Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Vargo posted:

Josh Gad is basically the worst.

Could be worse, they could have the Docevil-looking fucker from Hot Tub Time Machine.

At least Josh Gad was a pretty fun Disney sidekick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vargo posted:

Josh Gad is basically the worst.

I don't think I've ever seen him in anything, but every time I see a photo of him I just want to punch his face.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Yeah, honestly, Olaf was decent in large part because of his delivery.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

I don't think I've ever seen him in anything, but every time I see a photo of him I just want to punch his face.

On first impression he really does seem like a version of Jonah Hill you just want to smear on your boot to prevent him from spreading, like a virus, but when he actually starts performing he's surprisingly likable.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Wait, people don't know who Chris Columbus is anymore?

Yeah, I don't know whether to be sad or happy about that...

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

bowser posted:

Adam Sandler's new movie adaptation of that one Futurama episode?

Judging from those Sony email leaks disparaging Sandler and his movies, these posters are probably the only good things to come out from that film.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Maybe Josh Gad is alright in the right context, this will not be that context

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Could be worse, they could have the Docevil-looking fucker from Hot Tub Time Machine.

Clark Duke was at BOLA 2014 and started a USA chant in just about every match so he's cool with me.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
The fact that i did not see aformentioned futurama episode makes this conversation very difficult to understand.

Im looking at those posters trying to figure out wtf the plot could possibly be, and then Dinklage and the Hot Tub Time machine guy in weird 80s space / custodian suits and

can someone explain this to me?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

schwenz posted:

The fact that i did not see aformentioned futurama episode makes this conversation very difficult to understand.

Im looking at those posters trying to figure out wtf the plot could possibly be, and then Dinklage and the Hot Tub Time machine guy in weird 80s space / custodian suits and

Futurama was a television show that ran out of steam after about three episodes but made references to really obscure things like Star Wars and Pac-Man, so it is good and beloved. The episode the posters are apparently ripping off starts when Fry goes, "Hey Lois, this reminds of that one time that Space Invaders was real!" and that happened.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

schwenz posted:

There was a Futurama episode that was a series of short stories and one of them was "what if life was more like a videogame?" Fry had to save humanity from Space Invaders by basically playing Space Invaders. This is literally the same plot.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Not like a little superficial resemblance that'll get nerds in a tizzy either, it's the exact plot. It was dumb in 2001 too.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
But in one of the posters, San Francisco is being eaten by Pacman, the player character! What, is Adam Sandler going to have to play as one of the ghosts? I find this hard to believe.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

mind the walrus posted:

Not like a little superficial resemblance that'll get nerds in a tizzy either, it's the exact plot. It was dumb in 2001 too.

Thinking about it, even the nerdy jokes in that episode of Futurama were pretty weak; they were usually pretty great about fitting some obscure nerdy thing into a joke, but the references they hinged that whole mini-episode on were all pretty shallow. They were still earnest, though, and it felt a bit like a dad trying to connect with his kids; he's got a shallow reference pool, but he's genuinely trying to make them laugh.

Pixels won't even be that. We'll be looking at that episode of Futurama like The IT Crowd to Pixels' Big Bang Theory.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I laughed when Farnsworth angrily exclaimed that gorrilas aren't donkeys.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Thinking about it, even the nerdy jokes in that episode of Futurama were pretty weak; they were usually pretty great about fitting some obscure nerdy thing into a joke, but the references they hinged that whole mini-episode on were all pretty shallow. They were still earnest, though, and it felt a bit like a dad trying to connect with his kids; he's got a shallow reference pool, but he's genuinely trying to make them laugh.

Pixels won't even be that. We'll be looking at that episode of Futurama like The IT Crowd to Pixels' Big Bang Theory.

That's because Futurama was always made by Nerd Dads from Gen X, it just didn't become obvious until after the DTV movies when the writing staff was shrunk and too old and out-of-practice to have any hip left in them. That's not to say there aren't good jokes, even in the Vidya Gayme episode, but gut-busters were never Futurama's strong suit-- occasional one-liners and speaking from a genuine 60s-80s nerdy kid perspective were. The surprise pathos in the later seasons of the original run were legit though... and then they tried shamelessly to replicate it with the new show and it came off as mawkish bullshit every single time.

