Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Desired AFC and NFC Championship Game participants? (Pick two per conference)
Arizona (NFC)
Baltimore (AFC)
Buffalo (AFC)
Carolina (NFC)
Cincinnati (AFC)
Cleveland (AFC)
Dallas (NFC)
Denver (AFC)
Detroit (NFC)
Green Bay (NFC)
Houston (AFC)
Indianapolis (AFC)
Kansas City (AFC)
Miami (AFC)
Minnesota (NFC)
New England (AFC)
New Orleans (NFC)
Philadelphia (NFC)
Pittsburgh (AFC)
San Diego (AFC)
San Francisco (NFC)
Seattle (NFC)
View Results

• Locked thread
Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

African AIDS cum posted:

Is there a way Arizona and Detroit can both miss the playoffs
Clinch, v., the act of securing a playoff spot; see Cardinals, Arizona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Current Draft Order (SoS only updated through Week 15)
pre:
## Team	Ovr W	Ovr L	Ovr %	SoS W	SoS L	SoS %
01 TEN	2	13	0.133	110.5	113.5	0.493
02 T.B	2	12	0.143	107.5	116.5	0.480
03 OAK	2	12	0.143	131	93	0.585
04 JAX	3	12	0.200	114.5	109.5	0.511
05 WAS	3	11	0.214	111	113	0.496
06 NYJ	3	11	0.214	123	101	0.549
Oakland and potentially Washington get a bump from the Jaguars win, and the Titans are temporarily drafting first. Tennessee is guaranteed a top-four pick.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
If the Titans draft Mariota before we can I'll be pissed. Sorry you guys hosed up with your QB pick last year.

I have a bad feeling the Bucs will trade the pick for Cutler or something and then pick a safety.

E: it could be bias but I don't see Jameis having a great pro career and I see more in Mariota.

Cole fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 19, 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Lions, bitch.

I was pretty neg on them at the beginning of the season and they pulled out some bullshit wins but after the two losses they seem to be at least at little bit more cohesive. If they can win in the playoffs a statue of M. Caldwell will be built.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I was excited because I thought the Browns needed the Chargers to tie once to make the playoffs. And it seemed like some black magic may have started when tonight's game went to overtime, but they specifically needed the Chargers to tie next week only. They also needed the Chargers to lose tonight. The Browns are officially out.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Clinch, v., the act of securing a playoff spot; see Cardinals, Arizona.

Maybe they will change the rules on account of Ryan Lindley stinking it up. Could happen.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Uncle Jam posted:

Lions, bitch.

I was pretty neg on them at the beginning of the season and they pulled out some bullshit wins but after the two losses they seem to be at least at little bit more cohesive. If they can win in the playoffs a statue of M. Caldwell will be built.

How will you tell the difference?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

So in case you're wondering why only Arizona and Detroit have clinched playoff spots, despite the Eagles being eliminated from Wild Card contention:

- If Philly wins in Wk 17 and Dallas loses out then Philly wins the NFCE East and Dallas is 10-6 with a 7-5 NFC record;
- If Detroit lost out they'd be 10-6 with a 8-4 NFC record so they'd be ahead of Dallas, thus they have clinched a playoff spot already;
- If Seattle lost out they'd be 10-6 and since they lost H2H vs Dallas they could finish as low as 7th overall, thus they have not yet clinched a playoff spot;
- If Green Bay lost out they'd be 10-6 and also have 7-5 NFC record, but they'd lose the C.O tie-breaker (see earlier posts breaking this down) and could finish as low as 7th, thus they have not yet clinched a playoff spot.

So a Dallas win over Indy clinches the NFCE for Dallas, and playoff spots for Detroit, Seattle, and Green Bay. The latter three teams can also clinch spots by themselves with a win or tie.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kalensc posted:

So in case you're wondering why only Arizona and Detroit have clinched playoff spots, despite the Eagles being eliminated from Wild Card contention:

- If Philly wins in Wk 17 and Dallas loses out then Philly wins the NFCE East and Dallas is 10-6 with a 7-5 NFC record;
- If Detroit lost out they'd be 10-6 with a 8-4 NFC record so they'd be ahead of Dallas, thus they have clinched a playoff spot already;
- If Seattle lost out they'd be 10-6 and since they lost H2H vs Dallas they could finish as low as 7th overall, thus they have not yet clinched a playoff spot;
- If Green Bay lost out they'd be 10-6 and also have 7-5 NFC record, but they'd lose the C.O tie-breaker (see earlier posts breaking this down) and could finish as low as 7th, thus they have not yet clinched a playoff spot.

