Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
I just fly at the docking numbers until they disappear (due to being close, not due to the disappearing docking number bug :v:), then vertical thrust straight down.

If I'm in a huge rush I just slam into the control tower right in front of the pad, then gently back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I listen to soothing music and take light sips of my iced caramel latte while my ship pilots itself in.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Pochoclo posted:

Docking (bugs aside) is ridiculously easy if you played enough Frontier back in the day. Just rebind the keyboard into something that makes sense (I use Q/E for roll, A/D for lateral thrusters). Turning off flight assist helps if you're used to newtonian flight.
Oh yeah, and change mouse from the ridiculously stupid roll mode to yaw/pitch. Bind some keys to that too.

At least with the Sidewinder.

Yeah, the default binds suck, but the only real challenge to docking is when you're in a ship with bad visibility.

That and remembering to ask permission first.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, the default binds suck, but the only real challenge to docking is when you're in a ship with bad visibility.

That and remembering to ask permission first.

Mine is remembering to put down the landing gear.

Also mouse roll forever all day, yaw is dumb never yaw just toss it on the trash key pile.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

OK Commanders, we have an intel breakthrough of significance.

I have just come into possession of some documents that reveal that we may well be dealing with some rather nasty enemies in the not so distant future.

I have received a manual that reveals their weaknesses and other useful information.

They appear to be vulnerable to stairs, I suggest we study the below image and research their weak spots

Daleks have these sweet golden saucers as space ships right? Does this manual have some tips on how to hijack a Dalek-space cruiser? That would be neat

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

LCL-Dead posted:

I listen to soothing music and take light sips of my iced caramel latte while my ship pilots itself in.

Fuckin' casual.

:v:

superh posted:

I've gotten docking down with the gamepad, I fly in at high speed upside down (in the Rift so I can look up) position myself in the middle and FLIP + thrust down.

I do the upside down thing with the Rift as well. When I'm not using it I tend to do space-flips though.

AtlantisMantis
Feb 8, 2008

aut vincere aut mori

LCL-Dead posted:

That fancy docking computer wont help you when you need to emergency dock on the top of a Type-9.

:colbert:

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
HAHAHAHA so they placed an arbitrary limit on the number of rare goods a commander can purchase at a station? That makes absolutely zero sense. Instead of actually trying to balance the goods they've just given up and placed an invisible wall on purchasing an item. This is the worst design decision Frontier has made so far.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

imperialparadox posted:

Fuckin' casual.

:v:

I do the upside down thing with the Rift as well. When I'm not using it I tend to do space-flips though.

Don't hate me 'cause I like it easy like sunday morning.

Wouldn't any position in the letterbox be considered upside down since the inside of the station is round and there really is no readily available reference point for the "up" or "down" orientation of a station?

When not using a docking computer I just glance at the compass, verify pad number and zoom over. 45 degree down onto the pad, full stop/reverse and correct until centered while using the thrusters to bring myself down in small increments until the landing registers. Then I go masturbate furiously over the commodities in my cargo hold before having them offloaded and sent to market.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Unzip and Attack posted:

HAHAHAHA so they placed an arbitrary limit on the number of rare goods a commander can purchase at a station? That makes absolutely zero sense. Instead of actually trying to balance the goods they've just given up and placed an invisible wall on purchasing an item. This is the worst design decision Frontier has made so far.

I disagree, they're "rare" goods after all. So it makes sense to limit accessability instead of "balancing" them until they stop being rare goods.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Libluini posted:

I disagree, they're "rare" goods after all. So it makes sense to limit accessability instead of "balancing" them until they stop being rare goods.

Well, balancing things by making you do something else while you wait for something to respawn is the tried and sure method of any MMO, so why not use it here, right?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

Well, balancing things by making you do something else while you wait for something to respawn is the tried and sure method of any MMO, so why not use it here, right?

I know this, but in this case at least it makes sense. Besides, you don't have to wait, rare goods are just rare goods, not daily missions. Buy something else and trade that instead.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
Just upgraded to a Cobra MkIII from a Hauler but have no idea about fittings. Any recommendations? I mostly want to mine/haul while still being able to defend myself.

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

WANTED: BREAD OR ALIVE

Rhopunzel posted:

Just upgraded to a Cobra MkIII from a Hauler but have no idea about fittings. Any recommendations? I mostly want to mine/haul while still being able to defend myself.

Pulse laser and two multicannons should be enough to defend yourself.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
EDIT: nevermind. This game is good by the way, I don't understand how to successfully drop from FSD yet without overshooting the destination by a few hours, but I'll get there.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 18, 2014

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

Pulse laser and two multicannons should be enough to defend yourself.

