Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also this whole fight could have been solved by just saying 'let's just have two christmas celebrations, we'll have ours on Christmas Eve and you can have yours on Christmas proper, she gets two happy Christmases and both of us get to do our plans'. Like, there was no trip or something or some 'jeez Larry I know this sucks but we bought tickets' thing, he was bitching because he wanted Christmas dinner and gifts.

Yea gently caress New Dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008
Been on a real WHM binge. Show is hilarious but I have to say that Chris gabbin is a very unfunny individual, episodes with him on it seem to grind to a halt every time he talks. He stinks.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Funny to hear the description considering it's coming partly from WWE studios, that's a big complaint about how they book their wrestling hero characters as well, lots of "why am I supposed to cheer this guy? He's a bit of a dick for no reason."

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

ChristianDB posted:

Been on a real WHM binge. Show is hilarious but I have to say that Chris gabbin is a very unfunny individual, episodes with him on it seem to grind to a halt every time he talks. He stinks.

*Cabin, and yeah he's the one of the three who doesn't dabble in comedy at all. But he's there because he has the deepest film knowledge by far. He serves his purpose, occasionally. I wouldn't be sad if every episode was Andrew/Steve/Eric though.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

HEY KEWL!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's actually cool beans now, because that way both the man child and the real child can spout it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I died during the Stone Cold Stunners discussion.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008

too bad chris cabin is in on this one but cannot wait.

I want to say "food fight" is probably my favorite since this absolute lunacy behind each character. An Italian moose, a lizard creature to sell whatever the hell? A chocolate squirrel? I love it

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

The best things come in bears.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ChristianDB posted:

too bad chris cabin is in on this one but cannot wait.

I want to say "food fight" is probably my favorite since this absolute lunacy behind each character. An Italian moose, a lizard creature to sell whatever the hell? A chocolate squirrel? I love it

Bring back the Noid!

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Canvas. If the only funny part was the impression of the guy from "American Movie," it would still be my favorite.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Those are both great episodes, my favorite is probably Mortal Kombat, just for the part where they talk about the nudality guy from middle school. Then working in the Lambert laugh. Also the impression of Raiden telling the guy who dies in the movie "I'll bring in the hint book tomorrow".

Would this be the right thread to talk about Eric's other podcast, Blame it on Outer Space? Apparently it's not very popular on SA, which they talk about in their new episode about Slenderman ( http://www.blameitonouterspace.com/2014/12/case-file-9104-slender-man-rich-mchale.html ). It's more hit-or-miss than WHM, but this is a pretty good episode, and it occasionally hits the same highs as WHM.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Twitch posted:

Those are both great episodes, my favorite is probably Mortal Kombat, just for the part where they talk about the nudality guy from middle school. Then working in the Lambert laugh. Also the impression of Raiden telling the guy who dies in the movie "I'll bring in the hint book tomorrow".

Would this be the right thread to talk about Eric's other podcast, Blame it on Outer Space? Apparently it's not very popular on SA, which they talk about in their new episode about Slenderman ( http://www.blameitonouterspace.com/2014/12/case-file-9104-slender-man-rich-mchale.html ). It's more hit-or-miss than WHM, but this is a pretty good episode, and it occasionally hits the same highs as WHM.

They talk about SA?

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of that show, mainly because the couple episodes I've listened to had Eric kind of playing out this talk show host monologue bit to start off that was just horribly unfunny. I'll give this one a listen, though.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

They talk about SA?

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of that show, mainly because the couple episodes I've listened to had Eric kind of playing out this talk show host monologue bit to start off that was just horribly unfunny. I'll give this one a listen, though.

Any of the episodes that have the other guys from WHM as guests are usually worth listening to.

For a good start, I'd recommend the recent episode on Shakespeare.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I got to the part where he talks about it. Do people complain about them much on SA? I've seen it come up like once, but maybe it's in a thread I don't read.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Twitch posted:

Those are both great episodes, my favorite is probably Mortal Kombat, just for the part where they talk about the nudality guy from middle school.

My freshman year in college there was a guy on my floor who would go on and on about how the next MK game should have "felati-alities".

