Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrGvknSRY0Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

The first 45 seconds of this video is possibly the best Dark Souls moment I've ever seen.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Walrus Pete posted:

The first 45 seconds of this video is possibly the best Dark Souls moment I've ever seen.

I find it hilarious that as soon as I read "first 45 seconds" I knew exactly which video that would be before I clicked on the link :)

e: Wait! I was wrong, I thought you'd linked to this one.
e2: Fixed my link.

animatorZed has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Dec 16, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Lizard Wizard posted:

This sounds neat. Are his streams archived anywhere?

You can watch them all on Twitch (and it's a little easier because on Youtube he has to divide them up) but he has them archived on his Youtube channel.

I've been watching both his 1 and 2 runs. They're funny, but also excruciating to watch sometimes when he just does the dumbest stuff or forgets the basic controls altogether. And this is coming from someone who couldn't even figure out how to use the menus for the first hour of DS2. But he's got a sense of humor about it and you have to admire his determination I think. :)

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Is it Dark Souls or Let's Playing that turns people into maniacal over-actors with the subtlety of a claw hammer to the incisors?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Disgusting Coward posted:

Is it Dark Souls or Let's Playing that turns people into maniacal over-actors with the subtlety of a claw hammer to the incisors?

Probably a little of both really. I'll take him over the people who drone on and on about THE LORE :byodood: and how they won't be doing this or that because the game is a measurement of their skill though.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

DarkSouls.gif

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

7c Nickel posted:

DarkSouls.gif

Sorry, I'm pretty sure that title goes to this one:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Mouthguard Chump
Sep 19, 2006
Listen, you degenerate, toothless redneck...

animatorZed posted:

I find it hilarious that as soon as I read "first 45 seconds" I knew exactly which video that would be before I clicked on the link :)

e: Wait! I was wrong, I thought you'd linked to this one.

"Can I reload?"
"No"
That sums up Dark Souls for me.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I've been replaying DS1 with a friend, kind of playing through it and showing off what I think makes it a great game to someone who doesn't game but likes horror/creepy stuff. I had previously beat the three Souls titles, but playing through it again with a series virgin has really opened my eyes up to some cool stuff that I had become inured to.

For example, suffering through Blighttown is easier for me since I've done it a few times, but having someone who can appreciate the grotesque features of the disfigured enemies makes it worth taking the long way. And since I have vague recollections of where important items are and techniques on how to get them, she doesn't have to sit through an incompetent blind run.

Being able to get through Blighttown and Quallaug's Domain while trying to explain the game's unspoken narrative/back story was fun, as was getting to the spider covenant and putting on the Old Witch's Ring. Then poking my head into Lost Izalith to show off the spiders' oozing brother.

There aren't many stand out moments, but I had got cocky early in the run and rushed Pinwheel, then kept going into the Tomb of the Giants before realizing that my equipment sucked and my options were too limited to press on. I didn't even have the Lordvessel at the time, so I don't know what I thought I'd find by dicking around in the dark, but I - oh, I remember. I was trying to save the priestess so my ramblings about how evil the miracle trainer was would make sense. I did that, then realized that I had rested at the bonfire and had no easy way out. It took many, many tries to climb out of the Catacombs, and we joked about how my character should just give up and find an empty coffin to rest in until he hollowed.

I love the games, and I love how empowered a player feels when they return to an area they already conquered. Sen's Fortress becomes a series of small challenges, even though the first time through it seems like a complex gauntlet. It's smart design, and it keeps bringing me back time and time again.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

LawfulWaffle posted:

I've been replaying DS1 with a friend, kind of playing through it and showing off what I think makes it a great game to someone who doesn't game but likes horror/creepy stuff. I had previously beat the three Souls titles, but playing through it again with a series virgin has really opened my eyes up to some cool stuff that I had become inured to.

For example, suffering through Blighttown is easier for me since I've done it a few times, but having someone who can appreciate the grotesque features of the disfigured enemies makes it worth taking the long way. And since I have vague recollections of where important items are and techniques on how to get them, she doesn't have to sit through an incompetent blind run.

Being able to get through Blighttown and Quallaug's Domain while trying to explain the game's unspoken narrative/back story was fun, as was getting to the spider covenant and putting on the Old Witch's Ring. Then poking my head into Lost Izalith to show off the spiders' oozing brother.

There aren't many stand out moments, but I had got cocky early in the run and rushed Pinwheel, then kept going into the Tomb of the Giants before realizing that my equipment sucked and my options were too limited to press on. I didn't even have the Lordvessel at the time, so I don't know what I thought I'd find by dicking around in the dark, but I - oh, I remember. I was trying to save the priestess so my ramblings about how evil the miracle trainer was would make sense. I did that, then realized that I had rested at the bonfire and had no easy way out. It took many, many tries to climb out of the Catacombs, and we joked about how my character should just give up and find an empty coffin to rest in until he hollowed.

