Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Just want to chime in and say thank you thread. I had a terrible day yesterday feeling more depressed/anxious than usual and this thread made me feel better this morning, even if it is for a short while. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSmilingJackal
Apr 30, 2007

Don't worry, it's a very heavy feather.

Choco1980 posted:

reminds me of my friend bosco:

He's got the same underbite but you cant see it well here. He's actually happy in this picture.

Happy? No. Bosco is.... displeased.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
My parents mostly just give me a bunch of money on Christmas and my birthday, because they're upper-middle class and I live on disability social security, which due to not keeping up with inflation leaves nothing leftover for luxuries. This year, my baby sister turned 8, and discovered Santa Claus wasn't real. I guess she got some money from my parents too, because this year under the tree there's several rectangular boxes that make lego noises when you shake them that have my name on them. They all say "From Santa" in sloppy handwriting. :3:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

TheSmilingJackal posted:

Happy? No. Bosco is.... displeased.

hehe, like I said, you can't see it well in the photo, but Bosco has a permanent scowling underbite. From what I'm told he survived a hit and run to end up like that, and is otherwise perfectly healthy. Even in the best of moods, that's how he looks.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Gorilla Salad posted:

I had a wonderful moment today when I went into the break room and the Japanese news was just finishing.

Their closing report was on capybaras at a zoo going swimming with potatoes.

Yeah the Japanese are nuts for them, even more than me. The zoos brought them over in the 60s and billed them as "the animal that likes hot springs as much as we do".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOcVBJIod8A

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Dec 23, 2014

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Not a picture, but a story that still makes me pretty drat happy despite it happening a couple weeks ago.

On November 15, I was in a really bad car accident. My femur on my right side broke through the back of the hip joint, breaking the pelvis and the hip itself in an "s" shape. I had two procedures. The first one was done in the trauma bay, which was to pull my right leg out of my hip and keep it in place until I could have a proper surgery a few days later. The second was to get the skeletal traction out and to put two rows of plates and screws in my hip and pelvis area. I've been out of work since the accident, since I physically cannot walk, let alone do my job.

I had some personal time saved up, but not enough to cover the entire 6 months I'll be out of work, and even then, it's still too soon to tell if I'm able to do my job once I get back. I've already used up all of my sick time and FMLA after I injured my left knee over the summer. I have the paperwork to apply for long term disability, since that seems to be my only hope at this point.

About a week after I was discharged from the hospital, I get a letter in the mail from work. My coworkers donated almost two weeks of their paid personal time to me. Like... they gave up their vacation time, just so I could use it. The donations are confidential, so I have no idea who to thank. I know it's not much in the long run, but It still makes me tear up from their generosity.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
That's cool they did that for you. I also broke my pelvis a few years ago - my teen brothers' church youth group all pooled money together for me to help with my bills. It's really cool when people reach out to help you.

Sounds like your break was worse than mine (mine was totally my pelvis, my legs were actually fine). If you ever want to bitch about hip problems, PT, surgeries, or lack of mobility issues, feel free to pm or email me at my username at gmail. Hang in there.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Miz Kriss posted:

Not a picture, but a story that still makes me pretty drat happy despite it happening a couple weeks ago.

On November 15, I was in a really bad car accident. My femur on my right side broke through the back of the hip joint, breaking the pelvis and the hip itself in an "s" shape. I had two procedures. The first one was done in the trauma bay, which was to pull my right leg out of my hip and keep it in place until I could have a proper surgery a few days later. The second was to get the skeletal traction out and to put two rows of plates and screws in my hip and pelvis area. I've been out of work since the accident, since I physically cannot walk, let alone do my job.

I had some personal time saved up, but not enough to cover the entire 6 months I'll be out of work, and even then, it's still too soon to tell if I'm able to do my job once I get back. I've already used up all of my sick time and FMLA after I injured my left knee over the summer. I have the paperwork to apply for long term disability, since that seems to be my only hope at this point.

About a week after I was discharged from the hospital, I get a letter in the mail from work. My coworkers donated almost two weeks of their paid personal time to me. Like... they gave up their vacation time, just so I could use it. The donations are confidential, so I have no idea who to thank. I know it's not much in the long run, but It still makes me tear up from their generosity.

