Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

demonR6 posted:

I'll be hanging out in Mumble looking for some help spending my 20k MC on some decent mechs for CW play. If anyone would be kind enough to give me some guidance, I'm still terrible at robots but w/e.

I'd just buy mechbays and premium time. There are some alright hero mechs, but most of them are either junk or not as good as one of the regular variants (aka the one you'll want to bring to CW). Firebrand looks good because you can build a boomjager out of it, Illya is good with dual gauss. Everything else I'm not sure about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Speaking of being a dumb idiot who bought a founder but never spent any of his nazi gold, does anyone have pertinent words or a build for Ember?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Fil5000 posted:

It's the 1N I was meaning which isn't in there. That's the one with the ridiculous AC quirks.
Oh, then who cares. If the hero mech isn't good then I wouldn't get the bundle. Just get the regular mechs with cbills.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 24, 2014

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Pycckuu posted:

I'd just buy mechbays and premium time. There are some alright hero mechs, but most of them are either junk or not as good as one of the regular variants (aka the one you'll want to bring to CW). Firebrand looks good because you can build a boomjager out of it, Illya is good with dual gauss. Everything else I'm not sure about.

People dig Misery but I'm not sure how pricey that thing is.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Mindblast posted:

People dig Misery but I'm not sure how pricey that thing is.

Heroes are all 75 MC per ton.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
Whoa. People are playing this again?

Is it good? Can I be FDR Kerensky once more?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Malkar posted:

Whoa. People are playing this again?

Is it good? Can I be FDR Kerensky once more?

I was watching that video last night. Kerensky nights were good times.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

Speaking of being a dumb idiot who bought a founder but never spent any of his nazi gold, does anyone have pertinent words or a build for Ember?

I like to run it with 4 machine guns and 4 medium lasers. Maybe 2 tons of ammo, put one of them in your head. Still have weight for a lot of jump jets. You could swap out the 4 medium lasers for 4 small pulse lasers if that's the sort of thing you prefer.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I found this and I figured I would put it here.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
I wish there were mastery packs for the Raven and Thunderbolt as those are two of the Mechs I want the most right now. There's even a hero Raven already, so no reason they couldn't toss up a pack. I should probably just get the Firestarter pack to get my light fix I guess.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

Lonjon posted:

I like to run it with 4 machine guns

I'm not sure I want to live in a universe where a sentence starts with this and is serious.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pictured: The Great Modpud Doxxing Incident

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Malkar posted:

I'm not sure I want to live in a universe where a sentence starts with this and is serious.

Oh, yes you do! Come on, it's cool (and kind of amazing, given their track record) that PGI has managed to make most weapons useful in at least some niche.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Malkar posted:

Machine guns are very effective against unarmored sections now, but they are almost completely useless against armor.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Making machine guns useful is like the one of the only things PGI ever did right, don't knock it. Running circle around big mechs spraying machine guns in my Cicada was like the only time I ever had fun in this lovely game.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

It's true, machinegun bukakke video is now outdated. They actually work and are good.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Malkar posted:

Yeah, MGs are actually great at tearing up components and dearmored limbs.

Now the 4 MPLs someone else suggested I run... (Or did they also fix those?)

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

It's true, machinegun bukakke video is now outdated. They actually work and are good.

I didn't keep up with the machine gun changes, but someone earlier mentioned they are the same as small lasers now. How accurate is this? Could you actually use it to damage a mech, or are they only useful as crit-seeking weapons?

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Orv posted:

Now the 4 MPLs someone else suggested I run... (Or did they also fix those?)

Pulse lasers have been rebalanced and are pretty good these days. Doubly so on a mech with quirks to make them better, like the SPL or MPL Firestarters, or the MPL Thunderbolt.

gwarm01 posted:

I didn't keep up with the machine gun changes, but someone earlier mentioned they are the same as small lasers now. How accurate is this? Could you actually use it to damage a mech, or are they only useful as crit-seeking weapons?

They do appear to do about as much DPS as a small laser to armor (constantly, over time, so not quite as good overall), but because of their crit seeking just absolutely shred unarmored components. In my Ember, I just shoot lasers until I see an open component, and then turn on the bullet hose, or just use the MGs when I'm hot and cooling down to stay in the fight.

Edit: for clarity

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 24, 2014

Jimbosaurus
Feb 3, 2004
I believe in Jesus, our one Lord and GOD to be man's savior. Let us praise him at all times.

Kylra posted:

Champions are +XP only. Hero mechs are +cbills only. So you only get 1 cbill mech per pack.

Edit, Some Champion mechs give cbill bonuses: Founders and anime mechs do.

Jimbosaurus fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 24, 2014

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I have 7300 hitler gold from my founder pack left. Which mastery pack also has a good Hero mech in it?
Is The Grid Iron (hunchie), IV-Four (QD), or Golden Boy any good? People were just recently bashing the flame so I'm not at all sure about that one.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Washout posted:

I have 7300 hitler gold from my founder pack left. Which mastery pack also has a good Hero mech in it?
Is The Grid Iron (hunchie), IV-Four (QD), or Golden Boy any good? People were just recently bashing the flame so I'm not at all sure about that one.

