Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Democratic Pirate posted:

The best thing about the future Mistborn sequels is that Marsh is apparently still strolling around chatting with Sazed/Harmony. I wonder if he can communicate directly with Sazed if he travels to different worlds in the Cosmere.

Brandon's a tease, because
apparently Sazed has kandra secret agents in a bunch of other books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

ScaryJen posted:

I have a couple other books to read after Elantris (Clariel came out last month and I haven't even flipped through it yet), but I'm either going to pick up the next two Mistborns or Way of Kings next. I had pretty much written off the new steampunky Mistborn book, but according to the thread it's actually good? I might have to read it after all.

Definitely read the next 2 Mistborn books, because while Sanderson is kinda poo poo at writing a forbidden love story, he's fantastic at writing an "everything is going to poo poo" story, so at least book 3 is good.

Alloy of law isn't steampunk, it's a proper Western in a fantasy world.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Umbra Dubium posted:

I hope he has a good reason for this, because it never made sense when GRRM said "yeah, there's going to be a huge timeskip right in the middle of my story about the end of the world," and of course he realised it would never work.

I actually feel like it's the other way 'round now -- the timeskip would have allowed us to not have to plod slowly with everyone place to place and check in with the characters once things had advanced a bit -- I feel like things have really slowed down and dragged out in the last book or two as a result of just going straight through instead of skipping forward.

I completely accept GRRM's statement that he couldn't make it work and decided against it, but I think the *idea* was not a fundamentally bad one...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Quinton posted:

I actually feel like it's the other way 'round now -- the timeskip would have allowed us to not have to plod slowly with everyone place to place and check in with the characters once things had advanced a bit -- I feel like things have really slowed down and dragged out in the last book or two as a result of just going straight through instead of skipping forward.

I completely accept GRRM's statement that he couldn't make it work and decided against it, but I think the *idea* was not a fundamentally bad one...

It was bad for GRRM's story because some POVs you can jump into without any flashbacks (Arya mainly, but I guess Dany also) but some require a large amount to figure out what's going on (Cersei, Jon, Bran especially, everyone in the South really).

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Tunicate posted:

What, really? Which other books and where?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

enigma74 posted:

What, really? Which other books and where?

Nobody knows. That's the tease.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tunicate posted:

That's awesome. I can't wait until he starts bringing all the Comsere stuff together, though it will probably be at least 20 years or so until it happens :(

At least we have some tentative connections in Stormlight Archives, with the Warbreaker crossover.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Torrannor posted:

That's awesome. I can't wait until he starts bringing all the Comsere stuff together, though it will probably be at least 20 years or so until it happens :(

At least we have some tentative connections in Stormlight Archives, with the Warbreaker crossover.

Pretty much. http://inside.flipboard.com/2014/12/04/on-the-red-couch-with-fantasy-novelist-brandon-sanderson/

quote:

The Stormlight Archive will be 10 books long and your third in the series, Stones Unhallowed, is due out in 2016. How do you stay on top of it?

It’s on track for 2016. Those books take a lot of work to write. I found that they come out better if I take a break in between them, to let the ideas continue to flow. My plan is to do one every two years. I like to have a solid plan for every story I’m working on. Beyond that, I do have assistants whose jobs are to focus on continuity.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, there's apparently quite a lot of planet-hopping characters in the books, we just don't know enough to spot most of them. I've heard there's a Terriswoman in Warbreaker somewhere, but good luck trying to find someone who stands out in Hallandren.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Quantum Toast posted:

Yeah, there's apparently quite a lot of planet-hopping characters in the books, we just don't know enough to spot most of them. I've heard there's a Terriswoman in Warbreaker somewhere, but good luck trying to find someone who stands out in Hallandren.

I'm guessing the lady who talks about 'copper mines'.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

quote:

Tor Books is eye-wideningly excited to announce that TWO new Mistborn novels by Brandon Sanderson will be released in late 2015 and early 2016!

The novels will continue Wax and Wayne’s adventures in the world of Mistborn, a series begun by 2011’s The Alloy of Law, which was itself a short story that just kept growing and growing until, well, until it grew into a series of novels!