Which should I put on the medium/small mounts? There's two of each.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Libluini posted:

I know this, but in this case at least it makes sense. Besides, you don't have to wait, rare goods are just rare goods, not daily missions. Buy something else and trade that instead.

But it doesn't make sense. Bob goes to buy Rare Good A but can only buy 6 of them because that's all there is. Larry then comes up and buys 6 more because they magically appear in Larry's universe. No matter how long Bob spends waiting, Good A will never be available as long as he possesses those 6 tons, meanwhile Larry can run back and forth and his supply replenishes. This is especially non-sensical in a setting where everyone's actions are supposed to affect the market. Their entire economic model is based on supply and demand being affected by player and NPC activity. If you buy a poo poo ton of Good A then Good A will be less available for everyone. That's the whole point.

With this, they are throwing all that out because they think players were making too much money. So in other words they love their economy except when players can make it work for them. In those cases, arbitrary limits need to be pasted on so players can't buy big spaceships because oh no that would be terrible.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
It makes sense, the guy Bob is going to only has a limited supply so he's only allowing 6 per customer

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Libluini posted:

Daleks have these sweet golden saucers as space ships right? Does this manual have some tips on how to hijack a Dalek-space cruiser? That would be neat

According to the docs we need to locate one of these:

Keep your eyes peeled Commanders

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

VarXX posted:

It makes sense, the guy Bob is going to only has a limited supply so he's only allowing 6 per customer

No. Just... no.

The guy Bob is going to only has limited supply so he should charge more for it, because he likes money, not sell less because he hates money.

e: Also, in before someone with isboxer and 500 copies of the game is making trillions of credits per hour by buying 5 rare goods on each every 15 minutes. This is just a bad fix.

Truga fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 18, 2014

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Is docking much easier with the joystick or something? I've never had any issues, literally never crashed - but also not had to try the kb+m like a space poor.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Prawned posted:

Is docking much easier with the joystick or something? I've never had any issues, literally never crashed - but also not had to try the kb+m like a space poor.

Actually I'd say it's harder, unless you're a console guy or super used to joysticks or something like that. KB+M always makes everything easier.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Is this rare goods mechanic new? Didn't work that way last night.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

But it doesn't make sense. Bob goes to buy Rare Good A but can only buy 6 of them because that's all there is. Larry then comes up and buys 6 more because they magically appear in Larry's universe. No matter how long Bob spends waiting, Good A will never be available as long as he possesses those 6 tons, meanwhile Larry can run back and forth and his supply replenishes. This is especially non-sensical in a setting where everyone's actions are supposed to affect the market. Their entire economic model is based on supply and demand being affected by player and NPC activity. If you buy a poo poo ton of Good A then Good A will be less available for everyone. That's the whole point.
Have you tested that this is how it works or are you speculating based on the wording in the patch notes?

You're sure they don't accumulate, or stock back up after 10 minutes if you buy your current allocation?

I am asking, though I'll probably take a look myself this evening.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Unzip and Attack posted:

With this, they are throwing all that out because they think players were making too much money. So in other words they love their economy except when players can make it work for them. In those cases, arbitrary limits need to be pasted on so players can't buy big spaceships because oh no that would be terrible.

As I understand it, they just limit what a commander can purchase, so there's nothing magically appearing, you're just not allowed to buy everything up on the market.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Libluini posted:

As I understand it, they just limit what a commander can purchase, so there's nothing magically appearing, you're just not allowed to buy everything up on the market.

Limit 10 per customer? This is bullshit Zhen dock :mad:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pochoclo posted:

Actually I'd say it's harder, unless you're a console guy or super used to joysticks or something like that. KB+M always makes everything easier.

It completely depends on what you're used to. I used to play a lot of flight sims with a joystick, but then I had a 10 year stint where I flew little, and when I did it was with a mouse. It took me a couple hours before I could actually use a joystick better than the mouse again. Because you use mouse daily, you're used to it. I imagine if it's the first time you're holding a stick, you're going to be terrible at it.

I'd still say joystick is the "better" input method for flying, because it feels more natural once you're used to it. That doesn't mean mouse gives a lower performance ceiling or anything, though. They're pretty much the same, so if you prefer mouse you won't be any worse or better off.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Right, the way the patch notes read it sounded like an improvement over what we'd had, because while you still need to full your hold over the course of a while, now you don't need to worry about other people buying it up after each refresh before you're able to.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

KakerMix posted:

So it is 10 in your possession at any given time?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Kenshin posted:

So it is 10 in your possession at any given time?