Don't do the QuickDraw. The grid iron is hilarious now with its gauss perks, holy poo poo. Wtf is the golden boy again?

I have no internet til Monday. loving kill me, goons.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kazvall posted:

Don't do the QuickDraw. The grid iron is hilarious now with its gauss perks, holy poo poo. Wtf is the golden boy again?

I have no internet til Monday. loving kill me, goons.

You could do worse than not post in this thread for an entire weekend.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Drewjitsu posted:

You could do worse than not post in this thread for an entire weekend.

If anything I'll be posting more. Cheers and happy holidays you mooks.

Like, I'm home its just that uverse is a steaming pile of a company.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I'm hoping for some mwo promos sometime, has there been any during past holidays? Got my eye on the orion/cataphract mastery bundles. Shame they don't have raven/awesome bundles.

I've been grinding out griffins these few days and I don't feel SRMs are holding up compared to when I last played about a year and half ago. They've got these SRM range quirks when what I need is more heat efficiency to keep up against mechs with heat efficiency or clan bots.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Bundle question: For someone who has 2 of the firestarters, is that bundle worth it?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Thronde posted:

Bundle question: For someone who has 2 of the firestarters, is that bundle worth it?

The ember is fun but I want to say no.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
No it's probably not. Ember is hilariously powerful in deathmatch whatever but it's sub par in CW. Firestarters S and A are the king poo poo.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
How does the Raven-3L pilot? I was thinking about grabbing a light for my second mech, and I am choosing between the Firestarter and the Raven, but leaning towards the Raven for the ECM (and I liked them in MW4). I know that I like playing the Trial FS9 though.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Slaan posted:

How does the Raven-3L pilot? I was thinking about grabbing a light for my second mech, and I am choosing between the Firestarter and the Raven, but leaning towards the Raven for the ECM (and I liked them in MW4). I know that I like playing the Trial FS9 though.

Not as well as it used to.

-a guy with 1.7 million 3L mech xp.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So tell me how I could make this less stupid, because I don't think I can remove the stupid entirely.

I want a quick, scout worthy LRM mech with either long range ballistic or energy poke. I'm thinking either Adder, Kitfox or Stormcrow, but I really don't know poo poo about the game since from before launch so I'm probably missing a really good option, or just one being the superior choice. Furthermore are LRMs just not worth the use now is another problem, I don't see much use of them. If not that, would an SRM boat of the same general idea work out?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Jumpjets for maneuverability are a big deal with lights frankly and I shy away from lights that don't have them. Oxide would probably be tolerable to decent if it had jumpjets. Huginn is actually a pretty decent Raven but not as good in CW because machine guns don't go as far (same reason Ember isn't the best). Is there another Raven with JJs? If 4X has them that might be a consideration.

If you can make your lasers do work, spiders aren't bad, but they're pretty undergunned.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah, looking at 4X it almost looks viable for CW with 5 JJ slots. I might buy one to experiment with if I get a chance to play tonight or tomorrow.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Muh 13 kills.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Paramemetic posted:

Jumpjets for maneuverability are a big deal with lights frankly and I shy away from lights that don't have them. Oxide would probably be tolerable to decent if it had jumpjets. Huginn is actually a pretty decent Raven but not as good in CW because machine guns don't go as far (same reason Ember isn't the best). Is there another Raven with JJs? If 4X has them that might be a consideration.

If you can make your lasers do work, spiders aren't bad, but they're pretty undergunned.

I'm not mucking with CW yet but that's a pretty good point. I'll have to see where I stand once I work up the money for the Stormcrow since I've been messing with the Firestarter for the moment.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
It's also worth noting that if I'm experimenting with a mech it's probably bad since I tend to like mechs that give me an excuse when I die horribly and which also let me gloat hard when I win. Big fan of locusts, for example (but I don't bring them to CW again because of the JJ lack).

I basically am an experimental light pilot and a bad.

Also if you want to CW with WoL don't do a Stormcrow, they're mad expensive and won't contribute to a IS dropdeck. Unless you're just doing one to have fun in which case good choice because they own.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I'm not looking to do CW any time soon, just solo and duo/triple queue with a couple friends. Need to be sure I won't burn out WoT style before I really get into the deep end. So experimental light shenanigans is exactly my poo poo right now.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Dramicus posted:

Muh 13 kills.

Nice job, bud.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Orv posted:

Yeah I'm not looking to do CW any time soon, just solo and duo/triple queue with a couple friends. Need to be sure I won't burn out WoT style before I really get into the deep end. So experimental light shenanigans is exactly my poo poo right now.

I will not accept this. You play CW with trial mechs right now, mister! Because I can't, you must.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kazvall posted:

I will not accept this. You play CW with trial mechs right now, mister! Because I can't, you must.

Hmmm, solo queue or WoL mumble? A difficult choice.

• Locked thread