Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

TARDISman posted:

Depends on the platform. I have it on 360 and it's really had troubles keeping the frame rate steady. I've heard it's much MUCH better on PC.

I have the PC version on steam. Maybe I'll get a controller and play it over the holidays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
FFXV is exactly like Lightning Returns

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Last Remnant is Romancing SaGa 3 and it's the best one.

No SaGa game can truly be complete without Kenji Ito :(

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mycot posted:

At least there's always Pokemon.

There are enough RPG Maker games out there to last a person a 100 life times.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

Both are filled with checkered textures.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

So Really Good?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So Really Good?

It looks pretty good to me, dude.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The White Dragon posted:

No SaGa game can truly be complete without Kenji Ito :(

Hm, true. TLR has some neato music but it's not especially SaGa-ey.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I own this and haven't played it. Is this a grave oversight?

If it's on PC it's probably an ok game since the PC version supposedly fixed a lot of the original's fuckups. The combat system is probably still semi-auto garbage with the dumb QTE every other attack to keep you engaged.

On 360 Last Remnant is a loving crime it's just so bad. From the random NPC questions about training that can permanently and irrevocably ruin their usefulness (don't let the cat-Goro learn any magic, ever) to the rank system buffing enemies in odd ways that make random bugs end up one-shotting people with skills.

And Curse. As I've said before, whomever came up with the Curse skill in this game is a terrible person and they probably worked on FF14 1.0 as well. It's the most stupidly broken thing in the game and in the 360 version there is gently caress-all you can do about the effect other than pray if/when it's used on your units.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hm, true. TLR has some neato music but it's not especially SaGa-ey.

On the other hand, SaGa music never again reached the heights of the Alkaiser theme.

Fight, Alkaiser! :black101:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Evil Fluffy posted:

with the dumb QTE every other attack to keep you engaged.

They're still there, but you can set them to auto-win.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

CeallaSo posted:

Romancing SaGa is the good one, and one of my favorite games. Unlimited SaGa is the utter garbage one; every other game in the series has some redeeming quality that would lead me to suggest it to someone, but Unlimited SaGa is completely irredeemable.

the music is very very good in Unlimited Saga.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

TommyGun85 posted:

the music is very very good in Unlimited Saga.

It's far from Hamauzu's best work. And just go listen to it on Youtube and save yourself the misery of actually playing the game.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

CeallaSo posted:

It's far from Hamauzu's best work. And just go listen to it on Youtube and save yourself the misery of actually playing the game.

my soul is beyond saving. I was one of the unfortunate few that actually purchased the game when it first came out. it is indeed one of the worst rpgs ever made.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

CeallaSo posted:

Saga Frontier 2 is his best work, but Unlimited Saga is great as well. Plus a solo piano arrangement of the end theme from one of his personal albums for good measure.

It also had a non-trivial number of different battle themes. They were all pretty radical different too, but not always in a good way. Hamauzu estimated that he composed one song per day though so you can't expect them to all be winners.

The Brave Fencer Musashi sequel is surprisingly good too re: music, and, uh, that was also more fun to play than Unlimited Saga. And I actually kinda sorta like Unlimited Saga. :shobon:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So I'm playing FF7 via Steam and apparently there's a hilarious bug that makes Sephiroth's mouth hang open in surprise every time he's on screen. I just got to Kalm and I was pretty much laughing through all the cutscenes because of the big derpy look on his face. If I remember next time I'll take a few screenshots.

Apparently it's a feature, not a bug? Jesus, Square. :psyduck:

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 17, 2014

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

TommyGun85 posted:

my soul is beyond saving. I was one of the unfortunate few that actually purchased the game when it first came out. it is indeed one of the worst rpgs ever made.

Unlimited Saga is weird for me. It's not very fun taken as a SaGa game, but it's a really neat boardgame/D&D hybrid with some admittedly dense mechanics. I enjoy it on that level but it's pretty far off the reservation from Saga Frontier 2.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Well, I finally watched the english dubbed 15 trailer. I can see why people are complaining. It just doesn't mesh well and comes off a bit anachronistic. You have this high-budget game with graphics on par with the latest stuff anyone in the west has produced with 00's-style budget anime quality VA. Everyone just got to play DA:I and Advanced Warfare with the TLOU remake hitting a pretty huge audience earlier this year, all of which have serviceable VA most of the time and some extremely well-done performances at other times. Even GTA5 wasn't too bad most of the time. If SE is trying to appeal to a broader audience, they might have to take a look at this kind of thing.

