Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

has anyone hypothesized about what we can't do now but will be able to do in the future?

theoretically we will be more efficient. therefore stronger, smarter, longer lived, and our poops will be small concentrated pellets of waste. that is just through selective breeding on a large scale too, not necessarily evolution.

in reality, however, the opposite things will likely happen in that particular scenario. and this doesnt take into account the inevitability of either eradicating ourselves somehow or artificially changes our bodies to circumvent the biological process of genes (and to a far lesser extent actual evolution)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

1gnoirents posted:

we are are just in the middle of it evolution. its just the time you happen to be alive

if we somehow survive, and without human intervention of any sort to our genome, humans a couple tens of thousands of years from now will look at us and literally laugh at how inept our bodies are

I dunno, there's a bunch of animals which haven't really gone anywhere evolution wise.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

hemale in pain posted:

I dunno, there's a bunch of animals which haven't really gone anywhere evolution wise.

they would, given time, with the condition that they arent eliminated from other species or environmental changes

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Cuckoo posted:

Insert Daniel Cormier joke here (I'm sorry)

No but for real Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier could tag team a chimp together and still get owned. Even a pro UFC fighter has the strength of a toddler compared to chimps and other larger ape species.

maybe if you were talking about real fighters, like bruce lee or some poo poo

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Could you beat a leopard OP? Then don't even think about a gorilla https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm9Ox7jcK7I

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

1gnoirents posted:

they would, given time, with the condition that they arent eliminated from other species or environmental changes

No they wouldn't. If there is no impetus for change there is no evolution. A organism perfectly adapted for its environment has no pressure to evolve. Evolution is the response to environmental change. Being stronger, weaker, faster, or slower has not a god drat thing to do with evolution.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

satanic splash-back posted:

maybe if you were talking about real fighters, like bruce lee or some poo poo

the fast hands of bruce lee + the wit of the asian guy from ocean's eleven + the wristbands of john cena + whatever the rock is cookin

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

dads a mall cop posted:

the fast hands of bruce lee + the wit of the asian guy from ocean's eleven + the wristbands of john cena + whatever the rock is cookin

*witty man cracks wise, is thrown like a rag doll into crowd by gorilla, breaking his neck and killing a small child*

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

has anyone hypothesized about what we can't do now but will be able to do in the future?

Babies will be better composers than Beethoven, and beyond that we have no idea. It's like a chimp trying to imagine what being a human is like.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

okay yeah ON GENERAL gorillas are stronger than humans and even some chimps are stronger than humans, sure

but i wouldnt say that I PERSONALLY am not as strong as a chimp or gorilla. i think that humans IN GENERLA are weak and arent strong but i dont think i, like a lot of people here, are generally weak. with proper training and diet, a human could be on par with a chimpanzee or some goriallas, because a pound of muscle is a pound of muscle.

im not saying that working out for like 5 days a week and eating turkey is necessarily enough but like if you had months maybe years to prepare and train for a gorilla fight you could get to a point where you're just as strong as if not stronger than a gorilla. of course at that point it would have to be a man doing the fighting because of (lets face it people) biotruths. it requires a certain degree of strength that can only be developed with rigorous work and, frankly, genetics.

Lol ur a dog, you cant lift poo poo, you just bark and eat shoes.

You are a good dog though, A VERY GOOD DOG! *pat pat*

1gnoirents posted:

theoretically we will be more efficient. therefore stronger, smarter, longer lived, and our poops will be small concentrated pellets of waste. that is just through selective breeding on a large scale too, not necessarily evolution.

in reality, however, the opposite things will likely happen in that particular scenario. and this doesnt take into account the inevitability of either eradicating ourselves somehow or artificially changes our bodies to circumvent the biological process of genes (and to a far lesser extent actual evolution)

We will be asthmatic, diabetic, unable to go outside due to intolerance to sunlight, unable to lift a cup of tea, have massive brains but just use them to watch anime and pony cartoons, and will rely on robots to move sperm from the penis into the vagina as *effort*.

spud fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 17, 2014

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

fivethree posted:

just wondering tia

calisthenics

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
if chimps are so strong then how come I can beat up all the ones I see down at the dog park so easily?

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mysterious frankie posted:

if chimps are so strong then how come I can beat up all the ones I see down at the dog park so easily?

Those were chihuahuas. The one you kicked over that fence is now dead. You ruined families. Hope you are happy.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
keep your chimp hand strong

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

spud posted:

Those were chihuahuas. The one you kicked over that fence is now dead. You ruined families. Hope you are happy.

Well that explains why they were all wearing dog collars... pfffff, whatever.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Chimps are naturally swole because they don't rely on tools to do things. Humans evolved past needing to punch other animals to death or dismember other chimps with our bare hands because we designed tools to do it for us. From an evolutionary point of view this is far better because it means we don't need to waste shitloads of energy maintaining being swole or growing swoleness. chimps are dicks.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

gently caress cardio; the bronze age killed gains.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Drone_Fragger posted:

Chimps are naturally swole because they don't rely on tools to do things. Humans evolved past needing to punch other animals to death or dismember other chimps with our bare hands because we designed tools to do it for us. From an evolutionary point of view this is far better because it means we don't need to waste shitloads of energy maintaining being swole or growing swoleness. chimps are dicks.

I cannot take this comment seriously from someone called "Drone_Fragger" with that Av, and that txt. What the gently caress.

Also, why do women still want you to be swole then?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

spud posted:

I cannot take this comment seriously from someone called "Drone_Fragger" with that Av, and that txt. What the gently caress.

