

How far into SO4 are you now?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I don't remember any of them (e: Star Ocean 4 bosses) being "actually" tough once I found out what I should have been doing, though two of them took me forever at the time because I failed to identify the gimmick and I just beat them down with regular attacks, really slowly. I guess whether you can get away with that is more dependent on your level.

Polsy fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 13, 2014

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
gently caress I hate bosses where that you're supposed to die. I don't know how many times I reseted in Dragon Quest 7.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah, I had FPS issues in PCSX2 on Shadow Hearts, but they might have been fixed since last year when I tried it last.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
SH: Covenant ran fine for me at least. Never tried the original, though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Polsy posted:

I don't remember any of them being "actually" tough once I found out what I should have been doing, though two of them took me forever at the time because I failed to identify the gimmick and I just beat them down with regular attacks, really slowly. I guess whether you can get away with that is more dependent on your level.
Don't forget one of them casts Doom on you if you take too long

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

"Too long" meaning you're taking over 20 minutes in a fight which literally takes around 7 minutes if you've never leveled up your characters or changed your equipment.

Generally any fight that is taking too long involves not using buffs or debuffs. They are absurdly powerful and not using them is seriously wrecking your damage output.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

"Too long" meaning you're taking over 20 minutes in a fight which literally takes around 7 minutes if you've never leveled up your characters or changed your equipment.

Generally any fight that is taking too long involves not using buffs or debuffs. They are absurdly powerful and not using them is seriously wrecking your damage output.
I used my buffs and debuffs! And I levelled up my dudes into the lvl 4 of their primary classes! And they had 2nd-tier star weapons! But these bosses have tanky-rear end HP and it doesnt help that they do their mega-attacks even when staggered, forcing me to take at least one person off the attack to heal.

But I still would've beaten the 2nd form if it didn't randomly cast Death and kill Lightning.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

I meant Star Ocean 4 there, probably should've been clearer. But yeah, agreed regarding FF13.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

now you'll see what i'm made of! now you'll see what i'm made of! now you'll see what i'm made of! now you'll see what i'm made of!

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

gently caress I hate bosses where that you're supposed to die. I don't know how many times I reseted in Dragon Quest 7.

Never rage-reset a Dragon Quest game, or any other game where there's no meaningful penalty for dying.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tendales posted:

Never rage-reset a Dragon Quest game, or any other game where there's no meaningful penalty for dying.

I ragequit DQ7 after I have 2 hours of playtime but never been in a battle. idk how I managed to play this poo poo when I was like 8

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kild posted:

I ragequit DQ7 after I have 2 hours of playtime but never been in a battle. idk how I managed to play this poo poo when I was like 8

You were probably pretty close to having one. They start when you finish loving around in the ruins. And then they're vaguely pointless for another 10 hours til you finally unlock the class system.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

You were probably pretty close to having one. They start when you finish loving around in the ruins. And then they're vaguely pointless for another 10 hours til you finally unlock the class system.
That sounds like poo poo.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

The worst is you have to search the whole loving world for shards to open up more of the world. I couldn't finish DQ7 when I was younger because I couldn't figure out where the loving missing shard was.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

It's a literal hundred hour game, half of which is fixing the social lives of NPCs.

Kild posted:

The worst is you have to search the whole loving world for shards to open up more of the world. I couldn't finish DQ7 when I was younger because I couldn't figure out where the loving missing shard was.

Someone shows up about 8-10 hours in to help with that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

star ocean 4 has these huge, empty environments with nothing in them. it's making me mad.

is resonance of fate any good?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

fun fact: you can skip all the cutscenes in star ocean 4

except for the welch ones

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

resonance of fate has a neat combat system but there's not much variety, it gets old before the end especially if you play it in long sessions

the plot is practically indecipherable, especially without reading the random books they released, and the cutscenes are like 50% dumb sex jokes, but the dumb sex jokes actually land sometimes.

i wouldnt call it great but if you can get it for cheap it's worthwhile. I got it for about $20 and felt that was about right.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The story in Resonance of Fate is fairly short. Most of the time will be sunk on weapon tweaking and various "kill a UFO" sidequests, which expire as the plot moves on. There's also the Arena with 500 (?) stages where the end boss is a duo of giant mechas using howitzers as semi-auto rifles.
I liked the way the enemies started wearing more and more lids and pots as the game progressed to counter my five-sight six-barrel four-handle pistols and SMGs. It's a shame the gun upgrades never actually render in battles.

