Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Forktoss posted:

But like I said, she and Twelve proved to be a great TARDIS team in Series 8, so I can't complain too much.

I wonder if Coleman was really considering it after Matt left, since she might have been worried it wouldn't feel the "same". But Calpaldi really won her over. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I really liked the reveal with the DVD list - it at least gave a reason for why they had so many film references other than "hey references".

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
I still haven't seen it, but the thread seems positive. However, I literally hate dream plots with a fiery passion and Amy's Choice is the only episode I loving despise in all of season 5. Is this one like that?

Ninja edit: (I get that Amy's Choice does have actual stakes in that it reveals/emphasizes the different motivations of characters and blah blah. Still hate it)

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Glenn_Beckett posted:

I still haven't seen it, but the thread seems positive. However, I literally hate dream plots with a fiery passion and Amy's Choice is the only episode I loving despise in all of season 5. Is this one like that?

Very.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

At the end will I say aloud: "oh, so none of that mattered at all?"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Did it seem to anyone else that Capaldi was channelling Tom Baker again at times, as he did in Mummy On The Orient Express?

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Glenn_Beckett posted:

I wouldn't go that far. For The Doctor at least, there's some nice and possibly next-series-informing character progression that the dreams are the catalyst for.

But yes, it's very, very dream-y.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

Matinee posted:

I wouldn't go that far. For The Doctor at least, there's some nice and possibly next-series-informing character progression that the dreams are the catalyst for.

But yes, it's very, very dream-y.

That I can actually get behind.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
After the monsters which kill you for thinking about them I was going to make a joke about escalating to monsters which kill you for existing. Then I realized that that's just the Daleks.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
That was a ruddy great episode......if you don't think about it too hard. Which, since it's supposed to be watched post-Xmas dinner, when everyone is too fat and tired to move, is perfect.

I loved the bait-and-switch with old-Clara, and thought the callback with the cracker was a really nice touch. I get the feeling that it was originally written as a possible goodbye scene at one point. Glad she's staying on though, Jenna Coleman absolutely knocked it out the park last season and the sort of chemistry her and Peter Capaldi have is pretty rare to see.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The music with the woman bellowing was a little too much for a quiet scene between Clara and the Doctor.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think this episode doesn't have the problem that most other dream episodes do (including Amy's Choice) - there are actual 'real life' stakes that are established fairly early, so you can't claim it matters less than any other Doctor Who episode.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Pastamania posted:

That was a ruddy great episode......if you don't think about it too hard. Which, since it's supposed to be watched post-Xmas dinner, when everyone is too fat and tired to move, is perfect.

I loved the bait-and-switch with old-Clara, and thought the callback with the cracker was a really nice touch. I get the feeling that it was originally written as a possible goodbye scene at one point. Glad she's staying on though, Jenna Coleman absolutely knocked it out the park last season and the sort of chemistry her and Peter Capaldi have is pretty rare to see.

I thought it was said somewhere that Coleman originally wanted to leave after Season 8, but she changed her mind, so it might very well have been.

Also, looking through the credits, the elf that wasn't Finn from Misfits was Dan Starkey, aka All the Sontarans.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

That loving owned. Its not as good as the Christmas Carol episode (and I could rave all day about how amazing and beautiful that bit of telly is) but I really, really enjoyed that and it made my already great day even better.

Plus, Santa is canon now.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
I'll come back in when I've had a chance to watch the episode but just wanted to say BSam: thanks for the wife-scarer! There's nothing like quietly moving a standee into the doorway of a room that someone's just entered.

And the book looks pretty awesome too!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I loved that, definitely Christmas Carol and the first time I think Moffat's come close to his first series. Did the Moffat thing of tapping into primal fears and actually managed to combine two, with the impossibility of knowing for sure it's a dream (the final scene was unsettlingly ambiguous) and the monsters which kill you if you think about them. Santa just owned every scene he was in, and Clara's fake ending felt sweet and sad and kind of appropriate that the Doctor would miss out on her life like she missed out on his last year. I did like that they got a happy ending though, hopefully Clara will remain entertaining next year and when Jenna Coleman does finally leave she'll hopefully get an ending which isn't super sad and tragic, because it gets wearying when those happen every single time a companion leaves.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Payndz posted:

Did it seem to anyone else that Capaldi was channelling Tom Baker again at times, as he did in Mummy On The Orient Express?

