Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

poopkitty posted:

Or they are photographers. Every fatty with a DSLR and photoshop is a photographer.

"Look, it's a lone chair in the dark surrounded by confetti. I'm so deep and brooding!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

poo poo quality, but this is back on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhioeOeOHsA

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

MancXVI posted:

Still better than the "global force for good" BS.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

MancXVI posted:

accurate

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

KetTarma posted:

I just want to point out that every navy spouse sells either mary kay, shakelogy, or some other MLM scheme

we had one actually come in and try to con people with that poo poo in our command gym (NSW...they get all the fun toys). Come learn how unhealthy you are with this health test, and then buy our vitamin crap!

I think I put the fear of god into her chief husband when I cited all the navy regs and government ethics rules about seniors soliciting subordinates.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

SpaceJustice posted:

"Look, it's a lone chair in the dark surrounded by confetti. I'm so deep and brooding!"

Hahaha I saw some cockbags taking wedding photos outside of the hospital once in full gown and blues. Some hambeast was using weird angles, her crotchspawn running around a parking lot while mommy "worked".

Edit: Actus, you just made my day. By the way, is here some weird regulation that forbids a naval installation of using a system intended for paging doctors and emergency building-wide announcements for hotdog sales by a civilian club?

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 16, 2014

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

ActusRhesus posted:

we had one actually come in and try to con people with that poo poo in our command gym (NSW...they get all the fun toys). Come learn how unhealthy you are with this health test, and then buy our vitamin crap!

I think I put the fear of god into her chief husband when I cited all the navy regs and government ethics rules about seniors soliciting subordinates.

My watch officer used to spend all night during the midwatch trying to get us to work for him selling Amway whatever.

After a few months, I was the only one in the control room not doing it :psyduck:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

KetTarma posted:

I just want to point out that every navy spouse sells either mary kay, shakelogy, or some other MLM scheme

This is even true in the CG-it's ridiculous. They have a facebook group called Coasties on the Move, which SHOULD be a great resource because people ask what units are like/housing/schools in the area/housing available on the economy, etc., and I've used it a few times, but holy poo poo-every now and then you get someone posting about shakeology or some poo poo. Luckily they get booted most of the time. Other than that I shut the group off because every day there's some dependopatamus saying "My DH is a BM3 and STILL doesn't have orders! It's so nerve wracking!" only to be responded with people consoling them or saying "Got my orders-we're going to San Diego! WOOOOOO!" So damned ridiculous.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

nwin posted:

This is even true in the CG-it's ridiculous. They have a facebook group called Coasties on the Move, which SHOULD be a great resource because people ask what units are like/housing/schools in the area/housing available on the economy, etc., and I've used it a few times, but holy poo poo-every now and then you get someone posting about shakeology or some poo poo. Luckily they get booted most of the time. Other than that I shut the group off because every day there's some dependopatamus saying "My DH is a BM3 and STILL doesn't have orders! It's so nerve wracking!" only to be responded with people consoling them or saying "Got my orders-we're going to San Diego! WOOOOOO!" So damned ridiculous.

I'd rather have someone calling me DH and being dependent than asking me why I'm always trying to PCS away from where she's stationed lol

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

KetTarma posted:

My watch officer used to spend all night during the midwatch trying to get us to work for him selling Amway whatever.

After a few months, I was the only one in the control room not doing it :psyduck:

I used to spend all midwatch trying to talk my sailors out of MLM schemes, spending their GI Bill on Full Sail or whatever, and other stupid sailor poo poo.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

I used to spend all midwatch trying to talk my sailors out of MLM schemes, spending their GI Bill on Full Sail or whatever, and other stupid sailor poo poo.

It's me. I'm the one that wasted TA money on an online degree.

At least I'm doing a real one now :unsmith:

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Pandasmores posted:

Hahaha I saw some cockbags taking wedding photos outside of the hospital once in full gown and blues. Some hambeast was using weird angles, her crotchspawn running around a parking lot while mommy "worked".

