Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Iron Crowned posted:

I've never understood the appeal of Woody Allen. To me he's like M. Knight Shyamalan, he made something good once or twice (I personally haven't figured out what yet), and just keeps getting money to continue making lovely movies.

Annie Hall, Manhattan, Hannah and Her Sisters, and Midnight in Paris. Those are just the biggies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bobkatt013 posted:

Annie Hall, Manhattan, Hannah and Her Sisters, and Midnight in Paris. Those are just the biggies.

I can't say I was impressed by Midnight in Paris :shrug:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

There's also the mentioned Crimes and Misdemeanors, Match Point, Sleeper, Love and Death, Bananas, Zelig, Purple Rose of Cairo, Sweet And Lowdown and some others I really like that I wouldn't really recommend to people that already don't like him (like Stardust Memories and Deconstructing Harry).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Woody Allen is a Fantastic Lover and Morally Unassailable (2016)

Synopsis: A nebbishy film director becomes romantically involved with several women 1/6th his age and pleasures them relentlessly. There is nothing wrong with this, you closed-minded ninnies. Love is not a number.

Starring: Woody Allen, Chloe Grace Moretz

I fail to see how this is significantly different from the majority of Woody Allen projects since the late 80's.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Woody Allen's Lolita starring the reanimated corpse of Klaus Kinski, produced by Roman Polanski.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Woody Allens movies would improve immensely if they didn't have Woody Allen in them.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Orson Welles posted:

It’s people like me who have to carry on and pretend to be modest

Oh Orson.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Woody Allen is a gross person who made a lot of really good films in the past, but his recent films haven't been very good, so I probably won't go see his new movie regardless of what it's about. It's still impressive that he's made a movie a year for the last three decades though, and with that kind of output they can't all be zingers. I really want to know where he even finds the time to rape kids with all that production work.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TheJoker138 posted:

Woody Allen is a gross person who made a lot of really good films in the past, but his recent films haven't been very good, so I probably won't go see his new movie regardless of what it's about. It's still impressive that he's made a movie a year for the last three decades though, and with that kind of output they can't all be zingers. I really want to know where he even finds the time to rape kids with all that production work.

They are at his home.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You make the time for things that matter to you.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

rejutka posted:

Rebooting Three Men and a Baby.

Ahaha goddamn, this put the worst image in my head. Like a movie poster of three faces leering over the edge of a cradle.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Armyman25 posted:

Orson Welles had Allen's number.

It was laser guided. It's like those Miles Davis burns where he was just poo poo talking everybody.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jack Gladney posted:

You make the time for things that matter to you.

Haha, Jesus.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

resurgam40 posted:

:stare: ... No. No one's going to allow him to do that, not as it is. I refuse to believe that this will go unchanged.

It's possible that this isn't real, isn't it? Can't people post any old poo poo on IMDb until it's verified one way or the other?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

raditts posted:

It's possible that this isn't real, isn't it? Can't people post any old poo poo on IMDb until it's verified one way or the other?

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/plot-revealed-woody-allens-latest-film-starring-joaquin-phoenix-emma-stone/

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Even the best Woody Allen movies have the problem that they're still Woody Allen movies. He has a shtick he doesn't really deviate from no matter what the movie is ostensibly about. I'm not surprised that he can keep the production schedule he does when he's essentially making the same movie over and over again with a cast of regulars.

Anyway, it's hard to be in the middle on Woody Allen. If his shtick resonates with you, then you're going to like a lot of his movies no matter what. If, like me, it gives you hives, then there's really no reason to ever watch a Woody Allen movie again once you've seen Annie Hall.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

That OW quote is so spot on. Allen just comes across as such a little weasel while constantly spouting pseudo-intellectual self-masturbatory nonsense all over the place in all of his movies.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I wonder if I will ever get to an age where I have the slightest interest in seeing a Woody Allen movie. Enough people enjoy his films that I can't just outright say they're no good, but I can't see the appeal. Every single one seems plotless or about nothing. Like if Seinfeld was supposed to be a drama.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 19, 2014

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Has Allen ever played a character who wasn't a weasel who spouted pseudo-intellectual garbage? I can understand subjectively not liking any one filmmaker's particular style and doubly so their character as a person, but I've yet to see a single film of his where he also acted in it that seemed to depict him trying and failing to make the character he played seem even vaguely noble.

That OW quote may be dead-on in more ways than one. Chaplin's films, especially his earlier ones, portray the Tramp as such a scoundrel, someone who inflicts misery on other people that they often don't deserve. But we find him funny anyway because whether or not the Tramp is a good person has nothing to do with whether he points up social and personal follies, whether his films observe contemporary society well and make farce of it. I just don't get why people find Allen's egghead variation of this so grating.