So a Dallas win over Indy clinches the NFCE for Dallas, and playoff spots for Detroit, Seattle, and Green Bay. The latter three teams can also clinch spots by themselves with a win or tie.

So for Seattle to get left behind, the Cowboys need to lose today?

edit: yup

Cowboys/Seahawks have to lose out, Eagles win next week vs New York, Green Bay and Detroit pick up one more win either this week or next week (one of them is guaranteed a win next week), and bam, no Seahawks. I feel bad cheering against the Cowboys, because I want to see them in the playoffs over the Seahawks, but this is how it has to be.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 21, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

pathetic little tramp posted:

I was excited because I thought the Browns needed the Chargers to tie once to make the playoffs. And it seemed like some black magic may have started when tonight's game went to overtime, but they specifically needed the Chargers to tie next week only. They also needed the Chargers to lose tonight. The Browns are officially out.

Truly a sad day for us all, but the Browns also needed to win out which will not happen.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

excidium posted:

When you lose to SF this week we'll see how you feel about it then.

Hmmm

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Don't be salty after you win a game like that

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

kalensc posted:

Yeah but the Eagles aren't gonna win the division so this is all gonna be moot in about 4 hours.

:smith:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Go Saints, Go Browns, Go Cards.

That is all.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Blitz7x posted:

Don't be salty after you win a game like that

we've clearly discovered december philip is more powerful than primetime philip.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Silly Burrito posted:

Go Saints

That is all.

Wrong. A 6 win playoff team needs to happen.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Cole posted:

Wrong. A 6 win playoff team needs to happen.

That would require the Saints to lose to the Bucs next week. I wanted it too, but the dream is dead.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Maybe the saints will rest their starters

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
If they win today and Carolina loses, they can rest their starters against the Bucs, but they'll have seven wins already.

I think the only way to get a six win team is to have Saints lose today, Carolina wins today, and the Panthers/Falcons game next week is a tie.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

The Saints almost lost to the Bucs last time they met, anything is possible.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
If the saints went 6-10 and made the playoffs and won the super bowl they would be .500. That's a bandwagon I can get on.

I am also a bucs fan so that might be impacting my dreams a little bit.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So I know the Texans need a lot of things to happen for them to sneak into the playoffs, but can someone break it down for me? I believe the Ravens and Steelers need to lose out?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The lions band wagoners in the bar are crazy. Usually there are a few tables of polite fans but today the place is totally packed with fat guys in jerseys.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

So I know the Texans need a lot of things to happen for them to sneak into the playoffs, but can someone break it down for me? I believe the Ravens and Steelers need to lose out?

- Win out to get to 9-7 overall and a very good 8-4 AFC record;
- You need both AFCW teams at 9-7, so have Pitt beat K.C and K.C beat S.D;
- Have Buffalo lose to New England;
- Have Baltimore lose to Cleveland.

That's about all it takes.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
ˆˆˆYeah I spent too long scratching this out and kalensc beat me to it - only minor difference is I do believe you can have the Bills beat NE next week as long as they lose to the Raiders this week. Losing to NE is much more likely of course.

Shinjobi posted:

Okay so!

The Chargers already won this week which is bad.

You need:

1) Win out of course
2) Steelers need to beat KC
3) This is because you need KC to beat SD next week, so both teams end up worse than you
4) The dolphins can win out or lose out or go 1-1, you're better than Miami.
5) The Bills need to lose at least once.
6) You need the Cleveland Browns to beat the Baltimore Ravens next week...

I think that covers the important games, I didn't calculate for possible ties; there may be another way, but I don't see it.

edit: Also I have no idea how the hell the Dolphins can get in. They must need someone to tie somewhere, I don't see how they beat any tiebreaker with the Chargers winning yesterday.

edit 2: Okay I figured out the Dolphins, they need the Steelers and Ravens to lose out, Bills must lose once, Chiefs need to win out

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 21, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Dark days.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I think the only teams I feel like rooting for in the NFC are the Cards and the Packers.

Which means Seattle will go back to the Super Bowl.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Silly Burrito posted:

I think the only teams I feel like rooting for in the NFC are the Cards and the Packers.

Which means Seattle will go back to the Super Bowl.

Yes.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
What tiebreaker causes the Cowboys unable to get a higher seed than the Packers/Lions?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Hand Row posted:

What tiebreaker causes the Cowboys unable to get a higher seed than the Packers/Lions?