Sanderson was already hard at work on the follow-up novel to Alloy of Law, when something unexpected happened. Tor Books editor Moshe Feder explains:

If there’s one thing we’ve learned in ten years of working with Brandon, it’s that he almost always delivers more than we’ve asked for and that he loves to surprise us.

We were awaiting the arrival of the previously-announced sequel to The Alloy of Law called Shadows of Self when he did it again, presenting us with not just one newborn novel, but twins! The surprise package was the third Wax & Wayne adventure, Bands of Mourning. The resulting atmosphere around the office was a heady combination of Christmas morning and the first night of Chanukah.

Shadows of Self, the second book in the Wax and Wayne Mistborn series, is currently scheduled to arrive on shelves and ereaders in October 2015, followed by Bands of Mourning in January 2016. Tor Books and Tor.com will announce precise release dates as soon as we have them!

Apparently Sanderson is writing up something on his blog that should go live in 10 minutes or so as well.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Yessssssssssssssssssss.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sanderson is amazing. Publisher asks for a book. Sanderson drops two on their doorstep like it's nothing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

http://brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-december-2014/

Too long to quote.

-4 total Alloy of Law books
-thinking about maybe doing 1940s mistborn
-Elantris sequels after Stormlight 5
-Warbreaker sequels after those
-Mistborn 1980s after that stuff.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So, Shadows of Self in October next year, and Bands of Mourning in January 2016. Also, there will be a fourth and final book with Wax and Wayne, called The Lost Metal. These titles are all interesting. Shadows of Self immediately makes me think of certain allomantic powers, Bands of Mourning can be either copperminds or some application of hemalurgy, and there is one metal from the Mistborn trilogy which immediately jumps out as The Lost Metal.

Edit: He needs to do the Elantris sequels before he can write the 1980 or so Mistborn books for Cosmere reasons! That stuff will probably become more and more important as the different series progress.

Edit 2: He will do Dragonsteel (Hoid's backstory) only after he is through with Stormlight Archive, so it will probably be about 2 decades until we get it.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 18, 2014

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I find it hard to understand how one person can come up with so many good books...

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Torrannor posted:

and there is one metal from the Mistborn trilogy which immediately jumps out as The Lost Metal.

Which one? Because I think either Atium or Lerasium could fit the bill and have interesting implications.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MildShow posted:

Which one? Because I think either Atium or Lerasium could fit the bill and have interesting implications.

Lerasium was never really a thing in the first place, I don't think it really fits the description of the lost metal.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I think that it's more likely Atium. Still, it looked like the killer in the prolouge of Alloy of Law had atium, given that he seemed to know where the bullet would come from.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Dalael posted:

I find it hard to understand how one person can come up with so many good books...

Obviously he's using the opposite of Marasi's skill. Hacking time, yo.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Odette posted:

Obviously he's using the opposite of Marasi's skill. Hacking time, yo.

He is the anti-GRRM.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

He is the anti-GRRM.
You may be on to something there. I suspect Hemalurgy.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Torrannor posted:

So, Shadows of Self in October next year, and Bands of Mourning in January 2016. Also, there will be a fourth and final book with Wax and Wayne, called The Lost Metal. These titles are all interesting. Shadows of Self immediately makes me think of certain allomantic powers, Bands of Mourning can be either copperminds or some application of hemalurgy, and there is one metal from the Mistborn trilogy which immediately jumps out as The Lost Metal.

Edit: He needs to do the Elantris sequels before he can write the 1980 or so Mistborn books for Cosmere reasons! That stuff will probably become more and more important as the different series progress.

Edit 2: He will do Dragonsteel (Hoid's backstory) only after he is through with Stormlight Archive, so it will probably be about 2 decades until we get it.

He plans for a Stormlight Archive every 1.5 years so only a decade!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

omnibobb posted:

He plans for a Stormlight Archive every 1.5 years so only a decade!

