Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

hiddenriverninja posted:

I read an article somewhere that over the broadcast of a football game, the average on the field playing time is 11 minutes.

There is an infographic about this that's fairly interesting, but I don't have it at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

hiddenriverninja posted:

I read an article somewhere that over the broadcast of a football game, the average on the field playing time is 11 minutes.

Yeah, but they spend the rest of the time just passing the ball back and forth.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
If we are gonna play the time game only about 2-5 minutes of a 90 minute soccer game has any impact on the outcome. And I'm being generous.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
I'm amazed that a discussion of American football hasn't attracted a "handegg" joke. Well now you can have schadenfreude on all the people who ever make that joke. The reason that American or Gridiron football is called football is the exact same reason that many other games are called football -because they are played on foot. This comes from the days when the nobility played their games on horseback, and the commoners played on foot, thus a plurality of games called "Football", which all have the same basic goals: "I'm going to put the ball through your goal", and "No you're not", a format that almost every sport follows. Baseball is the real outlier here, with its oddball nature of one guy from one team lining up against a whole field of other guys, who start with the ball, except they don't want the ball so they try to give it to the one guy really fast, but he doesn't want it either, so he tries to hit it with a stick, ideally out of the field so that nobody can play with it anymore. Baseball is weird.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Red_October_7000 posted:

I'm amazed that a discussion of American football hasn't attracted a "handegg" joke. Well now you can have schadenfreude on all the people who ever make that joke. The reason that American or Gridiron football is called football is the exact same reason that many other games are called football -because they are played on foot. This comes from the days when the nobility played their games on horseback, and the commoners played on foot, thus a plurality of games called "Football", which all have the same basic goals: "I'm going to put the ball through your goal", and "No you're not", a format that almost every sport follows. Baseball is the real outlier here, with its oddball nature of one guy from one team lining up against a whole field of other guys, who start with the ball, except they don't want the ball so they try to give it to the one guy really fast, but he doesn't want it either, so he tries to hit it with a stick, ideally out of the field so that nobody can play with it anymore. Baseball is weird.

Tennis also does this.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Blah Blah Blah, Pictures!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Reddit has made its very own buttcoin, called reddit notes. http://www.redditblog.com/2014/12/announcing-reddit-notes.html

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

kalstrams posted:

Reddit has made its very own buttcoin, called reddit notes.

Let the :spergin: begin.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

There is an infographic about this that's fairly interesting, but I don't have it at the moment.

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009
^arse

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I think you're referring to this:

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

If we are gonna play the time game only about 2-5 minutes of a 90 minute soccer game has any impact on the outcome. And I'm being generous.

If you pretended it was only the winning shot/goal/point/shazzo that counts and you can just watch 1 min of replays of any sport on earth. Commercials and 'Shots of players standing around' taking up 2/3rds of screen time is :psyduck:

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jombo posted:

^arse

I think you're referring to this:

If you pretended it was only the winning shot/goal/point/shazzo that counts and you can just watch 1 min of replays of any sport on earth. Commercials and 'Shots of players standing around' taking up 2/3rds of screen time is :psyduck:

No one is saying that the way the NFL handles broadcasts isn't hosed up. Every years there's new rules about how to shove in more commercials. But the game is still going on while "Players are standing around" mainly in coaching calls, play formations, and strategy.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Volume posted:

No one is saying that the way the NFL handles broadcasts isn't hosed up. Every years there's new rules about how to shove in more commercials. But the game is still going on while "Players are standing around" mainly in coaching calls, play formations, and strategy.

Exactly. To put it in nerd terms it would be like complaining that only X% of a MTG game takes place in the combat phase.

Anyway, here's Ricardo Lockette killing a dude.

(It looks worse than it is, the guy was ok.)

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

kalstrams posted:

Is American football the same as regular football, when you ask good player on his opinion about UN actions and he asks back if that's some new football club he hasn't heard of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG2yELLZgB8

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Volume posted:

Yep. If there's one thing I've learned about football through the years, it's that the game seems to be a complicated, always-evolving form of chess with CTE. I really don't understand how people memorize something like this. http://www.footballxos.com/download/offense/pro-offense/2006-Dallas-Cowboys-Offense.pdf

Not trying to derail, so here's some football schadenfreude...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOfUBG0pKjk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTGco82JKHo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-tqLG__Al4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTeqQY_T2mE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrU8z4w8T-4

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

Exactly. To put it in nerd terms it would be like complaining that only X% of a MTG game takes place in the combat phase.

Anyway, here's Ricardo Lockette killing a dude.

(It looks worse than it is, the guy was ok.)

Gotta keep your head on a swivel

http://deadspin.com/5964960/nebrask...-flagged-for-it

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

Well just like you wouldn't want to watch a bunch of nerds play MTG, a bunch of guys standing around doesn't make entertaining TV.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Ra-amun posted:

Well just like you wouldn't want to watch a bunch of nerds play MTG, a bunch of guys standing around doesn't make entertaining TV.