"But they do math jokes and there was that one episode where they came up with a real life algorithm?"

Yes. Yes they did and we're all very proud of them. Those bits were still never very funny.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Probably the most telling thing is that even the Futurama writers didn't think the premise could be stretched into an entire episode.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Futurama was good because the writers weren't nerdy enough to make it all bad referential humor, not in spite of it.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Is that the episode where someone said "All your base are belong to us!" and goons got excited because SA had started that poo poo?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
All Your Base most certainly did not start at SA.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Futurama was a show that lived and died on its punch-up. When they came back and they didn't have the resources to let the writer's room gently caress around make up one-liners and jokes to add to the script it became lame references and self-serious sci-fi.

jet sanchEz posted:

Is that the episode where someone said "All your base are belong to us!" and goons got excited because SA had started that poo poo?

You might be thinking of when Family Guy did a Peanut Butter Jelly Time reference and the goon who made it got sent a bunch of Family Guy merch.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Josh Gad was great in Book of Mormon, which is not a movie, but still. I haven't seen him in anything else.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sheldrake posted:

Futurama was a television show that ran out of steam after about three episodes but made references to really obscure things like Star Wars and Pac-Man, so it is good and beloved. The episode the posters are apparently ripping off starts when Fry goes, "Hey Lois, this reminds of that one time that Space Invaders was real!" and that happened.

"What if, that thing I just said!"

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

The MSJ posted:

I laughed when Farnsworth angrily exclaimed that gorrilas aren't donkeys.

The best joke was when Fry couldn't get the last spaceship because he always had his older brother do that part for him.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Josh Gad is so much worse than Clark Duke. At least Clark Duke was great in Clark & Michael. Gad was great in nothing.

e: I didn't see Book of Mormon so I can concede that.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Thinking about buying one of the El Santo posters on eBay in this link, any suggestions http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XEl+Santo+movie+posters&_nkw=El+Santo+movie+posters&_sacat=0

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Umm, how about the one with the Wolfman and Frankenstein's Monster?!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

Umm, how about the one with the Wolfman and Frankenstein's Monster?!

That one's cool, but I also like the one with Blue Demon and Mil Mascaras that looks James Bond-ish "Misterio En Bermudas".

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I also dig El Espectro Del Estrangulador. Reminds me of the M poster.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
S if for Stuff (Like Santo!):

Subtle.

Surreal

Smut!

Staggering!

Sidaris

Seriously Sidaris

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

A couple cool posters from our international dept, apologies for using my flash on a couple...

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Futurama was a show that lived and died on its punch-up. When they came back and they didn't have the resources to let the writer's room gently caress around make up one-liners and jokes to add to the script it became lame references and self-serious sci-fi.

You might be thinking of when Family Guy did a Peanut Butter Jelly Time reference and the goon who made it got sent a bunch of Family Guy merch.

That was when most of the forum had family guy avatars, every episode had its own thread, and ten people at would post about a reference joke and make sure to type out the reference in the post:

(The first person, who italicizes the reference? That's Aatrek.)

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Corek posted:

That was when most of the forum had family guy avatars, every episode had its own thread, and ten people at would post about a reference joke and make sure to type out the reference in the post:

:allears: 2005 was a simpler time

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coffee And Pie posted:

Yeah, back then everyone was a fuckin' simpleton.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Coffee And Pie posted:

Family Guy was the best show, The Boondock Saints was the best movie, and oh man you gotta see this thing called The Ultimate Showdown Of Ultimate Destiny :buddy:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Corek posted:

Famoly Guy fans confirmed pedophiles

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

nm

kiimo fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 19, 2014

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The Hokkusai Tsunami Godzilla one is pretty clever, but I can see why it remained an international poster, since I doubt most Americans know of the ukiyo-e printer.

The Pacific Rim poster, I know, is done by the guy who does the designs for Metal Gear Solid.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

I wish I had the wall space to justify buying one of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Young Freud posted:

The Hokkusai Tsunami Godzilla one is pretty clever, but I can see why it remained an international poster, since I doubt most Americans know of the ukiyo-e printer.

Are you kidding me? 'The Great Wave off Kanagawa' is probably THE work of Japanese art nearly every American recognizes, even if they don't know what it's called (I had to Google it myself just now).