I was going to say, the bits in the research station reminded me a lot of a Pertwee or Baker episode, or one of the Troughton era base under siege stories.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Haven't seen the Christmas Special yet, but Doctor Who is trending on Facebook so it must have been really good or really really bad. Seeing the goon reactions thus far I'm optimistically thinking it was probably good.

Really looking forward to getting off work tonight and enjoying it.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Scanned the last few pages and it seems that apparently I'm the only one who has an intense dislike for Capaldi's Doctor and is only watching his run to keep up, in the hopes the next Doctor won't be such a depressing shitheel?

I have respect for the older rear end in a top hat Doctor from the past, but Capaldi's Doctor just seems like Moffat throwing out 50 years of character development.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Thanks to my santa for getting me a humble bundles worth of books. Hope this dalek empire thing is good

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Esroc posted:

Scanned the last few pages and it seems that apparently I'm the only one

No good post has ever begun like this.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rat Flavoured Rats posted:

I have a massive crush on Faye Marsay.

Also, yes, best Christmas special.

I'm torn on her character. On the one hand, she's a really good decoy companion. (She's clearly there so that when they do the Clara-is-elderly fakeout that you assume she's the replacement.). On the other, that's because she's basically Lucie from Big Finish. Like, if they'd gotten Sheridan Smith to play her, I'm pretty sure BF would be owed some money.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Esroc posted:

Scanned the last few pages and it seems that apparently I'm the only one who has an intense dislike for Capaldi's Doctor and is only watching his run to keep up, in the hopes the next Doctor won't be such a depressing shitheel?

I have respect for the older rear end in a top hat Doctor from the past, but Capaldi's Doctor just seems like Moffat throwing out 50 years of character development.

100% agree. He's a horrible shitbag. The consensus seems to be 'he's just the Doctor without the usual social niceties or filter', but the social niceties that the Doctor picked up turned him into, well, Doctors 2 to 11.

I do actually like the idea of a Doctor being a bit cold and calculating for pragmatism's sake/the greater good (which is why I like Seven, for instance) but let's be honest, there's no tactical advantage to not giving a gently caress about people's names/who they are. It's just bare-faced prickery.

It's like he rescues people and saves lives because it's a dumb job he hates, as opposed to a learned and (by now) cherished vocation from centuries of experience.

OK (if a bit clever-clever) episode otherwise, but Capaldi's Doctor is really dragging stuff down for me.

Gaz-L posted:

I'm torn on her character. On the one hand, she's a really good decoy companion. (She's clearly there so that when they do the Clara-is-elderly fakeout that you assume she's the replacement.). On the other, that's because she's basically Lucie from Big Finish. Like, if they'd gotten Sheridan Smith to play her, I'm pretty sure BF would be owed some money.

I thought the exact same thing when I was watching it. Gobby but at the same time likeably doofy - Lucie Miller all over. She'd have been an awesome companion.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 26, 2014

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

From everything I've read, Twelve is still really defining who he actually is.

Capaldi is in it for the long haul so I think they're actually trying for an eventual evolution from the abrasive way Twelve is now to an incarnation of the Doctor many will probably really miss once his regeneration into Thirteen takes place.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Doctor Who really needs to lay off the "thing makes a beep-beep noise like a car locking" gag. Do cars even do that any more?

kender
Dec 15, 2000
Forum Veteran
Couldn't live up to a Christmas Carol, and a lot of Moffat Moffating about, but it had two really good moments that I think stuck well for it.

Dream Danny "I didn't die to save the world. Just her, the rest of you lot got lucky" was just bad rear end and sappy at the same time.