:3: It's always kinda sweet to hear about these stories. In Massachusetts, it takes an act of the state legislature to set up a sick bank for state employees (we probably should have a system that does it), and it's always a little heartwarming that so many departments and agencies go through the process of getting them passed and set up so that they can help out their coworkers.1

See, e.g., 2014 Mass. Acts ch. 384, available at https://malegislature.gov/Laws/SessionLaws/Acts/2014/Chapter384.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

DrBouvenstein posted:

Take a look at this jerk-rear end tortoise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4thJnyiEXc

"Stop that, Mr. Simpson."

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

:allears:

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Aww! The angle makes it look like she pressed open the bars to pose. I just had my new baby rats delivered today!

Little rats are SO LITTLE.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Otterly ridiculous!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

When I was a kid I had a hamster that chewed the bars of its cage. Nothing unusual there, most rodents I've owned have done similar, even when they have plenty of other things available to gnaw on. This hamster though, she chewed in only one corner, on only two bars. She chewed those bars for a year or more, and we thought nothing of it until the morning I came downstairs and found those two, thin, weakened bars pushed wide enough apart for a hamster's head (and therefore a whole hamster) to fit through.

She was in a dark corner, cheerfully eating the carpet.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

goatface posted:

When I was a kid I had a hamster that chewed the bars of its cage. Nothing unusual there, most rodents I've owned have done similar, even when they have plenty of other things available to gnaw on.

Do they ever :stare: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=734413836654896

Also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chkZq1309T8

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 16:52 on Dec 24, 2014

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

This picture makes me nervous, since as a kid, I found one of my hamsters one morning, having tried to escape through the wires high up in the cage, getting caught and choking. :(

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Capys sound like they're shooting space lasers.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

If HR Giger had invented the rabbit

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

♪ Jingity jing (Chrp chrp chrp chrp) /
It's Dan the Capybara! /
Jingity jing (Chrp chrp chrp chrp) /
The Christmas Capybara! ♪

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Holy poo poo I don't think I realized just how big Capys were before until this.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

EVG posted:

Aww! The angle makes it look like she pressed open the bars to pose. I just had my new baby rats delivered today!

Little rats are SO LITTLE.

Awww! I love those little snugglebugs! Do they have names yet? :3:

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
"Come on, seriously?"

That's a peanut butter filled bone he got about 5 minutes ago. Henry also pushed Seb away from his meatloaf/bacon juice covered dinner tonight, such a pushover.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

goatface posted:

When I was a kid I had a hamster that chewed the bars of its cage. Nothing unusual there, most rodents I've owned have done similar, even when they have plenty of other things available to gnaw on. This hamster though, she chewed in only one corner, on only two bars. She chewed those bars for a year or more, and we thought nothing of it until the morning I came downstairs and found those two, thin, weakened bars pushed wide enough apart for a hamster's head (and therefore a whole hamster) to fit through.

She was in a dark corner, cheerfully eating the carpet.

Mys sister's old hamster just squeezed through the bars instead. It escaped several times and made a little pile of seeds and crap in the corner of the bathroom.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Violet_Sky posted:

Awww! I love those little snugglebugs! Do they have names yet? :3:

They came with the names "Cookie" and "Pixel", but I am thinking Donna Noble and Sara Jane Smith, because our other two rats are Amelia Pond and Rose Tyler. :3: (Could go with Martha or Clara, but they never really grew on me.)

EVG has a new favorite as of 03:43 on Dec 25, 2014

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Edit:

edit 2:

blunt for century has a new favorite as of 05:00 on Dec 25, 2014

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
My friend brought a surprise guest to our Christmas party.

off_kilter
Mar 24, 2011
Here is a fatty fat marmot eating a cracker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=681jBBjRyq8

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Gorgolflox posted:

Very exciting.

Cute tankbabby

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Hummingbird mother is a good mother.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_2Z9ff3HQ

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Hummingbirds always worry me because their little metabolisms work so fast they're pretty much perpetually on the brink of starvation. :ohdear: Put your hummingbird feeders out, folks.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

My cousin and her husband got a puppy!

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?
Oh, they got a good puppy. I can tell.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nightmare Zone
Aug 3, 2014

Do you like sucking jalapenos?
I haven't seen that many family pet Christmas pictures this year oh noooo.

Here's a festive snake who is upside-down.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Nightmare Zone posted:

I haven't seen that many family pet Christmas pictures this year oh noooo.

Here's a festive snake who is upside-down.

being next to so many just-slightly-warm lightbulbs must be like heaven for the little guy. I mean, he's got a :3: face and everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

off_kilter posted:

Here is a fatty fat marmot eating a cracker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=681jBBjRyq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJgtoiErtOY

• Locked thread