Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The_White_Crane posted:

Speaking of bland ubermesch protagonists, I was talking about the end of the most recent arc with a friend recently, and it occurred to me that while having Kirito be all awesome and whip up a quick shoulder-cam gadget for Yuuki was pretty eye-rolling
How so? I mean Kirito can be a pretty eyeroll character at times, even though I actually kind of like him, but that's one moment where I'd say he wasn't. It's a skillset he's already said he's been studying, and an idea he's already been working on for Yui anyway. It's one of the few times him saving the day was actually justifiable by something other than being the protagonist.

I mean, obviously it'd be better to maybe show him tinkering with random stuff in a few shots beforehand, like maybe have the caliber arc start with him in his room futzing with some tiny webcams at like 5 in the morning before his sister goes 'VIDEO GAMES,' but telling is about as good as showing when you're dealing with light novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Endorph posted:

How so? I mean Kirito can be a pretty eyeroll character at times, even though I actually kind of like him, but that's one moment where I'd say he wasn't. It's a skillset he's already said he's been studying, and an idea he's already been working on for Yui anyway. It's one of the few times him saving the day was actually justifiable by something other than being the protagonist.

Oh don't get me wrong, I like him as a character too; I don't actually have a problem with his magical day-saving powers. It's just that it was so loving convenient that the problem was one tailor made for him to solve is all. I mean, I get it, you write stories that play to your characters' strengths, but even so it just seemed so... pat.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The_White_Crane posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, I like him as a character too; I don't actually have a problem with his magical day-saving powers. It's just that it was so loving convenient that the problem was one tailor made for him to solve is all. I mean, I get it, you write stories that play to your characters' strengths, but even so it just seemed so... pat.

I dunno, man. The problem is that Yuuki's dying of AIDS. Ain't nothing Kirito can do about that. Having him use the tech we saw him building for Yui to let Yuuki experience the outside world a bit before her death? That's fair enough, to my mind. Besides, all Big K did was provide the tech. Asuna did all the heavy lifting in connecting to Yuuki and brightening her life a little. All the webcams in the world wouldn't have mattered at all if Asuna hadn't been willing to reach out to Yuuki.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Endorph posted:

I mean, obviously it'd be better to maybe show him tinkering with random stuff in a few shots beforehand, like maybe have the caliber arc start with him in his room futzing with some tiny webcams at like 5 in the morning before his sister goes 'VIDEO GAMES,' but telling is about as good as showing when you're dealing with light novels.

IIRC the Novel had him working on stuff for Yui to interact with the real world from the end of Fairy Dance and through GGO, didn't he rig up his and Asuna's cell phone or something to allow them to communicate with her.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm pretty sure the anime also mentions that's why he's working on it at least once or twice. Wasn't there a scene with him showing Yui around their friend's bar with it? It sounds like White Crane might have forgotten about that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah and also I dunno, I think part of this franchise also pre-supposes your onboard with being okay with Kirito being Awesome McAwesometon.

JDG1980
Dec 27, 2012

ManlyGrunting posted:

I like to think that internet marriages will become the next political hot topic in-universe because of this. :allears:
Of course I also like to think that it's impossible to consummate because it's like the cooking and really stripped down from reality, like sub-Sims level of detail and it's impossible to take off underwear like every video game ever. I have put in way too much thought into how to make anime boning hilarious, I think.

Oh, come on. You just know that if full-immersion VR actually existed, this would be the most popular application by far.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Sindai posted:

I'm pretty sure the anime also mentions that's why he's working on it at least once or twice. Wasn't there a scene with him showing Yui around their friend's bar with it? It sounds like White Crane might have forgotten about that.

No, I remember he was working on it before.
I'm not saying that it's bullshit that Kirito had that solution, so much as that it's convenient that the problem is something that he already had a solution to due to wholly unrelated reasons.
It's like...

"So, I think in the future I want to go into building prostheses to help my crippled sister!"
*THREE MONTHS LATER*
"Hey protagonist-kun, I just had a pathos-filled encounter with a dog that lost its leg to a car!"
"Well, fortunately I've already made some prostheses it can use!"

I dunno, it just bugs me that Yuuki's big dying wish happens to be something so exactly tailored to Kirito's skills. I don't know why it annoys me more than any of the other stuff Kirito's magically solved, but it does. :shrug:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He never magically solved any real world problems before. Being really good at games was his one real skill. I guess it doesn't hurt that he is trying to branch out a bit?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The_White_Crane posted:

No, I remember he was working on it before.
I'm not saying that it's bullshit that Kirito had that solution, so much as that it's convenient that the problem is something that he already had a solution to due to wholly unrelated reasons.
It's like...

"So, I think in the future I want to go into building prostheses to help my crippled sister!"
*THREE MONTHS LATER*
"Hey protagonist-kun, I just had a pathos-filled encounter with a dog that lost its leg to a car!"
"Well, fortunately I've already made some prostheses it can use!"

I dunno, it just bugs me that Yuuki's big dying wish happens to be something so exactly tailored to Kirito's skills. I don't know why it annoys me more than any of the other stuff Kirito's magically solved, but it does. :shrug:

Pretty much all of fiction will establish the convenience of coincidence as being acceptable in virtually any circumstance if it advances the story, as long as verisimilitude is maintained; which it does here by establishing Kirito as working on mechatronics back in the previous arc at least.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The writer used a plot thread that served as Kirito's post-VR arc and tied it neatly into the main plot without having him steal the spotlight or anything, I think it was nicely done and I was even one of the people who were dreading how it will happen. I don't see what the big deal is.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Guys! Sword Art Online 3: Fairy Dance is available! :neckbeard:

I just checked to see if there was another arc after Mother's Rosario, and there is, and I'm not sure if I'm ready for it. :stare:

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Guys! Sword Art Online 3: Fairy Dance is available! :neckbeard:

I just checked to see if there was another arc after Mother's Rosario, and there is, and I'm not sure if I'm ready for it. :stare:

Prepare your self for for 11 years of Kirito vs a TREEEEE!!!!!!!!