Also, why do women still want you to be swole then?

I badmouthed UKIP in a thread about how poo poo UKIP is and some rightwing ukiper bought me it.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Drone_Fragger posted:

I badmouthed UKIP in a thread about how poo poo UKIP is and some rightwing ukiper bought me it.

UKIP ALL THE WAY! UKIP UKIP......GOOOOOOO NIGEL!

Do you really frag drones though? I;ve never seen one

Also, answer my question please.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Drone_Fragger posted:

Chimps don't punch.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
how come mail kimp are

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

1gnoirents posted:

we are are just in the middle of it evolution. its just the time you happen to be alive

if we somehow survive, and without human intervention of any sort to our genome, humans a couple tens of thousands of years from now will look at us and literally laugh at how inept our bodies are

Humans are hosed as far as evolution goes because A) nothing is eating us to weed out the weak, and B) babies born that would have died are saved by doctors and then go on to have kids.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think people realize how freaking massive gorillas are.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Say Nothing posted:

I don't think people realize how freaking massive gorillas are.

Already mentioned this...hands like shovels etc. 10x strength to weight and so on.

dog buttz posted:

Humans are hosed as far as evolution goes because A) nothing is eating us to weed out the weak, and B) babies born that would have died are saved by doctors and then go on to have kids.

No, it's worse than that, we actively save the weak, not just babies. We got some couple that are first cousins that gently caress and have hosed babies which we save, then we also save the babies when they have major organ failure at like age 10. Praise humanity.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
doesn't make any sense how a weak-rear end human could evolve from a swole-as-gently caress chimp..it's almost like evolution is just a theory

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
now chimps evolving from humans, that i could believe

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Harald posted:

now chimps evolving from humans, that i could believe

they are probably happier than us by and large due to being dumber

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I always wondered why humans were so weak for their size. Turns out that humans, when in physical condition for a hunt can out-endure almost any animal in running. We're not as fast, or strong but we will chase our quarry to the limits of their stamina.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

those are baby chimps (there is also a baby tiger)

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tarkus posted:

I always wondered why humans were so weak for their size. Turns out that humans, when in physical condition for a hunt can out-endure almost any animal in running. We're not as fast, or strong but we will chase our quarry to the limits of their stamina.

yeah that's pretty true. and if you look at the hunting tactics of primitive tribes its a lot of following animals til they basically collapse from exhaustion and can be easily killed. humans are dicks.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Harald posted:

yeah that's pretty true. and if you look at the hunting tactics of primitive tribes its a lot of following animals til they basically collapse from exhaustion and can be easily killed. humans are dicks.

It also a combination of technology and also physical characteristics. For example being able to carry water during the hunt and also sweating to avoid overheating.

The deer on the other hand eventually collapses from dehydration and heat exhaustion.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

spud posted:

10x strength to weight and so on.

6'8" 450lb Brian Shaw, two-time winner of The World's Strongest Man, lifting 1100lbs+.

Now imagine a barbell with ten times as much weight.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maldoror posted:

those are baby chimps (there is also a baby tiger)

if it was an adult it would be going right for the balls

etalian posted:

It also a combination of technology and also physical characteristics. For example being able to carry water during the hunt and also sweating to avoid overheating.

The deer on the other hand eventually collapses from dehydration and heat exhaustion.

serves that stupid deer right

GO HUMANS

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

humans are basically like that guy who figures out how to cheese a video game

oh I can't fight it? ok i'll chase it.

it's faster than me? ok I'll keep chasing it it's eventually gonna run out of water.

yeah i couldn't remember but that's exactly the show i was thinking of

Harald fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 18, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Harald posted:

humans are basically like that guy who figures out how to cheese a video game

oh I can't fight it? ok i'll chase it.

it's faster than me? ok I'll keep chasing it it's eventually gonna run out of water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

1gnoirents posted:

i remember reading something a while ago which said we'd get smaller in physical stature in the name of efficiency etc.

like how smaller dogs live longer than big dogs, less strain on the physiological side of things. we might get more swole but being 7ft + isn't a long term advantage in terms of life expectancy.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Fatkraken posted:

If you're just talking about a 1 on 1 boxing ring type situation not "Arnie vs the Predator"/hunger games tho I'm p sure the gorilla dominates 99 times out of 100.

im not talking about strongest gorilla in the world vs strongest man, im talking about a really strong, well trained man (trained solely in the art of fighting gorillas) against an average gorilla

fake out the gorilla a few times and then pluck its eyes out and you could win imo

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

TEAYCHES posted:

im not talking about strongest gorilla in the world vs strongest man, im talking about a really strong, well trained man (trained solely in the art of fighting gorillas) against an average gorilla

fake out the gorilla a few times and then pluck its eyes out and you could win imo

if it's 1 on 1 in a cage with no weapons, no, any human would be hosed.

you're thinking a huge strike on the gorilla would bother him.

gorilla wouldn't give a poo poo, he would keep moving forward and then he would gently caress you up big style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Robbie Fowler posted:

if it's 1 on 1 in a cage with no weapons, no, any human would be hosed.

you're thinking a huge strike on the gorilla would bother him.

gorilla wouldn't give a poo poo, he would keep moving forward and then he would gently caress you up big style.

no it wouldnt be a huge strike. you would have to use agility and youd have to fake out and trick the gorilla and pluck out its eyeballs to get the upper hand. then youd fight dirty the only reason why itd have to be an exceptionally strong human is so he could land enough hits on a blind gorilla to finally take it down before exhaustion

• Locked thread