Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
So this is how Buell design their frames...

http://rednuht.org/genetic_cars_2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
This summer I bought a 2008 KTM 990 Adventure from a guy I had met last year on a dualsport ride. I drove from Ohio to Tennessee, rode it a few hours, and loaded it up and drove back home to Ohio. It has high miles (60,000) but was maintained well and was in good shape. Also the po bought the bike new and actually replaced it with the identical bike, but his new on only had 6,000 miles.
I rode it for about three months with only two issues, the first week I bought it I ran it out of gas and it should not have run out that quick but I chalked it up to my mistake. The other issue was it revved up to about 4000 rpm and hung there once or twice but a key off then a restart fixed it.
In September the idle was hanging pretty often, sometimes every ten minutes it seemed. I did what research I could and talked a few times to the po. He said it never one time happened to him and for what it's worth I believe him. My thought was that he had installed a different throttle tube that had a different cam which makes the bike less snatchy off idle. Both the snatchyness and the hanging idle are known issues. He took the throttle tube off of my bike and put it on his new one and reinstalled the original tube on mine without resetting the throttle. This has to be done electronically and failure to reset it when it needs done can lead to issues with a stepper motor on the throttle bodies.
When it started frequent hanging on me I got a tune ecu cable and reset the throttle/idle and installed a KTM tune for aftermarket exhaust. It ran much better, fuel mileage was a little better and it almost completely quit hanging idle. Then the last week of October I went to ride it and it ran very rough, stalling and finally quit. I replaced the battery and was cranking it when I realized it sounded like it was out of fuel. The tank was indeed bone dry, but I had just filled up 17 miles ago. No start still.
So a month ago yesterday I took it to a the best local KTM shop here and dropped it off. They have been pulling their hair out on it. They cleaned the injectors, replaced a few sensors and put a different tune in it. They had it running but were concerned that it was surging like the throttle bodies weren't in sync.
After a month I was getting a little aggravated and dreading the bill. Today they called and said KTM corporate is replacing the throttle bodies for free because yesterday the high idle thing popped up again. They think the stepper motor is bad. I'm thrilled they're picking up the tab on a $1000 throttle body but I just want my bike back.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Is there any tips or tricks to keep my helmet visor from fogging up so bad in the cold morning air? It gets pretty bad to the point where it gets hard to see and I just have to suck it up and keep my visor opened.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I try just breathing through my mouth or in through the mouth out through the nose… Fogging really sucks though and sometimes I just have to keep cracking my visor :\

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Rythe posted:

Is there any tips or tricks to keep my helmet visor from fogging up so bad in the cold morning air? It gets pretty bad to the point where it gets hard to see and I just have to suck it up and keep my visor opened.

Pinlock visor. That's the only way to guarantee it stays clear.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Deeters posted:

Yep I have had pinlocks in the last couple of helmets and even at around freezing my visor never fogs. Well worth the money (or worth the money to get a better helmet that has it as standard).

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Deeters posted:

Well this is funny, I just got a HTC RPHA MAX helmet a few weeks ago, which I love and it came with a Pinlock attachment. I never installed it since I had no idea what it was and I have been dealing with a foggy visor for weeks and I had the fix all along.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

It's not a guarantee because I've had a pinlocked visit fog up on me before.

Sure it was a literal blizzard in the Yukon Territory and roughly 15°F, but it still fogged!!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The pinlock attachment that came with my Nolan is not clear, it has a yellowish tint to it. I would have installed it ages ago, if it wasn't for that annoying detail.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
Did you peel off the protective film on it?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

:that dog from duck hunt:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
:laugh:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

Goddamnit. That's all there was to it. I got confused by "IF NOT CLEAR, DAYTIME USE ONLY" label... :downs:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Scorpion puts an anti-fog coating on their vizors and I haven't had any fogging with them, my glasses will though, even with RainX anti fog.

jermsz
Nov 22, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Goddamnit. That's all there was to it. I got confused by "IF NOT CLEAR, DAYTIME USE ONLY" label... :downs:

I did the same loving thing. Bought a Schuberth helmet and it came with a pinlock lense. Pulled it out of the box and thought wtf I dont want my view to be all retro sunglass, and chucked it back in the box :rolleyes:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nitrox posted:

That label on my helmet confused me for the longest time. It's printed on as follows

NOT RATED SHATTERPROOF IF TINTED
FOR DAYTIME USE ONLY

and I was all "wow why would anyone get a tinted lens then if it might shatter in a crash????"

In other news, the local motorcycle shop wants $179 for a chain. The identical product is on Amazon for $92. Like, I want to support you guys, but jesus christ

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My pinlock says FOR DAYTIME USE ONLY in like ten different places and in the helmet manual too.

In other news, got a new helmet :toot:

Pretty much the best helmet I've ever put on my head. The field of view is so BIG, feels like I've just got a big perspex screen in front of my face instead of an actual helmet. The venting is also so effective that I have to shut the chin vent on the motorway because it starts to dry my eyes out. Very happy with it.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Slavvy posted:

The venting is also so effective that I have to shut the chin vent on the motorway because it starts to dry my eyes out. Very happy with it.

The one downside of contacts when riding, IMO. I have to do the same.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
New thing I discovered today: you can bend the centerstand out of commission.

My bandit is pretty tough to get on the stand, but for some reason it gave me heaps of trouble today. I tried to summon all of my chicken strength to try pry the bike on to the stand but it wouldn't go.

