Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Mr Underhill posted:

Russian President Vladimir Putin said that the new union will have a combined economic output of $4.5 trillion and bring together 170 million people.

Russia only has a GDP of 2 trillion...

:putinmath:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Radler owns

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

It is not as sweet as regular soda and it's very refreshing.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

JaucheCharly posted:

If you've never been to Austria, Slovakia or the Czech Republic, you probably don't even know what beer is. Radler is the beer-equivalent to what american tourists are to the rest of the world.

that's true we don't have beer in belgium

WOLF HONGO
Aug 29, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

:drat:

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
I like to drink a type of vodka called Pelinkovac, it's very popular in the balkans. It's a very mild drink (only 31%), flavored with bitter herbs such as wormwood and of course, tons of sugar. It has a bittersweet taste of broken dreams, a true blue-collar worker's drink. What's funny about Pelinkovac is that its taste is very deceptive, the flavoring masks the taste of alcohol and you can down shots like mountain dew.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Mr Underhill posted:

I only had walnut flavored vodka once. I threw it up almost instantaneously. I was 14, but still.

flavoured vodka is gin is garbage

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I don't even understand who that cartoon is supposed to be making fun of...

:cripes:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

no, u guys sukc

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MrYenko posted:

I don't even understand who that cartoon is supposed to be making fun of...

:cripes:

Kelly always makes sure to be aligned with the editorial stances of his publisher, The Onion.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

steinrokkan posted:

Kelly always makes sure to be aligned with the editorial stances of his publisher, The Onion.

I feel somehow simultaneously more, and less dumb.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

I like to drink a type of vodka called Pelinkovac, it's very popular in the balkans. It's a very mild drink (only 31%), flavored with bitter herbs such as wormwood and of course, tons of sugar. It has a bittersweet taste of broken dreams, a true blue-collar worker's drink. What's funny about Pelinkovac is that its taste is very deceptive, the flavoring masks the taste of alcohol and you can down shots like mountain dew.

the bitter finish of pelinkovac is not unlike malört, for comparison. also it's not vodka

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Would you say it's similar to absinthe? It does sound like that - absinthe, too, seems to mask its alcohol content pretty effectively, leading to unparalleled shitfaceness.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Would you say it's similar to absinthe? It does sound like that - absinthe, too, seems to mask its alcohol content pretty effectively, leading to unparalleled shitfaceness.

I can drink a 1 liter bottle of this stuff in about an hour. I rarely do this, though, because it gets me drunk like motherfucking hell (though, interestingly, I'm never nauseous from it). You can buy these nifty little 0.1 bottles and they're great for measuring out how much you intend to drink while you're still sober. Three 0.1 bottles is a good starting point and you won't get drunk (too much).

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

eSports Chaebol posted:

also it's not vodka

Yes it's vodka. The distillery makes a batch of potato alcohol and flavors the product with whatever-the-gently caress to make a range of drinks. A number of drinks had to be renamed after Croatia entered the EU because what the distilleries were selling had absolutely nothing to do with the name. For example, "Brandy" was just caramel-flavored vodka and it was clumsily renamed to "Brand".

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Duvel is one of two beer brands I am able to drink without necessity.

Yes it's vodka. The distillery makes a batch of potato alcohol and flavors the product with whatever-the-gently caress to make a range of drinks. A number of drinks had to be renamed after Croatia entered the EU because what the distilleries were selling had absolutely nothing to do with the name. For example, "Brandy" was just caramel-flavored vodka and it was clumsily renamed to "Brand".
Per EU laws vodka begins at 37.5%, typical standard is 40%. Thing you write about can be just some alcoholic beverage or I don't know, like they did in Latvia with "brandies" that did cost $10/liter.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
On the topic of driving, the only thing special about Russians is the dashcams. I was in Croatia a few years ago and those dudes drove like they actively wanted to die and parked as if they intended to abandon their vehicle. It is not a slavic thing as anyone who has been in southern France (there is always one more lane than the markings indicate) or southern Italy (what are lanes) can confirm.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Haha, we had the same. We used to sell potato liquor flavored with rum essences as "domestic rum" (a proud tradition as Austria-Hungary didn't have any colonies so it tried to manufacture rum without using colonial imports). It was, and probably remains, the bestselling hard liquor in the country. Nowadays the EU forbids branding anything unrelated to sugar cane as rum, so manufacturers had to adopt various colloquialisms as official names of their drinks. Needless to say, the resulting brands sound completely retarded to any native speaker.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

R.U.M. :v:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

kalstrams posted:

Duvel is one of two beer brands I am able to drink without necessity.

Per EU laws vodka begins at 37.5%, typical standard is 40%. Thing you write about can be just some alcoholic beverage or I don't know, like they did in Latvia with "brandies" that did cost $10/liter.