I love the games, and I love how empowered a player feels when they return to an area they already conquered. Sen's Fortress becomes a series of small challenges, even though the first time through it seems like a complex gauntlet. It's smart design, and it keeps bringing me back time and time again.

I maintain that DS 1 and 2 are the tightest, most thoughtful, most perfectly tuned and perhaps most important games of the last console generation. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a big dumb impatient baby.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Has this been posted yet? Cause it's really sums up the experience of playing Dark Souls nicely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYbOVTQnbAA

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Blind Sally posted:

Has this been posted yet? Cause it's really sums up the experience of playing Dark Souls nicely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYbOVTQnbAA

Really looking forward to the rest of the game now. :stonklol:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It'll be a slog, but by the end of it you'll be kickin' rear end and takin' names too :unsmith:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Hobo Siege posted:

I maintain that DS 1 and 2 are the tightest, most thoughtful, most perfectly tuned and perhaps most important games of the last console generation. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a big dumb impatient baby.

This is pretty much my sentiment exactly. I imagine that most of us have tried to get someone we know into the game, only for them to rail against it. I have a friend who's a competent gamer who makes truckloads of money out in the middle of nowhere. He doesn't have a lot of friends in the area aside from his Dragon Ball Z-loving roommate, and his girlfriend lives in a different city than him. He's a huge Zelda fan and with all the time he has and the big-rear end TV he owns, Dark Souls would be the perfect thing for him to try. He's always going on about mastering games and getting Platinums, so he should eat up a challenge like DS.

Nope. He played to the Undead Parish and put it aside to play Child of Light, then never returned. There was a brief period where he would text me for advice and I would help him figure stuff out, but it was just too much for the little baby man.

Anyone have similar stories about trying to get friends into what we all know is a shining gem in a generation of mediocrity?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I put Dark SOuls away for a long time without even getting out of the asylum because it just seemed lame, meme-ish, and boring. Now I've pumped almost 300 hours into each game after coming back and having it "Click."

It really helps if you do some of the sequence breaking fun things, like getting the Zwei really early, or the GS.

(The equivalent is starting as an explorer and getting the Great Club in DS.)

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
I always liked the meta-aspect of going hollow.

Going hollow, in game lore, only happens when you finally give up and surrender to your fate and you go crazy as an undead monster. As long as you stay determined and keep pushing and don't give up, you won't ever go hollow.

So your player-character never goes hollow, ever. That only happens once you give up for good and stop playing GOD DARK SOULS IS SO GOOD.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Hobo Siege posted:

Maybe if everything after Ornstein and Smough wasn't so dull and lacking in direction like the first half of the game was.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

A.G.Pennypacker posted:

I always liked the meta-aspect of going hollow.

Going hollow, in game lore, only happens when you finally give up and surrender to your fate and you go crazy as an undead monster. As long as you stay determined and keep pushing and don't give up, you won't ever go hollow.

So your player-character never goes hollow, ever. That only happens once you give up for good and stop playing GOD DARK SOULS IS SO GOOD.

I've heard a lot of people joke that the player version of going hollow is when you die a bunch of times, then get so frustrated that you lose your mind and make stupid mistakes (that get you killed again!)

Just made it to Blighttown. I really miss The Gutter/Black Gulch now. :cripes:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY1u5ID_EVw

I like this guy's videos and I'm sad he hasn't made more.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Fister Roboto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY1u5ID_EVw

I like this guy's videos and I'm sad he hasn't made more.

I'm kind of bored with the endless attempts to rationalize or expound upon a very thin narrative, but this was pretty good.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Saw this on imgur, did not know this could happen:

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

turnways posted:

Well heres my favorite dark souls story, that is exactly how i beat that boss the first time i played. I was just climbing up the ladder then all of the sudden VICTORY ACHIEVED pops up. :darksouls:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Dark souls is the best game I've ever played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12KzmiG4JEg

edit: It owns, actually. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yFgjyE38io

HoneyBoy has a new favorite as of 22:53 on Dec 19, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Even though it's been 2+ years since the original PC release they're finally patching out the lovely Games For Windows Live in favor of Steamworks and you can even convert your old saves and achievements to the new system.

This almost makes up for how bad the original PC port was.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

turnways posted:

I think Iron Golem can also be knocked off his arena and in Dark Souls 2 the first Dragonrider will sometimes fall off if you don't raise the edges of his arena.