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
On paper blame it on outer space should be extremely funny since Eric is probably the funniest dude on WHM but in reality it's this weird radio play where people stay in character for an entire episode and it's really draining. There were a few early episodes that were basically WHM for conspiracies, which was what the show should be, but since then I can't listen to it.

He also very clearly doesn't have even 10% of the chemistry with his co-host that he has with the WHM guys which hurts the show even further.

Tomahawk fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 11, 2014

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Eric calling us out was a pleasant surprise.

You're alright, dude. Keep up all your good work. :)

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008

Tomahawk posted:

On paper blame it on outer space should be extremely funny since Eric is probably the funniest dude on WHM but in reality it's this weird radio play where people stay in character for an entire episode and it's really draining. There were a few early episodes that were basically WHM for conspiracies, which was what the show should be, but since then I can't listen to it.

He also very clearly doesn't have even 10% of the chemistry with his co-host that he has with the WHM guys which hurts the show even further.

Eric and steve rule so much together. I don't know about you but that Shakespeare epsiode was just hilarious. Sir patrick stewart attacking "fatties" for no reason and how they just laughed along because he was famous and not weird had me in stitches.

I dunno, we already have a WHM, I like that it's a bit different. Although I've only listened to 2 episodes, so I don't know what's going on.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's not bad, it's just a different style of podcast.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Eric bits are some of the best parts of WHM episodes, but his personal show sucks. I don't understand it myself, Eric! It doesn't make sense!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I like Blame It on Outer Space a lot. Of course, my grandfather has nearly an entire library dedicated to conspiracy books that I grew up reading, so I find conspiracies pretty fun anyway. That definitely gives it some edge. But I like Eric's hosting, too.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
This week's HDTGM was great, mostly because A View to A Kill is great. I'm not through the episode yet, but do they mention what a glass house Bond is in calling Zorin a "psychopath"? I mean just in this movie, he sleeps with Mayday for no reason, one of four women in just this movie. He has no empathy for the people he kills, even the ones that are just goons, as he quips about a heavy being "all wrapped up" after he's stuck on a conveyor belt and stuck in a box. He also engages in constant thrill-seeking behavior, and lies to people for no reason: he gives Tanya Roberts an outrageous story about being a reporter, but why? And Chris Walken is the psychopath?

This week's Flophouse was lame, as the lack of a real plot seemed to keep the floppers from really digging into anything and just meant more "Dan laughs at a marginally funny Elliott riff" that is my second-least favorite thing about that show.

And I like BioS a lot, but most of the "guest" eps just don't work for me. I got unreasonably excited recently when a woman called me to talk about how she was re-suing the government re: HAARP. Disappointingly, she didn't get mentioned by the ep, but she's so crazy I had to find her user comments: https://disqus.com/by/vicki_mclean/

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

laz0rbeak posted:

This week's HDTGM was great, mostly because A View to A Kill is great. I'm not through the episode yet, but do they mention what a glass house Bond is in calling Zorin a "psychopath"? I mean just in this movie, he sleeps with Mayday for no reason, one of four women in just this movie. He has no empathy for the people he kills, even the ones that are just goons, as he quips about a heavy being "all wrapped up" after he's stuck on a conveyor belt and stuck in a box. He also engages in constant thrill-seeking behavior, and lies to people for no reason: he gives Tanya Roberts an outrageous story about being a reporter, but why? And Chris Walken is the psychopath?

This week's Flophouse was lame, as the lack of a real plot seemed to keep the floppers from really digging into anything and just meant more "Dan laughs at a marginally funny Elliott riff" that is my second-least favorite thing about that show.

And I like BioS a lot, but most of the "guest" eps just don't work for me. I got unreasonably excited recently when a woman called me to talk about how she was re-suing the government re: HAARP. Disappointingly, she didn't get mentioned by the ep, but she's so crazy I had to find her user comments: https://disqus.com/by/vicki_mclean/

That's unfortunate, because last episode's "Dan laughs at an Eliot riff" was glorious.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Matt Mira taking his stupidity to new heights by calling Grace Jones, possibly the darkest woman to ever live, a mullato. At least I think it was Mira. He and Gourley kinda sounded alike with the live audio and I always assume it's Mira with the dumb comments.