Someone gonna make a side business trading gold for rare goods? :v:

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

WANTED: BREAD OR ALIVE

Rhopunzel posted:

I would put the multicannon in the medium slots they will shred a hull pretty well.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

No. Just... no.

The guy Bob is going to only has limited supply so he should charge more for it, because he likes money, not sell less because he hates money.

e: Also, in before someone with isboxer and 500 copies of the game is making trillions of credits per hour by buying 5 rare goods on each every 15 minutes. This is just a bad fix.

He still sells more, just to more people so he avoids getting lynched by his other 999 customers if he sells everything he has to the first guy through the door. Besides, if he parcells out his sells this way, he can charge more for it if the price for his rare good continues to rise. So you have that backwards, if someone with a limited supply sells everything at once he obviously can't charge more because he doesn't have anything left to sell anymore.

Also, I consider it a bad fix to balance a game around a cheating engine. Just ban cheating, problem solved.

KakerMix posted:

Capitalism in action! :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
How is playing with more than one client cheating? And how in the world are you going to detect it.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Truga posted:

No. Just... no.

I like you, unironically. Everything about you is cool especially your av. This was never in question.

That said, what planet do you live on where when things like the new iphone comes out where they just sell them all to some rear end in a top hat with a million dollars, and tell all the people who have been waiting in line, sleeping in lawn chairs, and passing around a piss jar to go gently caress themselves for not having a million dollars on the table first?

It's a realistic fix! You are that rear end in a top hat with all the space bucks, but you have a limit so the spacepoors do not follow you and shoot you until spaceiphones pour out.

This is just my two cents in why it is not bullshit that you can only buy three xihe robofuckdolls at a time now.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
It's like Black Friday sales where they limit the number of items per customer, with about an equal amount of people literally dieing at the entrance trying to get in.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Rhopunzel posted:

Lasers on small, cause it's easier to drop a shield than pop a hull.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

How is playing with more than one client cheating? And how in the world are you going to detect it.

I think if you start using a cheat engine like Iskboxer, you are clearly cheating. And at that point it gets detectable.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Yeah, the rare goods mechanic seems like an odd thing to complain about since it's something that's done in REAL LIFE all the time, whether it's with event tickets, special sales (limit 1 per customer), brand new items like PS4's or iPhones, etc.

EDIT: To clarify, I guess it makes sense to complain about it because you want to buy unlimited amounts of poo poo (as people do in real life) but not to complain about it as something 'unrealistic'.

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 18, 2014

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Literally Kermit posted:

I like you, unironically. Everything about you is cool especially your av. This was never in question.

That said, what planet do you live on where when things like the new iphone comes out where they just sell them all to some rear end in a top hat with a million dollars, and tell all the people who have been waiting in line, sleeping in lawn chairs, and passing around a piss jar to go gently caress themselves for not having a million dollars on the table first?

It's a realistic fix! You are that rear end in a top hat with all the space bucks, but you have a limit so the spacepoors do not follow you and shoot you until spaceiphones pour out.

This is just my two cents in why it is not bullshit that you can only buy three xihe robofuckdolls at a time now.

OK, I get where you're coming from, but I really doubt the people with millions of bucks to spend on iphones don't get packages of said iphones for any reason or no reason. Way ahead of any apple store the scrubs sleep in front of. When I'm buying hardware in bulk, I don't go to the local electronics store, I talk to the importer, and get my hardware no questions asked, as long as I have the monies.

Really though, my problem is that the price doesn't skyrocket when the reserves go low. If the planet has millions of something in supply and doesn't sell any for a long time, price keeps falling until it's stupid low, as the people with stock are trying cut their losses. If the supply goes below a limit, make the price skyrocket. Making something low supply, but keeping the same price just feels stupid. Make prices react to supply and the market will fix itself. It seems to work for other goods, I'm sure they can make it work for rare ones too.

Also, I think someone in the star citizen thread bought this avatar, it's pretty cool :v:

Libluini posted:

I think if you start using a cheat engine like Iskboxer, you are clearly cheating. And at that point it gets detectable.

ISboxer allows you to run 10s of clients on the same box without having a monster rig because it throttles the inactive ones down so your active client runs better.

It also allows replicating inputs to multiple clients, which is cheating and is detectable, but ^ isn't cheating, nor can you detect it without using spyware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
That's cool. Does it help me make my spaceships kiss?

• Locked thread