Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Peta posted:

Historically yes. Currently Islam is a much larger threat

Violently conquering half the known world was definitely the action of a few Muslims haha

Historically? so all's forgotten after 70 odd years of not butchering minorities wholesale in their own lands? My you have a short memory.

And the Islamic conquest of the first caliphate was a lot less violent than other conquests of similar proportions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

ahaha I'm an idiot and scared of the violent barbaric Muslims who pose such a great threat to my freedom. ahahaha

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

I'm not complaining about Muslims. I'm complaining about the tenets of Islam. This is pretty easy kids

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Peta posted:

I'm not complaining about Muslims. I'm complaining about the tenets of Islam. This is pretty easy kids

Hmm, that really makes you think.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

Do go on about how radically different the tenets of Islam are from Judaism and Christianity.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

the boston bomber posted:

Do go on about how radically different the tenets of Islam are from Judaism and Christianity.

Well to be fair Islam actually has central tenets.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
could we not

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Peta posted:

Tenets like stone women and children?

Volkerball posted:

could we not

I suppose you'd prefer that we narrow our focus to Sunni Islam.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

Say what you will about the tenets of fundamental Christianity. Dude, at least it had ethos.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Volkerball posted:

I always love seeing the equivalency argument when the Serbs mass executed 8,000 muslims at Srebrenica. It's almost like intolerance and sectarianism are the real issues.

A new Brit has joined ISIS. Name for now is Jonathan Edwards.

gently caress you, mom

Oh my god; this is a perfect validation of every stereotype about these expat ISIS volunteers. Just look at him. This is what he looks like in a photograph that he wanted to be taken and publicised.

E: The Kurds will have his lunch money in a week.

Lustful Man Hugs fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 26, 2014

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Well to be fair Islam actually has central tenets.

Haha you are a dumb fucker

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

the boston bomber posted:

Well, for one, it institutionalizes holy war. Neither Judaism nor Christianity has an equivalent to jihad.

Update: It also sanctions polygamy.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Peta posted:

Well, for one, it institutionalizes holy war. Neither Judaism nor Christianity has an equivalent to jihad.

Hmm, cannnot think of theologically supported Jewish or Christian wars. Good point.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Peta posted:

Haha you are a dumb fucker

epic ownage.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Bukhari 6:60:78 posted:

The Jews brought to the Prophet a man and a woman from among them who had committed illegal sexual intercourse. The Prophet said to them, "How do you usually punish the one amongst you who has committed illegal sexual intercourse?" They replied, "We blacken their faces with coal and beat them," He said, "Don't you find the order of Ar-Rajm (i.e. stoning to death) in the Torah?" They replied, "We do not find anything in it." 'Abdullah bin Salam (after hearing this conversation) said to them. "You have told a lie! Bring here the Torah and recite it if you are truthful." (So the Jews brought the Torah). And the religious teacher who was teaching it to them, put his hand over the Verse of Ar-Rajm and started reading what was written above and below the place hidden with his hand, but he did not read the Verse of Ar-Rajm. 'Abdullah bin Salam removed his (i.e. the teacher's) hand from the Verse of Ar-Rajm and said, "What is this?" So when the Jews saw that Verse, they said, "This is the Verse of Ar-Rajm." So the Prophet ordered the two adulterers to be stoned to death, and they were stoned to death near the place where biers used to be placed near the Mosque. I saw her companion (i.e. the adulterer) bowing over her so as to protect her from the stones.

John 8:1-11 posted:

1Jesus returned to the Mount of Olives, 2but early the next morning he was back again at the Temple. A crowd soon gathered, and he sat down and taught them. 3As he was speaking, the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in the act of adultery. They put her in front of the crowd.

4“Teacher,” they said to Jesus, “this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5The law of Moses says to stone her. What do you say?”

6They were trying to trap him into saying something they could use against him, but Jesus stooped down and wrote in the dust with his finger. 7They kept demanding an answer, so he stood up again and said, “All right, but let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone!” 8Then he stooped down again and wrote in the dust.

9When the accusers heard this, they slipped away one by one, beginning with the oldest, until only Jesus was left in the middle of the crowd with the woman. 10Then Jesus stood up again and said to the woman, “Where are your accusers? Didn’t even one of them condemn you?”

11“No, Lord,” she said.

And Jesus said, “Neither do I. Go and sin no more.”

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

OK cool Judaism and Christianity are bad too

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
My inner sperg feels it's important to point out that the parable of the woman caught in adultery was added to the new testament several hundred years after the fact and the earliest manuscripts found do not actually contain it.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Remember that one time in Bible times when a woman got in trouble for cheating on her husband? That really 9/11'd the mood of the New Testament hahaha

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Peta posted:

Remember that one time in Bible times when a woman got in trouble for cheating on her husband? That really 9/11'd the mood of the New Testament hahaha

I was actually helping your point too bad you didn't read the passage it's from a very good book. The second one is anyway.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

emanresu tnuocca posted:

My inner sperg feels it's important to point out that the parable of the woman caught in adultery was added to the new testament several hundred years after the fact and the earliest manuscripts found do not actually contain it.