The setting, the characters and the mechanics can be amusingly over the top, but once you get the feel for combat every battle will be almost the same, and most of the money will go on pretty dresses and rad shades which have no impact on gameplay,

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
RoF is something everyone should try now that it's pretty cheap. The gameplay is unique really fun until you figure out a few game-breakey things, and I really liked the slice of life narrative that has complete nonsense happening in the background.

also dress-up and guns with seven scopes, three stocks and ten clips.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Endorph posted:

the plot is practically indecipherable, especially without reading the random books they released, and the cutscenes are like 50% dumb sex jokes, but the dumb sex jokes actually land sometimes.

There's also this scene, to give people a good idea of the game's style of humor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owAoZzYgKec

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

It's a literal hundred hour game, half of which is fixing the social lives of NPCs.
this isn't a proportion thing. You still have to play all 12 of those hours to do poo poo with the class system. That just seems too long.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

this isn't a proportion thing. You still have to play all 12 of those hours to do poo poo with the class system. That just seems too long.

The game is paced so that you're still getting decent benefits from simply leveling up til right about when you get there. The class system itself doesn't help much when you get it, as it takes loving forever to level up classes.

Don't get me wrong, the game gets lapped by loving continental drift but you don't spend all that much time in combat anyway.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 14, 2014

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

This is completely unrelated to anything going on right now but does anyone have a link to that one cutscene in Star Ocean 3 where they reveal the plot twist I need it right now

e; nevermind i found it

Dryzen fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 14, 2014

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Oh man you can get endgame magic from Mana Egg Fusion in Grandia 3, midway through Disc 1. This game owns. I love systems that let you totally stomp a game's difficulty curve.

e: well there goes the optional boss you're supposed to finish in Disc 2 :v:

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 14, 2014

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I decided to play through the entire Ultima catalogue, because why not, and spent the last week beating Ultima I. I think that it's impressive what was achieved in 1980, but jesus, the quality of life improvements we picked up over the years make it so much more annoying.

At times it's hard to say if there is a game in there - it's more like a series of exploits strung together into something resembling gameplay.

With Ultima 2, I tried for a few hours, but it's just too random and lacking any coherent plot. Also, the GoG version seems to be unable to restart or create a new character, and since there wasn't that much playtesting back then, if you gently caress up your opening moves trying to figure WTF is going on (is that... Is it... Europe?), you're hosed with no return an hour later, running out of money, cash and/or food.

I jumped to Ultima 3 and it's more interesting so far, even if the interface is poo poo - it sucks to equip just one char, but here you get four. Still desperatly looking for a plot and a spell list.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 14, 2014

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

There isn't really a plot until Ultima 4 and even then it's basically about aspiring to become the Avatar. 5 onwards gets much more plot heavy.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I would honestly just skip to 4 at this point, 3 is super loving grindy and so is 4 but 4 is at least interesting in other ways.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

What the gently caress:

http://gematsu.com/2014/12/saga-2015-announced-ps-vita posted:

The next game in the SaGa series is a PS Vita title due out in 2015, Square Enix announced during this morning's SaGa 25th anniversary live stream.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Stelas posted:

What the gently caress:

Between that and Legend of Legacy, whatever that turns out to be, next year could be a great year for SaGa-esque stuff.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Exclusive to the handheld console nobody gives a gently caress about

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

RoF is something everyone should try now that it's pretty cheap. The gameplay is unique really fun until you figure out a few game-breakey things, and I really liked the slice of life narrative that has complete nonsense happening in the background.

also dress-up and guns with seven scopes, three stocks and ten clips.

I loved this game until I started to realize how repetitive it was. Like every mission is just the same exact same fight over and over again repeated 3, 4, or 5 times, even missions that explicitly say "go and kill this monster" as if there's only one of them. No, still 4 identical fights.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Exclusive to the handheld console nobody gives a gently caress about
Hey, the Vita thread gets more posts than this one does

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Respect the Vita.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
The Vita is exactly the right console for a SaGa game.

Now the browser game they announced... ugh.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Machine posted:

Now the browser game they announced... ugh.

It's okay! Breath of Fire and Sakura Wars browser games were just the sort of booster shot those IPs needed and uh...yeah nevermind, SaGa is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Oh my GOD. That's it, they found the magic button to sell me a Vita instantly. poo poo.