Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I suppose that's one way to look at it. Years of 4chan conditioned me to believe that by responding to the troll, you are only aiding their goal, because you are contributing to their attempted disruption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

farraday posted:

Yep, everyone let to be known you should never confuse a racist which is only a type of bigotry, from a bigot who can be unthinkingly prejudiced on a wide variety of topics, not just the social construction of race/ ethnicity.

Just an aside here - "not just the social construction of race/ethnicity." Whether or not race/ethnicity is a social construct has nothing whatsoever to do with the thrust of your post or of the discussion at large. Did you just forget yourself, or did you feel compelled to tack that on because it might improve your standing in the Something Awful branch of the far-ranging pseudo-liberal Internet echo chamber?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I suppose that's one way to look at it. Years of 4chan conditioned me to believe that by responding to the troll, you are only aiding their goal, because you are contributing to their attempted disruption.

It kind of depend son the nature of the comment in question. Like i said the racism/bigotry thing is something that has come up repeatedly and it's always good to clarify for people that they've correctly identified prejudice and that the pedantic quibble is easily corrected.

An attempt to make up an entire aside argument and drag you into that though is clearly one of those times where you should just straight up ignore their attempt to derail.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

farraday posted:

Falling for what. The distinction between bigotry and racism is something bigots have brought up repeatedly in this thread and it's predecessors to excuse their bigotry and the point should be clarified for readers. Also i question the assertion that Peta is a troll. Him and his ilk seem to be engaged is post0ironic outlooks where extremism is the only form of sincerity. The fact his statements are beyond the bounds of reasonably shared frames of reference only makes him a troll to the extent you think your fellow posters are inherently reasonable.

What you do is clarify your position on the point in contention, ignore the fringe poster regardless of his or her possible sincerity in their fringe outlook and move on.

Dude do you ever interact with real people not on the Internet

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Peta posted:

Dude do you ever interact with real people not on the Internet

Do you? I honestly can't understand the people who come to threads on D&D and then whine about how everything's an echo-chamber when people ignore their obnoxious and transparent trolling. If you actually had bothered reading this thread you would find that people keep arguing because they disagree. It's not an echo-chamber. You are being treated like a troll and not taken seriously because you act like a troll. Have good-faith arguments and start making sense and maybe people will bother arguing back.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

People ARE arguing back. Look around, bozo!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Peta posted:

People ARE arguing back. Look around, bozo!

I'm looking around and I'm seeing people wanting you to go away. You think you're finding amazing flaws in their logic, but really they're just phoning it in because you're obviously trolling.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Show me them phoning it in.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Peta posted:

Show me them phoning it in.

No problem:

farraday posted:

The old "I'm not a racist I'm a bigot" defense.

farraday posted:

A pedant and a bigot?

farraday posted:

Yep, everyone let to be known you should never confuse a racist which is only a type of bigotry, from a bigot who can be unthinkingly prejudiced on a wide variety of topics, not just the social construction of race/ ethnicity.

Until such time as Peta shows his bigotry also extends to race we should be careful to refer to him as a bigot as that's how he self-identifies, and not as a racist.

Also you may wish to ignore bigots.

Problem solved.

eSports Chaebol posted:

You can't fool us, takfir

Or, to illustrate:
:morning::hf::phoneb::phoneline::phoneline::phone::hf::frogout:

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Yeah, but on the other hand:

farraday posted:

Falling for what. The distinction between bigotry and racism is something bigots have brought up repeatedly in this thread and it's predecessors to excuse their bigotry and the point should be clarified for readers. Also i question the assertion that Peta is a troll. Him and his ilk seem to be engaged is post0ironic outlooks where extremism is the only form of sincerity. The fact his statements are beyond the bounds of reasonably shared frames of reference only makes him a troll to the extent you think your fellow posters are inherently reasonable.

What you do is clarify your position on the point in contention, ignore the fringe poster regardless of his or her possible sincerity in their fringe outlook and move on.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Peta posted:

Yeah, but on the other hand:

They're talking about you, not with you. Do you know the difference? You do realize that when people are laughing about you it's not a good sign, right?

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Not my problem.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Peta posted:

Not my problem.
Surely you want to make a difference in these forums, right? Burst their bubble, get them to see another point of view? Can't do that if you're stuck in the trollzone.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

It doesn't matter to me whether people who will never impact the world have the same views that I have.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Peta posted:

It doesn't matter to me whether people who will never impact the world have the same views that I have.

Then I guess we are back where this started. Why are you here? Why are you posting?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Then I guess we are back where this started. Why are you here? Why are you posting?

"Because it's there" - Kurt Everest, 1943

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I find it hilarious that D&D people, when confronted with apparent Islamophobia, immediately start accusing the person of racism against Arabs, insisting that they're post-ironic and a boring troll, and then attempting to convince them to shut up in a way that wouldn't sway the wiltingest flower. Christ almighty.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Bait and Swatch posted:

Anyone have a link for information regarding the status of ISIL presence in the Baghdad Belts? I haven't been able to find any updates since October.

ISIS just routed some Shia militias north of the city. The belts are still contested.

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2014/12/islamic_state_routs_1.php#ixzz3Mx36DCzK

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Effectronica posted:

I find it hilarious that D&D people, when confronted with apparent Islamophobia, immediately start accusing the person of racism against Arabs, insisting that they're post-ironic and a boring troll, and then attempting to convince them to shut up in a way that wouldn't sway the wiltingest flower. Christ almighty.

That does sound lame, what would you do instead?