Edit: Actus, you just made my day. By the way, is here some weird regulation that forbids a naval installation of using a system intended for paging doctors and emergency building-wide announcements for hotdog sales by a civilian club?

possibly...what club?

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

KetTarma posted:

It's me. I'm the one that wasted TA money on an online degree.

At least I'm doing a real one now :unsmith:

You can't really waste TA. On the flip side, I got my class schedule for the Spring semester! How was the Calculus for you? I haven't done it in around seven years and am a little nervous.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SpaceJustice posted:

You can't really waste TA. On the flip side, I got my class schedule for the Spring semester! How was the Calculus for you? I haven't done it in around seven years and am a little nervous.

If you're worried about calc, go buy a pre-calc book right now and study up on your algebra. You won't grasp calc without fully grasping algebra.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

possibly...what club?

Pretty much any club, civilian to enlisted.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

SpaceJustice posted:

You can't really waste TA.

No kidding. I saw a dude who graduated from Excelsior get accepted to a masters program at Concordia in Wisconsin which is a legitimate (private) school.

I go to wgu but that's mainly because certs are rolled in with tuition for their it programs. If I wasn't in the navy I'd be in an actual school.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Pandasmores posted:

Pretty much any club, civilian to enlisted.

here's the overall regs...if it's a "by our own, for our own" fundraiser, they get a lot of lattitude. (and the hambeasts readiness group generally falls under that) But if it's fundraising for a private charity, big problem

http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/defense_ethics/resource_library/deskbook/fundraising.pdf

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Boon posted:

If you're worried about calc, go buy a pre-calc book right now and study up on your algebra. You won't grasp calc without fully grasping algebra.

Well that makes me feel a bit better. I'm really good at algebra.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

SpaceJustice posted:

Well that makes me feel a bit better. I'm really good at algebra.

Your school will undoubtedly have a whole bunch of tutoring services for science and math courses, but calc 1 is pretty basic as long as you goto class and understand the basics of algebra

Also khan academy and that other dudes calc YouTube videos are more informative than most profs so check those out

Analogical
May 20, 2013

I've heard good things about Univ North Dakota and having a good distance program for military. I'm a year and a half out from a degree, unless I wanted that degree in Arabic in which case I'm six months from a degree, albeit a totally useless one.

I haven't qualified for TA though, because I don't have IDW. But I can't get IDW, because I haven't been at a NIOC long enough to jump their hoops. I do remember being told four years ago there'd be TA at some point, because all the HTs and MA Schmucks I was with not only used it to get degrees, but are already done with their contracts :frog:

Analogical fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 16, 2014

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Analogical posted:

I've heard good things about Univ North Dakota and having a good distance program for military. I'm a year and a half out from a degree, unless I wanted that degree in Arabic in which case I'm six months from a degree, albeit a totally useless one.

I haven't qualified for TA though, because I don't have IDW. But I can't get IDW, because I haven't been at a NIOC long enough to jump their hoops. I do remember being told four years ago there'd be TA at some point, because all the HTs and MA Schmucks I was with not only used it to get degrees, but are already done with their contracts :frog:

Not having an idw pin doesn't disqualify you from using ta.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say your command is awful.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

No kidding. I saw a dude who graduated from Excelsior get accepted to a masters program at Concordia in Wisconsin which is a legitimate (private) school.

I go to wgu but that's mainly because certs are rolled in with tuition for their it programs. If I wasn't in the navy I'd be in an actual school.

My semi-fake Excelsior degree got me accepted to ODU's master in engineering management program... though I'm not sure if that's something to brag about.
My engineering school accepted 0 from there. I usually don't even list it on my resume.

For what it's worth, I've only heard good things about WGU.