I am hereby informing you that you are in fact, WRONG!

http://kotaku.com/espn-used-to-show-magic-card-tournaments-seriously-983292205
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQuXalg4PKs

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
racist resigns after outed as racist

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Ra-amun posted:

"Guys standing around" is the dumbest way to say it and really shows the bias in those dumb infographics. The way plays are set up before the actual play starts is pretty important and interesting. If you don't like football that's cool but understand that there's more to it than "guys standing around"

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Stupid criminals- hell, stupid people in general- who think they're smart are hilarious. Too bad they're also maddening and often run things.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Man sportscasting was so much better before the invention of SQL.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

kazil posted:

"Guys standing around" is the dumbest way to say it and really shows the bias in those dumb infographics. The way plays are set up before the actual play starts is pretty important and interesting. If you don't like football that's cool but understand that there's more to it than "guys standing around"

Guys sitting down
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000286025/One-year-anniversary-of-the-butt-fumble

Really though, football is awesome, and it hurts like a motherfucker.

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014

kazil posted:

Meh. I'm Australian and I watch cricket. Test cricket is considered the pinnacle by players and lovers of the game, but it bores people shitless if they just want to watch 'big hits', etc. I completely understand - if you're not a fan, it's loving boring, and the popular one-day and 20/20 versions of the game are much more exciting. My brother spent time in the US, and he follows the NFL because he's made an effort to understand it. I don't understand it well, and I'm used to more flow in football codes: soccer, rugby union / league - but calling any popular sport 'boring' is probably the result of a lack of understanding. You don't get multi-million / billion dollar sports without appealing to tactics and strategy in team sports.

That said, golf is rubbish - a sport where alcoholics can be competitive. :smuggo:

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Pudding Space posted:

That said, golf is rubbish - a sport where alcoholics can be competitive. :smuggo:

I dunno, I think Darts wins on that level, in at least in golf you have to walk sometimes. I remember watching Darts on TV with my dad (around mid-to-late 90's) and the players were drinking pints of larger and smoking fags between turns.

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014

White Dog Eggs posted:

I dunno, I think Darts wins on that level, in at least in golf you have to walk sometimes. I remember watching Darts on TV with my dad (around mid-to-late 90's) and the players were drinking pints of larger and smoking fags between turns.

I stand corrected. A world champion:

"Andy Fordham: I became world darts champion despite never being sober"

Fortunately, this bloke had a serious health scare, and has made some changes.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
His wrist rolls make me feel sad.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

That watch looks like it's suffering.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Please stop bickering over sports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fnYNeMojvg

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Pudding Space posted:

I stand corrected. A world champion:

"Andy Fordham: I became world darts champion despite never being sober"

Fortunately, this bloke had a serious health scare, and has made some changes.

His hair is a bird, your argument is invalid.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh god a GIRL has her HAIR touching my desk what do I do

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dudes getting blown the gently caress up is the best thing about football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIu22jokKKk

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh god a GIRL has her HAIR touching my desk what do I do

I wish that there was a fifth picture showing the girl slamming the scissors towards the person's face.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Or that person being permanently barred from returning to that class and maybe even getting expelled for what could be considered an assault on another student's person.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
Actually, that poo poo's hilarious yo

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Or :happened:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Ehhhh, this COULD very well be real. I mean, the photos look pretty convincing. Unless the photo taker brought hair that looks freshly cut to school with him/her... In which case this is just weird.

Edit: After further review, the strands of hair on his desk appear to be much shorter than what they were showing us they were about to cut. Still, this could be totally real.

Zipperelli. has a new favorite as of 18:10 on Dec 20, 2014

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

FAROOQ posted:

Actually, that poo poo's hilarious yo

Some people spend a lot of time on their hair and it's a real dick move to just cut it like that. I can already think of at least one scenario off the top of my head which would make it super awful - she might be growing it to donate to sick kids and that poo poo set her back months, you don't loving know and can't assume. Just speak up and say 'your loving hair is on my desk' and any reasonable person would move it.

One of my very good friends has anxiety and does very well hiding it and functioning normally, you only really notice the part that is centered around her hair, because her abusive dad used to grab her and forcibly cut her hair as a kid. As an adult, she has chosen to grow it as long as possible, down to her butt at this point. If someone did this to her, she'd be utterly destroyed. The amount of cruelty in that moment, for someone to do that to her just for a momentary laugh…that would be astonishing. You don't just do that to people.

\/\/\/ It's probably fake, I'm just responding to the childish 'lol ruining something on someone's body without letting them know is HIIIIILAAARIOUS' sentiment

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 18:13 on Dec 20, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Meaning that they planned it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
Who cuts someone else's hair? That's stupid

When I was at school we'd set it on fire then shout "URGGHHH, YOU SMELL LIKE A GAY FACTORY" and run away.

loving millennials.

• Locked thread