For maximum cheese, Capra Demon can be killed without even entering the fog gate, by throwing firebombs over the wall.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Realized these havn't been posted and have rectified it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I6fmvp37TU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD448x8iitk

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Realized these havn't been posted and have rectified it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I6fmvp37TU

Six pages and this hasn't been posted? Without a doubt my favourite Dark Souls video, I don't even know why but no matter my mood I always giggle at it.
Second video is nice too, but it loses a bit of charm when it's not as beautifully synced :allears:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Pretty ssure skulled shuffle has already been posted. that or i just rewatched it recently and forgot about it. it rocks

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Here's a moment you might enjoy from my playing last night - had a few cracks at the Lost Sinner with the help of Lucatiel of Mirrah and wasn't having much luck. Finally got a real human summon to help me out at the very beginning of Sinner's Rise, picked up Lucatiel on the way. Waited at the start of the narrow bridge before the boss for them to catch up, at which point Lucatiel and the human summon both came rushing out, knocking me into the water.

:darksouls:

I was too busy laughing to be mad :3:

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

The debug mode for the game was "accidentally" released so you can play with menus and poo poo and play as Artorias and do cool poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfptp0eEzic
http://webmshare.com/play/yQqyo

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Kimmalah posted:

For maximum cheese, Capra Demon can be killed without even entering the fog gate, by throwing firebombs over the wall.
Ritcheyz did a DS run where he killed the Capra Demon by throwing dung pies from the bridge before the fog gate.
More like "CRAPra Demon" right? :v:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Here's a moment you might enjoy from my playing last night - had a few cracks at the Lost Sinner with the help of Lucatiel of Mirrah and wasn't having much luck. Finally got a real human summon to help me out at the very beginning of Sinner's Rise, picked up Lucatiel on the way. Waited at the start of the narrow bridge before the boss for them to catch up, at which point Lucatiel and the human summon both came rushing out, knocking me into the water.

:darksouls:

I was too busy laughing to be mad :3:

Nice.

I had a fun summon in DS1 yesterday. I am doing a Crossbows Only run (again - did one maybe a year ago), and I picked up a Summon in the Burg. At this point I still have an un-upgraded Light Crossbow, and I am scrambling for bolts because they cost 3x as much as arrows. So I pull in a Sunbro just outside the Burg bonfire. We get through the room across the bridge with the two Battle Axe guys and the Sword guy who comes in. He picks up the hint, and next time I turn around he is naked with a Light Crossbow. :v:

We had a blast teaming up on poo poo and taking down the Taurus Demon. I love when people play along with a gimmick. It's fun as poo poo.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Dooky Dingo posted:

Ritcheyz did a DS run where he killed the Capra Demon by throwing dung pies from the bridge before the fog gate.
More like "CRAPra Demon" right? :v:

I love that you go to all the trouble of killing those big club guys in Blighttown and the only reward you ever get for it is literally a pile of poo poo.

I've made it to Sen's Fortress and I have to ask, are the snake guys weak to ANY weapon? I keep running out of pyromancy.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
They are weak to beat-downs. A strong downward attack with something like an ultra greatsword or club will knock them to the ground, giving you time to finish them with another hit or fend off any other enemies while they get back up. That, or circle-strafe and back-stab them. I don't think they have any major weaknesses that will make any real difference.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Lightning. When in doubt, assume it's weak to lightning.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Blind Sally posted:

They are weak to beat-downs. A strong downward attack with something like an ultra greatsword or club will knock them to the ground, giving you time to finish them with another hit or fend off any other enemies while they get back up. That, or circle-strafe and back-stab them. I don't think they have any major weaknesses that will make any real difference.

Yeah I tried a few clubs (including the giant fuckoff club you get in the previous area) and it did better than swords, but still not so great. They're pretty weak to fire, but like I said I usually run out of everything pretty quick. Guess it's time to just git gud. :shepface:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Kimmalah posted:

Yeah I tried a few clubs (including the giant fuckoff club you get in the previous area) and it did better than swords, but still not so great. They're pretty weak to fire, but like I said I usually run out of everything pretty quick. Guess it's time to just git gud. :shepface:

:darksouls: Aw, yiss. That's the spirit, soldier! :darksouls:

(but seriously, they're pretty easy to circle-strafe and back-stab. Get a decent sword and shield, tank their hits, then back-stab away--their wind-ups are slow and annoying, so back-stabbing is preferred over parry/riposte).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Blind Sally posted:

(but seriously, they're pretty easy to circle-strafe and back-stab. Get a decent sword and shield, tank their hits, then back-stab away--their wind-ups are slow and annoying, so back-stabbing is preferred over parry/riposte).

They really aren't when you're fighting them in tiny corridors and small rooms.

• Locked thread