Production
Jun 11, 2001

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Matt Mira taking his stupidity to new heights by calling Grace Jones, possibly the darkest woman to ever live, a mullato. At least I think it was Mira. He and Gourley kinda sounded alike with the live audio and I always assume it's Mira with the dumb comments.

I think it was Gourley talking about being attracted to an impossible fusion of Grace Jones and Tanya Roberts.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Production posted:

I think it was Gourley talking about being attracted to an impossible fusion of Grace Jones and Tanya Roberts.

Ah. Still the most archaic word he could've chose, but at least I get it now.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I was surprised that I didn't hate Matt Mira that much in the HDTGM episode. Maybe I would give James Bonding a try; Mira was one of the reasons I hadn't listened to it.

This week's Flop House had pretty much no discussion of the plot of the film....but it's From Justin to Kelly, I don't know who would care a bit about the plot of such a terrible movie.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

radlum posted:

I was surprised that I didn't hate Matt Mira that much in the HDTGM episode. Maybe I would give James Bonding a try; Mira was one of the reasons I hadn't listened to it.

This week's Flop House had pretty much no discussion of the plot of the film....but it's From Justin to Kelly, I don't know who would care a bit about the plot of such a terrible movie.

Matt Mira annoyed the poo poo out of me

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Jesus Christ, that picture.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Outside of that weird "mulatto" comment, what's so bad about Matt Mira?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Re Flop House:

A: They talk about the movie for a good forty minutes, and are very clear that there's nothing to support a long-form discussion.

B: This wasn't their pick. Blame the contest winner.

C: If you don't laugh at "Buffeted by the winds of fate, Batman!" I don't know what to tell you.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Equeen posted:

Didn't really say anything funny at all, and interrupted Jason during one of his rants, so he can eat butt

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, but Jason was also talking over everyone else more than usual, so it balances out.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Equeen posted:

This is his one funny contribution in 5 years of being a semi well-known comedian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cEja1zCsbQ

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

This is his one funny contribution in 5 years of being a semi well-known comedian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cEja1zCsbQ

The other fat guy in that golf cart looks positively svelte compared to him

ed: just got to the action, proclick

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 15, 2014

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

The Modern Leper posted:

Re Flop House:

A: They talk about the movie for a good forty minutes, and are very clear that there's nothing to support a long-form discussion.

B: This wasn't their pick. Blame the contest winner.

C: If you don't laugh at "Buffeted by the winds of fate, Batman!" I don't know what to tell you.

Maybe the episode is so boring that it just seems longer, but they spend just under half of a 74 minute episode even tangentially talking about the movie. And it's just not that funny. I enjoy the Flophouse, but this just wasn't a good episode.

And again, a great episode of HDTGM. "Gross. Won't Watch."

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

laz0rbeak posted:

Maybe the episode is so boring that it just seems longer, but they spend just under half of a 74 minute episode even tangentially talking about the movie. And it's just not that funny. I enjoy the Flophouse, but this just wasn't a good episode.

And again, a great episode of HDTGM. "Gross. Won't Watch."

I liked it well enough, but yeah - probably wouldn't recommend it to a friend. I like Eliot's personality, which sometimes leads to over-defending the show as a whole. Also, I've tried multiple times and just can't get into HDTGM ("IT MAKES NO SENSE!!").

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

The Modern Leper posted:

I liked it well enough, but yeah - probably wouldn't recommend it to a friend. I like Eliot's personality, which sometimes leads to over-defending the show as a whole. Also, I've tried multiple times and just can't get into HDTGM ("IT MAKES NO SENSE!!").

Agreed - not one of their best episodes. I feel they've been slightly off their game for the last few episodes, but they're busy guys and at the mercy of the films they review and whether they provoke hilarity. Can't expect them to be at the top of their game all the time.

I take your point about HDTGM: there can be a lot of hyperbolic shouting, a la "THIS. MOVIE. IS. IN. SANE." But it's gotten better since it started. I was quite entertained by the recent live show episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Eric's whole idea for a Victorian, Alice in Wonderland-esque take on Mario is like legit super interesting.

EDIT: Also, Cpl. Mario Mario, Vietnam war criminal.