They have the tie breaker on the Seahawks alone, so three way ties are decided by conference record I think. I'm not 100% on this, but I think that's how it breaks.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Shinjobi posted:

They have the tie breaker on the Seahawks alone, so three way ties are decided by conference record I think. I'm not 100% on this, but I think that's how it breaks.

Yeah I think you are right, I didn't realize both teams have a better conference record.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
So the TV was saying Pittsburgh had clinched. But the playoff machine says otherwise. It says that if they lose next week, and the Ravens win and go 10-6, then Pittsburgh will be eliminated via tiebreaker in common games. So the TV men were wrong about Pittsburgh clinching?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

The lions band wagoners in the bar are crazy. Usually there are a few tables of polite fans but today the place is totally packed with fat guys in jerseys.

Do you realize how rare it is for us to have meaningful games to watch in December?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Kawalimus posted:

So the TV was saying Pittsburgh had clinched. But the playoff machine says otherwise. It says that if they lose next week, and the Ravens win and go 10-6, then Pittsburgh will be eliminated via tiebreaker in common games. So the TV men were wrong about Pittsburgh clinching?

That wouldn't eliminate the Steelers, that would just put the Ravens ahead of the Steelers in a Ravens-Steelers tiebreaker and we'd get Bengals 4, Ravens 5, Steelers 6.

With all the other stuff going on, it's not possible for the Ravens to end up ahead of the Steelers and someone else to also end up ahead because the Steelers would have the tiebreaker on all the rest of the leftovers. Essentially it comes down to the Chiefs/Chargers game:

If the Chargers win, they're in.

If the Chiefs win, next in line are the Bills (assuming they win today), then the Texans, then the Ravens, and finally the Chiefs.

edit: I got the playoff machine to show it, but the machine is wrong - if the Bills and Steelers end up with the same record, they have no head to head, so it goes to AFC win-loss. Best case Bills they go 6 and 6, Worst case Steelers they go 8-4 so Steelers would go in.

edit 2: then again, that would be a 3-way tie, so the tiebreakers change to division records of the three teams, where the Bills would edge both the Ravens and Steelers. Maybe there is a 1% thing I'm not seeing here. Could all be moot if the Bills can't get their poo poo together in Oakland.

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 22, 2014

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
This is the scenario I got it to show. It says 4 5 6 Cincinnati SD Baltimore. Cincinnati would lose this week then win next week. SD wins next week and their head to head tiebreaker puts them ahead of the Ravens in the seeding. But the 3-way tie when used here goes for division foes first, and in this scenario it says Baltimore beats Pittsburgh due to common games, so Pitt would be out.

Tell me why this is wrong?

5th Seed - San Diego
Wins tie break over Baltimore based on head-to-head win percentage. Division tie break was initially used to eliminate Pittsburgh (Baltimore wins tie break over Pittsburgh based on best win percentage in common games).
6th Seed - Baltimore
Wins tie break over Pittsburgh based on best win percentage in common games.

Mughe
Mar 17, 2007

I'll tolerate you until I can replace you.
ESPN agrees with you. I don't like it.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
The Seahawks will be the top seed in the NFC if they win their final two games (at Arizona and home against the St. Louis Rams) and Green Bay wins its last two games (at Tampa Bay and home against the Detroit Lions).
The Seahawks will be the top seed if they win their last two games and Lions and Cowboys both win their last two games.
The Seahawks will be the top seed if they win their last two games and Dallas loses one of its final two games (home against Indianapolis and on the road at Washington).

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
This is the tricky part:

Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.

For ease, I'm assuming the Colts will magically win next week so we don't have to throw them into the tiebreaker

That's the first step for breaking a 3-way tie for wildcard spots. In that scenario, all 3 teams are 10-6, and the Ravens are the #2 team in the AFC North while the Chargers are #2 in the AFC West, so I think what that sentence is saying is use that to eliminate the #3 AFCN Steelers before comparing the Ravens and Chargers, right? Then, yeah, that seems like it's possible for the Steelers to get knocked out, but literally everyone is saying the Steelers have clinched. Is there something we're missing?

edit: interestingly, I can no longer get your scenario to show up after refreshing the machine post-Dallas win....

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 22, 2014

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

You mean there could be THREE teams from the AFCN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mughe
Mar 17, 2007

I'll tolerate you until I can replace you.
They updated it now with the following info on the tiebreakers:

5th Seed - Pittsburgh
Wins tie break over San Diego based on best win percentage in conference games. Division tie break was initially used to eliminate Baltimore (Pittsburgh wins tie break over Baltimore based on best win percentage in conference games).
6th Seed - San Diego
Wins tie break over Baltimore based on head-to-head win percentage.

• Locked thread