That is, other than the obvious accusation of his molestation of Dylan Farrow and his biographical predilection for younger women, the former of which only seems to stick in people's craw because (unlike Polanski) the case had no official conclusion and Allen consistently denying wrong-doing; and the latter frankly lacking any interest to me given its banality among nebbish, old men.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Why can't all assholes be like Orson Welles?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mr.capps posted:

Why can't all assholes be like Orson Welles?

Because, despite what many assholes would like you to think, there's no direct correlation between being qn rear end in a top hat and being a genius worth listening to.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Annie Hall was complete crap and I still can't believe it beat Star Wars for Best Picture.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I totally believe it. Annie Hall is really good and Star Wars is merely okay.

But, then, the Oscars don't actually matter.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Byzantine posted:

Annie Hall was complete crap and I still can't believe it beat Star Wars for Best Picture.

Well I can't believe your sperm beat all the others to the egg.

Sometimes miracle happen.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

K. Waste posted:

Has Allen ever played a character who wasn't a weasel who spouted pseudo-intellectual garbage?

I don't think so, but at some point it went from being a joke to being serious.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Say what you want about George Lucas but at least he isn't a child rapist.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I guess for me the difference between Woody Allen and Chaplin is that Chaplin's films are ultimately about something greater then himself. The Tramp may or may not be unlikeable but Chaplin is poking fun at all sorts of conventions around class, modern society and such.

With Woody Allen, I never get the sense that he's doing anything other than working his own issues out on film. Which is fine in and of itself, but he's made 50 some-odd movies like this and it never loving changes. At what point have you stopped shining a spotlight on your own neuroses and started to just whack off?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FreudianSlippers posted:

Star Wars fans don't seem to think that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

FreudianSlippers posted:

Just childhoods.

(being the obvious joke)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I wonder if I will ever get to an age where I have the slightest interest in seeing a Woody Allen movie. Enough people enjoy his films that I can't just outright say they're no good, but I can't see the appeal. Every single one seems plotless or about nothing. Like if Seinfeld was supposed to be a drama.

Most of Woody Allen's good movies are comedies.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Random Stranger posted:

I don't think so, but at some point it went from being a joke to being serious.

When? I'm not incredulously disputing your perception, but I think it might actually be at the moment where he started having a successful relationship. Allen made better movies when his ex's were accusing him of slander and molesting their children.

FreudianSlippers posted:

As far as you know. He could also be guilty of a myriad other awful things. As far as you know.

Baby Babbeh posted:

I guess for me the difference between Woody Allen and Chaplin is that Chaplin's films are ultimately about something greater then himself. The Tramp may or may not be unlikeable but Chaplin is poking fun at all sorts of conventions around class, modern society and such.

With Woody Allen, I never get the sense that he's doing anything other than working his own issues out on film. Which is fine in and of itself, but he's made 50 some-odd movies like this and it never loving changes. At what point have you stopped shining a spotlight on your own neuroses and started to just whack off?

Really? Are we watching the same Annie Hall? Heck, are we watching the same Gold Rush?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

TheJoker138 posted:

Most of Woody Allen's good movies are comedies.

Then why are they unfunny?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Humor is uh, ahem, uhh, subjective

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

K. Waste posted:

I totally believe it. Annie Hall is really good

How the gently caress was it even decent, much less "really good"?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Byzantine posted:

You first. How wasn't it really good? Please explain without an opinion that can be taken as subjective because you don't really seem to care about that.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Byzantine posted:

By being funny. Largely by making Allen's character look aggressively worse and worse as the movie progressed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXJ8tKRlW3E

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

K. Waste posted:

As far as you know. He could also be guilty of a myriad other awful things. As far as you know.

You could say that about literally anyone. Including you or me

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Improbable Lobster posted:

You could say that about literally anyone. Including you or me

Yeah, that's kind of the beauty of it. People feel very strongly about their certainty that Woody Allen totally molested a kid because of a single trial that went absolutely nowhere and their general feelings that he's kind of a creep anyway. The obsession with framing Allen as the unambiguous assailant of innocence is so pervasive that even people who like his movies feel they need to clarify their enjoyment of his works with the tacit acceptance of a cultural myth. By myth, I do not mean there is no possibility that Allen is a child molester. I mean myth in the sense that this is something that has been decided collectively without the vast majority of people having anything even close to a clear window into what happened.

My position is that I have no loving clue if Woody Allen molested a child. My position is also that, ironically, for a guy who was accused of molesting his adopted daughter, since that relationship Allen has been getting nothing but net in his personal life anyway. I mean, he's happily married to and has a daughter with a woman despite the fact that this very woman's adoptive mother accused him of molesting his own adopted daughter. It's at precisely the point in his life where Allen is doing his best that his movies are starting to really suck. This is really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There's also you know, the whole thing of the victim having grown up and being very vocal about what happened.

• Locked thread