SpaceJustice posted:

Calc 1: Struggled a lot at first, had to learn how to stay caught up with the highschool kids. I discovered that trigonometry was actually really important.
Calc 2: Struggled more, gradually got caught up. I regret not learning the sequences section as much as I should've. Basically, you need to have every trig identity, euler identity, and every derivative and integral equation memorized.
Calc 3: Had a poo poo teacher, didn't learn that much. I had to relearn this on my own in diffeq2. I've been told that this will be even more important in my electromagnetics class than it is now.
Linear Algebra: Cake. Not worth mentioning. It's useful stuff though.
Diffeq 1: Great teacher, learned a lot, figured out math. became a math person. Don't forget linear algebra because you use it a lot once you get into systems of differential equations.
Diffeq 2: A little rough in some areas (Method of Frobenius was the hardest part. read the wikipedia article if you want a headache) but there was a ton of overlap with engineering so it helped. Fourier series expansion and Fourier transforms are really important in engineering so don't skimp here.

E: If you have math questions, feel free to PM me. I'm pretty good at it at this point.

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 16, 2014

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Analogical posted:

I haven't qualified for TA though, because I don't have IDW. But I can't get IDW, because I haven't been at a NIOC long enough to jump their hoops.

Yeah your command is loving you.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Angry Fish posted:

I've never been to the Philippines, so thank you for confirming my constructed opinion of the expat community overe there.

If they made a naval base in the Philippines, it would just be another Diego Garcia for the Pacific. No dependents, a lack of usable infrastructure, and a harbor (cause you're sure as hell not using Manila) that makes groundings a common occurance because they simply can't dredge up enough of that soft silt + hard calcium combo deposits to get anything of significant draft through the channel.

edit: It would be an expensive project, is all I'm saying.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/02/us-philippines-usa-idUSBREA4107020140502

I'll look for a better explanation later, but there's a lot of talk about us forward deploying some [more] of our assets back to Subic once the infrastructure is revitalized after we pump some money into it. As we continue to ramp down out of OIF/OEF we're going to continue to pivot back towards Asia (and jumble some assets around there as well).

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

When I was there I want to say there was already Navy contractors/military folk getting things together for that.

Also Marines infantry units are already cycling forward deployments to Darwin, Australia, as sort of a trial and try to make good with them before they move a mob of dudes over

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

KetTarma posted:

My semi-fake Excelsior degree got me accepted to ODU's master in engineering management program... though I'm not sure if that's something to brag about.
My engineering school accepted 0 from there. I usually don't even list it on my resume.

For what it's worth, I've only heard good things about WGU.

Calc 1: Struggled a lot at first, had to learn how to stay caught up with the highschool kids. I discovered that trigonometry was actually really important.
Calc 2: Struggled more, gradually got caught up. I regret not learning the sequences section as much as I should've. Basically, you need to have every trig identity, euler identity, and every derivative and integral equation memorized.
Calc 3: Had a poo poo teacher, didn't learn that much. I had to relearn this on my own in diffeq2. I've been told that this will be even more important in my electromagnetics class than it is now.
Linear Algebra: Cake. Not worth mentioning. It's useful stuff though.
Diffeq 1: Great teacher, learned a lot, figured out math. became a math person. Don't forget linear algebra because you use it a lot once you get into systems of differential equations.
Diffeq 2: A little rough in some areas (Method of Frobenius was the hardest part. read the wikipedia article if you want a headache) but there was a ton of overlap with engineering so it helped. Fourier series expansion and Fourier transforms are really important in engineering so don't skimp here.

E: If you have math questions, feel free to PM me. I'm pretty good at it at this point.

DiffEQ1 (or ODE depending on how it's labeled) is my loving kryptonite. There is no rhyme or reason to it, you just have to memorize the bag of tricks for the various orders of equations. gently caress that class. Both times I had to take it.

DiffEQ2 (or PDE) on the other hand I really enjoyed, and learning Fourier transforms and understanding what's going on in the transition from time domain to frequency domain is legitimately one of the most important things I learned for my Engineering masters.