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005
Should I be thankful that there didn't seem to be any major attacks against Christian minorities in any war-torn Middle Eastern (or at least, Muslim-majority) countries this year? Is it a Christmas miracle? I made sure to check it was really over before I posted this. I've never thought that at any point I'm just glad for the most part, this day just consisted of low-effort trolls and flame wars instead of death tolls.

makes u think

edit: I did quick Googling of various phrases but outside of attacks in Kenya on the 2nd, not much came up. I'm gonna feel like poo poo if I go back to bed and wake up disappointed in the morning. :(

edit2: Will feel even worse if I failed to take account for different days/rites or whatever ancient bullshit

Bastaman Vibration fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 26, 2014

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Dunno, but I wouldn't try to imply that hating a religion is as bad as hating a race of people. loving nobody anywhere honestly believes they're in the same moral ballpark, I'd be surprised if even the guy who posted it does.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
We're on the Internet, either ignore them or otherwise be crass and dismissive. This is basic stuff guys, you all actually fell for "Islam is not a race lol".

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

If you don't want to test out your own understanding of why hatred of Islam is bad by committing it to text, I would suggest ignoring him.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
I am glad to know that people are putting a poster on their ignore list because it matters to me how they view this thread.

Thank you for never ceasing to do that ever everyone.

Your not a racist badge is in the mail.

also obviously anyone who thinks clit cutting is problematic is a troll of course who could believe that

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

AllanGordon posted:

I am glad to know that people are putting a poster on their ignore list because it matters to me how they view this thread.

Thank you for never ceasing to do that ever everyone.

Your not a racist badge is in the mail.

also obviously anyone who thinks clit cutting is problematic is a troll of course who could believe that

"Problematic".

This is all well and good but wouldn't you agree stuffing jews into gas chambers is worse? But of course anyone who thinks Christianity is barbaric because of it is a troll who could believe that huh.

I'd take Muslims 9 times out of 10 over some blood thirsty Christian who's likely to massacre myself and my people every time he needs a scapegoat for some dumb reason or another.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

MothraAttack posted:

ISIS just routed some Shia militias north of the city. The belts are still contested.

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2014/12/islamic_state_routs_1.php#ixzz3Mx36DCzK

Thanks for that.

Peta posted:

You never know who you are talking to on an internet forum. Just to give you two quick and easy examples, I would say Vilerat and Brown Moses have had an impact.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

With people like Peta you can just call them a moron and move on. Differentiating the pedantic nuances of the various bigotries aren't all that important. As an atheist I find it disturbing when people try to say one religion is worse than another, because it almost always is a bad faith argument. Islam is not any worse than Christianity, Judiasm, or whatever else. Historically they are equally poo poo.
Its even more hilarious when people say they just hate Islam, and not Muslims, and then go on to decry D&D as a liberal echo chamber.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Religion sucks, convert to atheism today!

FREE YOUR MIND!

Sergg fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 26, 2014

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

the boston bomber posted:

With people like Peta you can just call them a moron and move on. Differentiating the pedantic nuances of the various bigotries aren't all that important. As an atheist I find it disturbing when people try to say one religion is worse than another, because it almost always is a bad faith argument. Islam is not any worse than Christianity, Judiasm, or whatever else. Historically they are equally poo poo.
Its even more hilarious when people say they just hate Islam, and not Muslims, and then go on to decry D&D as a liberal echo chamber.

Hahahahaha holy poo poo how sensationally ignorant do you have to be to claim that Judaism is historically as bad as Islam

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

check out the I/P thread bra, lots of evil poo poo Jews do too.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Peta posted:

Hahahahaha holy poo poo how sensationally ignorant do you have to be to claim that Judaism is historically as bad as Islam

I'm sure there were plenty of Roman Petas who were happy to frame Judaism as a terrorist religion. You certainly adhere to a type that exists throughout history, aping the language of power but having no actual power.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SedanChair posted:

I'm sure there were plenty of Roman Petas who were happy to frame Judaism as a terrorist religion. You certainly adhere to a type that exists throughout history, aping the language of power but having no actual power.

Brits in the 1920s and 30s too.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

Note I don't claim Judiasm is barbaric and evil because of the actions of a few Jews. Because I'm not a bigot.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Peta posted:

So we can all agree Christians are terrible right? Glad we found some middle ground here.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Peta posted:

Since we're now in the low-effort poo poo troll happy hour, go google "biblical genocide" and note the OT-vs.-NT proportion in the results.

To bring slightly more content, it appears that the crashed Jordanian F-16 was an F-16AM, formerly FA-78 from the Belgian Air Force. Here it is, in happier time:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
But Bill Maher said Islam is bad, and he gave a million dollars to Obama and looks very confident. How can my cultural touchstone, Bill Maher, be in error?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I always love seeing the equivalency argument when the Serbs mass executed 8,000 muslims at Srebrenica. It's almost like intolerance and sectarianism are the real issues.

A new Brit has joined ISIS. Name for now is Jonathan Edwards.

gently caress you, mom

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Little Johnny Ed told us he was hardcore. What fools we were when we didn't listen. Now he's going to get hardcore pwn'd soon and be dead.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So we can all agree Christians are terrible right? Glad we found some middle ground here.

Historically yes. Currently Islam is a much larger threat

the boston bomber posted:

Note I don't claim Judiasm is barbaric and evil because of the actions of a few Jews. Because I'm not a bigot.

Violently conquering half the known world was definitely the action of a few Muslims haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
While it seems that every western ISIS recruit is mentally retarded, I guess the question is how many of the non-western recruits are not.

Peta posted:

Violently conquering half the known world was definitely the action of a few Muslims haha

To the benefit of many of the people in those countries.

• Locked thread