Conservapedia has (or used to have?) a Bible Rewrite project to remove all the liberal propaganda that had been insidiously added to it by liberals over the years, and this was the example they gave of insidious liberalism that subverts the true values of Christendom.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Volkerball posted:

gently caress you, mom

Thread needs less getting trolled by obvious trolls & cherrypicking of quotes from religious texts and more of this

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Miltank posted:

I was actually helping your point too bad you didn't read the passage it's from a very good book. The second one is anyway.

I don't think Christianity is an admirable belief system

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I'm sorry to hear that friend.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

All 3 abrahamic religions are reprehensible in their own lovely ways.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Peta posted:

I don't think Christianity is an admirable belief system

It's sad to hear just what a piece of poo poo you are.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Volkerball posted:

I always love seeing the equivalency argument when the Serbs mass executed 8,000 muslims at Srebrenica. It's almost like intolerance and sectarianism are the real issues.

gently caress you, mom

Uh oh.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Back in the 19th and 20th century people thought that Europeans were a fierce, warlike people who loved battle and whose thirst for blood couldn't be slaked. It took a few centuries of warfare, ethnic cleansing, genocide, and massive population transfers to achieve political stability in Europe in the past 50 years (not counting Yugoslavia and former USSR countries).

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Peta posted:

Polygamy is also permissible within several branches of modern Judaism.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Peta posted:

So it is good AND bad?

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Squalid posted:

Polygamy is also permissible within several branches of modern Judaism.

Is polygamy explicitly sanctioned in the Torah?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
And, of course, people are trying their best, and their best isn't all that good. Look at how seamlessly things moved from "Islam is the greatest threat to the western world" to "the tenets of Islam are reactionary and backwards" without anybody paying the slightest attention.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
Meanwhile, across the border from the province of Meaningless Slapfights, the Washington Post has an interesting article on Daesh failing at governance.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Vice has an interesting article with a shitload of pictures from Kobane. :nms: for burned bodies

https://news.vice.com/article/in-photos-48-hours-under-siege-by-islamic-state-militants-in-kobane

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 26, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Volkerball posted:

gently caress you, mom

jihidismakingincredulousfacesnexttowesternforeignfighters.tumblr.com

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Volkerball posted:

Vice has an interesting article with a shitload of pictures from Kobane. :nms: for burned bodies

https://news.vice.com/article/in-photos-48-hours-under-siege-by-islamic-state-militants-in-kobane
This is a really, really good and fascinating article. As a warning, most of the pictures are kinda depressing, and there's a couple of :nms: ones as well:

quote:

The charred body of an IS fighter lies in the street. YPG fighters say that IS often burns or beheads its militant after they are killed to avoid having them identified.
--
The charred body of an IS militant killed in a US airstrikes. YPG fighters say the airstrikes have been very helpful but that they need heavy weapons to fully eradicate IS in the city.

Other interesting quotes (really, just go read the whole article):

quote:

Kobane has become a symbol of resistance for those fighting IS. YPG fighters now estimate they control approximately 75 percent of the city, and US military sources say over 1,000 IS militants have been killed.

IS has targeted hospitals in Kobane three times, and the locations of the city's hospitals have since been switched. There are only eight doctors currently operating in the city.

Many civilians have evacuated Kobane, but some are still holding out and refuse to leave for Turkey, where refugees live in squalid camps and receive little help from the Turkish government, notorious for its history of oppressing the Kurdish people.

Nearly all fighters VICE News spoke with have a close friend or family member who has been killed in the conflict. This YPG fighter said his brother was martyred. He also apologized for the American journalists that IS has killed, and assured journalists that they are safe in Kobane.

YPG fighters say the airstrikes have been very helpful but that they need heavy weapons to fully eradicate IS in the city. Commander Bilnk, from the Kurdish enclave of Efrin, has been fighting in Kobane for three months. "If we don't have heavy weapons, what can we do?" he said.

The names of three IS fighters written on a wall near one of their former city bases that was eventually hit by a US airstrike. US airstrikes have effectively combatted heavy weaponry held by IS. The strikes, typically numbering between three and five daily, tend to come at night.
I'm certainly fine with arming the Kurds with all the heavy weapons they want.:getin: The Kurds are both the most competent fighting force against daesh (by far) and they're also the group most likely to leave all the ethnic/religious minorities alone once the fighting's done (see the fact that the Yazidis are currently being rescued and kept safe by the Kurds). If Erdoğan starts complaining about the US arming the Kurds directly, well too loving bad, he had his chance to help without direct intervention/arming and he blew it.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 26, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

fade5 posted:

This is a really, really good and fascinating article. As a warning, most of the pictures are kinda depressing, and there's a couple of :nms: ones as well:

Other interesting quotes (really, just go read the whole article):

I'm certainly fine with arming the Kurds with all the heavy weapons they want.:getin: The Kurds are both the most competent fighting force against daesh (by far) and they're also the group most likely to leave all the ethnic/religious minorities alone once the fighting's done (see the fact that the Yazidis are currently being rescued and kept safe by the Kurds). If Erdoğan starts complaining about the US arming the Kurds directly, well too loving bad, he had his chance to help without direct intervention/arming and he blew it.