I mean, if they're trying to just beat out the crop of anime Vita RPG's, they're doing fine. But if they really want to compete with other recent big releases, they're probably going to want to grab some Eidos people to handle the localization.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 17, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DrNutt posted:

Apparently it's a feature, not a bug? Jesus, Square. :psyduck:

That's right, it's the actual character model! iirc all the models in the PC version have gaping red mouths while the PSX version doesn't have the mouth textures. I guess they wanted to take advantage of the uh, superior hardware of the time?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The White Dragon posted:

That's right, it's the actual character model! iirc all the models in the PC version have gaping red mouths while the PSX version doesn't have the mouth textures. I guess they wanted to take advantage of the uh, superior hardware of the time?

I first played it on the PC version so I was always used to it that way and didn't learn till later that PSX looked different. (I didn't have a PSX back then, I had an N64)

But yeah it looks better just flat with no mouth. Or at least like the main characters, a closed mouth line. But side characters have a big hole which looks bad.

That said, shame on you for playing the PC version with the original graphics anyways. Pop-eye arms are too old for 2014, install a mod so you can use the battle models in the field and bam, problem solved.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

bloodychill posted:

Well, I finally watched the english dubbed 15 trailer. I can see why people are complaining. It just doesn't mesh well and comes off a bit anachronistic. You have this high-budget game with graphics on par with the latest stuff anyone in the west has produced with 00's-style budget anime quality VA. Everyone just got to play DA:I and Advanced Warfare with the TLOU remake hitting a pretty huge audience earlier this year, all of which have serviceable VA most of the time and some extremely well-done performances at other times. Even GTA5 wasn't too bad most of the time. If SE is trying to appeal to a broader audience, they might have to take a look at this kind of thing.

I mean, if they're trying to just beat out the crop of anime Vita RPG's, they're doing fine. But if they really want to compete with other recent big releases, they're probably going to want to grab some Eidos people to handle the localization.

I think that's a great idea. Their voice direction is pretty terrible. Compare Ali Hillis as Lightning with her monotone to Ali Hillis as Scout Harding in DA:I. Night and day man. If they're going to localize they need to go all the way.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

I first played it on the PC version so I was always used to it that way and didn't learn till later that PSX looked different. (I didn't have a PSX back then, I had an N64)

But yeah it looks better just flat with no mouth. Or at least like the main characters, a closed mouth line. But side characters have a big hole which looks bad.

That said, shame on you for playing the PC version with the original graphics anyways. Pop-eye arms are too old for 2014, install a mod so you can use the battle models in the field and bam, problem solved.

Except the battle models looks a milion times worse on the over world/field than the popeye arms worse because they're misscaled and clashing with everything else.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I wouldn't mind the lovely VA direction if they learned how to mix their english tracks. It always sound like they hire interns or they fundamentally don't know how to post-process the balance between voices, music, and SFX. My main problem with the english trailer is that I couldn't straight up hear some of the talking because the music overpowered the voices combined with the super low bass.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Except the battle models looks a milion times worse on the over world/field than the popeye arms worse because they're misscaled and clashing with everything else.

If you use the stupid lovely mod models that try to copy the style of advent children, ABSOLUTELY. They look absolutely :barf:

But the battle models aren't all that detailed and are done in the same style, just with more polys and a more realistic style than the field models. I think they fit into the game perfectly.

Doesn't look so bad at all eh? (I don't like the high quality text in this screenshot but its all I could find in a hurry from my work laptop)

Compared to

Ooof. That's pretty rough.

FF8 used the same models for battle and field and looked better for it. 7 had chibi characters for field partially because of technical restraints (and their first 3D experience) but partially because that's just how it was done in RPGs before; a simple low detail representative image for the overworld, a bigger sprite with more detail for battle.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 17, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Popeye arms are the best.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Popeye arms are the best.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

If you use the stupid lovely mod models that try to copy the style of advent children, ABSOLUTELY. They look absolutely :barf:

But the battle models aren't all that detailed and are done in the same style, just with more polys and a more realistic style than the field models. I think they fit into the game perfectly.