It may not be vodka, technically, but it's flavored spirit - and vodka is just a pure spirit falling within a certain arbitrary alcohol per volume range.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

Haha, we had the same. We used to sell potato liquor flavored with rum essences as "domestic rum" (a proud tradition as Austria-Hungary didn't have any colonies so it tried to manufacture rum without using colonial imports). It was, and probably remains, the bestselling hard liquor in the country. Nowadays the EU forbids branding anything unrelated to sugar cane as rum, so manufacturers had to adopt various colloquialisms as official names of their drinks. Needless to say, the resulting brands sound completely retarded to any native speaker.

Austrian "domestic rum" is literally Rum made from Sugarbeets rather than sugar cane you malinformed miscreant.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

It may not be vodka, technically, but it's flavored spirit - and vodka is just a pure spirit falling within a certain arbitrary alcohol per volume range.
Well, I don't say it's not flavoured spirit, but I disagree that it's vodka, and the argument about the matter is identical to that when people say that radler is beer.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

how me a frog posted:

Austrian "domestic rum" is literally Rum made from Sugarbeets rather than sugar cane you malinformed miscreant.

1) Nowaday the Austrians make Inländer Rum and Stroh variants from a number of crops, including proper sugar cane.
2) It's not rum because it needs to be artificially flavored, with various simple esters and other compounds.Also the EU law doesn't recognize sugar beet alcohol as rum.
3) I'm not from Austria. I'm from the Czech republic, and we do mostly use potatoes.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

kalstrams posted:

Well, I don't say it's not flavoured spirit, but I disagree that it's vodka, and the argument about the matter is identical to that when people say that radler is beer.

Radler is literally beer plus extra stuff though...

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Needless to say, the resulting brands sound completely retarded to any native speaker.

We alcoholics have nicknames for local spirits - "Brandy" is nicknamed "Mirogojček" after the Mirogoj cemetery in Zagreb. The message is clear - whoever drinks this poo poo isn't gonna kick around for too long. :D

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

how me a frog posted:

Radler is literally beer plus extra stuff though...
Yes, that's what makes it radler. It's like stating that some person is turd based on a fact that they didn't wipe their rear end completely.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

kalstrams posted:

Yes, that's what makes it radler. It's like stating that some person is turd based on a fact that they didn't wipe their rear end completely.

No its more like saying a man isnt a man because he put on a bra and a wig. Its still a man with a bra and wig thrown in extra.

Your argument seems to be mulled wine is not wine. Youre fantastically wrong.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

how me a frog posted:

No its more like saying a man isnt a man because he put on a bra and a wig. Its still a man with a bra and wig thrown in extra.

These are bad analogies because radler is half a beer with some sugary soda making up the balance. It's not a full beer with some additional flavors.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

3) I'm not from Austria. I'm from the Czech republic, and we do mostly use potatoes.

I have been informed by a Bosnian acquaintance that Bosnian slivovic is better than all other varieties. I have a bottle of Badel slivovic (which is Croation) and have also tried the Bosnian stuff and while I could tell they weren't identical I did not have an opinion as to which was better.

Regardless my point is that apparently you balkan folks also like to make stuff out of plums. Stuff which has a flavor bearing absolutely no resemblance to a plum.

I also have a bottle of Badel "plum brandy" which is clear, and does not taste like plums or like brandy.

e. wait is Radler just Shandy?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

how me a frog posted:

There's chemical reasoning why vodka is 40% and why many of stronger spirits are concentrated around 40% and 70%. To avoid writing effortpost on basic college level chemistry, let me just say that at 31% you will get taste of flavoured water with ethanol in it. Structurability: A Collective Measure of the Structural Differences in Vodkas by Hu et. al. goes into slight details on the topic.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

you balkan folks

You may want to refresh your geography.

Also decent plum brandy does have a flavour, just as e.g. apricot brandy is quite unmistakable. However, it's an acquired taste, and you need to get over its varnish-stripping qualities to appreciate the subtleties hiding underneath. It's difficult to say how much practice it takes to get to like slivovitz. Some natives have been training since early puberty and still only drink it because of a sense of duty.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Reading the last few pages I no longer wonder what's going on in east Ukraine. Everyone's having a drunken argument about what makes a vodka. Mendeleyev must be rolling in his grave.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Yeah, it has to be plum and it has to be 40%+. Once the building cleaning lady came by and I asked my gf to pour her a glass of the stuff (i think it was around 60%), and as she doesnt drink she had no idea how much to pour, so the cleaning lady downed 200 ml of the stuff in less than a minute before my increasingly bulging eyes, then got up and out the door like it was nothing, no slurred speach, nothing. Had that been me, the only thing moving me would've been the paramedics. It takes years and years to master booze fu on that kevel.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

e. wait is Radler just Shandy?

yes

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Very exciting.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Reading the last few pages I no longer wonder what's going on in east Ukraine. Everyone's having a drunken argument about what makes a vodka. Mendeleyev must be rolling in his grave.
Mendeleev's relation to vodka, the way it's usually being put, is mostly a legend.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

vodka is a for idiot teenagers

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Gorgolflox posted:

Very exciting.

that's adorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az
Dec 2, 2005

radler isnt counted as alchol, its basically mixing some beer into your lemonade when you want to go biking or outside in the summer and you dont want to start drinking (yet).

• Locked thread