Whoops. I made a mental note to NMS it, but forgot. Edited.

On another note, Rudaw is the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoqywzeoWX0&t=105s

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

fade5 posted:

The Kurds are both the most competent fighting force against daesh (by far)

No they aren't. Kobane is the capital of a whole canton that was steamrolled by Daesh in a few days. Kobane is currently the focal point of an ongoing battle between Daesh on one side and the YPG, Peshmerga forces, associated FSA fighters and coalition airstrikes on the other. This battle has been going on for weeks now and each and every day we hear new news about how good the fight against ISIS is going. It is a focal point for the Kurds, but a side-battle for ISIS, who are running current operations on 4 different fronts at the same time. The Kurds haven't managed to repel ISIS out of any significant parts of their territory in Syria, and not in Iraq in a sustainable manner without massive external help. The only places they've been forced to bugger off forever is in the Ghouta, Deraa province and Aleppo city (which may change soon), with ongoing battles in Idleb and Aleppo provinces which they are currently loosing. The Kurds, both the YPG and the Peshmerga have fared far worse than most other groups in the conflict when fighting Daesh, and that is with the disproportionate amount of help they've been getting. They aren't ubermesch. Neither are the FSA, the IF, the Syrian Army, the Turks, the Iraqi militias, Daesh or any other group in the region that tries to market itself as unstoppable. They're all bad at it to varying degrees, and the Kurds lost a lot of their prestige as a capable force in their own terrain as soon as a halfway decent thrust came their way. Like France in '39.
These delusions are getting out of hand guys. Daesh is winning, but we keep on seeing stories about how weak their governance is, and how there are racial tensions, and how they're all as high as a kite. It isn't true. The jerks have become popular, simply because they're good at running things and maintaining their own form of twisted justice. They're attracting engineers and doctors from all over the world. They maintain peace and order and keep things running and collect bills. They keep getting better and better and stronger and stronger and more and more organised, they are steamrolling opponents everywhere, recruits are flocking to them and nobody is really trying to stop them, nobody is willing to seriously help those who are trying to. Lets not kid ourselves, everybody is losing to them, including the Kurds. There is literally a massive terrorist state which is organised, educated and motivated steamrolling it's way through the region that supplies most of the world's energy and nobody really wants to do anything about it. What the heck.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Volkerball posted:

gently caress you, mom

"Death to the infidels. Or whatever. I don't even know anymore, man."

I wonder how this kid's gonna work out in ISIS, though; it seems like he's more trouble than he's worth, what with them having to spend all that effort stopping him from cutting his own wrists before he can die like a proper terrorist, blowing up his explosive vest in a school full of kids. :iiam:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Atomizer posted:

"Death to the infidels. Or whatever. I don't even know anymore, man."

I wonder how this kid's gonna work out in ISIS, though; it seems like he's more trouble than he's worth, what with them having to spend all that effort stopping him from cutting his own wrists before he can die like a proper terrorist, blowing up his explosive vest in a school full of kids. :iiam:

Well, my guess is it goes something like this:

Since the English are pussies, ISIS will attempt to ransom him for a million in hard currency and heavy arms through a Turkish proxy; they'd be willing to settle for a few hundred K and no reprisals on the negotiating party.

Some American officers with Kurdish networks may take issue with this, and leak details to somewhere like WaPo or NYT for a Monday newscycle in a manner which weakens Erdogan's perceived legitimacy and forces Clinton to distance herself from her Turkish donor network. So, not good odds that the terrorist is able to be ransomed back to the city.

ISIS' response to this will be to have him create a martyrdom video or enact beheadings without a mask on, for propaganda purposes to increase foreign contributions and manpower. After the individual has outlived his usefulness and no ransom is forthcoming, ISIS may marry him to a Kurdish, Yazidi, or other minority group second-hand, unwanted child sex slave, for propaganda purposes. After, he'll be sent on a suicide mission and die, with his widow therefore entitled to no support because that child is from a dead British convert and not dead true arab.

Either way, kid's dead, whether he knows it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

Volkerball posted:

Whoops. I made a mental note to NMS it, but forgot. Edited.

On another note, Rudaw is the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoqywzeoWX0&t=105s

I like how you can hear the tank creaking in for a bit before it appears on screen, and then it's so loud you can't hear him speak and he has to pause for a bit.

• Locked thread