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Hagop posted:

Prepare your self for for 11 years of Kirito vs a TREEEEE!!!!!!!!

(Spoilers about said Tree) Yeah but that tree had a rediculous amount of HP, but then it got turned into a bad rear end sword.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I don't even know if Alicization has been finished yet. It is a very, very long arc.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Nalin posted:

I don't even know if Alicization has been finished yet. It is a very, very long arc.

The light novels covering that arc are still being published. Volume 15, the 7th novel of the arc, was published in August. There's no timeframe for when it will be finished at this point, however, the series is based from Kawahara's original online novels, so there is a conclusion.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The web novel has finished the arc but the LNs tend to edit and modify.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Alicization is actually pretty decent, so I kind of hope SAO S2 did well enough to eventually greenlight it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Alicization is actually pretty decent, so I kind of hope SAO S2 did well enough to eventually greenlight it.
It's SAO. It's getting greenlit. Even if SAO S2 somehow tanked, all it'd get was a lower budget, probably.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
It's a little awkward that Alicization spans more volumes than the entire rest of the series. I guess they'll have to give it the Jojo treatment just to keep it within a sensible time frame.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
I got past the tree but eventually couldn't go on. I just couldn't care about alicization at all. So far removed from the original premise almost everyone started this series for.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

.Clash posted:

I got past the tree but eventually couldn't go on. I just couldn't care about alicization at all. So far removed from the original premise almost everyone started this series for.

That's more or less my thoughts as well.

The more enjoyable parts of SAO are where it's a bunch of people playing a game together. Sometimes it's a death game, sometimes there's something important at stake, or sometimes it's just on a whim.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Yeah, honestly can't bother with any more SAO right now, so I went ahead and read a four paragraph summary of Alicization. I don't think I care about any of that poo poo.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

.Clash posted:

At one point the author was planing on working on progressive "full time" once the current SAO arc was done. So we should all hope that Alicization ends soon as does well. So we can get more cool stories from the original SAO.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Boy, this room sure is dusty.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Yours too?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Dust? What dust? Fuckin' onions man, why they gotta be like that.

I now know what Mother's Rosario means and, why did it have to be like that. Why couldn't it have stayed a silly pretentious name like all the other titles of stuff. :(

Goddamnit.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's just rain coming through the window.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
All I could think about through the all-the-faeries/dying-moments scene was "how would goons crash this touching moment?"

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My only sorta question is how Akiho Kayaba in some way contributed to the medical full dive tech wasn't somehow a massive revelation warranting a follow up plotline or the possibility of Yuuki living on as an AI. They reacted with the entirely appropriate *GASP!?* and then inexplicable picnic scene where they don't bring it up again.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

While my room was a lil dusty as well, I kinda felt they went a bit over the top by having the whole server show up. It started to drag a bit at that point for me. Also, they had Kirito not use dual blades in the duel, so we'll never know if Yuuki could have beaten Kirito at his best. That said, it was a decent enough conclusion to Rosario. I hope the next bit works as well.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
As per the in character Q&A session with Kirito: http://www.taptaptaptaptap.net/sao-qna-kirito/

Kirito posted:

Q. Do you have confidence in winning when fighting Yuuki with Dual Blades?
A. It’s probably impossible eight times out of ten. There was also a terrifying premonition that I had, that the other side might just pull out dual blades as well if I did so.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

FrantzX posted:

As per the in character Q&A session with Kirito: http://www.taptaptaptaptap.net/sao-qna-kirito/

That and we're told that Kirito will never be as on top of it all unless he's fighting for his life.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Raenir Salazar posted:

My only sorta question is how Akiho Kayaba in some way contributed to the medical full dive tech wasn't somehow a massive revelation warranting a follow up plotline or the possibility of Yuuki living on as an AI. They reacted with the entirely appropriate *GASP!?* and then inexplicable picnic scene where they don't bring it up again.

I don't remember enough of the next arc to comment on the Kayaba revelation, but I do know that the entire picnic scene was anime-original. The novel ended on that revelation, but it wasn't so much as a cliffhanger. The tone seemed more like a, "Wow, there are still things we don't know. What does the future hold?" type of a moment.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Anyone happen to know this ep's opening theme? It wasn't the regular one

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

FrantzX posted:

Some interesting stuff in there, although the fans kept asking some of the same questions over and over.

The site also has interviews with some other characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, there's some interesting little backstory tidbits buried in among the five 'lol kirito has a harem' jokes.

The most interesting to me was

Asuna posted:

Q. Details on how you joined KoB?
A. I was scouted by the leader while recklessly leveling up in the dungeon.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

abaddonis posted:

Anyone happen to know this ep's opening theme? It wasn't the regular one

"Separate Ways", performed by Asuna's VA.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was definitely the best arc since the first. I can hardly believe the same guy wrote GGO.

I guess it's just the less Kirito the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

Sindai posted:

The less Kirito the better.

Pretty much, yeah. Dude's aggressively uninteresting - which is to be expected, as bland-as-paste protagonists make it easy to self-insert yourself into the role.

See also: Twilight, Attack on Titan, nearly every Harem show.

• Locked thread