Then I found out I actually did do something! I bent the little foot on the centerstand! Joy! When both feet touch the ground, it lists menacingly. :saddowns:

Guess I'll be lubing my chain the laborious way for the next couple of months, or find a way to bend that thing back in working condition.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I bent the foot on my (Suzuki) GS too. You can pry it back and it will work as long as you don't giv'r hell again. I now tend to pull up on the tail while I'm getting it up onto the stand. Seems to put a lot less pressure on the foot.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

The identical product is on Amazon for $92. Like, I want to support you guys, but jesus christ

Tell them that, if they want your business they'll work with you.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

In other news, the local motorcycle shop wants $179 for a chain. The identical product is on Amazon for $92. Like, I want to support you guys, but jesus christ

That's quite a price difference, my local shop was able to get my current helmet right around $80 cheaper than online.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

I dunno about that chain specifically but there are lots of parts (mostly high performance tires) which are priced so low on the internet that a bike shop would actually be losing money if they sold it to you at that price. It's priced below the dealer's cost. Which chain was it exactly?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Does anyone have the dashcam thread bookmarked by chance? I can't find it aywhere.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597215

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I dunno about that chain specifically but there are lots of parts (mostly high performance tires) which are priced so low on the internet that a bike shop would actually be losing money if they sold it to you at that price. It's priced below the dealer's cost. Which chain was it exactly?

D.I.D. X-ring chain. It was the only thing they had in 525 on the spot -- I would be fine with a regular O-ring type -- but after blowing my mind with that price I checked it out to see if that was normal or what and it was a surprise alright.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

D.I.D. X-ring chain. It was the only thing they had in 525 on the spot -- I would be fine with a regular O-ring type -- but after blowing my mind with that price I checked it out to see if that was normal or what and it was a surprise alright.
D.I.D PRO STREET 525VX-122 CHAIN (BLACK)
$150.95 (List)
$92.99 (Dealer)

D.I.D PRO STREET 525VX-150 CHAIN
$185.95 (List)
$113.99 (Dealer)

Just fyi. Nothing competes with internet retailers. Internet retailers are magic and they get all their parts at vastly lower wholesale costs than normal shops.

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011
My bike has just been robbed off the road. loving aresholes have just got themselves a mint condition bike, since it's barely been ridden.

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011

Just Horizontal posted:

My bike has just been robbed off the road. loving aresholes have just got themselves a mint condition bike, since it's barely been ridden.

Aaand it's been recovered. No idea in what state or how yet though. Chuffed with that response time though. Will update tomorrow!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'll bet someone saw them load it into the van. This is a pretty good result. Hope it's ok :ohdear:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Does "robbed" mean "stolen"? Or was it actual robbery? Either way, sorry to hear. Hope it's recovered safely and you're ok.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I was picturing a stretched busa holding up his bike for its exhaust

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'll cut your chain yo don't make me cut your chain *brandishes chain splitter menacingly*

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I know a guy that visited his family in Albuquerque NM and got his bike stolen twice within the 5 day period he was there.
The first time they cut the lock off the U-Haul trailer he had it in (enclosed), made off with all of his clothes/gear too (he was in the air force and moving from one base to another).
The police recovered it the next day with some lightly scratched plastics and a punched out ignition.

He and a few buddies as a theft deterrent lugged the bike up two flights of stairs and chained the bike to the railing of the apartment building.
The thieves cut the chain and left it behind and made off with the bike.
This time it was recovered on the same day, the police caught a guy a block away with a handful of tools attempting to take parts off the bike.

That poor CBR500.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Skreemer posted:

I know a guy that visited his family in Albuquerque NM and got his bike stolen twice within the 5 day period he was there.

:stare:

Where the hell did his family live that people tried stealing his bike twice in a week? Was there a crackhouse and chop shop combo right down the street?

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011

Nitrox posted:

Does "robbed" mean "stolen"? Or was it actual robbery? Either way, sorry to hear. Hope it's recovered safely and you're ok.

Thankfully just stolen, as opposed to robbed. It's been parked on this road since Tuesday and was stolen on Thursday, in a 2 hour window whilst I was at the gym. I've rung the recovery agents and I'm going to go and pick it up in half an hour. The guy on the phone said the disc lock was still on, so it doesn't sound like they've had much chance to mutilate the bike when it was recovered by the police. The guy also let me know about the £150 charge attached to having my mint condition bike stolen.

I think I might bump my insurance coverage up now I no longer live on a safe and sheltered island.

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011

Skreemer posted:

I know a guy that visited his family in Albuquerque NM and got his bike stolen twice within the 5 day period he was there

My imagination and this story is exactly why I'm going to go straight home from uni today and put my bike in a garage where it belongs.

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011
Got it back, it's covered in fingerprint powder, so it looks rough but I can't see any major damage to the fairings or anything. The steering lock's been snapped and the piky cunts must have missed the disc lock on the back because they've damaged something on the rear brake that's caused the caliper to come loose. I've had a quick look over it, but can't work out what's broken/missing.

Other than that, the bike's how I left it, thankfully. I'm now sat in the lounge, with a direct view of my bike only 25ft away. I won't leave poor baby alone again :(

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Ripoff posted:

:stare:

Where the hell did his family live that people tried stealing his bike twice in a week? Was there a crackhouse and chop shop combo right down the street?

I believe a brother said Albuquerque.

I was there for like an hour. I'd rather be in St. Louis or Baltimore: that place is a hellhole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

captainOrbital posted:

I believe a brother said Albuquerque.
Yep. New Mexico, in general, is not the sort of place a person wants to go.