But a break between 5 and 6, so he can do like six other books.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
They say too many books can spoil the both, but honey I don't think that's true. Yes, too many books can spoil the broth, but they fill our hearts with so much, so much LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I think it's funny that, from what I understand, he couldn't figure out exactly how to write the 2nd Wax/Wayne book so he went ahead and wrote the 3rd book to give him some guidance.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Did he release any book this fall, or was the 2nd Stormlight book his last release? Kinda craving for a fix but I just can't get myself to care at all about Mistborn.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

I think it's funny that, from what I understand, he couldn't figure out exactly how to write the 2nd Wax/Wayne book so he went ahead and wrote the 3rd book to give him some guidance.

Thats pretty much how writing goes! Glimmer's of brilliance with lots of hard work built around it to make it work. :unsmith:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Tahirovic posted:

Did he release any book this fall, or was the 2nd Stormlight book his last release? Kinda craving for a fix but I just can't get myself to care at all about Mistborn.

He released the sequel to Legion, which is less a book and more an hour or two's worth of reading.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

He released the sequel to Legion, which is less a book and more an hour or two's worth of reading.

Also Sixth of the Dusk, which is even shorter, was included in an anthology and also a standalone ebook

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also, steelheart 2 is coming out jan 6th, or something like that.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

I think I've heard him say on Writing Excuses that when writing a book he needs to have a good idea of how its going to finish. The 2nd and 3rd Alloy of Law books probably overlap quite a bit, so he needs to write the end and then figure out how to get to the end from the start.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
So I'm thinking of just skipping Hero of Ages and moving on to the Wax/Wayne books, because with Kelsier gone I'm stuck with a bunch of people I don't like at all except for Vin, and I ended up getting spoiled that she's going to die so that pretty much Ruined any desire I have to finish this. And it's just been generally an unpleasant experience? Book 1 was pretty fun and had a unique setup, but book 2 felt like very little actual material stretched really, really thin. I'm a few hundred pages into book 3 and not feeling it at all.

It's crazy how much more I enjoy the Stormlight books.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

So I'm thinking of just skipping Hero of Ages and moving on to the Wax/Wayne books, because with Kelsier gone I'm stuck with a bunch of people I don't like at all except for Vin, and I ended up getting spoiled that she's going to die so that pretty much Ruined any desire I have to finish this. And it's just been generally an unpleasant experience? Book 1 was pretty fun and had a unique setup, but book 2 felt like very little actual material stretched really, really thin. I'm a few hundred pages into book 3 and not feeling it at all.

Book three has a pretty important ending, that possibly is one of the most important in his whole 'cosmere' so far, especially for all the later books in the Mistborn world. I'd honestly keep pushing forward, because the stuff that happens in that book even ends up apparently even affecting other books in his shared universe outside of the Mistborn books, and some of the stuff they're building up to in the Wax and Wayne books won't make as much sense if you didn't finish the third. If you're already a couple hundred pages into book three you probably can't be that far from the ending unless it's a lot longer than I remember.

I guess if you're really absolutely 100% opposed to reading the ending you can just look up what happens or skip to near the end to at least get the important stuff.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Hero of Ages is really good. It's way better than #2. Not quite as good as #1, but super important.

It's very bleak but has a number of crazy twists.

Also, yes, Vin dies but she goes out like a goddamned boss at the very end.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

ConfusedUs posted:

Hero of Ages is really good. It's way better than #2. Not quite as good as #1, but super important.

It's very bleak but has a number of crazy twists.

Also, yes, Vin dies but she goes out like a goddamned boss at the very end.

Also, Spook has a fairly important story arc (At least to the Wax/Wayne books)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'd say 2 is definitely the low point in the series.

Anyway, a giant Q&A transcript from the Salt Lake City Comicon just went up.

Notable bit: Brandon is thinking of maybe doing a near future mistborn between the modern trilogy and space opera.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There can never be too many books in the Mistborn setting.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Tunicate posted:

I'd say 2 is definitely the low point in the series.

Anyway, a giant Q&A transcript from the Salt Lake City Comicon just went up.

Notable bit: Brandon is thinking of maybe doing a near future mistborn between the modern trilogy and space opera.

There is a very important question that wasn't asked, will the 1980s Mistborn books be based around an 80s hair metal band?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Lobsterpillar posted:

Also, Spook has a fairly important story arc (At least to the Wax/Wayne books)

That was my favorite little Easter egg/ nod to the old books. And really, for as brief as it was, was very memorable and I enjoyed it.