And Santa's "It's bigger on the inside, duh" was a nice take on an ancient joke.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

There is so much fascination with the world written in Capaldi's face. He's very good at subtly playing notes that aren't the "autistic alien who is sarcastic" note that's on the surface. I'm kind of in love with him. And will kiss him. Hard.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Welp, just got off iPlayer with several shots of vodka to keep me warm. That was rather fun. Nick Frost as Santa was pretty much exactly what I expected and hoped for. I don't mind admitting I was grinning like :haw: during his reveal at the end of the season. "Don't look at it, don't even think about it", a very Moffat monster gimmick, and he does them well. Playing up the whole Alien thing then paying it off with the list at the end was a nice touch. Lots of nice touches throughout, really. Trying to read in a dream is always a dead giveaway that you're dreaming, so using the manuals as a guide worked well. Danny Pink loves Clara so much that even a dream Danny will do whatever it takes to save her. :3: Yes, one last Christmas with elderly Clara would've been a nice sendoff for the character, but I'm really enjoying the chemistry between Capaldi and Coleman, so I'm glad she's sticking around for another season. On the whole, some fun spooky christmassy stuff, and there's a tangerine at the end because there always is.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

AndyElusive posted:

From everything I've read, Twelve is still really defining who he actually is.

Capaldi is in it for the long haul so I think they're actually trying for an eventual evolution from the abrasive way Twelve is now to an incarnation of the Doctor many will probably really miss once his regeneration into Thirteen takes place.

Twelve is going to be Six done right (and with enough time to make it happen, Capaldi willing).

The fake ending totally got me, bravo show.

e: One thing I loved was Clara's initial "Wait. What? Shut up." type response to Santa on the roof. Twelve is rubbing off on her. :allears:

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 26, 2014

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

One Swell Foop posted:

I'll come back in when I've had a chance to watch the episode but just wanted to say BSam: thanks for the wife-scarer! There's nothing like quietly moving a standee into the doorway of a room that someone's just entered.

And the book looks pretty awesome too!

How did two separate Santas both think about Festival of Death?

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
I was really impressed with this episode (I too have missed that noise). Everything seemed to fit nicely into everything else, and I thought that this was clara's last episode due to the fake ending.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I watched this episode at the onset of a migraine. My migraine onsets are characterized by sharp pain localized on one of my temples. Is this the real life?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Jsor posted:

I watched this episode at the onset of a migraine. My migraine onsets are characterized by sharp pain localized on one of my temples. Is this the real life?

Check a random two-digit page of this thread and read the first word.

Let's say page 16.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Solaris Knight posted:

How did two separate Santas both think about Festival of Death?

wibbly wobbly timey wimey...

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

westyx posted:

I was really impressed with this episode (I too have missed that noise). Everything seemed to fit nicely into everything else, and I thought that this was clara's last episode due to the fake ending.

Yeah, this was definitely a Moffat episode but this was Moffat at his best. His story beats put together well which doesn't always happen.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

adhuin posted:

Check a random two-digit page of this thread and read the first word.

Let's say page 16.

I did that. The word is the amazing and ever-useful: "yeah."

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Funny, it was "chocolate" for me...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Well, it's pretty much Inception, but with the Doctor. There are actual stakes and peoples' lives are in danger, but the vast majority of the episode doesn't actually happen in the real, physical world.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Mokinokaro posted:

Funny, it was "chocolate" for me...

Oh no! It is happening! :aaa:

We have to decode this message to learn the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I really think the part at the end with Old Clara was intended to be a send-off for her initially, then swapped around once she decided to stay.

The dreams try to make you happy, to want to stay in them. What then is the logic of having Clara be old, close to death and apparently having lived her life alone? What makes much more sense is that the young Clara was going to be the fantasy, and Old Clara was the reality. The episode would have played out pretty much the same, with Clara the last person remaining in the sleigh wanting to stay in the dream as long as she can.

As we saw, the Doctor wakes up and goes to save Clara. He removes the parasite to uncover young Clara, healthy and young, and they both happily run out to resume adventuring in the TARDIS. Just as they are about to step into the TARDIS however Clara stops and tells the Doctor she can't go with him. He asks why, and she says she has to wake up.

Cut to the Doctor waking up again in the volcano, running off to save Clara, only this time he removes the parasite to discover old Clara. Her dream was having one last adventure with the Doctor, one last Christmas.

I'd bet good money that's how the episode originally ended.

• Locked thread