However, Stats and probs was the most valuable math class I ever took. It's a shame that a lot of Engineering curriculums don't require it. If you have room for a math elective I would highly recommend you take at least the intro class.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014
i only use algebra and geometry

all other maths are for nerds/computers

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

justice4trayvawn posted:

Weather algorithms, robotics, and temperature distributions in metal.

So yes. Nerd.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Weather algorithms, robotics, and temperature distributions in metal.

So yes. Nerd.

if a computer does it for u its ok

if youre sitting there solving FEA stuff irl manually well idk

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

justice4trayvawn posted:

Mostly I agree, but having a rough idea in my head of a frequency range for a given signal shape in the time domain with respect to antenna choice was useful in some of my EE classes.

And I still contend that I use stats and probs principles almost every day. :colbert:

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

They did this at Fallon too and it's pretty silly. They closed down the galley, then renovated the seldom-used dining area of the O Club to add a cafeteria-style buffet line with a fixed price per meal. But it's totally not a galley! The food was actually pretty good, but I don't see why they went to all that trouble to essentially re-invent the wheel. poo poo, I just remembered that our CSes even went TAD there just like they normally would at a galley or on the boat.

You can also get a fixed-price meal at the base cafe/E Club that sells burgers and such. It's like they just arbitrarily made it a lot harder and more disorganized to get a meal.

I fought my ISIC to ensure that whenever the squadron went to NAS Fallon that they were entitled to a PMR, and not GMR due to the 24 on / 24 off schedule because of Fallon's stupid loving galley hours. Still managed to be stuck there without wheels and just eating at Mean Gene's more often than I care to admit. They still have that VirtuaON Arcade Machine? That poo poo fuckin' owned.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

However, Stats and probs was the most valuable math class I ever took. It's a shame that a lot of Engineering curriculums don't require it. If you have room for a math elective I would highly recommend you take at least the intro class.

For some reason, our prob and stats course is offered as a 400 level engineering class for EEs.

Welp, took my last final. I have one presentation to do for a pretty cool math elective class I took then that's it until mid-Jan.

12 classes left.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
When I decided to go into the Navy I dropped engineering as fast as possible. No way I was doing that poo poo for no career reason.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Pandasmores posted:

Got told today by my detailer that I cant use my Guard 2000 to Florida because they have too many spouse colo's during my window.... seriously gently caress you married ppl. I'm tired of your poo poo, cant stand duty, cant show up on time, cant even go to god drat norfolk.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

"Can I go to Spain or Italy?"

"No too expensive of a PCS because of the distance"

*detailer sends dude with wife and 3 kids*

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Christoff posted:

"Can I go to Spain or Italy?"

"No too expensive of a PCS because of the distance"

*detailer sends dude with wife and 3 kids*

PCSing from England in 2009.

"Lot of open billets for squadrons in Washington."

"Too expensive to send across coast."

Ended up at Little Creek.

Fun aside: Noble I worked for, great guy with family and 2 kids, went Norfolk to Hawaii to Norfolk to Australia.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Is that "too expensive" excuse real? I mean, do they have a literal in-house bucket of cash that they grab wads of $100s for the particular day to utilize as their budget? What is going on in PSD and the detailing world, I would really like to know.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Angry Fish posted:

Is that "too expensive" excuse real? I mean, do they have a literal in-house bucket of cash that they grab wads of $100s for the particular day to utilize as their budget? What is going on in PSD and the detailing world, I would really like to know.

The short answer is yes, it is real sometimes.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

ManMythLegend posted:

The short answer is yes, it is real sometimes.

I'd love a long answer. Is there some kind of primer on this available through PSD or someplace?

It just seems so god damned arbitrary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analogical
May 20, 2013

I actually have to deal with my detailer soon. I'm a year out from PRD and haven't made too many concrete decisions.

I have heard people get the "too expensive" line though. As said before though too, nobles seem to be able to go wherever they want regardless of distance or cost. i.e. I can't go to the west coast but my divo just got Kunia for her twilight tour. That may have less to do with that they get better orders and more to do with differences between officer and enlisted billeting though as well.

• Locked thread