Doesn't look so bad at all eh? (I don't like the high quality text in this screenshot but its all I could find in a hurry from my work laptop)

Compared to

FF8 used the same models for battle and field and looked better for it. 7 had chibi characters for field partially because of technical restraints (and their first 3D experience) but partially because that's just how it was done in RPGs before; a simple low detail representative image for the overworld, a bigger sprite with more detail for battle.
How do they look next to Biggs, Wedge and Jessie?

Donnor
Aug 24, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Compared to

Are the guards in the top picture misisng their heads?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Doesn't look so bad at all eh?

No. It looks really bad.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Compared to

It's going to be jarring when you get to this scene and your character becomes less detailed when it switches to FMV :v:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

bloodychill posted:

There was some talk that Bravely Second was going to have real time battles, but the demo at TGS was almost exactly the same battle engine from BD. Let's just hope they can pull off a story without four retreads of the world this time.

The first hour of the game will be new content and then you'll just have to play the first game all over again.

I mean gently caress, Second is already recycling every Asterik holder from the first game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Rutibex posted:

It's going to be jarring when you get to this scene and your character becomes less detailed when it switches to FMV :v:

Clearly the only solution is a PS4 remake

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

No. It looks really bad.

Yeah, to each their own but I don't even think FF7 has aged all that poorly. It is what it is and the only graphic improvements I would really like would be redone backgrounds.

But yeah, bring on the actual FF7 remake, Square, and this time use an intelligible translation, please and thank you.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
As someone who hasn't really played a main Final Fantasy game since X and X-2, what the hell is going on right now? I have no idea what Final Fantasy XV even is and I'm not sure what the hell happened in between, there was two MMO's, or something?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's the 15th final fantasy game, friend

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

As someone who hasn't really played a main Final Fantasy game since X and X-2, what the hell is going on right now? I have no idea what Final Fantasy XV even is and I'm not sure what the hell happened in between, there was two MMO's, or something?

FFXI and FFXIV are MMOs

FFXII and FFXIII are mainline games. FFXIII had two sequels ala FFX-2.

FFXV is the new game. It used to be a FFXIII spinoff before they rebranded it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

xv is a game about dudes in a car

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

xv is a game about dudes in a car

they fight goblins

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

FFXI and FFXIV are MMOs

FFXII and FFXIII are mainline games. FFXIII had two sequels ala FFX-2.

FFXV is the new game. It used to be a FFXIII spinoff before they rebranded it.

Don't forget like 4-5 FF games that aren't numbered but might as well be like Type-0 (HD version coming next year), Crisis Core, and FF-like Bravely Default. A lot happens in 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Dan Didio posted:

XI was an MMO that has gone back and forth in public opinion from "poo poo" to "pretty darn good" (since they switched directors).
XII was an exploration-heavy game with a pretty large explorable world, with "MMO-like" gameplay. You could customize AI routines for your teammates to dictate how they fought in battle.
XIII was a development disaster that had them creating vast amounts of resources before they had any idea what the plot or gameplay would be like. They finally mashed together an extremely linear game where you walk down very pretty corridors and fight all the time, with no real breaks or diversions. The battle system has you switching between sets of roles for your characters (buffer, debuffer, healer, caster, fighter), and you don't really pick individual commands.
XIII-2 - remember all those resources they made? They cobbled together a second game out of them. Similar battle system to XIII, but they responded to criticisms about linearity by making the game less linear. Some people feel this broke the careful difficulty progression of XIII and made the fights less engaging.
XIII-3 - probably more asset reuse. You play as only Lightning, in a more "action" oriented gameplay system. You can switch between sets of abilities and outfits on the fly, and time attacks and defending for better results. There's a time limit, and a pretty big world to explore. Most people seem to agree this is the most fun entry in the trilogy.
XIV - another MMO. Disastrous launch, so SE basically called in all hands to remake the entire game and "patched" it. Now everyone agrees that it's great.
XV - 38 years in the making, there's lots of hype and expectations. It will undoubtedly be the worst game in the series. You only control one character, and battles look to be pretty real-time. Based on filed patent applications, it appears as though you'll be able to program AI routines similar to XII, where you can control what your characters do based on proximity to enemies and each other. "Open-world", with huge areas to explore. Modernish setting.